HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Chicago scouting Toronto.

Old
11-22-2009, 07:21 PM
Jerkini

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by brevard View Post
Just shooting the breeze here.
We all know that Chicago has to move a few (at least 2) players from their 3 million dollar club and take back lesser picks and prospects in order to get everything to fit and ice a team next year.
Other GM's know this as well but (IMO) Burke is the one guy who knows he can "steal" talent before the season ends. He has a team in the dumps and can make moves to help the Hawks while also really helping the Leafs move forward with a building plan.

For all the **** he takes here Campbell doesn't suck and if you move the clock ahead 4 or 5 years do you think the cap will be higher or lower than it is today?
If everything were to stay the same do you really project Kaberle returning to the Leafs who would be (without much help, due to all the picks moved for Kessel) 2 years into a 5 year rebuilding plan?
I personally think Bowman is thinking little while Burke is thinking big. he wants to use his ****** team and cap space to move ahead of the pack of teams that are waiting until june when they all hope to play "steal a Hawk".

So between honeydo's here I took a peak at the rosters and payrolls and tried to make a big (HF worthy) trade proposal that would help the Leafs build. Help the Hawks now and in the off season and not disrupt chemistry.

Campbell. Barker, Byfuglien, Ladd, Prospect, 1st rd pk, 2nd rd pk. (add a 2nd prospect or pick if needed)

For
Kaberle (replaces Campbell on 2nd pair) 2.88m cheaper has 1 more year left.
Finger (replaces Barker on 3rd pair) 0.317 more expensive has 2 years left
Stempniak (replaces Ladd) 0.950 more expensive both in final year.
Van Ryn (salary slot of Byfuglien but Hossa replaces Buff) 0.050 cheaper than Buff.

Hawks cap issue is solved ... All that is left is to move Sopel in the off season and get Madden to come back for around a million instead of 2.75. (or replace him). And if given a choice i would rather Kaberle and Finger than Campbell and Barker ... 2 years from now that might change but we play for it all this year.

Leafs push ahead with a building plan (imo) play wise today the 4 primary D changing teams is slightly slanted to Chicago (Van Ryn doesn't count) but the building teams get Campbell (locked up, term is not always a negative) and young improving Barker who could be paired with Schenn right now and for a decade..

The cost for taking Campbell's deal is getting Ladd (rfa) and Byfuglien along with picks and prospects. This is a massive overayment to Toronto but the Hawks were going to have to move assets on the cheap anyway so why not solve your probelm and get talent in return and if you are going to help another team ... you make sure it is one in the other conference.

The cap difference is roughly a million and then after the season Chicago has much cap space to get things done. (tagging room)
While many Leaf fans will disgree I don't see their cap as an issue and many see Campbell's term as a negative ... on a building ship having a decent top end PPQB high end guy tied up could be a positive. It is going to be difficult to bring people in to a losing situation so be prepared to not have options. I think burke is smart enough to know this. The Leafs (and Burke) are not going to win a cup next year or the year after. (IMO) His patience was a big part of building a decent team in Vancouver and also how a cup was won in Duckville. A trade like this bumps up building by a year and still leaves him with "primary" future UFA's (Poni and Stajan) to dump for picks at the deadline. They could very well end up having gained (25 and unders) Kessel, Byfuglien, Ladd and Barker with "in season" moves and still walk away with a 1st and 3 or 4 2nds in the draft.
As a Leafs fan, i'd do this.

Jerkini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2009, 07:26 PM
Andrew Mack

TORONTO
D Jeff Finger
D Ian White

CHICAGO
D Cam Barker
D Brent Sopel
2011 Toronto 3rd Pick

Andrew Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2009, 07:35 PM
johnny_rudeboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by EbonyRaptor View Post
As usual brevard - you put forward a well reasoned argument - in this case proposal. You did disclaim it being HFboard worthy as the number of players in the proposed trade definitely puts it into the whacky trade category. But, the net result can be argued as good for both teams.

