HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Slapshot blade

Old
11-21-2009, 11:36 PM
thedoc1019

vCash: 500
Slapshot blade

anyone got any recommendations for a blade that could give a mean slapshot?

thedoc1019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2009, 11:42 PM
CanadaBacon

Heel curve, around a 1/2" slightly open.

It also depends on how well you can take a slapper.

CanadaBacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2009, 11:42 PM
Hockeyfan68

Blade or blade pattern?

I've found the best ones to be the ones that are a mid curve with either a closed toe or slightly open.

Bergeron, Coffey, Thornton, Recchi, Datsyuk, Iginla etc.

Basically though one should be able to shoot a slapper with any blade even with the crazy open faced Getzlaf or Lidstrom curve though it is definitely more work controlling them with those.

For quick results though without having to learn how a certain strange curve shoots I would recommend the basic mid curves I have mentioned. A deep curve will work better for a slapshot but you sacrifice having a backhander worth anything.

Slapshots are my best shot and those are what I usually use.

Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2009, 12:36 AM
Hobgoblin Steve
Bacon of Light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyfan68 View Post
Blade or blade pattern?

I've found the best ones to be the ones that are a mid curve with either a closed toe or slightly open.

Bergeron, Coffey, Thornton, Recchi, Datsyuk, Iginla etc.

Basically though one should be able to shoot a slapper with any blade even with the crazy open faced Getzlaf or Lidstrom curve though it is definitely more work controlling them with those.

For quick results though without having to learn how a certain strange curve shoots I would recommend the basic mid curves I have mentioned. A deep curve will work better for a slapshot but you sacrifice having a backhander worth anything.

Slapshots are my best shot and those are what I usually use.
Id say go with the Thornton, I get a ridiculous slapper with it. Fast, low and hard, and wristshots are pretty good too (for me anyway, but Im having difficulty top shelving for now)

Hobgoblin Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2009, 12:39 AM
CanadaBacon

a 3/4" mid is not an ideal blade to recommend to someone for slappers, sure it might work for you but it is definetly not the ideal blade pattern. How can you have a problem going top shelf with a3/4"? sure it is closed but come on.

PS the Getzlaf/Lindstrom is a slapper blade, its the whole point of the blade pattern. If you cant control the puck its because you need a cupped blade, if you cant control the puck with a 1/2" curve on it you need to practice your puck control. The Iginla is a 1/2" and it is also as open as the Getzlaf, yet you recommend that? That should tell the OP something right there. Any open faced blade should not be of any concern if you can already handle the puck or you are just starting out.

It blows my mind that someone is saying a 3/4" mid curve is an ideal slapper blade, especially not knowing the OP's skill level. If you are a beginner to average player, you want as much of a straight surface as possible on you blade so you have more area in which to hit the puck square, with a deep curve you got to be dead on.

1/2" heel curve slightly open and your in business, dont need to be a pro star to use this blade.

Last edited by CanadaBacon: 11-22-2009 at 01:02 AM.
Old
11-22-2009, 12:25 PM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobgoblin Steve View Post
Id say go with the Thornton, I get a ridiculous slapper with it. Fast, low and hard, and wristshots are pretty good too (for me anyway, but Im having difficulty top shelving for now)
I don't have a hard time top shelving pucks with the Thornton. Maybe because I kinda grew up on those.

I do know one thing something works for everyone and often they are not the same thing. Curve, length of stick, flex etc. There are so many variables involved.

I prefer the 1/2" depth because I hate losing the backhand shot so it is a give and take for each player's style. I play the off-wing a lot and NEED a backhand pass and shot. I used to use a 1/4" depth curve which is not very much of a curve and had no open toe at all.

Old
11-22-2009, 04:14 PM
thedoc1019

I'm leaning toward the Lidstrom/Getzlaf but you guys are saying it's hard to control your shot?Is it worth the money for a defensemen?

Old
11-22-2009, 04:51 PM
blueberrydanish

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedoc1019 View Post
I'm leaning toward the Lidstrom/Getzlaf but you guys are saying it's hard to control your shot?Is it worth the money for a defensemen?
Depends on how good your shot is in general control wise...and as a defenseman its an awesome curve. Wish it was easy to find the same curve in bauer, but the p02 seems impossible to get, but the p106 is close enough

blueberrydanish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2009, 05:59 PM
thedoc1019

so you would recommend it?

Old
11-22-2009, 06:19 PM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:
I would recommend it, I use one and it is a good curve you just have to control your followthrough because it is easy to rise shots with it. If you are used to top shelfing a slapper already with a normal blade it is very easy to completely miss the net by 2 or 3 feet over the crossbar.

