HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Anyone else hate Parent as much as I do?

Old
11-14-2009, 10:57 PM
ShawnTHW
@ShawnTHW

vCash: 500
Anyone else hate Parent as much as I do?

The guy is a good for nothing waste of a defenseman who does nothing but get beat all the time. Hasnt handled the puck well at all.

For all the hype that was brought with him I cant find a single positive in this guy.

Am I the only one who hates Parent or are there more people I just dont know about.

BTW, Carter sucks too.

ShawnTHW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2009, 11:11 PM
Opus
Boondoggle

vCash: 875
Wow, seriously?

Opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2009, 11:11 PM
Mike Richards 18

Parent is a solid shut down dman and prolly will be very reasonable priced over his career. he s been a bit injured so you cant tell me he isnt a tad bit rusty. i think Parent Bartulis would be a solid third pairing!!

Carter could possibly be sick as well as JVR but yes some nights Carter does disappear. but damn Giroux shows up every fricked night i love having Richie and Giroux!! if we had Upshall still we would have three forwards that show up every night to play!!

Mike Richards 18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2009, 11:13 PM
agrudez*

I usually don't agree with anything you post, and this is certainly another one of those times.

I think Parent is a very good defensemen, with great poise and hockey sense while he is defending. He values taking the puck away and protecting the net more than making a big hit that could potentially put him out of position.

He is not an offensive guy, but he does make nice passes for breakouts of the zone, so expecting points from him is not fair, as that is not what he is trying to do.

You need to look no further than last year's playoff series against the Pens. I would have argued that Parent was one of our best players that series. He was asked to defend Crosby's line with a gimpy Timonen and they both performed exceptionally.

It is really intelligent and mature of you to judge your entire opinion on a guy from his first night back after a re-aggravated lower body injury that may or may not be healed yet.

Last edited by Opus: 11-14-2009 at 11:24 PM. Reason: watch the name calling.
agrudez* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2009, 11:16 PM
Haute Couturier

No. It's just you.

Haute Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2009, 11:21 PM
Clown Baby*

Nope. He's injury prone, he doesn't handle the puck well, but he's an affordable tenacious penalty-killing machine that should improve with time. When paired with Timonen, he's golden.

Clown Baby* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2009, 11:29 PM
FlyHigh

Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
Quote:
Originally Posted by PycckuuRocket10 View Post
The guy is a good for nothing waste of a defenseman who does nothing but get beat all the time. Hasnt handled the puck well at all.

For all the hype that was brought with him I cant find a single positive in this guy.

Am I the only one who hates Parent or are there more people I just dont know about.

BTW, Carter sucks too.
On the night that he has a shortie and an assist which takes him to 19 points in 16 games with +2.

Just fail.

FlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2009, 11:37 PM
PhillyFan4Ever

he's produced more then matt stairs has.

PhillyFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2009, 11:51 PM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

You do realize he's on the 3rd pairing, so he's playing with not only bums, but a different person each night?

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2009, 11:56 PM
PhilaFlyers

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh View Post
On the night that he has a shortie and an assist which takes him to 19 points in 16 games with +2.

Just fail.
This.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyFan4Ever View Post
he's produced more then matt stairs has.
and This.
Matt Stairs ****ing sucks

PhilaFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2009, 11:58 PM
flyersfan187

Send a message via AIM to flyersfan187 Send a message via Skype™ to flyersfan187
I think Parent is a little overrated by everyone, but like someone said before he will always be on a reasonable contract for what he brings. You can't always have the superstar. And Carter sucks??? He is one of the better two way centers out there and you need that size and skill he brings when your going up against Crosby and Malkin so many times a season. Without having Carter on our team it would bring a lot of trouble for us going up against the penguins (well more trouble than now)

flyersfan187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2009, 12:22 AM
ELab2

I don't hate him but for all the hype he really pisses me off. I stand by that I never think he'll never be more than a solid #4. Which is fine but considering the hype it's not acceptable.

His puck handling and passing are atrocious. And for a solidly sized guy he doesn't know how to be effective physically.

