HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Whats that? 2 points away from 4th place?

Old
11-22-2009, 09:53 AM
DeVries*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by la25ecoupe View Post
Atlanta > Canadiens
THE ****???

DeVries* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2009, 09:55 AM
mlandry

Quote:
Originally Posted by husamus156 View Post
your predictions fails too
Good thing this thread has absolutely everything to do with those predictions. You would of looked like a troll if you had posted that in an unrelated thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by husamus156 View Post
why?

1# The fewer number of games played (i.e., superior points percentage). (habs 23-23 Thrashers)
2# The greater number of games won. (habs 11-8 Thrashers)
Atlanta is :

19 games : 10-7-2, 22 points

Montreal is :

23 games : 11-11-1, 23 points

So yes, Atlanta is doing better than Montreal right now.

mlandry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2009, 09:56 AM
CanadienErrant*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeBen View Post
Well looking at the rankings make me feel good

Yea sure we played more games than those aheads but we can't stop believing! I think the panic wind going on around here has been caused because we're used to amazing crazy start by our habs in the last couple years, might even up at the end

Don't stop believing my brothers, i pray the hockey gods for a break and so should you! The Canadians have been compared to religions for several decades, well now is time to truely show this and have faith in our Lord, Lord Stanley!
Habs have played 23 games while most of the teams in front of them have around 20 games played. Same with most of the teams below them.

They are closer to the 13th spot than to the 4th spot !

11 losses is huge at this stage of the season.

CanadienErrant* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2009, 09:59 AM
Ghetto Sangria
The implication

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
I just don't see the elements needed to go far in the playoffs, let alone beat any of the top 4 teams that we would encounter in the 1st round.

Call me a sadly realistic fan. It's probably the bitterness of the last 15 yrs.
It doesn't matter if we wont do well in the playoffs, you just want your team to do the best possible, and that's what you should be rooting for. Things happen in the playoffs... not often, but sometimes you can pull a Oilers run. Anything is possible

But yah first we gotta make the playoffs lol

Ghetto Sangria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2009, 10:17 AM
Capitano

Quote:
I just don't see the elements needed to go far in the playoffs, let alone beat any of the top 4 teams that we would encounter in the 1st round.

Are you a betting man or a hab fan?

The only way we can impact what we see on the ice is by cheering our boys...so leave the negative feelings for press imo.

Cheer...cheer as loud as you can my friend!

Capitano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2009, 10:32 AM
Born in 1909
Hockey Royalty

Quote:
who cares really? this team has no chance in hell to go anywhere in the playoffs this year.
Picture it...

The entire Dcorps is back
Price is solid to very hot
The team is hustling and organized
The slow starters have found scoring confidence

At the very least, they will be tough to beat

Born in 1909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2009, 10:36 AM
YMCMBeaulieu
A$AP MICHEL

Quote:
Originally Posted by citylife View Post
Picture it...

The entire Dcorps is back
Price is solid to very hot
The team is hustling and organized
The slow starters have found scoring confidence

At the very least, they will be tough to beat

Our defense core is the best it has been in years, we have a very good pairing in Hamrlik-Spacek and when Markov is back put Gorges or Mara with him and you have to very good pairings and still a solid third pairing made up of 2 of Mara/Gorges, Gill and O'Byrne.

The team is playing .500 hockey without their best player and that has been while adjusting to half a new team including a new coach with a new system, if they continue to play like they have the last two games then things can only go up from here especially when we get our injured guys back. I'm not saying we're a contender but if Price can continue to play like he has and if we get some secondary scoring they'll be a team people wouldn't want to face in the playoffs, if they do make it obviously.

YMCMBeaulieu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2009, 10:37 AM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by earl the habs fan View Post
The situation is not that rosy. The team is 12trh in the conference by winning pct. They have to get better and jump over 4 teams. That's a tall order for a team that is this hurt.

Habs are still in some trouble, but not as deep as they could or should be.
It's also not that bad. If you remove the inter-conference play, Montreal is 10-4 this year against the East. 9 of 23 games so far have been against the West (1-7-1). Sure, it means that if the Habs made the Stanley Cup finals, a Western team would likely run over a team comprised of the spare parts we're currently watching. But once Markov comes back and most of the remaining games are against the East, it's possible to jump spots faster because you're hopefully taking potential points away from direct competition in the standings.

