HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Notices

Donovan possibly out for the year

Old
11-20-2009, 02:13 PM
The Mars Volchenkov

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to The Mars Volchenkov
Quote:
Originally Posted by poutineplato View Post
Bass had shoulder surgery or something last season and played only a handful of games which stunted his development. I'm not sure how much Bass would be worth right now, but all reports are that he's playing lights out in Bingo.

I've heard a few interviews with him, he actually agreed with the coaches that he wasn't ready for NHL play after his surgery, and didn't mind spending some time in Bingo. All indications are that this guy is a younger version of Donovan, with a bit more size and grit although perhaps lacking a bit of the offense. He's a heart and soul checker who gives it everything he has. I wouldn't want to move him at all.
Where are you getting that from? I've read the exact opposite. He's a team worst -13 in Bingo, and the next closest guy is a -7.

The guy more likely to graduate to the NHL is Zack Smith.

The Mars Volchenkov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2009, 02:14 PM
PoutineSp00nZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mars Volchenkov View Post
Where are you getting that from? I've read the exact opposite. He's a team worst -13 in Bingo, and the next closest guy is a -7.

The guy more likely to graduate to the NHL is Zack Smith.
I don't give a rat's ass about plus minus. Its the most ridiculous and useless stat in the game.

He's been doing what he's supposed to do which isn't score goals.

PoutineSp00nZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2009, 02:15 PM
utah

That's too bad for Donovan and for the Sens.

utah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2009, 02:15 PM
The Mars Volchenkov

Send a message via MSN to The Mars Volchenkov
Quote:
I don't give a rat's ass about plus minus. Its the most ridiculous and useless stat in the game.

He's been doing what he's supposed to do which isn't score goals.
If he's not scoring goals and he's a -13, then what exactly is he doing? I don't really care for the +/- stat a whole lot either, but when a guy is -13 and no one else is even close to him, he can't be doing a whole lot of things right.

The Mars Volchenkov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2009, 02:17 PM
TheGeneral

nooooooo. right as I was campaigning to people he has been our best player on the bottom lines, and then some. He should not have been scratched at all this year, I know everyone wants the young guys in there and that but really, there isn't a shift donovan takes that something doesn't happen on, offensively or good defensive play, plus lots of hitting and speed. terrible terrible news. I'd take dono over cheech on any team for value

TheGeneral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2009, 02:18 PM
PoutineSp00nZ

Quote:
If he's not scoring goals and he's a -13, then what exactly is he doing? I don't really care for the +/- stat a whole lot either, but when a guy is -13 and no one else is even close to him, he can't be doing a whole lot of things right.
Killing penalties, forechecking, backchecking, fighting. He's doing what a fourth liner should be doing. I haven't seen him play this year, but from whats been reported on him he's been playing well.

Ignore plus/minus. It is too easily skewed to mean anything.

Old
11-20-2009, 02:19 PM
Juice*

Quote:
I wouldnt say useless, but it is misleading.

For instance I coach a minor midget AAA team and by far our best player is a defenceman. this defenceman is -12 where the rest of the team is -5ish
we are a bad team and you would think its a telling stat but its due to his icetime being higher than his teammates and the fact he has to baby sit his d partner at times and has to go up against the other teams best players.

Not the same situation as bass maybe, but a situation where the stat is very very misleading.

Juice* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2009, 02:20 PM
The Expert
Registered Expert

How the hell is that a clean hit. It's not like Donovan jumped out of the way to avoid the hit.

This was just a dirty play by guy who has made a career out of things like that, pissed off late in a blowout game. The ineptitude of Colin Campbell continues to amaze me.

The Expert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2009, 02:20 PM
PoutineSp00nZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juice View Post
I wouldnt say useless, but it is misleading.

For instance I coach a minor midget AAA team and by far our best player is a defenceman. this defenceman is -12 where the rest of the team is -5ish
we are a bad team and you would think its a telling stat but its due to his icetime being higher than his teammates and the fact he has to baby sit his d partner at times and has to go up against the other teams best players.

Not the same situation as bass maybe, but a situation where the stat is very very misleading.
That's the thing about plus minus. Not to mention that someone can shift on the ice and have a goal scored for or against that has nothing to do with the player.

Old
11-20-2009, 02:21 PM
PoutineSp00nZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass Lee View Post
How the hell is that a clean hit. It's not like Donovan jumped out of the way to avoid the hit.

This was just a dirty play by guy who has made a career out of things like that, pissed off late in a blowout game. The ineptitude of Colin Campbell continues to amaze me.
Campbell has been inept at his job for years. Unfortunately NHL brass is a country club for old friends, so don't expect him to get fired anytime soon.

Old
11-20-2009, 02:47 PM
Jerk Store
Classless

Quote:
Bass had shoulder surgery or something last season and played only a handful of games which stunted his development. I'm not sure how much Bass would be worth right now, but all reports are that he's playing lights out in Bingo.

