HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

"Sunday Huddle" Oil Leaders team meeting

Old
11-22-2009, 08:20 PM
Replacement
Now 11.5% more Zen

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davalicious View Post
We have leaders? News to me.
This post was going to happen sometime in this thread

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2009, 08:24 PM
Replacement
Now 11.5% more Zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by MePutPuckInNet View Post
"I'm not trying to be a smart-a $ $, but I don't know who Mike 'Milberry' is"

Priceless!
Better that you don't know.

He's the kind of guy that would send Sully packing for one mistake.

A mistake that was also compounded by a lack of good puck support in a game in which the accompanying players had given up any ghost of the gameplan and were in full on panic mode.

Yeah, single out one player..

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2009, 08:46 PM
Homesick

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Human Torch View Post
Dammit, cheering for the Oilers is like being in an abusive relationship.
Can I get an amen!!!!

Homesick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2009, 08:53 PM
DangerMan
@danlizee

If I was a younger Oiler player I don't know how I would be able to take a veteran player not named Souray seriously. That being said, the younger players have to find a way to make themselves useful, even if they aren't put into a desired role.

DangerMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2009, 09:14 PM
Shizuka

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAlexander View Post
You know what, you're right. I gladly accede to your clearly superior knowledge of the professional athlete and what they require. If you don't already work for the Oilers, why aren't you offering your services and knowledge to them? Please do, as I am sure us lowly fans would love to see an improvement in consistency and effort, sincerely.

In the meantime, the rest of us unenlightened grey masses will continue to ruminate and analyze / criticize / occasionally praise, as is our nature to do, as fans. I know, I know...it's impossible to understand the psyche of the professional athlete, being mere followers, but...we'll keep trying. I mean, if that's ok with you.

Shizuka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2009, 09:21 PM
elpol
Re-Registered User

Corporations generally don't have fans... there's an elemental difference.

I choose to view this little event as a:

wait for it...

Press Release!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"See fans? We're doin' something to fix it. Really we are. This is good, and you all should believe in us."

Corporations do this too. And sometimes we don't believe them either.

Judgement should be reserved until we fans get to see where the chips may fall. (imo)

elpol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2009, 09:30 PM
oilerfanatic

having a meeting is good and all and probably increases the bond between the players and the coaches which is always the positive.

but it won't provide the players with added hockey IQ or increased toughness or any talent.

we are what we are and meetings won't change that.

oilerfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2009, 09:43 PM
Kyle McMahon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadeddog View Post
this post for the win.... QFT!... +1.... and whatever other "internet language" that implies that i agree 100% with this post

the current players on the oilers are losers and have earned nothing (other than mostly undeserved paychecks)... they have not earned the right for "2 way" communication... they have not earned the right to "voice their opinion"... they are *not* professionals in any way other than the paycheck they take home - they are certainly not anybodys idea of what professional hockey players are supposed to be

quinn was hired to change the culture of this team, and the veterans think they deserve some input? wow... that says volumes about what the real problem is with this team (hint: it wasn't mactavish)

if a CEO is hired in a company to change the culture, generally the process is not pleasant.... why would it be different for the oilers organization? other than the veterans misplaced sense of entitlement
Who do you suppose allowed this toxic culture to arise in the first place? The general concensus in this thread is that the "leadership" shown by the core veterans who've been here the longest (Moreau, Horcoff, and Staios) is insufficient and they've developed a sense of entitlement. Is it any coincidence that it was those three who, no matter how lacklustre or undisciplined they played, were always immune to any kind of criticism from the previous coach? Meanwhile others like Penner, Nilsson, and Smid were benched and/or publicly chastized for every mistake they made.

Quinn doesn't play favorites like MacT did, and this has changed things for certian players. Quinn is also smart enough to figure out what the problem is here, and I have complete faith in his ability to correct it. If we can tread water for a while, and get our team healthy, we will be in good shape later in the season once Quinn has coached the "MacT" out of these guys. Old habits die hard. Last night's game aside, this team is already playing much better than they did last year.