But (you knew there was a 'but' coming), the proposal would probably be shot down with a little 2 letter word - "no". That would be the answer Campbell would give when asked if he would OK a trade to Toronto. I doubt Campbell would trade a legit shot at being on a Cup winner to "play closer to home", as some have suggested.
Dont tell me Campbell have a NTC? Why on earth give him a NTC and one of the biggest deals in the NHL?

johnny_rudeboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2009, 08:03 PM
TweetyLeaf

I really tried to read all this.

I stopped when i realised that all that is talked about is big names.

1st things first:

Sopel while he is expensive is decent 5-6 dman, atleast for Toronto he would be that. He can play second PP unit okay and can play second PK unit also. He is not great but he has uses and hes "calm under fire", does not make stupid plays often but is a bit slow in the situation sometimes.

Hes not worth 2.333
more like 1.0 at max.

Now you people seriously think that for the sake of 1.3 million overpaid dude, our loved GMs are gonna start throwing our best players out there ?

No.

The rumoured 2nd rounder + Sopel means something is going to chi town too. it might be a damn 7th rounder (or prospect, or depth guy) for all we know, it all depends how much uses Burke sees for Sopel and how much Bowman can bleed from a team that essentially needs to get something done. Burke knows Chicago still has time to play around. Sopel while certainly not an answer would still in my eyes be step to right direction for Toronto. Chicago will need replacement for Sopel, one way or another.

Thing is, if we move Sopel we essentially lose our 6th D man.
That means we need someone to play with Barker, and if i would be Bowman, I would throw energetic veteran guy there with him and not some rookie.

Hypotethical situation:
There are allways injuries and you need to be ready for them.

1: We would trade Sopel "for nothing".
2: Our 6th dman would be Jordan Hendry.
3: One of our top 6 Ds get hurt.
4: We dont have backup, well maybe we could try to win Stanley cup with Hendry - Lalonde as our 3rd pairing but i seriously think that the Stanley would disagree.
5: Okay there are waivers of course but seriously you think we could get someone good enough and cheap enough from there ?

TweetyLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2009, 08:31 PM
mjsnipe

sopel+2010 1st

i think something like this makes sense

toronto:
sopel
chi 2010 1st

chicago:
exelby/frogren

mjsnipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2009, 09:17 PM
GordieHoweHatTrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by brevard View Post
So between honeydo's here I took a peak at the rosters and payrolls and tried to make a big (HF worthy) trade proposal that would help the Leafs build. Help the Hawks now and in the off season and not disrupt chemistry.

Campbell. Barker, Byfuglien, Ladd, Prospect, 1st rd pk, 2nd rd pk. (add a 2nd prospect or pick if needed)

For
Kaberle (replaces Campbell on 2nd pair) 2.88m cheaper has 1 more year left.
Finger (replaces Barker on 3rd pair) 0.317 more expensive has 2 years left
Stempniak (replaces Ladd) 0.950 more expensive both in final year.
Van Ryn (salary slot of Byfuglien but Hossa replaces Buff) 0.050 cheaper than Buff.
While I'm anti-Campbell and his inflated contract I looked at this trade and couldn't think of a reason to reject it. It looks like a robbery from my POV. It's exactly what the Maple Leafs need. Size up front and picks while losing a contract that may handicap our future. Campbell and Barker off-set the losses.

I don't know who the Blackhawks intend on keeping to make the cap work but I didn't think they would deal Byfuglien. Byfuglien/Sharp could be interchangeable in this deal to make it work IMO. The prospect could be NCAA'er Billy Sweatt? Late picks and average prospects can also be interchangeable.

GordieHoweHatTrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2009, 09:30 PM
sensfan83*

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordieHoweHatTrick View Post
While I'm anti-Campbell and his inflated contract I looked at this trade and couldn't think of a reason to reject it. It looks like a robbery from my POV. It's exactly what the Maple Leafs need. Size up front and picks while losing a contract that may handicap our future. Campbell and Barker off-set the losses.

I don't know who the Blackhawks intend on keeping to make the cap work but I didn't think they would deal Byfuglien. Byfuglien/Sharp could be interchangeable in this deal to make it work IMO. The prospect could be NCAA'er Billy Sweatt? Late picks and average prospects can also be interchangeable.

