HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

#22 | New York Islanders vs. Minnesota Wild | Nov 20 | 8:00p

Old
11-19-2009, 11:03 PM
Law

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Law
#22 | New York Islanders vs. Minnesota Wild | Nov 20 | 8:00p

***SPECIAL "FOR NO PARTICULAR REASON, WE JUST NEED TO GET THE LED OUT" EDITION***

Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2009, 11:03 PM
Law

GAME PREVIEW

Last 10 – New York 6-2-2; Minnesota 4-4-2

Season series -- It's the only meeting of the season between the teams, and just the 11th time they've played since Minnesota entered the NHL in 2000. The Wild have won seven of the first 10, including the last four. Minnesota beat the Islanders twice last season -- 4-2 at home and 6-2 at the Nassau Coliseum.

Big story -- The Islanders, one of the NHL's most offensively challenged teams over the past couple of seasons, have been scoring in bunches. They've produced four or more goals in five consecutive games -- their longest such streak since December 1993 -- and are off to a far better start than anyone could have expected. Their biggest problem has been holding leads -- the Isles have blown multi-goal leads six times already this season.

The Wild continue to be plagued by inconsistency and a lack of offense. They lost 3-2 at home to Phoenix on Wednesday in a game that saw Minnesota twice tie the game in the third period, only to allow the Coyotes to go back in front. Scottie Upshall's game-winner came 19 seconds after Antti Miettinen tied the game for the Wild.

Team Scope:

Islanders -- The Islanders are 2-0-2 on a seven-game road trip, but had three days to go home and rest after Monday's 4-1 win at Boston -- their fourth game in six days. With a 7-2-2 mark after a 1-4-5 start, there's a palpable feeling of confidence growing on the Island.

"There's a confidence in the room now that if we play our game we're going to have success," coach Scott Gordon said. "We've played four games in six days and from my side it's good to see, with the little practice time we've had, we haven't gotten off our game plan. It's very encouraging."

Wild -- The scoreboard said Wednesday's game was a 3-2 loss, but Minnesota coach Todd Richards saw little that he liked in his team's performance.

"This is probably our poorest, I think, performance of the year," the first-year coach said. "We had spurts in the third period. They pretty much controlled and dictated everything going on in the first period, and I would say a good portion of the second."

Minnesota is 0-2-2 in its last four games after winning four of five.

Who's hot -- Matt Moulson, picked up as a minor-league free agent this summer, has thrived on Long Island with a team-leading 10 goals. He's helped by playing with John Tavares, who leads all rookies with 9 goals and 19 points. … Minnesota captain Mikko Koivu's two assists in the loss to Phoenix moved him into fourth place on the team's all-time scoring list with 204 points. He leads the Wild with 20 points in 21 games.

Injury report -- Islanders defenseman Brendan Witt missed Monday's game for personal reasons but is back with the team and may play. … The Wild are still without center Pierre-Marc Bouchard (head) and forward Petr Sykora (concussion).

Stat pack -- The Islanders have won just once in six trips to the Xcel Energy Center. They have never scored more than four goals against the Wild; in contrast, Minnesota has four or more goals in six of its 10 meetings with the Isles, including each of the last four.

Puck drop -- New York is coming off a much-needed break before playing three road games in four nights. Given that the Isles are putting goals on the board, the Wild can't afford another slow start.

LINEUPS/INJURIES

.........................LW..................................................C..................................................RW.........................
Matt MoulsonJohn TavaresRichard Park
Sean BergenheimFrans NielsenKyle Okposo
Jon SimJosh BaileyTrent Hunter
Blake ComeauNate ThompsonTim Jackman

.........................D..................................................D.........................
Mark StreitBruno Gervais
Freddy MeyerAndy Sutton
Jack HillenAndy MacDonald

..............................G..............................
Dwayne Roloson
Martin Biron

INSIDE SHOTS:
It's easy to forget sometimes that Josh Bailey is still just 20 years old.