Kyle McMahon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2009, 10:39 PM
bOILing point

Last year it was words like "jam" and "compete level". Now we are ripping of words like "culture" from Quinn. Maybe since we are all experts we could make up our own words and not steal from classic literaries like Pierre Mcquack and Quinn. I hate it when people watch a press conference and consider themselves an expert.
I do it too.
Does anyone else here think like i do that maybe we are just not very good?That we always draft in the middle and we draft really small or really slow?(eberle,plante)
We NEVER commit to a proper rebuild, trade a hemsky and stop signing 40 yr old goalies to 4 yr contracts. Go one way or the other, the market and the unwillingness of high end talent to come to Edmonton dictates to me that we strip it down properly and get a few lottery picks. Im willing to wait, if its done right.

bOILing point is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2009, 10:59 PM
Bryanbryoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Yep.

Very well stated too. We're definitely seeing this the same way.

Its interesting though that more and more Quinn says things to this group of players that I would want said to them...

Its gotten so quite a few fans enjoy looking at the postgame interviews about as much as watching the on ice performances.
Quinn is doing what has needed to be done for years, tear into these guys and try to rebuild them from the ground up. IMO part of this was due to the complacency of the former staff and yes the team. These guys deserve to be ripped on, none of them seem to want to improve as players minus a select small handful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bOILing point View Post
Last year it was words like "jam" and "compete level". Now we are ripping of words like "culture" from Quinn. Maybe since we are all experts we could make up our own words and not steal from classic literaries like Pierre Mcquack and Quinn. I hate it when people watch a press conference and consider themselves an expert.
I do it too.
Does anyone else here think like i do that maybe we are just not very good?That we always draft in the middle and we draft really small or really slow?(eberle,plante)
We NEVER commit to a proper rebuild, trade a hemsky and stop signing 40 yr old goalies to 4 yr contracts. Go one way or the other, the market and the unwillingness of high end talent to come to Edmonton dictates to me that we strip it down properly and get a few lottery picks. Im willing to wait, if its done right.
I agree this team needs to figure out what it is that they are trying to accomplish. If we start tanking this year and become buyers at the deadline I will be very disgusted with our GM.

Bryanbryoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2009, 11:27 PM
I am the Liquor
finger sniffer

vCash: 1271
Quote:
Originally Posted by elpol View Post
Corporations generally don't have fans... there's an elemental difference.

I choose to view this little event as a:

wait for it...

Press Release!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"See fans? We're doin' something to fix it. Really we are. This is good, and you all should believe in us."

Corporations do this too. And sometimes we don't believe them either.

Judgement should be reserved until we fans get to see where the chips may fall. (imo)
You got me going now.

Now I wont get a lick of sleep.

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2009, 11:32 PM
oilersrule14

Quote:
Moores was coaching a perenial championship team with a great attitude that WANTED to win.

Thats a big difference in example.

I don't doubt with players that have shown value you allow them their input. On this club right now guys like Vish, Khabi, Sully, Penner, even Smid have earned input. Most of the others have struggled and should be doing most of the listening. We saw how well vet leadership and direction worked on this team previously.
A lot of these players have shown utter confusion on the ice and seem to have more questions than answers. As such they should be listening more than talking.

At this point.
And Clouston with his underachieving Senators?

All these players at some point in time have shown value. Just because they aren't showing it now that means they've lost their ability to make valuable input? No, can't agree with you there, just because a player is having difficulty on the ice doesn't mean he lacks valuable input in some other form.

Should they be listening more than talking? Yes, and most probably they were. Like you say at this point, look at their record, it's only logical there was more listening than talking and there aren't any quotes to suggest otherwise. Just that they were able to do some talking too, nothing wrong with that.

oilersrule14 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2009, 11:54 PM
Bergeron47

vCash: 966
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gret99zky View Post
Wow! Waive the captain?

That would take an absolute steel set of balls to do. Seriously.

Likely won't happen but I like the aggressiveness of the idea.

Good take.
Flames did it with Dave Lowry a few years ago.

Not saying it has to do with this, but boy did their franchise improve around that time..