I've heard a few interviews with him, he actually agreed with the coaches that he wasn't ready for NHL play after his surgery, and didn't mind spending some time in Bingo. All indications are that this guy is a younger version of Donovan, with a bit more size and grit although perhaps lacking a bit of the offense. He's a heart and soul checker who gives it everything he has. I wouldn't want to move him at all.
well if he is playing lights out, he could fetch a decent return. the thing is, as you said, we have too many of these guys in our system. so in order to have a good balance of young guns and vets, i'd rather sacrifice a 4th line position to add a veteran than signing another kovalev. at a certain point, no matter how good the guys attitude is, you gotta cut some.

And if not Bass, then try something with Kelly, Smith, O'brien, Ruutu, whatever, to make it all fit under the cap but not have a group full of kids.

Jerk Store is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2009, 03:09 PM
OmniSens
@OmniSenators

vCash: 106
Send a message via Skype™ to OmniSens
Chum didn't lose his leg did he? It didn't look that bad but if he's gone, he'll call it a career

OmniSens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2009, 04:18 PM
Sensfanman

Man that's terrible. His patented energy shifts notably sparked our team multiple times. If he is indeed done, I want him to stay in the organization (assuming he retires). He's a living spark plug.

Sensfanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2009, 04:20 PM
NyQuil
Setec Astronomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by familyguyman View Post
Man that's terrible. His patented energy shifts notably sparked our team multiple times. If he is indeed done, I want him to stay in the organization (assuming he retires). He's a living spark plug.
He and Dean McAmmond are both guys where I'd like to run into them some day and tell 'em how much they were appreciated as Senators.

They probably don't get that all that much.

NyQuil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2009, 04:25 PM
Sensfanman

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyQuil View Post
He and Dean McAmmond are both guys where I'd like to run into them some day and tell 'em how much they were appreciated as Senators.

No love for Robitaille?

But yea, probably my two favourite non-Star Sens post-lockout

Sensfanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2009, 04:51 PM
Percy LeSueur

I have a funny feeling Donovan will be back sooner than we think. The guy just doesn't know the meaning of the word "quit".

Percy LeSueur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2009, 05:32 PM
aragorn
YES WE CAN

Just a question?

Can Donovan be traded (or included in a trade) if he is injured & out for the season, if the Sens wanted to dump his salary or trade him to a team who wants to dump salary (Chicago)? If I recall there are some strange rules regarding replacing injured players.

aragorn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2009, 06:19 PM
TheWeb

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyQuil View Post

Agreed, loved those two guys on the 4th line and always thought they should get more ice time.

Also, as per many other posters, I think this means that Donovans career is over.

TheWeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2009, 06:33 PM
ThreeStars

Quote:
Originally Posted by aragorn View Post
Can Donovan be traded (or included in a trade) if he is injured & out for the season, if the Sens wanted to dump his salary or trade him to a team who wants to dump salary (Chicago)? If I recall there are some strange rules regarding replacing injured players.
Why not just put hm on LTIR...his salary comes off then anyway.

ThreeStars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2009, 07:02 PM
sporty12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Neighbour View Post
Donovan had been playing well. It's unfortunate that the knee injury could be extremely serious. Given that this is the last year of his contract, last night could have very well been his last game as a Senator.
i hope not he might be back in time for the playoffs? hope its not too serious!
hes a great fourth liner who brings energy to the team

sporty12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2009, 07:24 PM
Hale The Villain

vCash: 50
We lose Donovan for the rest of the season, Pens lose Cooke for 0 games

Colin Campbell at his finest

Hale The Villain is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2009, 08:30 PM
Ranch Tooth

I doubt Donovan will be available to do it himself but Cooke will have to answer for this December 23rd in Pitt. Cooke's a spot picking coward that's never went into a corner first in his life. Someone is going to grab him and dummy him. This team isn't as talented, but these aren't Jacques Martin's turn the other cheek Sens.

Ranch Tooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2009, 08:54 PM
Pyke*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan Drago View Post
I doubt Donovan will be available to do it himself but Cooke will have to answer for this December 23rd in Pitt. Cooke's a spot picking coward that's never went into a corner first in his life. Someone is going to grab him and dummy him. This team isn't as talented, but these aren't Jacques Martin's turn the other cheek Sens.
yay.

Todd Bertuzzi 2. =/.

Pyke* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2009, 09:34 PM
Ranch Tooth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyke View Post
yay.

Todd Bertuzzi 2. =/.
Let's hope not. Hopefully the Sens leave it alone after Cooke accepts a challenge like Moore did earlier in that game. Bertuzzi's a moron.

Ranch Tooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2009, 10:12 PM
DG

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Worst Poster View Post
Are you sending a message? Trying to spark your team for a 5 goal in 5 minute comeback? Congrats on possibly ending the NHL career of a clean, hard-working player who didn't have it coming.

I'd hate it just the same if it was Ruutu doing it to someone else in a similar game.
I realize it's not the same situation (being that it was the finals, so message sending was probably involved), but this is basically what happened to Dean McAmmond too.

Then again, same with the Downie hit and that was pre-season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aragorn View Post

DG is offline   Reply With Quote