Campbell >= Kaberle (7.1mil vs 4.25mil)
Barker >>>> Finger (3.1mil vs 3.5mil)
Ladd >>> Stempniak (1.55mil vs 2.5mil)
Sharp >>>>>>> Van Ryn (3.9mil vs 2.9mil)

Chicago adds a prospect, 1st and 2nd to downgrade on all fronts and save only about 2.5mil in cap space? One of the worst proposals I've ever seen.

Campbell + prospect + 2nd for Kaberle would be almost fair. Then it's Sharp, Barker, Ladd, 1st for Finger, Stempniak, Van Ryn.

sensfan83* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2009, 10:12 PM
GordieHoweHatTrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by sensfan83 View Post

Barker >>>> Finger (3.1mil vs 3.5mil)
Ladd >>> Stempniak (1.55mil vs 2.5mil)
Sharp >>>>>>> Van Ryn (3.9mil vs 2.9mil)

Chicago adds a prospect, 1st and 2nd to downgrade on all fronts and save only about 2.5mil in cap space? One of the worst proposals I've ever seen.

Campbell + prospect + 2nd for Kaberle would be almost fair. Then it's Sharp, Barker, Ladd, 1st for Finger, Stempniak, Van Ryn.
Correct me if I'm wrong but Chicago saves over $5Mill with Van Ryn on the IR so it's more like they save $5Mill to sign their prioritized players & maintain the same grade defensively while giving up Sharp + 1st + 2nd + prospect, but most people already knew what you, in particular, were going to say before you even clicked this thread.

The more I think about, Barker becomes redundant on the Maple Leaf blue-line. Campbell, Komisarek, Beauchemin & Schenn would all be signed to contracts relevant to the role they would play (top-4) and Ian White is due for a raise. I'm thinking you could exclude Barker from your deal and Maple Leafs would keep Stempniak. That would be $0.6Mill less savings but you could waive Sopel at the end of the season and keep Barker.

GordieHoweHatTrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2009, 10:21 PM
iPunch
Leafs Fan

vCash: 133
Quote:

Don't do drugs, kids.

iPunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2009, 10:23 PM
TheChief

Another day, another awful Leafs offer.

TheChief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2009, 10:23 PM
sensfan83*

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordieHoweHatTrick View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong but Chicago saves over $5Mill with Van Ryn on the IR so it's more like they save $5Mill to sign their prioritized players & maintain the same grade defensively while giving up Sharp + 1st + 2nd + prospect, but most people already knew what you, in particular, were going to say before you even clicked this thread.

The more I think about, Barker becomes redundant on the Maple Leaf blue-line. Campbell, Komisarek, Beauchemin & Schenn would all be signed to contracts relevant to the role they would play (top-4) and Ian White is due for a raise. I'm thinking you could exclude Barker from your deal and Maple Leafs would keep Stempniak. That would be $0.6Mill less savings but you could waive Sopel at the end of the season and keep Barker.
Why wouldn't Chicago just trade Barker for a prospect and 2nd? Then they save 3mil in cap space, get a pick and a prospect and don't have to give up Sharp, Ladd, 1st, 2nd, and a prospect. Do you really think 2mil more cap space is worth the kind of premium you're proposing?

Old
11-22-2009, 10:24 PM
MatthewT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punch Imlach View Post
Don't do drugs, kids.
Lets hope he made a typo. Kaberle is an awesome dman, and at his price is a steal.

MatthewT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2009, 10:29 PM
sensfan83*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewT View Post
Lets hope he made a typo. Kaberle is an awesome dman, and at his price is a steal.
Nope. Excluding contracts, Campbell is the better dman. Don't tell me you buy into the Leafs hype. Remember, this is the fanbase that tried to convince us they have a top 5 defense in the league, and will have no problem scoring goals since they added Kessel to an offense that scored the 10th most goals last season.

Old
11-22-2009, 10:31 PM
SenorDingDong

Quote:
Nope. Excluding contracts, Campbell is the better dman. Don't tell me you buy into the Leafs hype. Remember, this is the fanbase that tried to convince us they have a top 5 defense in the league, and will have no problem scoring goals since they added Kessel to an offense that scored the 10th most goals last season.
Its the contract hes talking about. Hence why he said "at his price hes a steal". Which he really is. Theres no leafs hype here were only talking about Kaberle.