There are few if any defensive dmen in the NHL who are 1-3s and don't play a physical game and can't move the puck out of the zone.

ELab2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2009, 12:43 AM
decadentia

Quote:

BTW, Carter sucks too.
As others have noted, we aren't seeing the real deal with Parent as he is injury riddled as of late. I think he's a decent shutdown guy, and will fill a decent 4th-5th role for years to come. The mistake I believe is in the bolded, he seems to be at the brunt of overhyping his potential. If you think of him as a 4th-5th defenseman he's filling a valued role, if you are expecting a #2 you are setting yourself up most likely for disappointment.

Also, if it isn't apparent, we're cash strapped. We need these types of players that are going to fill our roster without costing us a fortune. I said the same thing when Upshall was here and people complained he wasn't turning into a 2nd liner, he filled a role and was affordable.

As for the Carter comment, I can't tell if you are trolling or trying to discredit your own post, either way, I'll let you enjoy it by yourself.

decadentia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2009, 01:32 AM
ShawnTHW
@ShawnTHW

I dont know. I was at the game tonight and Parent's play stuck out in my mind the most. It was a lackluster effort. I have been to more than a few games lately where Parent just seems to get beat all the time and I dont know if you can tell by my original post, it has REALLY frustrated me. Now I will not go overboard on this one and say that I would rather take Jones back, but for what Parent COULD be, he isnt doing a very good job of showing it. Granted I will take into account his run with injuries, but from the talk everyone had coming into Philly, it seemed like Parent could turn into a Coburn type player. And I am talking about the Coburn that kicked ass a few years back, not the one we have seen of late.

I dont know what he needs to get his act together and play to his potential, but I am gonna go out on a limb here and say a new coach could help.

ShawnTHW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2009, 01:43 AM
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEIFey View Post
Olivia Wilde? Very nice.

I think this thread should be filed under "overreactions." Parent is as solid as we can hope for a young player.
Very nice, indeed. I can't tell who's in your avy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valhoun View Post
Win.
*bows*

Quote:
I dont know. I was at the game tonight and Parent's play stuck out in my mind the most. It was a lackluster effort. I have been to more than a few games lately where Parent just seems to get beat all the time and I dont know if you can tell by my original post, it has REALLY frustrated me. Now I will not go overboard on this one and say that I would rather take Jones back, but for what Parent COULD be, he isnt doing a very good job of showing it. Granted I will take into account his run with injuries, but from the talk everyone had coming into Philly, it seemed like Parent could turn into a Coburn type player. And I am talking about the Coburn that kicked ass a few years back, not the one we have seen of late.

I dont know what he needs to get his act together and play to his potential, but I am gonna go out on a limb here and say a new coach could help.
Bolded: definitely. I've watched Parent since he was 16 and he's one of the better one on one defenders I've ever seen. There's always a level of confusion in our defensive zone that doesn't lend itself to that ability.

If you were expecting Coburn then you were misled. He doesn't have the little offensive ability that Coburn has. He does have a good first pass, but he's never had the chance to become comfortable with the puck in this league.

There are redeeming qualities about him that you're either choosing not to see or can't see. He has not lived up to what I expected, either, but I've seen him at his best plenty of times. It's there. There's certainly a reason he was a first round pick and had loads of junior accolades. Hopefully he'll get there, but he has to stay healthy.

Dig Out Your Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2009, 02:54 AM
Mr Oysterhead

Are you drunk? That would make a lot of your post make sense

Mr Oysterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2009, 02:59 AM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dig Out Your Soul View Post
I agree with your post, but only if you switch "Parent" with "PycckuuRocket10".

The new Olivia pic gets a CF88 seal of approval, as well.

'Carter sucks too.'