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2009, 11:18 AM
Ollie Williams

Quote:

This statement can hold true and untrue for the time being. The way our team currently plays shows character which we were lacking for a few seasons. This team can only really be judged fairly after Gionta, Gomez and Markov return and are playing normally. So what elements are we referring to? Important elements we require to make it deep in the playoffs are: a healthy team for one (including our best defenseman Markov), excellent work ethic, solid goaltending, more than 1 offensive line and depth. Seems like the only one we are really missing is the first element as the depth issue fixes with the return of everyone.

Ollie Williams is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2009, 11:31 AM
Montreal Shadow

Doesn't really matter, this team still ain't going far in the playoffs for the next few years.

Montreal Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2009, 11:42 AM
m00ks

It's not worth looking at standings right now. Too early and teams are too even. What is important is we're within the tight pack despite the significant injuries we're sporting. We've played Washington and Detroit back to back and we didn't seem outclassed, fought with them tooth and nail. That alone merits some amount of optimism.

m00ks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2009, 11:58 AM
Erik Estrada
Nik Scherbak

We're over 18% right now to make the playoffs... We're very slowly creeping up to respectability. It's still a very long road ahead.

Erik Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2009, 12:07 PM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadienErrant View Post
Habs have played 23 games while most of the teams in front of them have around 20 games played. Same with most of the teams below them.

They are closer to the 13th spot than to the 4th spot !

11 losses is huge at this stage of the season.
They are in 12th place with a lot of work ahead of them.
Not impossible, but as you said we're a long way from 4th.

Agnostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2009, 12:29 PM
Dr_Hook

Well, looking at games played, I'd say we actually are a lot closer to being 25th overall than 4th in the conference but anyway... Gots to love those eternal optimists looking at a glass basically empty trying to convince themselves that it is "half-full"

Dr_Hook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2009, 03:40 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Hook View Post
Well, looking at games played, I'd say we actually are a lot closer to being 25th overall than 4th in the conference but anyway... Gots to love those eternal optimists looking at a glass basically empty trying to convince themselves that it is "half-full"
Conversely, I hope you don't accidentally slip on any razor blades on your next trip to the bathroom there Negative Nancy. There are only 16 inter conference games I think, which means there are only 14 points possible in the remaining games against the West. If the Habs remain equally terrible against the West, we can only expect 2 more points there. Hypothetical subtotal is now 25 pts.

That leaves 66 conference games, and the Habs are already 10W-4L there, meaning 104 conference points are left for the taking. 91 points gives the Habs a 50/50 chance of making the playoffs (chosen to keep the glass both half full and half empty ). That means the Habs, in this scenario of continued sucking against the West, need 65 points (29-16-7 would do) in the remaining 52 conference matches to have a 50/50 chance of a post-season. That ain't so bad.

Old
11-22-2009, 03:46 PM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

I normally dont start paying close attention to the standings until the new year.

I'm still trying to evaluate what I should expect from this current group.

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2009, 05:13 PM
Brisk-Illusion

I wish people would stop bringing up our place in standings until at least February as it is absolutely meaningless before that. All that matters is our W-L record.

We're at 11-11-1 right now, and history has shown us that regardless of the mid-season standings, the 8th place team needs around 94 pts to clinch a playoff spot.

In other words need to get 71 pts in 59 games, or post any record which amounts to at least 12 games above .500 (12-0-47 to 35-23-1)

Brisk-Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2009, 05:36 PM
FlyingKostitsyn

Quote:
who cares really? this team has no chance in hell to go anywhere in the playoffs this year.
Healthy I think this team can do some damage. Combine this with a strong performance from Price and some luck and we can win a round, perhaps two.

I know in the grand scheme of things we can't really hope for the cup. I know however that as an hockey fan I want my team to get as far as possible every year just to watch them

FlyingKostitsyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2009, 07:10 PM
The Russian General
Go Habs Go

Despite all our injuries, this team has been collecting points at a good rate and not often we've been beaten by more than 2 goals(saying that, would like to see the stats). There's'a lot of positive in our first quarter of season but of course, there's facets of the game where the Habs need to improve(PP!).