The Islanders' first-round pick in the 2008 entry draft, the ninth selection overall, was a healthy scratch Nov. 13 at Carolina. But he returned to the lineup with a strong game the next night in Florida -- including an assist and a perfect night in the faceoff circles.

"You want to show everyone -- your coaches and your teammates -- that you are an important part of this team," Bailey told Newsday. "It was good for me to bounce back."

Bailey has just six points in 20 games entering Friday's visit to Minnesota, but head coach Scott Gordon liked how the young player handled last week's benching.

"I didn't want him to get too comfortable," Gordon said.

ISLANDERS 4, BRUINS 1: If the season ended Monday, the Islanders would be among the top eight teams in the Eastern Conference -- and yes, a playoff participant. Now imagine what their record would be if they only had been more successful in shootouts and overtimes. After playing past regulation time in 10 of their first 20 games, the Isles took it to Boston over the traditional 60 minutes Monday. They were led by two more goals by breakout scorer Matt Moulson and 28 saves by veteran goalie Dwayne Roloson to improve to 8-6-7 at the 21-game quarter pole.

"We were playing bend-not-break for a while," said Moulson, who has a career-high 10 goals. "But it was huge to protect a lead. The most important thing is we got the two points. It doesn't matter how we get them."

NOTES & QUOTES:
• D Brendan Witt was excused from the Islanders' game Monday in Boston because of personal reasons the team didn't disclose, and it was uncertain when he would return.

• D Andy MacDonald was recalled from AHL Bridgeport to replace Brendan Witt. MacDonald, who appeared in three games for the Isles late last season, had one goal and six assists in 19 games this season for the Sound Tigers.

"I played three games up here last year so that gave me a good taste of what it was like and the chance to get the jitterbugs out. Now it's just time for me to show what I can do," MacDonald said. "To be a guy waiting in the wings, you just want to show them a commitment to make it at this level."

Quote To Note:

"There's a level of expectation that we can win. There's the confidence that if we're playing our game, we're going to have success."
—Coach Scott Gordon, after the Isles improved to 2-0-2 on a seven-game road trip with a 4-1 win Monday in Boston.

ROSTER REPORT:

Player Notes:

• LW Matt Moulson, who had six goals in parts of two NHL seasons before signing with the Islanders over the summer, scored twice in a 4-1 win Monday over Boston, giving him a team-best 10 through 21 games.

• C John Tavares also scored the ninth goal of his rookie season for the Isles, extending his point streak to five games (4-4-8).

• RW Richard Park, recently bumped up to the first line, added three assists, giving him six points in his last five games.

Medical Watch:

• G Rick DiPietro, who hasn't played since Jan. 5 of last season due to lingering effects from multiple surgeries on his right knee, has resumed practicing but isn't expected back until at least late November.

• D Radek Martinek suffered a torn ACL in his right knee on Nov. 6 against New Jersey and will miss the remainder of the season.

• C Doug Weight suffered an undisclosed upper body injury Nov. 6 and is expected to be out 4-to-6 weeks.

LINEUPS/INJURIES

.........................LW..................................................C..................................................RW.........................
Andrew BrunetteMikko KoivuAntti Miettinen
Owen NolanEric BelangerMartin Havlat
Robbie EarlKyle BrodziakCal Clutterbuck
Derek BoogaardJames SheppardDanny Irmen

.........................D..................................................D.........................
Brent BurnsGreg Zanon
Nick SchultzMarek Zidlicky
Kim JohnssonShane Hnidy

..............................G..............................
Niklas Backstrom
Josh Harding

INSIDE SHOTS:
If the Wild's skilled players aren't going to listen to coach Todd Richards, he's going to find players who will.

The rookie bench boss has been preaching all season for his players to drive the net, yet some haven't listened.

So with the Wild hit by injuries, Richards has looked to Houston for reserves.

Robbie Earl drove the net Sunday at Carolina, and in his 11th NHL game and second with the Wild, he was rewarded with two goals. On Wednesday, Richards promoted gritty Danny Irmen to make his NHL debut.

