HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Team 1260 talking this morning.

Old
11-23-2009, 01:37 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

vCash: 500
Absolutely tanking would be hard to do to guarantee a top 2 pick. As bad as things may seem to us it is a long ways to get right to the bottom.

Reimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2009, 01:39 PM
battlegoon

If wed get down to last place for the draft the lottery would probably be fixed anyways and wed probably finish 5th because the NHL seems to hate Edmonton

battlegoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2009, 01:41 PM
frag2

Quote:
Originally Posted by battlegoon View Post
If wed get down to last place for the draft the lottery would probably be fixed anyways and wed probably finish 5th because the NHL seems to hate Edmonton
GNarnia, is that you?

frag2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2009, 01:42 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by battlegoon View Post
Narnia, why did you create two accounts?

Old
11-23-2009, 01:43 PM
rockinghockey

We will see how we will be doing in the next 10 games and where we will be at that point and time. The only thing is Toronto will do all they can not to be in the bottom 5; when Carolina gets Staal and Ward back they will no longer be in the bottom 5 either. I find it hard to beleive right now that Anaheim is there. They should be a lot better than that.

rockinghockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2009, 01:45 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by frag2 View Post
GNarnia, is that you?
Damn beat me too it.

Anyhow though this team would probably do a ****** job at tanking. Like in '07 if we would ahve lost to Calgary we could have the 5 cent conder in Kane, but no we have his less talented less compete counterpart in Gagner.

Old
11-23-2009, 01:46 PM
AM

Quote:
Tell that to Chicago and Pittsburgh.
Laugh.

You mean the Chicago team that absolutely sucked for 20 years?

And the Pittsburgh team which just about got moved because no one was interested and got lucky and won the Crosby sweepstakes?

I assume your financial managment is two dollars a pop every week right?

AM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2009, 01:47 PM
Petro Points

vCash: 885
A top 5 pick would be sweet ..

MPS, Omark, Nash, Eberle, Gagner, Brule, Smid and Petry = some great young talent
Add in a top 5 2010 pick, Penner, Hemsky, Souray and Visnovsky and we'll have a well balanced team in 2 yrs.

Gilbert, Grebeshkov, Staios, Moreau, Pouliot, Pisani, Horcoff, Cogliano and O'Sullivan are some of the contracts this team can survive without.

in 2 yrs

MPS-Penner-Hemsky
Eberle-Gagner-Omark\Top 5 2010pick?
Jacques-Nash-Brule
xxx-xxx-xx

Smid-Visnovsky
Souray-Petry
xxxx-Chorney\Plante\Peckham

Petro Points is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2009, 01:48 PM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 8345
Quote:
Originally Posted by AM View Post
Laugh.
Ted Leonsis doesnt think its funny. In fact, he tried it your way. Then he dumped Jagr and anyone else of value and got a real team. Which one do you think he prefers?

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2009, 01:52 PM
rockinghockey

Here is where teams fit right now:
Place: Games Played Points
Edmonton 23 21
St. Louis 20 20
Minnesota 22 18
Anaheim 21 17
Carolina 22 15
Toronto 21 14

As you can see we have played more games than anyone else and it is all pretty close.
If we keep going how we are there is no way that we can go into next season without a big shake up.

Old
11-23-2009, 01:55 PM
rockinghockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenzOil View Post
A top 5 pick would be sweet ..

MPS, Omark, Nash, Eberle, Gagner, Brule, Smid and Petry = some great young talent
Add in a top 5 2010 pick, Penner, Hemsky, Souray and Visnovsky and we'll have a well balanced team in 2 yrs.

Gilbert, Grebeshkov, Staios, Moreau, Pouliot, Pisani, Horcoff, Cogliano and O'Sullivan are some of the contracts this team can survive without.

in 2 yrs

MPS-Penner-Hemsky
Eberle-Gagner-Omark\Top 5 2010pick?
Jacques-Nash-Brule
xxx-xxx-xx

Smid-Visnovsky
Souray-Petry
xxxx-Chorney\Plante\Peckham
I think that our team looks a lot better with what you have here than what we have now. The only change is I would have MPS on the 2nd line to give it some size and Eberle on the 1st. Pick up and 4th line centre that can win face offs and player hard would be nice.

Old
11-23-2009, 01:56 PM
Mowzie
Asst. Dishwasher

Quote:
Originally Posted by saskyoil View Post
Always compete. Shed vets on expiring contracts absolutely. Intentionally tank?

Never. City of Champions.
That tag really should have came with an expiration date.

Mowzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2009, 01:59 PM
frag2

Quote:
Originally Posted by AM View Post
Laugh.

You mean the Chicago team that absolutely sucked for 20 years?

And the Pittsburgh team which just about got moved because no one was interested and got lucky and won the Crosby sweepstakes?

I assume your financial managment is two dollars a pop every week right?
Doesn't matter. The fact they sucked long enough, stocked enough 1st overall picks that they are reaping the benefits. Obviously the Oilers wouldn't be in that boat but when a) the team is sucking badly and b) the upcoming draft has 2 players believed to be bonafide stars, what have you got to lose?

frag2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2009, 02:00 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinghockey View Post
Here is where teams fit right now:
Place: Games Played Points
Edmonton 23 21
St. Louis 20 20
Minnesota 22 18
Anaheim 21 17
Carolina 22 15
Toronto 21 14

As you can see we have played more games than anyone else and it is all pretty close.
If we keep going how we are there is no way that we can go into next season without a big shake up.
Nice thanks for the chart. We all know TO sucks, but lets take a closer look at these other teams. Everyone wants to tank for superstars because superstars makes your team better.

