HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Notices

Donovan possibly out for the year

Old
11-20-2009, 12:39 PM
The Expert
Registered Expert

vCash: 500
Donovan possibly out for the year

http://www.ottawasun.com/sports/hock.../11835611.html

This really sucks. Donovan was great for energy this year, really didn't deserve to be a healthy scratch. He's been great on the fourth line.

Glad Murray contacted the league, but knowing clueless Campbell, nothing will come of it.

The Expert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2009, 12:42 PM
Northern Neighbour

Donovan had been playing well. It's unfortunate that the knee injury could be extremely serious. Given that this is the last year of his contract, last night could have very well been his last game as a Senator.

Northern Neighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2009, 12:42 PM
Bob Kudelski

That sucks. His speed and effort level were nice to have. He's one player that you never have to worry about hurting the team with stupid plays or lack of effort.

Bob Kudelski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2009, 12:43 PM
The Chef*

God damn. Chum was awesome in the lineup. Should have had a permanent spot over Shannon.

The Chef* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2009, 12:47 PM
PhysicalTorque

Cooke is a repeat offender, and hasn't been punished yet... What the **** campbell??

Karma will come around and end cooke's career.

PhysicalTorque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2009, 12:49 PM
NyQuil
Setec Astronomy

When I saw the hit, I knew he was done.

NyQuil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2009, 12:52 PM
PoutineSp00nZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyQuil View Post
When I saw the hit, I knew he was done.
Same, a knee on knee like that rarely turns out well.

Poor Donovin, the guy finally starts getting consecutive games and his season might be over. Bleh.

I guess the silver lining is an extra 500k or so in cap space.

PoutineSp00nZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2009, 12:52 PM
kyle747

Quote:
Originally Posted by SinfulWishes View Post
Cooke is a repeat offender, and hasn't been punished yet... What the **** campbell??
I'm not saying it was deliberate - it may be the result of his playing style, but the result is the same. We lose a player for an extended period because of a dirty hit.

And in my opinion it was completely dirty - the player making the hit plowed right into Donovan who made no attempt to avoid it, and that's the argument from the other side.

kyle747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2009, 12:54 PM
Jerk Store
Classless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Neighbour View Post
Donovan had been playing well. It's unfortunate that the knee injury could be extremely serious. Given that this is the last year of his contract, last night could have very well been his last game as a Senator.
Well, it's not like we have a ton of forwards coming through the ranks, so Chum could be re-signed for cheap and still play on our 4th line. I'd look at the situation closer (how severe is the injury, chances to recover, who couldreplace him next year, who's not coming back) and make a decision. But I wouldn't necessarily say, that's it for him with us. He's been terrific his whole time here. As a 4th liner of course.

Jerk Store is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2009, 12:57 PM
Liliaceae
Sens ♥

This really sucks, he's always so full of energy when he's on the ice. He deserves better than this.

We need him. I hope it's not his last game as a Sen.

Liliaceae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2009, 12:57 PM
PoutineSp00nZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerk Store View Post
Well, it's not like we have a ton of forwards coming through the ranks, so Chum could be re-signed for cheap and still play on our 4th line. I'd look at the situation closer (how severe is the injury, chances to recover, who couldreplace him next year, who's not coming back) and make a decision. But I wouldn't necessarily say, that's it for him with us. He's been terrific his whole time here. As a 4th liner of course.

As much as I like Donovan, Ottawa has a plethora of bottom six forwards. Bass could be on the team this year, and other guys will be pushing for a bottom six role next training camp.

I hate to see Chum go, but like a previous poster said, that could very well be his last game as a Senator.

Old
11-20-2009, 12:59 PM
PhysicalTorque

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle747 View Post
I'm not saying it was deliberate - it may be the result of his playing style, but the result is the same. We lose a player for an extended period because of a dirty hit.

And in my opinion it was completely dirty - the player making the hit plowed right into Donovan who made no attempt to avoid it, and that's the argument from the other side.
Well Cory wants us to draw more penalties, that's what he's preaching, and Dono buys into that, good teammate, a sacrifice for his team.

Old
11-20-2009, 01:00 PM
Alfie#11

That's too bad. He was a really good vet for the 4th line. As others have said, he always gave his best and rarely made dumb plays.

I guess this is another example of why you need depth and that trading/dumping players just because you percieve the team has too many isn't always smart. Guys always get hurt.

I don't know if the Sens would sign him at his age and ability coming off a serious knee injury. Maybe he won't be re-signed but end up as a training camp invite next year?

