HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Team 1260 talking this morning.

Old
11-23-2009, 02:49 PM
Narnia
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Narnia
Quote:
Originally Posted by battlegoon View Post
If wed get down to last place for the draft the lottery would probably be fixed anyways and wed probably finish 5th because the NHL seems to hate Edmonton
Agreed 100%.

11-23-2009, 02:55 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narnia View Post
Agreed 100%.
Why did you respond to your own post? You don't need to cover your multi user accounts.

Reimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2009, 03:39 PM
VincenzosOil

Quote:
Originally Posted by saskyoil View Post
Always compete. Shed vets on expiring contracts absolutely. Intentionally tank?

Never. City of Champions.
Succinctly put. That's a big + 1.

Because it doesn't matter if you win or lose, it's how you play the game.

No, really, compete all the way and make the GM/Coaches earn their pay. Tanking is the easy way out with no guarantee of success.

VincenzosOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2009, 03:55 PM
frag2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narnia View Post
FAns won't allow the Oilers to tank. It was in a Power Ranking on CBS a while ago that said this.
The general "Im an Oilers fan cuz its cool to be an Oilers fan" fan might think so. This is the group that keeps shouting "shoot" when the pass was the better option. A hockey fan that understands the current state of the team well enough knows that a tank might be our saviour. Maybe even a real one to run over the ****** players on the team too

frag2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2009, 03:59 PM
frag2

Quote:
Originally Posted by VincenzosOil View Post
Succinctly put. That's a big + 1.

Because it doesn't matter if you win or lose, it's how you play the game.

No, really, compete all the way and make the GM/Coaches earn their pay. Tanking is the easy way out with no guarantee of success.
I think 3 years is enough evaluation of our team and where it's heading. No clear cut leader to lead [unlike when Pronger was here] them to the promise land. When Moreau is the "leader" and Hemsky is the player you build upon, your team will only be as good as Hemsky is and he's not that good, as much as I hate to say it.

Old
11-23-2009, 04:40 PM
0ilerman
The King

commitment is what we need. there are several options, but we need to stick with one for more than 1 or 2 seasons

0ilerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2009, 04:43 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by frag2 View Post
The general "Im an Oilers fan cuz its cool to be an Oilers fan" fan might think so. This is the group that keeps shouting "shoot" when the pass was the better option. A hockey fan that understands the current state of the team well enough knows that a tank might be our saviour. Maybe even a real one to run over the ****** players on the team too
Problem with this is that the fan you first listed is probably the fan that is more likely to spend their bucks on season tickets. So far this organization has stated with their actions that they are far more concerned with getting your bucks than improving the team.

Reimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2009, 07:01 PM
AM

Quote:
Doesn't matter. The fact they sucked long enough, stocked enough 1st overall picks that they are reaping the benefits. Obviously the Oilers wouldn't be in that boat but when a) the team is sucking badly and b) the upcoming draft has 2 players believed to be bonafide stars, what have you got to lose?
Self respect.

But then again, give unto ceasar and all that.

AM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2009, 07:25 PM
oilerfanatic

tanking is our best option because the alternatives obviously haven't worked..although our drafting is so bad, i'm not sure if our scouting staff could make competent high first round picks (i still don't see anything special about gagner despite the hype on these boards)..

oilerfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2009, 07:32 PM
Cawz

Quote:
Tell that to Chicago and Pittsburgh.
Tell that to St Louis and Phoenix. They've both tanked and didnt pick up anyone to build around. They've both selected higher draft picks than the Oilers ever had and they havent risen above bubble status.

Cawz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2009, 08:00 PM
dashingsilverfox*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cawz View Post
Tell that to St Louis and Phoenix. They've both tanked and didnt pick up anyone to build around. They've both selected higher draft picks than the Oilers ever had and they havent risen above bubble status.
Erik Johnson, Berglund, Oshie and Perron are players to build around.

Hanzal, Michaelik, Mueller?, Boedker, Porter and Turris could all be players.

dashingsilverfox* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2009, 08:39 PM
Cawz

Quote:
Originally Posted by dashingsilverfox View Post

St Louis picked Johnson at #1. Would he be worth tanking a season? Would that appease the fans?

Phoenix picked Turris at #3. Same question.

Tanking isnt the answer, becasue you arent guaranteed to get "that" player that will change things. Those 2 players are good players, but they arent a team-changer like Ovechkin or Crosby or someone like that. You could waste the season and end up with another good player that doesnt make an immediate difference, and youre not really in that much better of a situation.

Edit: OK, did the GDT just disappear?

