HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Calgary Flames @ Los Angeles Kings 11/21/09

Old
11-22-2009, 07:09 PM
MxK1NGS

vCash: 500
I like it how we go on a little losing streak and now everyone has no hope.

As I have been this whole year, I will say Quick played soft once again. Not pinning the game on him because the whole team played like crap but come on. Seems like every game = at least on soft goal. He has to play more like a #1 goalie IMO.

As for TM, WHY WOULD YOU MOVE IVANANS UP? For his first game, Kopitar looked bad out there, very surprising.

MxK1NGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2009, 08:03 PM
LAX attack*

Send a message via AIM to LAX attack*
I'm glad I missed this one... sounds like some would have been better off if they had missed it as well

LAX attack* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2009, 08:29 PM
imissgretzky

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Doughty8 View Post
I like it how we go on a little losing streak and now everyone has no hope.
The problem isn't "a little losing streak" This team has not looked good since we beat a depleted Pittsburgh team. They are 3-5 since then, with our wins coming against bottom feeders Carolina and Florida, as well as Tampa, whose 9-5 record looks better than the team actually is.

The reason I am starting to panic is that the team is starting to follow the exact same pattern they have established over the last few years; a good start followed by a complete tank for the rest of the year. This is all the young players that have been here throughout this time know and I see them starting to fall in to that pattern this year as well. They've never been able to overcome the inevitable post hot start losing streak in previous seasons. I see it starting to happen again this year and I think they really need to turn a corner that they have never been able to turn in the past. I see it not only in their play on the ice but in their faces in the post-game interviews. Their confidence is starting to wain.

That being said, I think this team IS better than they have been over the last few years. I just hope that the leadership of Scuderi, Smyth and (most frighteningly after some of his decisions over the last 2 weeks) Terry Murray can teach the kids to not panic and realize that they are capable of being a playoff team.

Like it or not this is a turning point in the season. If they respond and start to play hockey like they did for the first month of the season then we will be alright. If not, and they spiral down again like they have in the past, then we are in for another long year.

imissgretzky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2009, 08:57 PM
LAX attack*

Send a message via AIM to LAX attack*
Quote:
Originally Posted by imissgretzky View Post
The problem isn't "a little losing streak" This team has not looked good since we beat a depleted Pittsburgh team. They are 3-5 since then, with our wins coming against bottom feeders Carolina and Florida, as well as Tampa, whose 9-5 record looks better than the team actually is.

The reason I am starting to panic is that the team is starting to follow the exact same pattern they have established over the last few years; a good start followed by a complete tank for the rest of the year. This is all the young players that have been here throughout this time know and I see them starting to fall in to that pattern this year as well. They've never been able to overcome the inevitable post hot start losing streak in previous seasons. I see it starting to happen again this year and I think they really need to turn a corner that they have never been able to turn in the past. I see it not only in their play on the ice but in their faces in the post-game interviews. Their confidence is starting to wain.

That being said, I think this team IS better than they have been over the last few years. I just hope that the leadership of Scuderi, Smyth and (most frighteningly after some of his decisions over the last 2 weeks) Terry Murray can teach the kids to not panic and realize that they are capable of being a playoff team.

Like it or not this is a turning point in the season. If they respond and start to play hockey like they did for the first month of the season then we will be alright. If not, and they spiral down again like they have in the past, then we are in for another long year.
After 20 games

06-07: 6-10-4 (6-14)

07-08: 8-11-1 (8-12)

08-09: 8-9-3 (8-12)

09-10: 11-7-2 (11-9)

What trend would that be?

LAX attack* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2009, 09:33 PM
imissgretzky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doughty Number 8 View Post
After 20 games

06-07: 6-10-4 (6-14)

07-08: 8-11-1 (8-12)

08-09: 8-9-3 (8-12)

09-10: 11-7-2 (11-9)

What trend would that be?
I see your point, and admittedly I was going off memory, but 8-9-3 and 8-11-1 IS a good start for the Kings, and they were still in the playoff picture at this point in both seasons. Also if you extend last year out to 2 months they were 10-9-1. They also had a 7-2-1 run in late October/early November in 07-08. Maybe "showed promise at the start of the year" would have been a better way to put it.

Old
11-22-2009, 09:36 PM
3rdEye
HF Official Producer

Don't know if anyone saw this but we thought it was hilarious. This kid totally snapped when Iggy got the hat-trick goal.

3rdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2009, 09:46 PM
JT Dutch*
Cult of Personality

Quote:
I see your point, and admittedly I was going off memory, but 8-9-3 and 8-11-1 IS a good start for the Kings, and they were still in the playoff picture at this point in both seasons. Also if you extend last year out to 2 months they were 10-9-1. They also had a 7-2-1 run in late October/early November in 07-08. Maybe "showed promise at the start of the year" would have been a better way to put it.
... Well, the Kings were notorious for having fast starts in the Andy Murray era but more often than not struggled down the stretch. I don't mind that the Kings are basically a .500 team right now -- it's a damn sight better than what they've done for a while, and it would be nice to see this team go on a run in the later part of the season for a change.

JT Dutch* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2009, 11:04 PM
redcard

Quote:
Originally Posted by JT Dutch View Post
... Well, the Kings were notorious for having fast starts in the Andy Murray era but more often than not struggled down the stretch. I don't mind that the Kings are basically a .500 team right now -- it's a damn sight better than what they've done for a while, and it would be nice to see this team go on a run in the later part of the season for a change.
Right, but that was the Andy Murray era and really has very little relevance to this team. The late season break down was due to Andy's physical overworking of the team. Terry Murray has no reputation of doing so. Additionally the only players on this team who played for Andy Murray when he was with the kings are Frolov and Brown (maybe O'D, don't remember). There's no reason to believe that this team will have an Andy Murray end of season breakdown.

redcard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2009, 12:14 PM
DIEHARD the King fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by redcard View Post
Right, but that was the Andy Murray era and really has very little relevance to this team. The late season break down was due to Andy's physical overworking of the team. Terry Murray has no reputation of doing so. Additionally the only players on this team who played for Andy Murray when he was with the kings are Frolov and Brown (maybe O'D, don't remember). There's no reason to believe that this team will have an Andy Murray end of season breakdown.
You're right on that count, but even a "normal" Kings end of the season break down will leave us all questioning whether the team has the horses to be a contending team and whether our coach has the hockey wherewithal to take them ther even if they do!

I think the jury is still out on both those questions.

DIEHARD the King fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2009, 01:55 PM
imissgretzky

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIEHARD the King fan View Post
You're right on that count, but even a "normal" Kings end of the season break down will leave us all questioning whether the team has the horses to be a contending team and whether our coach has the hockey wherewithal to take them ther even if they do!

I think the jury is still out on both those questions.
Definitely true. None of our core players have proven they have what it takes to be competitive at the end of the season. The cream rises to the top at the end of the year in the NHL. It's not about how you start, it's about the finish, and going into the playoffs hot.

Old
11-23-2009, 02:19 PM
MxK1NGS

Quote:
Definitely true. None of our core players have proven they have what it takes to be competitive at the end of the season. The cream rises to the top at the end of the year in the NHL. It's not about how you start, it's about the finish, and going into the playoffs hot.
And this is where I think the Kings will light it up. We have all the talent needed to do so. But with that we will need EVERY PLAYER to play strong! (Including Jon Quick). That is one of the reasons why I am not panicking as much. We can't expect a team that has been out of the playoffs for god know how long come on and get top 5 in the conference or whatever. This team will do good this year.

MxK1NGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2009, 03:15 PM
imissgretzky

Quote:
And this is where I think the Kings will light it up. We have all the talent needed to do so. But with that we will need EVERY PLAYER to play strong! (Including Jon Quick). That is one of the reasons why I am not panicking as much. We can't expect a team that has been out of the playoffs for god know how long come on and get top 5 in the conference or whatever. This team will do good this year.
I wasn't panicking either, until the Calgary game. They looked like boys against men out there. Hopefully that will be rock bottom and they will do what it takes to be competitive. After all these years of sucking, I am conditioned to think that they will not be able to overcome a run of bad games and continue to nose-dive into another dreadful season. This team IS good enough to make the playoffs if our leadership group of Smyth, Scuderi and TM (notice I didn't include our captain) can show them how to do it. It's all about attitude and mental toughness. We have the talent, now we need to show those intangibles that put a team over the top.

Old
11-23-2009, 03:22 PM
DIEHARD the King fan

Quote:
Of this I am not so sure. Our recent injury bug has shown just how thin we are, talent-wise. Lets hope the rumored call-ups bring some spark and energy to this team, and that TM figures out a way to light the proverbial fire under all their butts!

Old
11-23-2009, 03:22 PM
The Black1963
Grit & Character

Quote:
I wasn't panicking either, until the Calgary game. They looked like boys against men out there. Hopefully that will be rock bottom and they will do what it takes to be competitive. After all these years of sucking, I am conditioned to think that they will not be able to overcome a run of bad games and continue to nose-dive into another dreadful season. This team IS good enough to make the playoffs if our leadership group of Smyth, Scuderi and TM (notice I didn't include our captain) can show them how to do it. It's all about attitude and mental toughness. We have the talent, now we need to show those intangibles that put a team over the top.
Scuderi isn't the leader as some of you guys may think. Just because he's a big guy and has won a stanley cup doesn't automatically make him a leader. If anything, he's more introverted than Brown.

