HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Eberle emergency call up?

Old
11-20-2009, 11:10 AM
oil country 83

vCash: 500
Eberle emergency call up?

Joanne Ireland asks the question in her article today if we are getting to the point with all the injuries of calling up Eberle on an emergency basis?

This could be the silver lining with all these injuries, we may get a chance to see Eberle after all?

oil country 83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2009, 11:15 AM
MeestaDeteta

vCash: 139
As bad as our situation is, I don't think it's bad enough to warrant his call up. Although I would love to see what he's got.

MeestaDeteta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2009, 11:17 AM
MinnesotaFats

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by oil country 83 View Post
Joanne Ireland asks the question in her article today if we are getting to the point with all the injuries of calling up Eberle on an emergency basis?

This could be the silver lining with all these injuries, we may get a chance to see Eberle after all?
I really hope not. Eberle is having a hell of a year in the W - building confidence and playing in all situations. He might be showing that he has outgrown the competition but IMO thats better than him coming to the NHL and having the reverse be true. Eberle is the first legit sniper prospect we have had in a long time - Id hate to rush him to the show and hurt his development like we have with other prospects.

MinnesotaFats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2009, 11:20 AM
Kung Pow

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinnesotaFats View Post
I really hope not. Eberle is having a hell of a year in the W - building confidence and playing in all situations. He might be showing that he has outgrown the competition but IMO thats better than him coming to the NHL and having the reverse be true. Eberle is the first legit sniper prospect we have had in a long time - Id hate to rush him to the show and hurt his development like we have with other prospects.
I think he has totally outgrown the 'dub. I wish we could put him in the A to bump up the quality of competition. But, I think the W is better for him right now than bringing him up to the big leagues. I too would hate to rush one of our best prospects in a long time.

Kung Pow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2009, 11:27 AM
OilerzFRLife

my best friend played on his midget AAA team. i can remember him saying theyd all lineup for tendy warm up and shoot and jordans snap shot was harder than most guys slap shots. no doubt hes a born sniper.

back to on topic. i dont want to call him up no matter what hte situation were in. id rather call up every forward we have on the falcons then jordan. let him play in the dub. we cut him in camp dont bring him up mid season amid all the problems this team deals with day to day. let him dominate for one more year and run train in WJC. at most let him play the end of the season when teh pats miss teh playoffs for the falcons for the last 15 agmes or so. but no NHL time htis year. next yaer??? definitely. top 6 spot is practically handed to him assuming he keeps up his pace.

OilerzFRLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2009, 11:31 AM
doormat247

I'll disagree and say that if many more injuries happen it would likely help his development to get a couple games with the club on an emergency basis. It would be a reward cookie for his hard work in the dub this year.

He might just get that taste of the bigs for a week or so and be better for it in the long run. Especially if he gets a bit of pp time up here and pops in a goal or something while here.

Combine that with the WJC after Christmas and Eberle's development might be assited by the extra bump a five game stint might do him.

doormat247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2009, 11:46 AM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinnesotaFats View Post
As an emergency call up he would be sent back to the W as soon as the injuries/illnesses clear up.

I am all over this idea. If we can get Eberle up for a game or two, esp at home where he'd have a receptive audience(plus we tend to play better there), that would be great. It would be a nice reward(developmentally + financially) for him to get in a bit of NHL time before returning to the W to prepare for the WJC. Sweden is looking strong this year and Russia is always a threat, we'll need him at his best if we want 6. This would be a pat on the back for what he's doing in the W and a reminder to keep up the great work if he wants to possibly be back up when his season ends.

s7ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2009, 11:50 AM
Real_Estate-Agent

Quote:
Originally Posted by doormat247 View Post

He might just get that taste of the bigs for a week or so and be better for it in the long run. Especially if he gets a bit of pp time up here and pops in a goal or something while here.

Combine that with the WJC after Christmas and Eberle's development would be assisted by the extra bump a five game stint might do him.
Fixed it for you.....

Real_Estate-Agent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2009, 11:53 AM
MinnesotaFats

Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark View Post
As an emergency call up he would be sent back to the W as soon as the injuries/illnesses clear up.

I am all over this idea. If we can get Eberle up for a game or two, esp at home where he'd have a receptive audience(plus we tend to play better there), that would be great. It would be a nice reward(developmentally + financially) for him to get in a bit of NHL time before returning to the W to prepare for the WJC. Sweden is looking strong this year and Russia is always a threat, we'll need him at his best if we want 6. This would be a pat on the back for what he's doing in the W and a reminder to keep up the great work if he wants to possibly be back up when his season ends.
I neglected the fact that it would be on an emergency basis that he would be set back to the W (presumably after 9 games regardless of the injury/illness situation?). There is probably some benefit to giving him a few games. It also gives us a few games to get a good look at him against NHL-level competition; he looked good during the preseason, but that is not a good indicator of regular season performance.

Id support it as long as he was returned for the WJC.

