HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

BBC News last night

Closed Thread

Old
04-14-2004, 12:11 PM
HF2002

vCash: 500
BBC News last night

Did anyone catch it last night? It was the late edition, and there was an interesting lead in to the antics of the Sens fans. I was shocked! Anyway, I'll try to paraphrase what they said.

(coming back from commercial)

"In other news, a serious and troubling story out of Ottawa. It seems that a hockey series has made some fans go a little overboard with their spirit. Nigel?"

"Thanks Mary. Yes, a playoff series between the Ottawa Senators and the Toronto Maple Leafs of the NHL has reached a boiling point in the hatred between the fans. The best of 7 series has the Maple Leafs ahead 2-1, but it has seen its share of disgusting antics from Senators fans that might make even the Millwall faithful cringe."

"Apparently, some restaurants in Ottawa have taken to taping the logo of the hated Toronto team to the floor. In an odd twist, instead of stepping over them, the fans are expected to step on the logo. And, not stopping there, some fans have even resorted to booing the captain of the Toronto team, apparently for no reason at all."

"Interesting Nigel. Now, is this normal? I mean we hear stories that hockey is nothing but a gentle sport."

"Quite the opposite Mary. Hockey is actually known for its fist fights during the game. While this is incomprehensible to any sport outside of boxing, and we certainly would never think of Canadians as barbarians in any way, there's even more to this story."

"It seems that some of these antics, and others, have shown that in recent polls across the EU, we have seen a drop in the popularity of Canadian citizens. When asked why, most people answered that they think it's disgusting that fans would actually carry a cloth effigy of any player and hit it with a crickett bat."

"Wow. That's interesting Nigel. I guess you could say that the term "fans" really is short for "fanatic".

"Indeed, Mary. Indeed."

Old
04-14-2004, 12:13 PM
WildWestSen

:lol Hilarious. :lol

Old
04-14-2004, 12:45 PM
Spezza

I appologise on behalf of my Country

Old
04-14-2004, 12:46 PM
The King of Town

is this for real??? or a joke????

Old
04-14-2004, 12:51 PM
Dar

Send a message via MSN to Dar
Quote:
Originally Posted by eightyseven
is this for real??? or a joke????
Bit of both I think. I can't believe they'd comment on the type of game hockey is (the "Quite the contrary..." comment). Hockey has become quite popluar there (at least I know that in Belfast it has) with the SuperLeague. So it's hard to fathom a reporter trying to explain the sport to someone who paints it as a "gentle sport" without some sort of sarcasm intended.

Old
04-14-2004, 01:43 PM
ZombieMatt

Hahhaa, that's really, really, funny.

Good luck to the Sens tonight.

Old
04-14-2004, 03:13 PM
Poikilitic

Its funnier when you read it with a British accent.

Old
04-14-2004, 03:34 PM
joepeps

ahha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fulcrum
Its funnier when you read it with a British accent.

haha Yeah but it is bad when some fans (not all) Give Ottawa a bad name by thowing **** and riping flags out of peoples hands during the game

Old
04-14-2004, 03:48 PM
Sting

Send a message via MSN to Sting
Quote:
Originally Posted by joepeps
haha Yeah but it is bad when some fans (not all) Give Ottawa a bad name by thowing **** and riping flags out of peoples hands during the game
T.O. fans do that a lot at the CC...they created a lot of trouble during the season games...so it goes both ways. I'm just glad we'll likely have mainly Sens fans again tonight.

Closed Thread