The Black1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2009, 03:39 PM
imissgretzky

Quote:
Originally Posted by RH63 View Post
Scuderi isn't the leader as some of you guys may think. Just because he's a big guy and has won a stanley cup doesn't automatically make him a leader. If anything, he's more introverted than Brown.
Interesting point. In the interviews I've seen he does seem to show a quiet confidence however. Also, his play in last years playoffs should be required viewing for not only our drfensemen, but our WHOLE TEAM, coaches included. He was the heart and soul of a cup-winning team.He is probably more of a lead by example kind of player than a stand-up in the locker room type.

He was brought in to be a leader. Whether he lives up to it or not will be a huge factor in our season IMHO.

Old
11-23-2009, 06:11 PM
DIEHARD the King fan

Quote:
Interesting point. In the interviews I've seen he does seem to show a quiet confidence however. Also, his play in last years playoffs should be required viewing for not only our drfensemen, but our WHOLE TEAM, coaches included. He was the heart and soul of a cup-winning team.He is probably more of a lead by example kind of player than a stand-up in the locker room type.

He was brought in to be a leader. Whether he lives up to it or not will be a huge factor in our season IMHO.
He is "THE PIECE!"

Old
11-23-2009, 06:19 PM
The Black1963
Grit & Character

Quote:
You're probably right the kings brought Scuderi to provide some leadership and he does provide that with his play. However, a true leader to me is someone who can show leadership not just with his play and how he conducts himself out on the ice but someone who can also show some emotions and a vocal leader in the locker rooms as well.

The Black1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2009, 11:41 PM
imissgretzky

Iginla is -2 with no shot in 2 periods so far against the Dux tonight. Just sayin'.

Old
11-23-2009, 11:42 PM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Quote:
Iginla is -2 with no shot in 2 periods so far against the Dux tonight. Just sayin'.
He blew his So Cal load against us.

Reaper45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2009, 11:53 PM
TonySCV
Two Timer!

Now that folks have cooled their heels a bit... just a reminder that the schedule this month is brutal, and the schedule starting in January becomes much more favorable for the Kings, which Smyth should be back in plenty of time for.

I'd hoped the Kings would be .500 for this month with 8 road games, only 5 home games and 2 back to backs both on the road (and that was assuming a healthy Scuderi and Smyth at the time), and that is right where they are at right now.

A win, loss and OTL in the next 3 games would put them at .500 for the month, which I think is good considering the schedule, and will keep them at 4 games over .500 for the season with a chance to build on that down the stretch.

We've got one more rough month (December) to go before the scheduling gods swing the Kings way.

- T

TonySCV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2009, 12:05 AM
Herby
Culture Changer

Tony.

As you probably know, the Kings are notoriously terrible in December. Thats what has me worried.

I just hope we can stay in the hunt before that week long break we have in mid December, and then we should get Smyth back and hopefully we can make a run.

Herby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2009, 12:19 AM
TonySCV
Two Timer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herby View Post
Tony.

As you probably know, the Kings are notoriously terrible in December. Thats what has me worried.

I just hope we can stay in the hunt before that week long break we have in mid December, and then we should get Smyth back and hopefully we can make a run.
Regardless of past history in December, this December's schedule is awful. No doubt about it... arguably the worst month all season.

This season has always been about the Kings clawing tooth and nail for the 8th seed, which everyone needs to keep in mind. The hot start has made everyone's expectations get into areas of the stratosphere they never should have been.

That said, this team DID get hot at an opportune time schedule-wise and has an outstanding intra-division record to this point and a very good road record considering they've played more road games than just about everyone else in the conference, save for San Jose.

If anything, by having such a hot start, it's put them in very good shape for the 2nd half of the season. They've got to get through this month and next month at .500 or maybe a game over .500 if they are fortunate. Given the injury situation, I'll be very pleased with a 1-1-1 record for these last 3 games.

- T

TonySCV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2009, 12:30 AM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45 View Post
He blew his So Cal load against us.
He just blew his load on the Ducks with 16 seconds left to tie the game.

Ziggy Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2009, 12:36 AM
imissgretzky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
He just blew his load on the Ducks with 16 seconds left to tie the game.
Nice!! Hopefully he can get 3 more in OT