SenorDingDong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2009, 10:32 PM
leafsfan2

Quote:
lets be honest even Chicago fans don't believe Campbell is better then Kaberle but i guess you know more.

leafsfan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2009, 10:33 PM
stempniaksen
Alright, I'm mad

Kaberle is better than Campbell, but not by as much as most people in this thread are saying. Campbell is a damn good defenceman in his own right, don't let his disgusting contract cloud your view.

stempniaksen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2009, 10:41 PM
sensfan83*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenorDingDong View Post
Its the contract hes talking about. Hence why he said "at his price hes a steal". Which he really is. Theres no leafs hype here were only talking about Kaberle.
He is on a great contract. But in my original post I was ranking them excluding contracts and, in that case, i think Campbell is >= Kaberle. He does everything Kaberle does but is a much faster and better skater and can actually throw a decent hit once in a while (albeit very infrequently). Both should be making something in the 5-6mil range.

Old
11-22-2009, 11:01 PM
MajinBlake

Counter to all offers?

Toronto:
P. Sharp
2nd Rd Pick
Salary dump

Chicago:
J. Finger
J. Tlusty

MajinBlake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2009, 11:17 PM
I am Canadian
Swedes + Leafs =

Quote:
Originally Posted by MajinBlake View Post
Counter to all offers?

Toronto:
P. Sharp
2nd Rd Pick
Salary dump

Chicago:
J. Finger
J. Tlusty

How about we stick to Sopel + 2nd for someone like Frogren instead of including Kaberle, Campbell, Buff, Sharp and everyone else. If this happens it will be a simple deal, you guys are taking it out of porportion. But really, this is HFboard dreamland so have fun everyone

I am Canadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2009, 11:29 PM
Paladin2799

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobermay View Post
Andrew Ladd, Dustin Byfuglien and Brent Sopel

For

Alexei Ponikarovsky, Jiri Tlusty, Garnet Exelby

I know, I know. Its only 3mil in salary (7mil-4mil), but Chicago can have an chance to tell Poni or Exelby go, or resign them. Plus Tlusty is a good asset to have. Toronto does Chicago a favour cap wise, and get good young players. Chicago doesn't get much worse off the trade. If you want we can give you Kulemin to fill Ladds spot as well.

Best trade ive seen in this thread.

Poni replaces Ladd/Buff, Tlusty is a key prospect and the wheel in this deal, and XLB is the cheap replacement for sopel.

Chicago can choose to resign poni if they want but it gives them a top6 replacement for buff/ladd for the playoffs.

Toronto gets 2 big strong powerforward to bolster their top6.

Perfect.

ps: i disagree completely about using kulemin as a chip in.

Paladin2799 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2009, 11:32 PM
TheChief

Quote:
Originally Posted by MajinBlake View Post
Counter to all offers?

Toronto:
P. Sharp
2nd Rd Pick
Salary dump

Chicago:
J. Finger
J. Tlusty
Wow.

TheChief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2009, 11:46 PM
Crazy_Ike
Cookin' with fire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leafsfan2 View Post
lets be honest even Chicago fans don't believe Campbell is better then Kaberle but i guess you know more.
Nope.

Campbell is actually moderately decent in his own zone... he's just rarely THERE.

Kaberle, on the other hand, is downright awful in his own zone. Yes, he really is. We are on the third Toronto coach who will not use him to kill penalties because he is incapable of playing well enough defensively or physically to do it. This despite the Leafs constantly having near the worst penalty killing in the league.

There's a reason your defense is so bad, and part of that reason is that your best defenseman sucks in his own zone.

That said, of course once you add in the contract differences, value changes dramatically.

Crazy_Ike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2009, 12:10 AM
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason

Quote:
Originally Posted by EbonyRaptor View Post

But (you knew there was a 'but' coming), the proposal would probably be shot down with a little 2 letter word - "no". That would be the answer Campbell would give when asked if he would OK a trade to Toronto. I doubt Campbell would trade a legit shot at being on a Cup winner to "play closer to home", as some have suggested.
Chicago is an easy 6 hour drive from Strathroy. It's not really that far. Toronto is about 2 hours and Detroit is about 2 hours. Buffalo is about 2.5 hours and Columbus is 5.5 hours.

smoke meat pete* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2009, 12:11 AM
Chandrashekhar Limit
ORANJE 4 LYFE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy_Ike View Post
You apparently are another person unaware that Buff is not a salary dump. Try watching some hockey.