"He's a smart player," Richards said of Irmen. "You say something to him and he gets it right away, where there's certain players that you deal with, you might say something to him and maybe it can't translate to going from what they hear, out of their body and onto the ice in their play."

Richards didn't name names, but it's not difficult to figure out when one delves into the stats. Martin Havlat has scored two goals, James Sheppard none.

COYOTES 3, WILD 2: Just 19 seconds after Wild right wing Antti Miettinen tied the score at 2 late in the third period Wednesday night, the Wild surrendered the game-winner to Scottie Upshall with 4:39 left in a 3-2 Phoenix win. Andrew Brunette also scored for the Wild, which is winless in four straight (0-2-2). Coach Todd Richards called the loss the Wild's "poorest performance of the year" after the Wild came out with its stereotypical slow start. "I have to look at myself for the slow starts," said Richards, saying he plans to examine his practices and morning skates to determine if he can "prepare us better." The Coyotes snapped a seven-game losing streak in St. Paul, winning there for the first time since Nov. 8, 2005.

NOTES & QUOTES:
• RW Danny Irmen won't say he would do it all over again if he could, but he never could have envisioned it would take this long to make his NHL debut. Irmen skipped his senior year with the University of Minnesota when he signed with the Wild on April 5, 2006. Wednesday against Phoenix, Irmen cracked Minnesota's lineup for the first time.

"I think every young kid comes out and expects to be an NHLer," Irmen said. "And once you get here [you] realize it's not as easy as you think it is. Grinding it out in the minors really gives you a lot of character. I think those 3 1/2 years have been really important for my hockey career.

"Twenty years playing hockey, it's pretty neat to get the call and know I'm playing.

• LW Robbie Earl played his first home game Wednesday. The former Wisconsin Badger wasn't exactly beloved in college in Gopherland. Earl was a Gophers killer, gained a reputation for diving and led the Badgers to the 2006 national championship as Frozen Four MVP.

"For some reason, fans from a lot of schools didn't like me," he said, laughing. "That comes with the territory. It was fun, and there was nothing better than those Minnesota-Wisconsin games. Now I'm at a different place in life. I'm excited to have the chance to come here and help the team create some excitement for Minnesota fans."

• When Phoenix's Radim Vrbata scored early in the second period Wednesday, it was the Coyotes' first lead at Xcel Energy Center in 441 minutes, 24 seconds dating back to a 4-2 Coyotes win Nov. 8, 2005.

Quote To Note:

"Not when he was wearing red and white."
—RW Danny Irmen on how excited he was when Houston Aeros teammate Robbie Earl scored his first two NHL goals Sunday at Carolina. Irmen and Earl used to duel against each other when Irmen played for the University of Minnesota and Earl for the University of Wisconsin.

ROSTER REPORT:

Player Notes:

• RW Martin Havlat, who signed a six-year, $30 million in the offseason, has one goal and two assists in 16 games since Oct. 8.

"It's something we're working towards," coach Todd Richards said. "I wish I had the crystal ball or the answers to help fix it or make it better. I think his last few games, previous to this one [3-2 loss to Phoenix on Wednesday], had been better."

• RW Danny Irmen, 25, made his NHL debut Wednesday against Phoenix. He played seven shifts in a 3-2 loss.

In 17 games in Houston, he's scored six goals and 10 points. In 69 games last season, he only scored one more goal and eight more points. Aeros coach Kevin Constantine raved about Irmen's play in Houston, telling Wild coach Todd Richards that Irmen was one of his most reliable players and most deserving of a callup.

"It's hard not to [wonder if it's ever going to happen], but the minute you do, it is done for you," Irmen said. "The minute you quit believing, it's not going to happen."

• D/RW John Scott was a healthy scratch Wednesday against Phoenix, one game after scoring his first NHL goal at Carolina.

• LW Petr Sykora has missed five games with a concussion and had a setback working out last week. He's feeling better and hopes to get on the exercise bike again soon.