Old
11-20-2009, 11:58 AM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

On a side note, I am getting tired of the "we rushed Gags and Cogs" talk. Both kids played their way onto the team that preseason. Gagner was come off destroying the Russians in the super series, and both kids were amongst our better forwards that TC. Could Cogs have used a bit of AHL time, I can possibly see an argument there given the benefit of hindsight, but Gags for sure had outgrown the O. He already had a 100p+++ season, and there were no further challenges for him at that level. Plus he was a big reason our SO record was so good that year. We needed him here and he almost hit 50p. We didn't rush Gagner at all, and few were challenging Cogliano's inclusion on the team his rookie season either.

s7ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2009, 11:59 AM
oil country 83

I honestly think he would have made the team out of camp if it were not for the # of nhl contracts we had. I think if he comes up and performs it will make it easier for tambo to dump a contract or two when we get healthy.

oil country 83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2009, 12:15 PM
MinnesotaFats

Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark View Post
On a side note, I am getting tired of the "we rushed Gags and Cogs" talk. Both kids played their way onto the team that preseason. Gagner was come off destroying the Russians in the super series, and both kids were amongst our better forwards that TC. Could Cogs have used a bit of AHL time, I can possibly see an argument there given the benefit of hindsight, but Gags for sure had outgrown the O. He already had a 100p+++ season, and there were no further challenges for him at that level. Plus he was a big reason our SO record was so good that year. We needed him here and he almost hit 50p. We didn't rush Gagner at all, and few were challenging Cogliano's inclusion on the team his rookie season either.
I agree that the right decision was made with Gagner - he was ready and he proved that. His development seems stalled right now though - after two full seasons in the league, Im not sure he is a lot better than he was as a rookie. For a player of his size, improvement is going to come from being smarter on the ice and learning how to better use the tools he has at this level. That will likely take another couple years.

I do take issue with the line of thinking that elite players in the CHL will some how be hurt by continuing to play and dominate in that league. At 18 years old, most players still have a lot of physical and mental maturation to go through. I think that in a lot of cases its better to let them dominate for another year in the CHL rather than put them in a situation where they are going to struggle, get limited ice time, etc.

Old
11-20-2009, 12:24 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
I honestly think he would have made the team out of camp if it were not for the # of nhl contracts we had. I think if he comes up and performs it will make it easier for tambo to dump a contract or two when we get healthy.
This won't matter. He is recalled on an "emergency basis". This means once the injuries subside and players are healthy he would have to be returned to the WHL.

Last edited by Reimer: 11-20-2009 at 02:39 PM.
Reimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2009, 12:47 PM
SlowFreshOil*

I don't see a problem with him coming up for a bit. He's on fire, kind of like Gagner was coming out of the Worlds. Nothing wrong with having a guy with some confidence on the squad.

SlowFreshOil* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2009, 01:14 PM
Giant Moo

If it starts the clock ticking on his ELC, then I vote a firm no. Especially since it would only be for a few games.

Giant Moo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2009, 01:41 PM
Schitzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giant Moo View Post
If it starts the clock ticking on his ELC, then I vote a firm no. Especially since it would only be for a few games.
My understanding on emergency recalls is that you need to have nobody in the AHL available. McDonald, Paukovich, O'Marra, Trukhno, and probably Lerg and Minard are all available for call-up... so how is it an "emergency"?

Schitzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2009, 02:09 PM
Giant Moo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schitzo View Post
My understanding on emergency recalls is that you need to have nobody in the AHL available. McDonald, Paukovich, O'Marra, Trukhno, and probably Lerg and Minard are all available for call-up... so how is it an "emergency"?
I think you quoted the wrong person. Or something.

Giant Moo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2009, 02:31 PM
doormat247

It'd take ten games to burn a year of his ELC so as long as its less then that there shouldn't be a concern with that.

As for emergency call-ups, you can get around that with the timing of an injury if I'm correct. The usual reason for an emergency call-up like this is when you've run out of other options. For example, if a player goes down in the morning skate for example, the Oilers may not be physically able to get a replacement to town from Springfield in time, while they might be able to get Eberle out from Regina in time for a game.

Old
11-20-2009, 03:05 PM
jumptheshark
Give the dog a bone

Also the oilers need to be in his territory

The oilers can get eberle the moment his season ends

This is one topic I am truly sick off

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schitzo View Post

jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2009, 03:12 PM
Narnia
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to Narnia
Quote:
Originally Posted by doormat247 View Post
It'd take ten games to burn a year of his ELC so as long as its less then that there shouldn't be a concern with that.

As for emergency call-ups, you can get around that with the timing of an injury if I'm correct. The usual reason for an emergency call-up like this is when you've run out of other options. For example, if a player goes down in the morning skate for example, the Oilers may not be physically able to get a replacement to town from Springfield in time, while they might be able to get Eberle out from Regina in time for a game.
The Oilers were rejected in that case already this season. They were ravaged by the flu and they tried calling up Eberle as an emergency call-up and the NHL said no.

11-20-2009, 03:26 PM
Jet
Chevel-takesadayoff

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumptheshark View Post
Also the oilers need to be in his territory

The oilers can get eberle the moment his season ends

This is one topic I am truly sick off
Then why did you even come in this thread?

I really don't get some people coming into threads to declare they are sick of the topic. Seems silly to me.

Look at the topic box of the thread. On the top right hand side there is an X. Click it and you will never have to see it again.

That is what I do with the ENDLESS OT threads here that should be in the stickied general OT thread but never end up there.

Jet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2009, 03:26 PM
doormat247

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narnia View Post
The Oilers were rejected in that case already this season. They were ravaged by the flu and they tried calling up Eberle as an emergency call-up and the NHL said no.
The NHL deserves a swift boot in the groin.

Old
11-20-2009, 06:29 PM
HockeyNoob4u

Quote:

I thought that the Oilers already tried to do this before, but didn't meet the criteria for an emergency call-up? Has something changed?

HockeyNoob4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2009, 09:37 PM
jumptheshark
Give the dog a bone

Quote:
Originally Posted by jet228 View Post
Then why did you even come in this thread?

I really don't get some people coming into threads to declare they are sick of the topic. Seems silly to me.

Look at the topic box of the thread. On the top right hand side there is an X. Click it and you will never have to see it again.

That is what I do with the ENDLESS OT threads here that should be in the stickied general OT thread but never end up there.
I come to prevent the mob mentality taking over and thinking it can be done

jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2009, 09:45 PM
crazy Kassian
The North Remembers

Eberle would spark this team, it should be tried

crazy Kassian is offline   Reply With Quote