Quote:
It seems more likely you've never seen Buff play in your life and have absolutely no idea what kind of value he has to the Hawks.

The only value the Leafs have to the Hawks is somewhere to bury a contract. They might take a prospect or someone they can put in the minors back but they'll still get fair value for the trade.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chandrashekhar Limit View Post
It seems like you've never seen a salary dump. No, they wont get fair value for dumping Sopel. The max they will get is like a 6.0 C prospect.
My response is to the bolded part. No there is no ****ing way Toronto is giving you fair value for a salary dump. Learn what a salary dump is, and learn how to read.

Quote:
Nope.

Campbell is actually moderately decent in his own zone... he's just rarely THERE.

Kaberle, on the other hand, is downright awful in his own zone. Yes, he really is. We are on the third Toronto coach who will not use him to kill penalties because he is incapable of playing well enough defensively or physically to do it. This despite the Leafs constantly having near the worst penalty killing in the league.

There's a reason your defense is so bad, and part of that reason is that your best defenseman sucks in his own zone.

That said, of course once you add in the contract differences, value changes dramatically.
Wow.......do YOU watch any hockey? Kaberle is awful in his own zone...since when?

He is not great defensively, but he definitely isn't awful. He is defensively aware, and rarely gives away the puck, or gets beat one on one.

Man, some ppl just talk without knowing anything.

EDIT: He doesn't play on the PK because we have guys who are better defensively than him on the PK. Namely, Komisarek, sometimes Schenn, and White. Also, the guy is a PP specialist, not a defensive specialist. Defensively he isn't the best, so he doesn't get PK time.

Also, if you watched any hockey, you would know that the past 8 games or so, since Gustavsson started playing, and since Toskala started making some saves, our PK has been good. At the beginning we weren't getting **** from Toskala and his awful goaltending really screwed us. Not to mention some boneheaded plays by Beauch.

Last edited by Chandrashekhar Limit: 11-23-2009 at 12:17 AM.
Chandrashekhar Limit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2009, 01:31 AM
Crazy_Ike
Cookin' with fire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chandrashekhar Limit View Post
Epic response. How can anyone argue with that logic?

Quote:
My response is to the bolded part. No there is no ****ing way Toronto is giving you fair value for a salary dump. Learn what a salary dump is, and learn how to read.
I read it just fine. You didn't seem to be able to keep up, frankly. And it bothers you so much you drug it back up here.

Quote:
Wow.......do YOU watch any hockey? Kaberle is awful in his own zone...since when?
Since pretty much forever.

Quote:
He is not great defensively, but he definitely isn't awful. He is defensively aware, and rarely gives away the puck, or gets beat one on one.
Yes he does. Keep drinking that koolaid. But of course, clearly you must be smarter than Quinn, Maurice, Wilson...

Quote:
Man, some ppl just talk without knowing anything.
Right back at ya. But, in my case, I actually have facts on my side. Case in point...

Quote:
EDIT: He doesn't play on the PK because we have guys who are better defensively than him on the PK. Namely, Komisarek, sometimes Schenn, and White.
Yes, they're so much better defensively than him they've led the Leafs to season after season of dead last penalty killing and worst in the league defensively.

LOL. If that is "better defensively than him" I think you just made my point for me. Thanks!

Where do you come up with this stuff? Are you just typing words at random?

Quote:
Also, if you watched any hockey, you would know that the past 8 games or so, since Gustavsson started playing, and since Toskala started making some saves, our PK has been good. At the beginning we weren't getting **** from Toskala and his awful goaltending really screwed us. Not to mention some boneheaded plays by Beauch.
So, you just started watching hockey 8 games ago then?

I've been watching it a bit longer, I'm afraid. I'm also afraid to tell you that your own coaches agree with me, not you.

That must hurt!

Crazy_Ike is offline   Reply With Quote