Cawz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2009, 08:50 PM
Six in O6

Quote:
Tell that to Chicago and Pittsburgh.
How about LA or Ottawa too? Even Toronto. Risk reward is not worth it!

Six in O6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2009, 08:58 PM
OilerNut*

What really needs to change is the way the draft is done. Why should crappy teams always get the best picks? I think there needs to be a limit so you don't have a single team getting a top 3 pick 3 years in a row.

OilerNut* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2009, 09:05 PM
Tad Mikowsky
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by dashingsilverfox View Post

Mueller sure hasn't been impressive.

and if that's the case, we can say that Eberle, MPS, and Lander could all be players.

Tad Mikowsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2009, 09:13 PM
Arpeggio

This team doesn't need to tank any longer than this season. They've got MPS, Eberle, and Omark taking a shot at a roster spot next season. Add Taylor Hall and it's possible that they've got their number one center. Drop Moreau, Pisani, Nilsson, and Staios, sign some gritty big guys for the bottom six, and they're set.

Arpeggio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2009, 10:39 PM
nafrelio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arpeggio View Post
This team doesn't need to tank any longer than this season. They've got MPS, Eberle, and Omark taking a shot at a roster spot next season. Add Taylor Hall and it's possible that they've got their number one center. Drop Moreau, Pisani, Nilsson, and Staios, sign some gritty big guys for the bottom six, and they're set.
I agree. Many of us have been on the dive for top five for a lot of successive years - and we've never got there (Gagner was close to top 5 - but I'm in the camp that doesn't think he's going to be a top liner. Neither is Eberle, IMO). I think MPS and Hemsky are quality top liners. We just need one more from this draft. If we land Hall or Seguin, perhaps even that Russian kid (?) then I for one will be done hoping for another dive.

nafrelio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2009, 10:41 PM
oilersfan11

vCash: 50
This team is going to finish 9th in the west.Bank on it

oilersfan11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2009, 10:48 PM
nafrelio

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilersfan11 View Post
This team is going to finish 9th in the west.Bank on it
I think we can all agree that this is a painful realistic possibility.

nafrelio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2009, 11:05 PM
frag2

Im saying if we don't make the spring dance and we're low enough, just tank that season. Maybe its this season, maybe its next.

Old
11-23-2009, 11:06 PM
Tavaresmagicalplay*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cawz View Post
Erik Johnson and Pietrangelo are going to be pretty good players.

You bring up a good point with Pheonix but remember their young guys are still developing. OEL Turris and Boedker are not in the league.

Tavaresmagicalplay* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2009, 11:31 PM
elpol
Re-Registered User

I think some might just be forgetting that Chicago's turnaround really began with the death of Bill Wirtz, and his son Rocky taking over. Wanna talk about 'changes of culture'? There's one right there for you.

I have an idea. How about simply drafting better, which as we all know, doesn't necessarily mean a higher pick.

An earlier poster made mention of 'lack of plan'? Maybe Lowe did have a 5yr plan and you know, 'best plans waylaid' and all that. My point is that he didn't fight to stick to it very hard. Probably reasons beyond reasons, and us fans are part of the equation. I'd sure love to see a plan.

Tanking/Rebuilding means that there are going to be a lot of fans who are going to chew off their own feet. And to think some of us are over-sensitive now...

elpol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2009, 12:05 AM
AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elpol View Post
I think some might just be forgetting that Chicago's turnaround really began with the death of Bill Wirtz, and his son Rocky taking over. Wanna talk about 'changes of culture'? There's one right there for you.

I have an idea. How about simply drafting better, which as we all know, doesn't necessarily mean a higher pick.

An earlier poster made mention of 'lack of plan'? Maybe Lowe did have a 5yr plan and you know, 'best plans waylaid' and all that. My point is that he didn't fight to stick to it very hard. Probably reasons beyond reasons, and us fans are part of the equation. I'd sure love to see a plan.

Tanking/Rebuilding means that there are going to be a lot of fans who are going to chew off their own feet. And to think some of us are over-sensitive now...
Drafting better?

I cant wait that long, why dont we just start winning all of the games weve been losing.

That would do it.

AM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2009, 12:08 AM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Tanking isn't the answer. Certain veterans on this club have been a big time problem over the past couple of years.

Moonlapse Vertigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2009, 12:12 AM
elpol
Re-Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by AM View Post
Drafting better?

I cant wait that long, why dont we just start winning all of the games weve been losing.

That would do it.
Oh, if were only so simple... Next thing you know UFA's are busting the GM's door down because they want to play here so badly.

elpol is offline   Reply With Quote