Old
11-22-2009, 06:55 PM
blueberrydanish

Quote:
Personally, I highly recommend it

Old
11-22-2009, 09:55 PM
thedoc1019

Quote:
I would recommend it, I use one and it is a good curve you just have to control your followthrough because it is easy to rise shots with it. If you are used to top shelfing a slapper already with a normal blade it is very easy to completely miss the net by 2 or 3 feet over the crossbar.
that's the thing, i'm not use to rising my slapshots with my normal blade and I need to start getting them off the ground some and so I found this blade and since you guys recommend I'll probably purchase this blade after my current one get worn down or breaks

Old
11-22-2009, 11:07 PM
CanadaBacon

Quote:
that's the thing, i'm not use to rising my slapshots with my normal blade and I need to start getting them off the ground some and so I found this blade and since you guys recommend I'll probably purchase this blade after my current one get worn down or breaks
You will get a better slapper off of this blade because you will have a less of a curve which equals more area to hit the puck with square, with a deep curve you got to hit it exact or the shot is balls'd up. The only "control" issue you MIGHT have is stick handling because it doesnt have a curve to cup the puck. With it being open will help you raise it when you want to but as you know, im sure, its easy to keep the puck on the ice when you want.

It is a slapper blade, any heel with a moderate curve is a good slapper, you have many options to chose from

Have fun and good luck.

Old
11-23-2009, 12:15 AM
RJC

drury lidstrom

RJC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2009, 10:33 AM
ShootIt

For me, the best curve I've used was a P92(mid toe 1/2) for a slapshot.

I also liked the Pm9 (mid heel 3/8) but with the P92 I'm a lot more accurate, especially if I want to go just below the crossbar.

ShootIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2009, 12:05 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Well since you're having trouble getting slappers off the ground, I'd say PM9 and work on the form. I sure wouldn't try and go top shelf from the point. But a slight heel curve with a neutral face is good for controlling slapshots.

Jarick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2009, 12:09 PM
Blueshockey2*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Well since you're having trouble getting slappers off the ground, I'd say PM9 and work on the form. I sure wouldn't try and go top shelf from the point. But a slight heel curve with a neutral face is good for controlling slapshots.
I use Easton Sakic or Warrior Draper and have a pretty heavy shot with both of them

Blueshockey2* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2009, 01:08 PM
NYRSinceBirth

When I used the PM9 my slappers were about 6-12" off the ice from the top of the circles/point. In other words, perfect. But I rarely play D, and even more rarely take slap shots, so I use a different curve now.

NYRSinceBirth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2009, 05:59 PM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:
The Getzlaf/Lidstrom has a deep curve (I use one and know) as well as having the open toe. Shots are very easy to rise with it I am sure it will help your game.

Saucer passes are also nice with it.

If you love your backhander shots kiss it goodbye with it however.

Old
11-23-2009, 07:16 PM
CanadaBacon

Quote:
The Getzlaf/Lidstrom has a deep curve (I use one and know) as well as having the open toe. Shots are very easy to rise with it I am sure it will help your game.

Saucer passes are also nice with it.

If you love your backhander shots kiss it goodbye with it however.

Its a 1/2" heel with square toe, the whole blade is open.

Old
11-24-2009, 09:16 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueshockey2 View Post
I use Easton Sakic or Warrior Draper and have a pretty heavy shot with both of them
Curve shouldn't have anything to do with how hard your shot is...I'd just say shooting slapshots up high through traffic from the point isn't a good idea at all.

Old
11-24-2009, 09:18 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Here's some stuff I wrote about shooting.

Old
11-24-2009, 09:48 AM
CanadaBacon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Curve shouldn't have anything to do with how hard your shot is...I'd just say shooting slapshots up high through traffic from the point isn't a good idea at all.
^^ yup ^^

Most beer leagues dont allow slappers

Old
11-24-2009, 10:10 AM
blueberrydanish

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadaBacon View Post
^^ yup ^^

Most beer leagues dont allow slappers
Pfht! Slappers are the funnest shot(in my opinion obviously), sure am glad my league isnt like that.

Old
11-24-2009, 10:23 AM
94now

You can shoot slapper with any curve. The key is to hit the puck with your curve bottom. Deep curves are simply less forgiving ones. So if are not consistent in your shot being a beginner, for instance, do not use deep curve regardless of curve location. If you tend to hit the puck with the heel use heel curves (Drury, Lidsrom, Ovechkin). If you hitting the puck with blade middle go for Modano/ Malkin, Coffey, Iginla or Forseberg. Make sure, first of all, that your lie is correct, that will make the search much narrow.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote