HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Notices

No More Excuses . . .Just win baby

Closed Thread

Old
04-14-2004, 04:17 AM
Varada

vCash: 500
No More Excuses . . .Just win baby

Sens fans, including myself, have expressed collective catharsis at being down 2-1 by strategizing, making line up line-changes, firing the coach, and by clinging to the true, but somewhat irrelevant fact that we have outplayed the Leafs. If our teams situations were reversed, and Lalime was standing on his head, Sens fan would probably emphasize the big W is all that matters, while Leafs fans would argue they dominated the play. I do believe our opinions are completely relative. We live and die with our teams (Metaphorically I mean), and our team loyalty is devout.

No more excuse Sens and Sens fans . . . we know what has to be done . . .Just win baby. If the Leafs win the series, well they deserve it.

PS: Leafs Suck

My Prediction tonight: 4-1 Sens

Old
04-14-2004, 07:42 AM
Zoo

As Patty Roy said, its time for ottawa's star forwards to step up and win a game or too for Lalime...Alfredsson Hossa Havlat Bondra.

Old
04-14-2004, 09:31 AM
Kemosabe

Better have some more excuses ready...just in case.

Old
04-14-2004, 11:02 AM
wasting time

My question is...if the Sens were to lose the series - regardless of how it is played out, who is to blame?

The Sens were the easy pick for the Cup most of the year. If they lose again to Toronto and in the first round heads would have to roll you would think.

Muckler - pick ups did not do as billed?
Martin - obvious choice?
Lalime - whipping boy?
Alfredsson - missing something as a leader?
Too many Euros?
what?

Old
04-14-2004, 11:04 AM
V for Voodoo

Send a message via AIM to V for Voodoo Send a message via MSN to V for Voodoo
How about not enough Euros? Toronto has more than Ottawa.

Old
04-14-2004, 11:28 AM
Sting

Send a message via MSN to Sting
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voodoo
Exactly...too many Euros? What kinda crack are you on? This isn't the team that lost 2-3 years ago. TO has more Euros than us...the only difference being our Euros are some of the top players in the league. That's not it.

The general makeup of the team is fine...what we lack is a true #1 centre. Spezza is still developing and it'll be a couple more years I think until he explodes and becomes our true #1 guy. Bonk doesn't cut it.

Old
04-14-2004, 11:37 AM
gbl1p

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasting time
My question is...if the Sens were to lose the series - regardless of how it is played out, who is to blame?

The Sens were the easy pick for the Cup most of the year. If they lose again to Toronto and in the first round heads would have to roll you would think.

Muckler - pick ups did not do as billed?
Martin - obvious choice?
Lalime - whipping boy?
Alfredsson - missing something as a leader?
Too many Euros?
what?
I don't know why I'm responding to this, because this series is far from over, but maybe this is a good time to clarify a few things.

You cannot be disappointed with the Sens play. At the start of the series, members of both sides predicted this was going to be a long one. Many people, including myself, said that it's going to be a matter of beating Ed Belfour. Despite what most Leafs fans would tell you, the Sens have outplayed the Leafs skating team. They haven't beaten Ed Belfour. The Sens, thus far, have outmuscled, outhit, outshot, outskated the Leafs. They can't bury them, though. That does not win you hockey games, and that is why the Leafs are winning. They are the better team because of their unpenetrable defensive wall named the Eagle.

The Sens saw this last year vs. New Jersey, and it's a matter of adjusting their games and keeping a level head. Maturity in this case will be the deciding factor. If the Sens have truly grown into what they've set for themselves, they'll solve Belfour. This is the best Sens team that I've personally seen, even better than last year. It's a shame that the ultimate test for them (a hot goalie, their biggest rival, the massive gorilla on their back) comes in the first round.

There aren't too many Euros on this team. The goaltending, though being swallowed by the shadow of Belfour, seems adequate thus far. Our defence is quite solid. We just need to bury some pucks. This is the highest scoring team in the NHL, and if they can't do it, then all credit should be placed on Ed Belfour for stopping this team. I think if they can steal some puck luck away from Belfour, then this team can grind it out over 6 or 7 games. If the team fails in doing so, I think it's time to look at this from the top down. Jacques Martins position as head coach will be jeopardy, IMO. This club has the right physical, on-ice components thats for sure.

Hint to Senators: Have a peek at the two hardest working teams currently in the NHL - Nashville and Calgary. When you move your legs as fast as you can, when you crash the net, when you are hungry... THE GOALS WILL COME!!!!

Old
04-14-2004, 01:14 PM
wasting time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voodoo
But Ottawa's Euros are younger and an agrument can be made that it takes time to figure out what it takes for the NHL playoffs for guys who did not come through the Canadian Juniors (# of games, road travel, physicality etc.). Hey, the same thing can be said about Simon Gagne who came out of the Q.

Old
04-14-2004, 01:15 PM
wasting time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting004
Exactly...too many Euros? What kinda crack are you on? This isn't the team that lost 2-3 years ago. TO has more Euros than us...the only difference being our Euros are some of the top players in the league. That's not it.

The general makeup of the team is fine...what we lack is a true #1 centre. Spezza is still developing and it'll be a couple more years I think until he explodes and becomes our true #1 guy. Bonk doesn't cut it.
I agree completely about Bonk -- he is a step above Yashin, but not a high step.

Could be worse. You could have Antropov.

Old
04-14-2004, 01:18 PM
wasting time

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbl1p
I don't know why I'm responding to this, because this series is far from over, but maybe this is a good time to clarify a few things.

You cannot be disappointed with the Sens play. At the start of the series, members of both sides predicted this was going to be a long one. Many people, including myself, said that it's going to be a matter of beating Ed Belfour. Despite what most Leafs fans would tell you, the Sens have outplayed the Leafs skating team. They haven't beaten Ed Belfour. The Sens, thus far, have outmuscled, outhit, outshot, outskated the Leafs. They can't bury them, though. That does not win you hockey games, and that is why the Leafs are winning. They are the better team because of their unpenetrable defensive wall named the Eagle.

The Sens saw this last year vs. New Jersey, and it's a matter of adjusting their games and keeping a level head. Maturity in this case will be the deciding factor. If the Sens have truly grown into what they've set for themselves, they'll solve Belfour. This is the best Sens team that I've personally seen, even better than last year. It's a shame that the ultimate test for them (a hot goalie, their biggest rival, the massive gorilla on their back) comes in the first round.

There aren't too many Euros on this team. The goaltending, though being swallowed by the shadow of Belfour, seems adequate thus far. Our defence is quite solid. We just need to bury some pucks. This is the highest scoring team in the NHL, and if they can't do it, then all credit should be placed on Ed Belfour for stopping this team. I think if they can steal some puck luck away from Belfour, then this team can grind it out over 6 or 7 games. If the team fails in doing so, I think it's time to look at this from the top down. Jacques Martins position as head coach will be jeopardy, IMO. This club has the right physical, on-ice components thats for sure.

Hint to Senators: Have a peek at the two hardest working teams currently in the NHL - Nashville and Calgary. When you move your legs as fast as you can, when you crash the net, when you are hungry... THE GOALS WILL COME!!!!
Well said, can't disagree with a single point made.

But the Leafs have played at about 70% of their ability so far this series; they are not even out of third gear yet.

Old
04-14-2004, 01:51 PM
Sting

Quote:
Well said, can't disagree with a single point made.

But the Leafs have played at about 70% of their ability so far this series; they are not even out of third gear yet.
That might be true, but the Leafs have only played that way because of the Sens dominating them through stretches. The fact is, the Leafs are trying to play their best but when you're playing a better team you simply don't.

Old
04-14-2004, 01:55 PM
Killer 93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting004
That might be true, but the Leafs have only played that way because of the Sens dominating them through stretches. The fact is, the Leafs are trying to play their best but when you're playing a better team you simply don't.

Not that it really matters but...

If the sens are that much of a better team that the Leafs, why didn't they dominate them in the regular season? Why didn't they finish ahead of them in the standings? Why aren't they up 3-0 right now?