Bergeron47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2009, 11:55 PM
nullterm

vCash: 800
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilerfanatic View Post
having a meeting is good and all and probably increases the bond between the players and the coaches which is always the positive.

but it won't provide the players with added hockey IQ or increased toughness or any talent.

we are what we are and meetings won't change that.
No, but it is usually one of the first steps towards a course correction. Get everyone in a room together talking and let them know where the ship is headed compared to where it is.

Then you start things in motion. If somewhere along the way there are stumbling blocks or people not falling in line with the program that was laid out to/with them then it gets delt with.

What we're seeing is hopefully a sign that the coaches are very serious about where they want to go, and although they will work with the players to achieve this, you are on board or not.

There may be a few toes stepped on in the process, but everyone will be better for it in the long run.

How things actually work out, we will see. But it sounds like the gears are turning.

nullterm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2009, 12:10 AM
harpoon
FOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giant Moo View Post
Horcoff's language of entitlement is another negative intangible to add to the list.
And this is exactly why Replacement is right in his earlier comments and Ryan ( well-intentioned optimist that he is ) is wrong to say " its just one sentence " . It's not just one sentence . Its more of the same old same old when it comes to interviews for Horcoff and Moreau . All we've heard for years from these two leaders on the team is excuse after excuse . Worst leadership in the whole NHL .

Why are they waiting so long to change the captain , that's what I want to know . The Stars are a very recent example of a team that moved that C to a younger player . Who knows how high Moreau's opinion of himself actually is , but I bet even he isn't deluded enough to think he's more entitled than Modano .

harpoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2009, 12:36 AM
elpol
Re-Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
You got me going now.

Now I wont get a lick of sleep.
You can run...

Old
11-23-2009, 12:46 AM
Joseppi

vCash: 131
Quote:
Yep.

Very well stated too. We're definitely seeing this the same way.

Its interesting though that more and more Quinn says things to this group of players that I would want said to them...

Its gotten so quite a few fans enjoy looking at the postgame interviews about as much as watching the on ice performances.
This is hard for me to say but I aggg.....aggggh.......agggree with you on that.

Joseppi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2009, 12:56 AM
elpol
Re-Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bOILing point View Post
I do it too.
Good post. Though I might argue that the team's drafting has improved somewhat over the past couple of years, we're still without that 'homerun' pick in the system. (and yes, I know I stand to take some abuse for not giving Eberle or MPS 'respect'.)

Old
11-23-2009, 01:03 AM
theranfordflop

Horcoff acknowledged that they needed to hear some negative things. He said this literally in the paragraph right after the "venting" paragraph of the article. You know... The paragraph that you guys are completely ignoring so you can have your little "wah wah so entitled" hissy fit?

I'm no Horcoff fan, but everything about this meeting from a practical standpoint is positive and reasonable.

But leave it to HFBoards to find some tiny quote and go apepoops over it.

theranfordflop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2009, 01:31 AM
nullterm

vCash: 800
Quote:
Originally Posted by theranfordflop View Post
Horcoff acknowledged that they needed to hear some negative things. He said this literally in the paragraph right after the "venting" paragraph of the article. You know... The paragraph that you guys are completely ignoring so you can have your little "wah wah so entitled" hissy fit?

I'm no Horcoff fan, but everything about this meeting from a practical standpoint is positive and reasonable.

But leave it to HFBoards to find some tiny quote and go apepoops over it.
He's a target of many, many fans. So reading those few words about players venting is all they need to see. And hey, it's their right to their opinion. But from the video interview, sounds more balanced discussion, my opinion.

Sounds like a two way discussion with Quinn/Renney leading the charge, without being shy about pointing out the negatives that are happening, which Quinn has talked about to the media, but probably alot deeper behind closed doors. Which in my opinion is what the team, as a whole, needs. And it starts with the vets.

Khabi also said that the coaches said what they thought, and the players said what they thought "to become a better team."

Last edited by nullterm: 11-23-2009 at 01:37 AM.
nullterm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2009, 06:51 AM
MePutPuckInNet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narnia View Post
Milbury used to be GM of the Islanders and he basically got fleeced in every trade he made.
Yes, I'm well aware. I wasn't asking, I was quoting an e-mail I received from a certain person who shall remain nameless....