Well obviously Anaheims ailments this season prove to be loosing with superstars makes it funner to watch your team?

How about the eastern conference finalists from last season? They have Eric Staal who is no slouch either.

Minny has a pretty solid goalie and a guy named Havlat. St. Louis has a pretty solid team too mixed with veterans and young talent. They have been doing teh tank thing for a few years now and that has gottent hem where?

Everyone can keep listing off the Chicagos, Washingtons and Pittsburgs. But for everyone of those teams there are teams that work the other way.

Only reason I would support tanking this year is because I am intrigued by Taylor Hall. Since the draft is a crap shoot it could have worked out just as well if we got teh 1st overall in '07 and Lowe took Turris.

edit: Also I bet Phoenix was thrilled to tank that one season and grab Wheeler at the number 5 pick as well. Instilling a culture of loosing will attract nothing but laughing and bad jokes.

Old
11-23-2009, 02:01 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mowzie View Post
It did, but since we are in a recession they can't pay to have the signs replaced.

Old
11-23-2009, 02:02 PM
I am the Liquor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mowzie View Post
August 9/88.

Old
11-23-2009, 02:04 PM
Fishy Scales

Quote:
Tell that to Chicago and Pittsburgh.
Wow, two examples in the entire history of the draft, both flukes. I'm convinced. Not.

Fishy Scales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2009, 02:07 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishy Scales View Post
Wow, two examples in the entire history of the draft, both flukes. I'm convinced. Not.
Exactly. I have a feeling that if this past summer they had a draft lottery similar to the one held for the Crosby sweepstakes, somehow Phoenix would have come away with the number one pick this summer.

Old
11-23-2009, 02:11 PM
Petro Points

vCash: 885
Quote:
Ottawa? TB?

Nordiques/Avs? (Sakic, Sundin, Nolan,Lindros)

Petro Points is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2009, 02:12 PM
I am the Liquor

Quote:
Do you have a link? The poster never made any claims other than providing a couple of teams that were successful tank jobs. Do you have some data to back up your claim?

Old
11-23-2009, 02:14 PM
Dabomb

Hell yes I would put up with a bad season for a top 2 or 3 pick. I don't see the Oilers being successful adding any elite level players through free agency.. so the draft is our next best chance. If we can add a top 2 pick.. i'd be dancing down Jasper Ave.

Dabomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2009, 02:31 PM
Live Breathe Hockey

The thing that sucks the most is that after this years draft, it sounds like the next few draft years are to be pretty weak. we missed the peak of franchise potential hockey players that were drafted in the 1st round, most notably top10's for the most part.

the oilers continually goof up with what direction they want to go. at this point, i really don't care if we tank or win, i just want to watch a good hockey game win or lose. almost need a throw back to the 90's when the oil sucked but they were at least playing hard.

i personally agree with some of the other posters, it would be nice to drop some of the veterans and let the youth in the organization fight for jobs, and at least we'll be able to watch our farm team everyday and see if we're getting better or not. the difficult part is, how do you get rid of some of these veterans with massive caps? almost impossible, so it almost needs to just play itself out

i've been complaining to anyone that will listen that the year after our cup run was when we should have been rebuilding. i was complaining before we even made it to the playoffs that if we did make MacT would have received a contract extension and we weren't good enough. and looking back, we weren't good enough, and we caught lightning in a bottle and when it ran out, so did all the players (pronger, spacek, peca, samsonov, etc) its been our downfall in this hockey market that everyone wants the winner now and believes that we are a piece short here or there, and our media, fans, and the GM's of the oilers have believed that too.

we may be a few pieces away, but we're also a few years for those pieces to mature enough to take over this team, and if we were counting on Hemsky to lead us to the promise land, then some of our younger picks (ie gagner) should have been traded for studs that were legit to make another run, we should have mortgaged our farm for a chance, not waste all this cap space re-signing one hit wonders (pisani, horcoff, etc) to absurd contracts which have now handicapped us.

the best thing we can do now, is nothing. Khabi is a great goalie, should never have been signed to Edmonton for his term. This should have been year 1 of an obvious rebuild, last year should have been that year! We need to do more and move more to try and get some more top 10 picks into this system for this year and next. Its time everyone accepts the fact that if we want to be the next CHI, PIT, WSH etc. that we need to do what they did for 5+ years and let the cream of the crop rise to the top.

We don't have any studs to build this team around and haven't had a stud since the 1 year Pronger was here. and the only way we're going to do anything in this league of parity is to get some studs into this system, and its only going to happen via the draft nowadays.

if you read all this, thanks for reading my vent! ha

Live Breathe Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2009, 02:36 PM
OntOilFan

I am down with tanking.

OntOilFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2009, 02:44 PM
Narnia
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to Narnia
Quote:
And here lies why we are always going to be in this vicious cycle of mediocrity. Always drafting mid-rounders that only bring us back to 8-12 position in the WC, 10-18 in the draft.

I'd say if we **** the bed so badly a little closer to halfway through the season, just drop the bomb and tank as low as we can.
FAns won't allow the Oilers to tank. It was in a Power Ranking on CBS a while ago that said this.

11-23-2009, 02:46 PM
I am the Liquor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narnia View Post
FAns won't allow the Oilers to tank. It was in a Power Ranking on CBS a while ago that said this.
Maybe you should start a poll?