HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

So....What's Tkachuk's excuse this postseason?

Closed Thread

Old
04-22-2004, 01:56 PM
SneakerPimp82

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to SneakerPimp82
Quote:
Originally Posted by c-carp
I dont care if they are garbage goals for the most part he gets between 30 and 40 of them a year and at the end of the day they count the same as an end to end rush, do they not.
Yes they count the same. But hypothetically speaking, if a d-man's draped all over him in the playoffs, not letting sit his ass in front of the net and get those goals(every team in the playoffs does this against him, and with less penalties being called, they can shut him down very effectively), he'll HAVE to learn to score on an end to end rush. I think this is why Tkachuk isn't very successful in the playoffs, his skills aren't varied. He can score in only that way, and when teams take that option away from him, he's lost.

Now you say, if teams know how to shut him down, why's he still get 30-40 goals a year? Well frankly you play a lot of bad teams during the year, so you can rack up goals against them. Also, other mid-tier teams might not have the type of defensemen who are physical enough to stop him(like a Foote, Jovanovski, etc..). So when he runs into very good teams with the physical D-Men who are smart enough to use the lack of calls in the playoffs to their advantage, he's done.

Old
04-23-2004, 04:18 PM
Irish Blues

I'd give Tkachuk a break for this year's playoff performance if he had been camped out in front of the net like he did most of the season....but being generous I can count 5 times where I saw him within 15 feet of the front of the net at any point in the series. Instead, he spent a lot of time stickhandling along the boards or sitting high in the slot instead of creating screens for his teammates.

04-23-2004, 04:36 PM
c-carp

I cannot put up much defence for any of the Blues big names. Walt included and he may very well be moved this off season. I do stand by the point that Power Forwards of his calibre are difficult to come by. I myself would keep him around.

Old
04-24-2004, 03:36 AM
FlyersFan10*

You know what, this team was alright before they added Tkachuk. Is it just me or does it seem to be that the man is a cancer to every organization that he's been with. I mean, when he was in Winnipeg, he complained about being there. The team gets moved to Phoenix and when they acquire Jeremy Roenick, Tkachuk goes out of his way to have a fight with Jeremy. The Blues, were an excellent team before acquiring Tkachuk, drastically overpay for him when they deal Michal Handzus, Ladislav Nagy, Jeff Taffe and a 1st round pick for him. Keith gets to St.Louis and the team begins to unravel. For all that hear it for other players, I'm beginning to wonder if Keith Tkachuk is an organizational cancer that causes more harm than good.

Old
04-24-2004, 05:46 AM
Prussian_Blue

Good points...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan10
You know what, this team was alright before they added Tkachuk. Is it just me or does it seem to be that the man is a cancer to every organization that he's been with. I mean, when he was in Winnipeg, he complained about being there. The team gets moved to Phoenix and when they acquire Jeremy Roenick, Tkachuk goes out of his way to have a fight with Jeremy. The Blues, were an excellent team before acquiring Tkachuk, drastically overpay for him when they deal Michal Handzus, Ladislav Nagy, Jeff Taffe and a 1st round pick for him. Keith gets to St.Louis and the team begins to unravel. For all that hear it for other players, I'm beginning to wonder if Keith Tkachuk is an organizational cancer that causes more harm than good.
I'm also beginning to wonder if this assessment isn't 100% correct.

At the time Tkachuk was acquired, I thought the Blues did well to get him. Now, with the benefit of three years' hindsight, I'm not so sure. The team hasn't gone forward at all since acquiring him, and he sure as heck hasn't led them anywhere in the playoffs...

The hell of it is, if the Blues were to try and unload Tkachuk, Philly would be one of the places they'd likely look to first... a big Eastern market with lots of money to spend, and a GM who's known for making deals that sometimes go against the grain of what the fans are looking for.

PrussianBlue

Old
04-24-2004, 09:29 AM
Tiger Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Blues
I'd give Tkachuk a break for this year's playoff performance if he had been camped out in front of the net like he did most of the season....but being generous I can count 5 times where I saw him within 15 feet of the front of the net at any point in the series. Instead, he spent a lot of time stickhandling along the boards or sitting high in the slot instead of creating screens for his teammates.
I thought he also spent a lot of time getting up off the ice. One game in particular in San Jose, I spent a lot of time watching him, and it seemed like every time he got within 10 feet of the puck he got knocked down.

I'm not a big Tkachuk hater, pretty neutral on him overall. I'm not posting this to be mean, its just light hearted humor to me:

http://www.curtiswalker.com/jets/pla...ils.asp?key=41

From that webpage, this was apparently written in 1996:

Quote:
Last captain of the Jets, a whiner and a weasel. Though he performed well on the scoresheet, a selfish player concerned with his own well-being, and a genuine embarrassment to his team and to the sport in general. Truly deserving of the moniker "Captain Weasel". Also known as Keith "Tkachoke" for his propensity to conveniently disappear when he's needed the most by the team.

Closed Thread