MePutPuckInNet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2009, 06:59 AM
Digger12
Gold Fever

As for that "culture", it would appear that Moreau feels it's a red herring issue.

From Ireland's article today:

Quote:
Among the topics on the table, from the players’ point of view, was the “culture of the team,” which has been questioned again, just as it was when Craig MacTavish made his last speech as the Oilers’ head coach.

“That’s frustrating for guys who take a lot of pride in playing the game and for this organization. It’s unfortunate that it’s a bit of an easy way out. It always comes back to that, without addressing the problems we have,” said Moreau.

Digger12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2009, 08:40 AM
sync
BECAUSE...REASONS!!!

another reason moreau should be out the door ASAP.

who does this guy think he is? if he's not buying in 100% then what is the point of doing any of this?

Last edited by sync: 11-23-2009 at 08:47 AM.
sync is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2009, 08:56 AM
CupofOil
Bob The Builder

I haven't read through this whole thread so i don't know what you guys think, but i'm personally sick of hearing lip service about meetings, we're addressing this we're addressing that etc. We've heard this song in the past and it's always the same product on the ice, it's time to shut up and start playing hockey like men..... Also, if i'm reading it correctly, did Horcoff say that the players had to vent? Are they venting about being called out in public? If that's the case, then there needs to be a serious leadership overhaul (like we didn't know that already).
Instead of *****ing about being called out, then maybe they should take Quinn's criticisms and apply it towards showing more effort on the ice instead of complaining, where's the accountability?...... I'm so frustrated because they had a chance to make a statement on home ice against a Stanley Cup contender to show that they can compete with the best and that maybe this mini turnaround that they had recently could be for real, instead they show very little to no effort and play like a bunch of girls playing against men, look at Chicago, thay play hard every shift and beat teams to loose pucks consistently, they play hungry no matter the score or opponent and the sad thing is that they have very few veterans, that is mostly a team of early to mid 20s young men as opposed to the Oilers who have enough "vets" on the team to know better...... I've been backing this team saying that the injuries and flu derailed an otherwise promising early start and that they were starting to get their mojo back but this game left a major sour taste in my mouth and now the vets have to vent, oh boy.....How about the "vets" teach by example with their play on the ice as opposed to talking about what it takes, that would be a nice change.

Last edited by CupofOil: 11-23-2009 at 09:04 AM.
CupofOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2009, 09:03 AM
frag2

Quote:
Originally Posted by CupofOil View Post
I haven't read through this whole thread so i don't know what you guys think, but i'm personally sick of hearing lip service about meetings, we're addressing this we're addressing that etc. We've heard this song in the past and it's always the same product on the ice, it's time to shut up and start playing hockey like men..... Also, if i'm reading it correctly, did Horcoff say that the players had to vent? Are they venting about being called out in public? If that's the case, then there needs to be a serious leadership overhaul (like we didn't know that already).
Instead of *****ing about being called out, then maybe they should take Quinn's criticisms and apply it towards showing more effort on the ice instead of complaining, where's the accountability?...... I'm so frustrated because they had a chance to make a statement on home ice against a Stanley Cup contender to show that they can compete with the best and that maybe this mini turnaround that they had recently could be for real, instead they show very little to no effort and play like a bunch of girls playing against men, look at Chicago, thay play hard every shift and beat teams to loose pucks consistently, they play hungry no matter the score or opponent and the sad thing is that they have very few veterans, that is mostly a team of early to mid 20s young men as opposed to the Oilers who have enough "vets" on the team to know better...... I've been backing this team saying that the injuries and flu derailed an otherwise promising early start and that they were starting to get their mojo back but this game left a major sour taste in my mouth and now the vets have to vent, oh boy.....
Ever notice that its usually the fringe players or the rookies on the team that attempt to give some semblance of effort during play? May not be the most successfull [the Reddox, Jacques, Gagner, Stone-ish players] The veterans [Gilbert among one of them] are the ones with set contracts-what have they got to lose other than some ice time. For some reason, it seems like Cogliano also fits with the latter group despite being a part of that "rookie core"...something just reeks of arrogance from the guy.

frag2 is online now   Reply With Quote