I'm not too worried for a playoff spot. When you have a good goaltender, you really have to be a very bad team to miss the playoffs.
Posted via Mobile Device

The Russian General is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2009, 07:55 PM
Habber09

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROEN View Post
tough week ahead

Yeah well, 3 out of a possible 4 points on the weekend against two "tough" teams... I ain't never scared!!!

Habber09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2009, 10:53 PM
habtastic

When we have a healthy team and JM has fully installed his system (the success of which may fluctuate for awhile), this team definitely has what it takes to be successful in the playoffs. We are currently hugely underachieving IMO. Things are starting to turn around, but when we have Gomez and Gionta playing at their full potentials, when we start getting more PPs and actually becoming good at them...oh Markov!, and when Lats and Lapierre finally get their **** together like last year, this team is going to go places. It will still come down to the very end, but we have a coach who can eventually turn us into a unified machine rather than an example of chaos theory.

habtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2009, 11:23 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brisk-Illusion View Post
I wish people would stop bringing up our place in standings until at least February as it is absolutely meaningless before that. All that matters is our W-L record.

We're at 11-11-1 right now, and history has shown us that regardless of the mid-season standings, the 8th place team needs around 94 pts to clinch a playoff spot.

In other words need to get 71 pts in 59 games, or post any record which amounts to at least 12 games above .500 (12-0-47 to 35-23-1)
Forgive the nit-pick, but I think history shows a lot of teams in recent years getting in with 91 and 92 points.

Old
11-22-2009, 11:55 PM
MaKi

I don't think we're doing as bad as some of the pessimists, or "realists" as they seem to think they are, have said we have.
Most people on these boards thought we would take the first part of the season to gel as a team, and get used to the new coaching system.
Throw in the injuries we've had to deal with, and I don't think we're far off where most of us thought we would be.
We might not be doing as well as some might have hoped we would be, but that's what happens when there is injuries.

And as I've pointed out in other threads, our biggest problem to this point had been our secondary scoring.
We had our top line scoring, but they weren't getting much help and this was leading people to blame our defense/goalies for loses where we simply got outscored.
What people forget with Markov is that he has consistently been one of our top scorers over the past few seasons, so losing him is in fact losing part of our secondary scoring.
Now having said that, we all know that injuries are part of the game and happen to all teams, so we can't lean on them as an excuse.
But what I hope the team can do while he's out is develop some semi consistent scoring from somewhere other than our top line.
Now with the injuries to Gionta and Gomez they're going to have to do that in a hurry.
It's sink or swim time for the habs, but I like to believe that if we can atleast tread water, we'll only be stronger once we get these guys back.

MaKi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2009, 12:36 AM
Rise from the Ashes
@JoelGabbayNHL

Send a message via MSN to Rise from the Ashes
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacKmtl View Post
I don't think we're doing as bad as some of the pessimists, or "realists" as they seem to think they are, have said we have.
Most people on these boards thought we would take the first part of the season to gel as a team, and get used to the new coaching system.
Throw in the injuries we've had to deal with, and I don't think we're far off where most of us thought we would be.
We might not be doing as well as some might have hoped we would be, but that's what happens when there is injuries.

And as I've pointed out in other threads, our biggest problem to this point had been our secondary scoring.
We had our top line scoring, but they weren't getting much help and this was leading people to blame our defense/goalies for loses where we simply got outscored.
What people forget with Markov is that he has consistently been one of our top scorers over the past few seasons, so losing him is in fact losing part of our secondary scoring.
Now having said that, we all know that injuries are part of the game and happen to all teams, so we can't lean on them as an excuse.
But what I hope the team can do while he's out is develop some semi consistent scoring from somewhere other than our top line.
Now with the injuries to Gionta and Gomez they're going to have to do that in a hurry.
It's sink or swim time for the habs, but I like to believe that if we can atleast tread water, we'll only be stronger once we get these guys back.
I agree. What I like about the injuries is that those who werent counted on to step up are. Its showing the character in our group of players. Regardless of the adversity, we still battle.

Rise from the Ashes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2009, 02:19 AM
bib
#believe

Quote:
All you need in the playoffs is a hot goaltender, just ask that Carolina team we ran into a few years back. You cannot possibly make this kind of prediction when we haven't even played half our games and when we're missing one of our key players in Markov. We have yet to hit our stride.

Quote:
Yup

bib is offline   Reply With Quote