CanadianFlyer88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2009, 03:00 AM
orange is better
Mayor of Seeyasville

Parent has a lot of potential to be a solid shut down guy, but he's still young and is prone to mistakes, especially on the breakout. for right now, parent is the odd man out in the pairings. What i mean by that is Pronger/carle is a pair and Coburn/timonen is a pair. Parent is stuck playing on the 3rd pairing with a different player every other night, which has it's advantages and disadvantages. An advantage is that perhaps this will teach parent to be solid all over the zone and not have to rely on his partner to clean up his messes, as he might with a high profile partner. A disadvantage would be that parent is still young, he needs more stability in his game in order to be effective for the majoirty of the season. I think that recently he has been shakey, especially tonight. That's to be expected of a young defenseman who has struggled with injuries for the past year or so. Give him the time to develop that a defender needs before you throw him away.

Also, i dont know how you can say carter sucks when he leads the team in points, had a text book grind in shortie tonight, and is a plus player. He also hasnt missed a game in god knows how long. My only Carter criticism is that sometimes he is guilty of giving up on a play after his initial shot doesnt go in. Sometimes he'll take a shot, see it get denied, then just stand up and put his head back like nothing else can be done. But like parent, carter will only get better.

orange is better is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2009, 05:05 AM
Pierrot

Parent just came from an injury... come on... don't expect from him to put 3 assist or to kick everyone's ass.
And carter sucks??? c'moon, yea sure.. he had nothing to do with the shorty he scored last night.
The flyers screwed the first two periods and took too many penalties, they deserved to loose

Pierrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2009, 05:23 AM
chaosof99*

Parent is really too early to judge. He played one game now after missing 8 of the previous 9 games. He also hasn't really shown himself as a liability. A decent 3rd pairing defenceman for now in my opinion.

I also know people like to rip on Carter, but I find that largely unfounded. He hasn't been the showman and scoring goals like it's factory work, but he has done very well actually. He did score 19 points in 16 games so far, 7 goals among them.

chaosof99* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2009, 07:07 AM
DeadPhish5858
Rumham!

vCash: 800
Send a message via AIM to DeadPhish5858
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Oysterhead View Post
That was my first thought. This thread is ridiculous.

DeadPhish5858 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2009, 07:11 AM
Opus
Boondoggle

vCash: 875
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Oysterhead View Post
If I'm not mistaken, PR10 isn't a drinker.

...which I know only leads to more questions being asked, as opposed to the question(s) being answered.

Opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2009, 07:33 AM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

Quote:

Parent is not even in the neighborhood of the hype that accompanied his arrival here. Heck, there are people right in this thread using the phrase "solid shut down" to describe him. Which is unbelieveable, because he is not an NHL defenseman at all right now.

Parent is young and may develop, but at this point he is half of the Flyers' Achilles heel - a horrid third pairing on their back line.

Usually you don't get something for nothing and the Flyers' deal with Nashville is a good example - an aging and fragile Peter Forsberg for two bit players, Upshall and Parent. It may have looked like a steal to the neophytes, but it really wasn't.

Quote:
BTW, Carter sucks too.
I hate him and there is no defense for him any longer. Lazy, dumb, floater. I cannot stand watching him play.

Last edited by JXC: 11-15-2009 at 07:44 AM.
JXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2009, 07:41 AM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

Quote:
Originally Posted by agrudez View Post
He was asked to defend Crosby's line with a gimpy Timonen and they both performed exceptionally.
"Exceptionally"?

Crosby had four goals and four assists in six games.

Old
11-15-2009, 07:43 AM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardsCannon View Post
Parent has a lot of potential to be a solid shut down guy, but he's still young and is prone to mistakes, especially on the breakout. for right now, parent is the odd man out in the pairings. What i mean by that is Pronger/carle is a pair and Coburn/timonen is a pair. Parent is stuck playing on the 3rd pairing with a different player every other night, which has it's advantages and disadvantages. An advantage is that perhaps this will teach parent to be solid all over the zone and not have to rely on his partner to clean up his messes, as he might with a high profile partner. A disadvantage would be that parent is still young, he needs more stability in his game in order to be effective for the majoirty of the season. I think that recently he has been shakey, especially tonight. That's to be expected of a young defenseman who has struggled with injuries for the past year or so. Give him the time to develop that a defender needs before you throw him away.
This is correct.