HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What to do for game 4

Closed Thread

Old
04-14-2004, 08:15 AM
officeglen

vCash: 500
What to do for game 4

Ensure every line has a designated drive-to-the-net and stay-around-the-net guy. Ensure all powerplay units have this guy. Play Langfeld if necessary and sit Neil. Let Spezza play if he will go to the net. Vermette’s a fine player but not required for this series. If still not enough havoc in front of the Leaf net consider playing Simpson as a four line forward or playing Ray.

High-skill players should do the unexpected against Belfour – he is reading the play well so shoot when he thinks you would pass, and pass to the unexpected player. Change the powerplay setups – Belfour has seen the film.

Abuse Leetch. Make him work in front of the net. Manhandle him. Force him to go into the corners and give up the puck if it means a good hit on him, especially a lower body hit.

Team meeting spot – one foot in front of Belfour’s nose. Show up at 7:10 pm and continue to meet there until game over. Overload the front of the net area on the powerplay. Don’t let him see the puck all the time.

Old
04-14-2004, 08:26 AM
Other Dave

Agree with all the above. In addition, the Sens should start the game BACK deep in their zone. The Leafs are playing cautious, trapping hockey, and the Sens need to do the same rather than try to play the game the Leafs' strategy is designed to defeat. Draw out the Leafs' forecheckers, tempt McCabe and Leetch into pinching, and then go for the breakout passes.

Other Dave

Old
04-14-2004, 10:04 AM
Puck
Ninja

Agreed too.

It is too bad they don't call goalies for freezing the puck, for no reason, anymore...Belfour freezes the puck all the time...The Sens never get a chance at any rebounds.

As for the Leaf Trap, it would be nice if the Sens got the 1st goal. That would spell the end of that trapping strategy, in a hurry.

I'm so nervous...

Old
04-14-2004, 10:16 AM
Sting

Send a message via MSN to Sting
They need the first goal...the Leafs have scored first in both losses, and it's clear that it makes a difference in the end. If the Sens score first they usually build on it. When they were slumping back in November, almost every game they lost they gave up the first goal. We need to get it so the Leafs stop trapping. That's one of the main reasons we can't score either.

Old
04-14-2004, 10:18 AM
MacDaddy TLC*

Plan your snacks accordingly. We are in for a long night, I think.

Old
04-14-2004, 10:30 AM
Puck
Ninja

The Leafs got the 1st goal in the 1st game too but the refs gave the Sens that 5 on 3 PP and they were able to capitalize. The refs are swallowing their whistles again, don't expect too many PP chances. 1st goal will be huge....

Old
04-14-2004, 11:01 AM
TexSen

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacDaddy Version 1.3
Plan your snacks accordingly. We are in for a long night, I think.
That's what TIVO is for. No more having to wait for an icing to empty the gas tank. Pause the live tv and unpause after the trip to the porcelain.

Old
04-14-2004, 12:05 PM
Papadice

Send a message via MSN to Papadice
Quote:
Originally Posted by officeglen
Team meeting spot – one foot in front of Belfour’s nose. Show up at 7:10 pm and continue to meet there until game over.
I must say, I enjoyed that...

Old
04-14-2004, 12:36 PM
HF2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by Other Dave
Agree with all the above. In addition, the Sens should start the game BACK deep in their zone. The Leafs are playing cautious, trapping hockey, and the Sens need to do the same rather than try to play the game the Leafs' strategy is designed to defeat. Draw out the Leafs' forecheckers, tempt McCabe and Leetch into pinching, and then go for the breakout passes.

Other Dave

This isn't soccer. I know what you mean, but the Sens can't sit back. The Leafs are a forechecking team and that plays into their style.

For all the knowledgeable fans out there who said that Ottawa played into the leafs game plan, there's about 10x the number of people who really know that there's no way the Leafs want to play that way at all. McCabe himself said that there's no way that was their game plan - get outshot, outhit and outchanced and rely on Eddie to bail us out.

I say keep it up. What was really wrong that game? Belfour played the game of his life. Hossa had 10 shots, which tells me they can't contain him. He hit the crossbar once, was robbed once by Belfour's glove, and was all over the Leafs. I don't care how many of their fans brag that "the leafs did their job, they shut him down because he didn't score". That's BS. I guarantee that Quinn wasn't saying that.

Keep it up. The Leafs are looking tired already. Leetch and McCabe aren't going to last at 30 mins a game, and that's without any OT.

Old
04-14-2004, 01:20 PM
attis76

Even if the Senators scored the first one,It doesn't mean anything.Toronto has a reputation winning game that already was considered to be lost.
I'm not afraid if the Sens score first at all,we are not Minnesota we have more than enough players to execute the Senators,by scoring a couple..

Old
04-14-2004, 02:16 PM
Dar

Send a message via MSN to Dar
I don't understand why Martin doesn't place Bonk on Sundin's shoulders all night to shadow him the way he has effectively done for many years now and let Chara plunk his lanky ass in front of Belfour all night and let him worry doing his own thing rather than what someone else is doing. Chara's being wasted IMO and is a greater offensive threat than Bonk (again MO) with his height and strength on the PP and his slap shot when 5 on 5.

Old
04-14-2004, 02:22 PM
SensGod

Send a message via MSN to SensGod
What to do for game 4?

Pretty simple in my books...scrore a god damned goal would be nice.

If we don't win tonight...Leafs in 5.

Closed Thread