• LW Andrew Brunette snapped a nine-game goalless drought with his first goal since Oct. 26 on Wednesday.

• C Mikko Koivu has 15 points in his past 14 games and picked up two assists, moving past LW Brian Rolston for fourth all-time in Wild history with 143 assists.

Medical Watch:

• LW Benoit Pouliot missed his second game in a row Wednesday vs. Phoenix with a hand injury. He's been skating on his own.

• LW Chuck Kobasew is out with an upper-body injury. He missed his third Wednesday. He's been skating on his own.

• C/RW Pierre-Marc Bouchard remains out indefinitely with a concussion. He hasn't played since the season opener in Columbus on Oct. 3.

• LW Petr Sykora missed his fifth straight game Wednesday with a concussion.

Old
11-19-2009, 11:11 PM
Law

New info hub design and revised the format a little as well. Specifically, I sized it down (from 1000 pixel width to 800). Those who were having alignment issues, let me know if this helps any.

As for the game, the long road trip continues. Another solid 60 minutes, like in Boston the other night, would be greatly appreciated. C'mon, boys, let's keep this thing rolling.

Old
11-19-2009, 11:14 PM
Renbarg

This one works with google chrome at current resolution that I use. The other one I could only see it correctly in firefox or IE or I had to change the resolution. It looks great though. Good job again.

Last edited by Renbarg: 11-19-2009 at 11:24 PM.
Renbarg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2009, 11:17 PM
StuDog

Totally better Law.....on macBook via Safari.

StuDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2009, 11:23 PM
Brijd10

Great work, it now works for me using Firefox. I had to use Internet Explorer in the past to view it intact.

Brijd10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2009, 11:24 PM
Law

Quote:
Originally Posted by ps527 View Post
This one works with google chrome at current resolution that I use. The other one I could only see correctly in firefox or IE or I had to change the resolution. It looks great though. Good job again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuDog View Post
Totally better Law.....on macBook via Safari.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brijd10 View Post
Great work, it now works for me using Firefox. I had to use Internet Explorer in the past to view it intact.
Nice, good early results so far.

Old
11-19-2009, 11:32 PM
isleskovalchuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Law View Post
Nice, good early results so far.
yes this works so much bettter with my mac browser... looks awesome GREAT WORK!

isleskovalchuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2009, 11:49 PM
Hipster Doofus

Quote:
New info hub design and revised the format a little as well. Specifically, I sized it down (from 1000 pixel width to 800). Those who were having alignment issues, let me know if this helps any.

As for the game, the long road trip continues. Another solid 60 minutes, like in Boston the other night, would be greatly appreciated. C'mon, boys, let's keep this thing rolling.

First page is perfect, still some messups on the "hub" but hey, I got a 13" screen, so its probably me.

Hipster Doofus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2009, 12:07 AM
KH1

It scares me how good Law is at these GDTs. Let's never trade him again

Minny seems to be in a vulnerable position; the directly critical nature of their coach's comments surprised me a little bit. Hopefully the Isles can shake off the bad mojo they've had against the Wild.

KH1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2009, 12:14 AM
Islanders1932

Sweet it all fits on my screen without having to zoom out...love the new format too Law...you are the man

Islanders1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2009, 12:36 AM
Trottier
Very Random

Picked the Wild to stink up the joint this year and they show every sign of being a lottery team next spring.

As many of us knew, Lemaire's superb coaching covered up a lack of overall talent for years...and now its painfully obvious for all to see. Don't take my word, take a Wild fan's:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
If you could watch any three Wild games from last year, and any three from this year, you'd have to put Lemaire up in the top three [NHL coaches]. I doubted him the last couple years he was here, but it's pretty clear as day that we were a team full of hacks with a good goalie and a good coach that was right in the playoff mix the last few years.
One can point to Gaborik's departure, but Gaborik was AWOL much of the time recently.

Winning on the road in any NHL city is hard, but this is one that a well-rested NYI team has to have.