Alfie#11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2009, 01:00 PM
DoctorDoak

Sucks... you just know if it was a player other than a energy line guy like Donovan, the league would do something about it.

DoctorDoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2009, 01:06 PM
Indy on the Road
Still near and dear

Unfortunate, but it's the byproduct of pounding a team to the point of frustration and the lack of respect between players. The knee on knee could be on purpose or accidental depending on what side of the fence you live on, but why do you need to run the guy with a couple minutes left in a game that is already over? I never understood this part of the game. Are you sending a message? Trying to spark your team for a 5 goal in 5 minute comeback? Congrats on possibly ending the NHL career of a clean, hard-working player who didn't have it coming.

I'd hate it just the same if it was Ruutu doing it to someone else in a similar game.

Indy on the Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2009, 01:09 PM
OE40

Quote:
Originally Posted by SinfulWishes View Post
Well Cory wants us to draw more penalties, that's what he's preaching, and Dono buys into that, good teammate, a sacrifice for his team.
ya except there was no penalty on the play... just brutal

OE40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2009, 01:12 PM
Indy on the Road
Still near and dear

Quote:
Originally Posted by OE40 View Post
Picard got 2 minutes for slashing.... a travesty. Cooke went on to assist on Malkin's goal. Fitting...

Indy on the Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2009, 01:13 PM
PhysicalTorque

Quote:
Originally Posted by OE40 View Post
Indeed...

Old
11-20-2009, 01:15 PM
DuckedUpOnQuack

Send a message via MSN to DuckedUpOnQuack
Is there any video of the hit? I didn't get to see the third period sadly.

Huge shame - Donovan always brings energy, grit, speed, and the occassional scoring threat.

DuckedUpOnQuack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2009, 01:21 PM
Jerk Store
Classless

Quote:
Originally Posted by poutineplato View Post
As much as I like Donovan, Ottawa has a plethora of bottom six forwards. Bass could be on the team this year, and other guys will be pushing for a bottom six role next training camp.

I hate to see Chum go, but like a previous poster said, that could very well be his last game as a Senator.
I understand your point and am all for infusing youth into the lineup, but if Donovan made the team and Bass didn't, maybe he's best suited for a 4th line role. We need a good mix of youngsters and veterans, so why not move Bass, who could fetch a return while re-signing Donovan who's been great on our 4th line and wouldn't make much more than Bass would?

Old
11-20-2009, 01:24 PM
Jerk Store
Classless

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Worst Poster View Post
Unfortunate, but it's the byproduct of pounding a team to the point of frustration and the lack of respect between players. The knee on knee could be on purpose or accidental depending on what side of the fence you live on, but why do you need to run the guy with a couple minutes left in a game that is already over? I never understood this part of the game. Are you sending a message? Trying to spark your team for a 5 goal in 5 minute comeback? Congrats on possibly ending the NHL career of a clean, hard-working player who didn't have it coming.

I'd hate it just the same if it was Ruutu doing it to someone else in a similar game.
Great post

Old
11-20-2009, 01:38 PM
Alfredsson11

Could this end Donovan's career?

Alfredsson11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2009, 01:41 PM
TheHMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfredsson11 View Post
Could this end Donovan's career?
He brought everything he had to the ice, and one of his greatest assets was his skating ability.

Had he injured his elbow or wrist, I wouldn't worry, but this knee injury could impact his speed and force his retirement.
Posted via Mobile Device

TheHMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2009, 02:06 PM
PoutineSp00nZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerk Store View Post
I understand your point and am all for infusing youth into the lineup, but if Donovan made the team and Bass didn't, maybe he's best suited for a 4th line role. We need a good mix of youngsters and veterans, so why not move Bass, who could fetch a return while re-signing Donovan who's been great on our 4th line and wouldn't make much more than Bass would?
Bass had shoulder surgery or something last season and played only a handful of games which stunted his development. I'm not sure how much Bass would be worth right now, but all reports are that he's playing lights out in Bingo.

I've heard a few interviews with him, he actually agreed with the coaches that he wasn't ready for NHL play after his surgery, and didn't mind spending some time in Bingo. All indications are that this guy is a younger version of Donovan, with a bit more size and grit although perhaps lacking a bit of the offense. He's a heart and soul checker who gives it everything he has. I wouldn't want to move him at all.

Old
11-20-2009, 02:07 PM
The Waffler
Can wipe my own ass!

Three cheers for chum!

He's such a warrior!

The Waffler is offline   Reply With Quote