HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

"Sunday Huddle" Oil Leaders team meeting

Old
11-22-2009, 03:21 PM
MePutPuckInNet

vCash: 500
"Sunday Huddle" Oil Leaders team meeting

http://oilers.nhl.com/club/news.htm?...id=DL|EDM|home

I wish I was a tiny little flea on the wall of this meeting. Do you think it's going to help?

MePutPuckInNet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2009, 03:21 PM
hockeyaddict101

Quote:
Originally Posted by MePutPuckInNet View Post

I wish I was a tiny little flea on the wall of this meeting. Do you think it's going to help?
Well I can't imagine it could hurt any

hockeyaddict101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2009, 03:23 PM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by MePutPuckInNet View Post

Didnt help last year. Is Moreau one of the leaders? Who is going to listen to that guy? We need roster changes.

I am the Liquor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2009, 03:26 PM
I am the Liquor

Sounds like the players aren't too happy about the public scoldings.

Old
11-22-2009, 03:30 PM
Kyle McMahon

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Didnt help last year. Is Moreau one of the leaders? Who is going to listen to that guy? We need roster changes.
There is one important difference this year, in the form of Quinn. Maybe the meeting involved Moreau doing the honorable thing and handing the "C" over to Souray and then announcing he was retiring from hockey.

Kyle McMahon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2009, 03:32 PM
oilersnyc

I don't think it can do anything but help at this point. I actually thought we'd hear about the players having a closed door meeting at some point soon - I'm just glad this one involved everyone.

Was this necessary? Absolutely
Will it help? TBD

oilersnyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2009, 03:35 PM
RKD

The highlight of Quinn's post-game comments last night focused on changing the culture on this team. What has been acceptable over the past few years cannot be acceptable today. He looked at the Hawks and praised them for the way they were able to change their culture.

That usually requires more than just on-ice practice. It requires commitment from everyone in the dressing room so that they can become that unit when they do step on the ice.

It can do nothing but good.

11-22-2009, 03:35 PM
MePutPuckInNet

I'd like to see each of these veteran guys matched up with one or two of the younger players and really have them work together on and off the ice for a while. Making the youngsters shadow the vets on the team might help everyone to become more accountable to each other.

I think it'd do the vets some good if they have a specific player they're kind of "in charge" of for some personal one on one mentorship. Kind of like a "Big Brother" program.

Old
11-22-2009, 03:38 PM
OntOilFan

Please, please, please strip Moreau.

OntOilFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2009, 03:39 PM
awesomo
HARD!

hope he addresses the heart of some of these players...

i mean Sully got ripped yesterday on CBC, and i thought exactly the same when that one play occurred. He bailed, and that is unacceptable.

awesomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2009, 03:48 PM
Joseppi

vCash: 131
Pat Quinn understands this team.

Communication is nothing but a good thing in this regard. I'm looking forward to the game tomorrow night

Joseppi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2009, 03:50 PM
SlowFreshOil*

Quote:
Originally Posted by awesomo View Post
hope he addresses the heart of some of these players...

i mean Sully got ripped yesterday on CBC, and i thought exactly the same when that one play occurred. He bailed, and that is unacceptable.
He was an embarrassment to the crest last night.

SlowFreshOil* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2009, 03:58 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Horcoff:

Quote:
"We were in there for a while, so we went over probably everything imaginable you can think of," Horcoff said shortly after leaving the meeting. "It's a good thing to do, for us to vent. He vented on us about some things that we needed to hear and we let him know what we're seeing also.

"It works back and forth, and I think it's nice to have that. It's nice to have an open philosophy. We're all professionals in here.
I read the above and can't help but think entitlement is automatic with this bunch.
As if they're made men in the NHL and you treat us nice or we'll have things to vent about because we're "professionals".

jebus "professional" infers that you are reliable and get the job done. These pro's on the Oilers haven't earned jack squat. Certainly not the right to question things and have significant input.

Its time for the players here for once to listen to instruction and apply it. Not to feel hard done by..

What in hell would the players be venting about?