Trottier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2009, 08:51 AM
Homeland Security
Mod Supervisor
HFBoards

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Henry I View Post
It scares me how good Law is at these GDTs. Let's never trade him again

Minny seems to be in a vulnerable position; the directly critical nature of their coach's comments surprised me a little bit. Hopefully the Isles can shake off the bad mojo they've had against the Wild.
That will never happen on my watch!

Law, Excellent work! The redesign look GREAT!

2 more points tonight boys, and can we do it in regulation please?

11-20-2009, 09:02 AM
BJo

There are no must win games in November. But if this team plans on making a run into the playoffs they better win tonight. Minnesota sucks and the Isles are well rested. Good teams win these types of games on the road. We shall see.

BJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2009, 09:11 AM
Islanders1932

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAL8116 View Post
That will never happen on my watch!

Law, Excellent work! The redesign look GREAT!

2 more points tonight boys, and can we do it in regulation please?
A regulation win would be nice, but if we have to go into OT I'd much rather it be against a western conference team

Islanders1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2009, 09:38 AM
Trumanperro

Send a message via AIM to Trumanperro
Needed to get the led out today man, thanks. Song fits the road trip too...

Also whats up with the Wild's board not too much activity over there huh? Wonder whats up with that?

Trumanperro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2009, 09:44 AM
Moooose444

The Isles need to come out hard. The Wild seem to be reeling and a bad first period could bury them. I don't see the Isles blowing a lead to this team. knock on wood

Moooose444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2009, 09:48 AM
Law

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trumanperro View Post
Needed to get the led out today man, thanks. Song fits the road trip too...

Also whats up with the Wild's board not too much activity over there huh? Wonder whats up with that?
I think most of their fans hang around another site (something equivalent to ************* I believe) so their following on here isn't that big...

Old
11-20-2009, 09:59 AM
Riddick

awesome layout law, first post is perfect, 2nd has a bit amiss but fantastic now without having to zoom out in firefox!

should be fun watching this!

Riddick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2009, 10:22 AM
potvin05

Tonight's game vs. Minnesota

I know I'm new to this site, but I thought this deserved it's own thread:
Tonight's game vs. Minnesota is the first time in a couple of seasons where the Islanders are, dare I say it, "expected" to win. You have a Wild team coming in scuffling and a little unhealthy to boot, and an Islander team playing it's best hockey of the season.
That said, how do we handle prosperity? I think this could be a defining point in the early season for these guys. You're supposed to win these types of games against the so-called weaker opponents, which is usually our role. Because if they are to be successful this season, these are the teams they have to beat and the situations they have to take advantage of. Thoughts.....?

potvin05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2009, 10:23 AM
KH1

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=705471

KH1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2009, 10:26 AM
potvin05

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Henry I View Post
Ahh, thanks for the head's up. I still think the topic I bring up is more pertinent than the game thread, but I'll remember that for the future. I guess if one of the Mod's want to move the OP....

Edit: Thanks

Last edited by potvin05: 11-20-2009 at 10:36 AM.
Old
11-20-2009, 10:37 AM
Law

Quote:
Originally Posted by potvin05 View Post
Ahh, thanks for the head's up. I still think the topic I bring up is more pertinent than the game thread, but I'll remember that for the future. I guess if one of the Mod's want to move the OP....

Edit: Thanks
Yeah, probably better to keep it all together, board gets cluttered enough.

Regardless, welcome aboard.

Old
11-20-2009, 10:41 AM
potvin05

Quote:
Yeah, probably better to keep it all together, board gets cluttered enough.

Regardless, welcome aboard.
Thanks for the welcome. Let's get a win in Minny tonight.

Old
11-20-2009, 10:41 AM
Islanderfan72

Well here is another test to see if this team is for real or not. This is a game they have to take and we all know how inconsistent the Islanders have been in the past. Lets see if the past couple of weeks have been for real or just a mirage.

LETS GO ISLANDERS

Islanderfan72 is offline   Reply With Quote