Old
04-14-2004, 01:58 PM
V for Voodoo

Send a message via AIM to V for Voodoo Send a message via MSN to V for Voodoo
Quote:
But Ottawa's Euros are younger and an agrument can be made that it takes time to figure out what it takes for the NHL playoffs for guys who did not come through the Canadian Juniors (# of games, road travel, physicality etc.). Hey, the same thing can be said about Simon Gagne who came out of the Q.
Granted but that's called experience and has nothing to do with having too many Euros.

Old
04-14-2004, 02:13 PM
Sting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Defender

If the sens are that much of a better team that the Leafs, why didn't they dominate them in the regular season? Why didn't they finish ahead of them in the standings? Why aren't they up 3-0 right now?
They aren't a LOT better than them, but they do have the better team, not the better goalie. Season means nothing..there are many examples. 2-3 years ago, Sens dominate the season, Leafs beat them in the playoffs. The Leafs were better back then...Sens too young and had no stability, and couldn't hang on to their best players.

Why aren't they up 3-0? Look at last game... a combo of Belfour being hot and a lot of luck. That's how it goes sometimes. The Sens deserve a 2-1 lead right now, but they don't have it. Let's hope they can make it up tonight.

Old
04-14-2004, 02:40 PM
slusher

Its more than belfour

Belfour deserves most of the credit for beating the Sens in games 1 and 2. However, I'm not so sure I buy all of this, the Sens are outplaying the Leafs talk. The Sens are skating better, hitting better and getting more chances than the Leafs overall. But, I sense the turning point in this series happened when Darcy Tucker returned for games 2 and 3. It's not that Tucker himself made a big difference but his return coincided with a Leaf's effort to frustrate the Sens with agressive fore checking. Particularly in game 3 I saw Tucker come over the boards when the Sens retreated into their defensive zone to regroup. Toronto used two forwards to push the Sens back and then when a puck possesion battle ensued the Leafs flooded the zone. The Leafs bottled up Ottawa's rush with their aggressive fore checking. Now, I know Ottawa still got tons of shots. But, it's getting very difficult to gain the offensive zone. And, with the one goal lead in game 3 the Leafs clogged up the nuetral zone with good success. It also frustrated our power play. SOOOOO, it's more than getting screened shots on net. The Sens have to figure out a way to break the Leafs agressive fore check with speed. We need quick outlet passes up ice and then dump and chase. I think we can win puck battles in behind the net. In game one the Sens dumped the puck in on Belfour's stick side and had some success once the puck was in deep along the boards.

The Sens are the more talented team - but, overall team defensive strategy has favored the Leafs in two games and it was more than just Belfour.

Old
04-14-2004, 03:04 PM
Varada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Defender

Look, the regular season has a little importance in crowning the better team. As we all know, the Sens have dominated the Leafs in the regular season in the past, and come up well short in the playoffs. If pushed to their logical conclusion, some of arguments made by Leaf fans would suggest Ottawa was the better team those years, despite losing the playoff series. Whoever wins the series is the better team this year . . .enough said

EDIT: Removed deleted quote

Last edited by Hossa: 04-14-2004 at 03:35 PM.
Old
04-14-2004, 03:11 PM
Poikilitic

the series are far from over! But you can never have too many Euro's on your team! Especially Russians! yay!!!

Old
04-14-2004, 03:21 PM
Varada

Quote:
Originally posted by Fulcrum
the series are far from over! But you can never have too many Euro's on your team! Especially Russians! yay!!!
What exactly are you referring to? The Sens? If so, they only have one russian in their line-up, the A-train. Or are you reffering to Kovalev? If so, I think you've lost your little way, and I'll gleefully direct you to the Habs board, AKA the Montreal Canadians.

Old
04-14-2004, 03:51 PM
wasting time

If Alfredsson does not pick the team up and carry them on his back then I just don't know. Fisher is awesome, Chara, Redden, awesome but the only two guys who I see with the ability to do it all by themselves is Alfredsson and Hossa -- both of whom have the character and mental strength to do it - plus the skill obviously.

But Alfredsson is the guy. Hossa can be a 1a, but Daniel has to do it all by himself.

If he is looking for guidance as to how to do this feat, check some game tape of Gary Roberts.

Closed Thread