Part of the problem here with this bunch is that losing simply requires less effort and dedication than winning. Losing once *obtained* becomes the easiest path of least resistance. If you have a team that have accepted that losing is OK and are prepared to voice any continual excuse for it its tough to overcome.

When I first looked at this thread I thought it was a players only meeting and that they would be going over a fresh list of excuses.

It was actually my first thought. Cynical but....

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2009, 04:02 PM
I am the Liquor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Horcoff:

I read the above and can't help but think entitlement is automatic with this bunch.
As if they're made men in the NHL and you treat us nice or we'll have things to vent about because we're "professionals".

jebus "professional" infers that you are reliable and get the job done. These pro's on the Oilers haven't earned jack squat. Certainly not the right to question things and have significant input.

Its time for the players here for once to listen to instruction and apply it. Not to feel hard done by..

Part of the problem here with this bunch is that losing simply requires less effort and dedication than winning. Losing once *obtained* becomes the easiest path of least resistance. If you have a team that have accepted that losing is OK and are prepared to voice any continual excuse for it its tough to overcome.

When I first looked at this thread I thought it was a players only meeting and that they would be going over a fresh list of excuses.

That is how I read it as well. Push back by the veteran players. What a joke. They have earned nothing. Except the tag perennial loser.

Old
11-22-2009, 04:06 PM
Gret99zky
Worst Thread Ever

Quote:

Great post.

I agree with this. It's just easier to lose. There's no consequences for lackluster play.

And what better group to teach the young guys this "culture" than the vets.

Gret99zky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2009, 04:07 PM
MePutPuckInNet

Well, I think if you listen to the audio from Shawn Horcoff, it sounds a little different than it reads.

Old
11-22-2009, 04:08 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
That is how I read it as well. Push back by the veteran players. What a joke. They have earned nothing. Except the tag perennial loser.
Yep. Almost defending their right to lose. After all they can give expert "professional" feedback on that.

"But coach, this is how you expend least effort and milk every excuse. Why make our lives harder? We're just so tired and busy and don't have the time or strength to get better. What can we use as an excuse next?"

Either Quinn teaches this bunch a collective work ethic or they teach him how to wile away the rest of the season.

Old
11-22-2009, 04:08 PM
OntOilFan

Quote:
Horcoff:

Good post.

I think you're quite right. The Oilers, as a team, have chosen losing.

OntOilFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2009, 04:09 PM
RKD

Replacement, what's wrong with the sentence that followed the one you bolded?

Quote:
He vented on us about some things that we needed to hear and we let him know what we're seeing also.
Since when should a team meeting be a one-way street? The coaching staff is going to tell them things and the players should be able to contribute as well.

Sounds like the venting was done by the coaching staff.

RKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2009, 04:10 PM
GMofOilers

Im with Replacement on this one. Veterns venting......uhg!

Edit:
I can only imagine the vets and venting on the kids. Remember last years vet and kids not getting alone. I would imagine its all to familiar.

Last edited by GMofOilers: 11-22-2009 at 04:16 PM.
GMofOilers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2009, 04:11 PM
RKD

Sorry, I find this hilarious. The Oilers have a 90-minute meeting with the guys wearing letters and the common response is, "this team has chosen to lose."

Wow.

We have no idea what was said in that room today, but apparently some have it entirely figured out by selecting one quoted sentence from Shawn Horcoff.

Old
11-22-2009, 04:17 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Ryan- View Post
Replacement, what's wrong with the sentence that followed the one you bolded?

Since when should a team meeting be a one-way street? The coaching staff is going to tell them things and the players should be able to contribute as well.

Sounds like the venting was done by the coaching staff.
With all due respect have you been in the work force very long? When an org is chronically faltering and production, morale, attitude, have been abysmal for years and then the company hires a "ringer" to "readjust" the company attitude you shouldn't be expecting pleasantry and a wine and cheese meeting.

This kind of strip the paint off walls meeting is usually one way. Its basically what Quinn was hired here to do.

The players lost the right to have much input through their missing the playoffs 3 years in a row. Quinn actually states this. That the players, (he stops just short of calling them losers) haven't figured out how to win and don't know how.

Old
11-22-2009, 04:23 PM
I am the Liquor

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Ryan- View Post
Sorry, I find this hilarious. The Oilers have a 90-minute meeting with the guys wearing letters and the common response is, "this team has chosen to lose."

Wow.

We have no idea what was said in that room today, but apparently some have it entirely figured out by selecting one quoted sentence from Shawn Horcoff.
I disagree. What could this group of losers possibly have to vent about? Unless it is their perception of unfair treatment in the media by the coach? They havent earned the right to be heard. They sent one coach packing and now they are supposed to tell the new coach how it is? It is time for them to **** and listen and learn and show something. Let their actions speak for them. Otherwise no one wants to hear what this group of cads has to say including someone who has seen it all backwards and forwards like Quinn has. What could these underachievers really have to say to him?

Old
11-22-2009, 04:30 PM
Real_Estate-Agent

Quote:
"We were in there for a while, so we went over probably everything imaginable you can think of," Horcoff said shortly after leaving the meeting. "It's a good thing to do, for us to vent. He vented on us about some things that we needed to hear and we let him know what we're seeing also"
This sounds great to me...

Quinn will quickly figure out which players are leaders - and which ones are ring leaders.......

Real_Estate-Agent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2009, 04:34 PM
RKD

Quote:
With all due respect have you been in the work force very long? When an org is chronically faltering and production, morale, attitude, have been abysmal for years and then the company hires a "ringer" to "readjust" the company attitude you shouldn't be expecting pleasantry and a wine and cheese meeting.

This kind of strip the paint off walls meeting is usually one way. Its basically what Quinn was hired here to do.

The players lost the right to have much input through their missing the playoffs 3 years in a row. Quinn actually states this. That the players, (he stops just short of calling them losers) haven't figured out how to win and don't know how.
I'm not currently in the workforce at all. I'm still in school.

But Replacement, I know you like to preface your posts by citing my (and others') ages as a way of formulating an opinion on the current state of this team. Because I wasn't able to witness the glory days, I have a lesser grasp on what's considered good.

I've called you on that before.

Now you're asking me about being in the workforce. I find that irrelevant.

So I'm going to ask you something. Although I'm not a professional, I did play a high level of hockey and I know what goes on during successful team meetings (at least from my experience).

So with all due respect, how many team meetings have you been involved in?

I remember a few years ago when our team went through a stretch of 6-straight losses. We were playing crappy hockey, my play sucked, and I was wearing the C at the time.

For about 45 minutes, our coaches "vented" to us about our play. But it wasn't a session of pure criticism either; they spoke to us about what we've been doing wrong and how to productively correct these issues on the ice. They instilled a sense of openness in that room that allowed us to more objectively see what was going wrong with our game.

After that speech, the coaches opened the floor. Whether it was because I was the captain or not, they asked me to speak. I found myself going on for nearly 30 minutes about how the issues that surrounded the team - but most importantly, I was able to give them an objective view of how I saw my own game. Knowing that there were endless issues with our game, I dissected my own play and began to realize what I was doing wrong out there (which was a lot of things at that time).

Following that, we began to talk as a team. We spoke to each other about what we expected from each other, and ourselves. Generally speaking, the harder each individual worked, the easier it was to rely on your teammates and play as a unit out on the ice.

Bu the point I'm trying to make is that the coaches instilled that open floor and allowed everyone to contribute and add what they felt needed to be said. Everyone expressed their opinion and we left the meeting feeling that we accomplished something; we felt like more of a team.

So without knowing what was said in that meeting, how can we formulate any kind of opinion based on a single quote from Horcoff. Frankly, I'd have a huge issue if the coaching staff went into that room this morning and blasted the guys for 90 minutes. How are you supposed to establish a team when it's a one-way street of communication?

I know what Quinn said. But you also have to keep in mind what Renney said a few days ago - something about Quinn not letting anyone on this team off the hook. The accountability is through the roof, from what we can attain from various media reports and the associate coach's opinion.

There's no way Shawn Horcoff enters that room and vents to anyone. He's just as much part of the problem, and it would be foolish to think the coaching staff doesn't understand this. Other than Dustin Penner, there really isn't anyone who isn't part of the problem right now.