HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Higgins top rookie scorer

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-04-2004, 07:50 PM
  #1
montreal
Moderator
Go Habs Go
 
montreal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Country: Sark
Posts: 23,994
vCash: 500
Higgins top rookie scorer

Chris Higgins is the top rookie scorer in the AHL based on points per game of the top 10 scorers. With 2 points today, Higgins moves one point ahead of Perezhogin, but has played in 10 less games. Higgins is 4 points behind 1st overall, but his average of .723 points per game is the highest of the top 10 scorers.

The AHL ends it's season next next weekend, as the Dogs play 2 more games. Higgins most likely won't catch 1st, but it's great to see not only having one prospect in the top scoring, but two. Higgins and Perezhogin have had a truely exceptional rookie season. Congrats to them!

montreal is offline  
Old
04-04-2004, 08:01 PM
  #2
Freaky Habs Fan
Registered User
 
Freaky Habs Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: New-Brunswick
Posts: 9,506
vCash: 500
If they don't satrt in Montreal next year, they will rack-up the point in the AHL. They could be in the top 10 leading scorers(AHL)! But I'm pretty sure we will see Higgins in Montreal...and maybe Perez(if we don't resign Kovalev)

Freaky Habs Fan is offline  
Old
04-04-2004, 08:07 PM
  #3
Marc the Habs Fan
Moderator
Cakes!
 
Marc the Habs Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Longueuil
Country: Canada
Posts: 56,620
vCash: 567
But who are we kidding! They will only be average, marginal or fringe NHLers!

Marc the Habs Fan is offline  
Old
04-04-2004, 08:25 PM
  #4
db23
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 1,272
vCash: 500
Spezza and Cammallari averaged about 1.4 PPG as rookies in the AHL last year. Spezza was a year younger than Higgins and Perzhogin as well. Those numbers in the AHL might translate to a good NHL scorer, but not less than a point a game as a 20 year old. Higgins should make it because he is a good two way player and solidly built, but I'm not that optomistic about Perezhogin.

db23 is offline  
Old
04-04-2004, 08:39 PM
  #5
F. Duchemin
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: St-Hilaire
Country: Canada
Posts: 776
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to F. Duchemin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan
But who are we kidding! They will only be average, marginal or fringe NHLers!
martin st.louis spent lots of time in AHL and he is now winning the art ross.
I dont think we can say they are going to be only average yet...

F. Duchemin is offline  
Old
04-04-2004, 08:43 PM
  #6
Crusher20
Registered User
 
Crusher20's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Montreal
Country: Ecuador
Posts: 4,645
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Crusher20 Send a message via Yahoo to Crusher20
Quote:
Originally Posted by db23
Spezza and Cammallari averaged about 1.4 PPG as rookies in the AHL last year. Spezza was a year younger than Higgins and Perzhogin as well. Those numbers in the AHL might translate to a good NHL scorer, but not less than a point a game as a 20 year old. Higgins should make it because he is a good two way player and solidly built, but I'm not that optomistic about Perezhogin.
you dont know nothing about hockey if you only look at those numbers.. Ryder didnt even score a point per game last year in Hamilton and that was at 22 years old not as a 20 years old rookie...

and yet.. is Ryder a marginal nhl player? damn.. you have to look at the style he plays. Raffi Torres didnt burn the league.. Ribeiro didnt burn the league... you have to be carefull about those numbers they dont translate in the NHL.

Crusher20 is offline  
Old
04-04-2004, 09:00 PM
  #7
didjuicythat
@m_desroches
 
didjuicythat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 5,251
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by F. Duchemin
martin st.louis spent lots of time in AHL and he is now winning the art ross.
I dont think we can say they are going to be only average yet...
Someone should let him know that Marc was being sarcastic.

didjuicythat is offline  
Old
04-04-2004, 09:09 PM
  #8
#44_delivers
Registered User
 
#44_delivers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,009
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiggsFan
Someone should let him know that Marc was being sarcastic.
i dont think he was
anyways good for them higgins is my faivoret prospect; he plays a style of hockey i adore, i have a great feeling about him i think he'll evolve and etch his game alote for a long period of time until he becomes a very valuable nhl'er.

#44_delivers is offline  
Old
04-04-2004, 09:19 PM
  #9
Marc the Habs Fan
Moderator
Cakes!
 
Marc the Habs Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Longueuil
Country: Canada
Posts: 56,620
vCash: 567
Definitely sarcasm.

Marc the Habs Fan is offline  
Old
04-04-2004, 09:23 PM
  #10
#44_delivers
Registered User
 
#44_delivers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,009
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan
Definitely sarcasm.
lol sorry the headshake threw me off

#44_delivers is offline  
Old
04-04-2004, 09:25 PM
  #11
All-Star
Registered User
 
All-Star's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Snake Mountain
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,432
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by db23
Spezza and Cammallari averaged about 1.4 PPG as rookies in the AHL last year. Spezza was a year younger than Higgins and Perzhogin as well. Those numbers in the AHL might translate to a good NHL scorer, but not less than a point a game as a 20 year old. Higgins should make it because he is a good two way player and solidly built, but I'm not that optomistic about Perezhogin.
You always have to piss on everyone's parade, don't you? Who the hell cares what Spezza and Cammallari did in the AHL?

Higgins and Perezhogin had a good rookie season compared to other AHL rookies playing this season; that's what's being celebrated here.

All-Star is offline  
Old
04-04-2004, 09:45 PM
  #12
Habsolument
Registered User
 
Habsolument's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: St-Lambert, Qc
Country: Poland
Posts: 941
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by db23
Spezza and Cammallari averaged about 1.4 PPG as rookies in the AHL last year. Spezza was a year younger than Higgins and Perzhogin as well. Those numbers in the AHL might translate to a good NHL scorer, but not less than a point a game as a 20 year old. Higgins should make it because he is a good two way player and solidly built, but I'm not that optomistic about Perezhogin.
isn't it funny that Higgins and Perezhogin are compared to Spezza. That's a compliment IMO. Spezza will be a superstar in the NHL

Habsolument is offline  
Old
04-04-2004, 11:59 PM
  #13
db23
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 1,272
vCash: 500
The one thing that would lead me to beleive that Higgin's has more upside than I've given him credit for is the fact that he never played many games as an amateur. At Yale and Avon Old Farms, he only averaged about 30 games per season, with a few extra national team appearances. That goes back to when he was 14 or 15 years old. Most prospects his age probably have twice as much game experience, especially against higher levels of competition..

db23 is offline  
Old
04-05-2004, 12:06 AM
  #14
turnbuckle*
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 3,724
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by db23
The one thing that would lead me to beleive that Higgin's has more upside than I've given him credit for is the fact that he never played many games as an amateur. At Yale and Avon Old Farms, he only averaged about 30 games per season, with a few extra national team appearances. That goes back to when he was 14 or 15 years old. Most prospects his age probably have twice as much game experience, especially against higher levels of competition..
That would be the only way to tell - actually watching him play would of course be useless.

turnbuckle* is offline  
Old
04-05-2004, 12:56 AM
  #15
CrAzYNiNe
Registered User
 
CrAzYNiNe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,077
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to CrAzYNiNe
Spezza played North American hockey his whole life, wasn't he playing like in juniors at like 14 or something? Higgins played in NCAA and don't they play 25 games a year? Perezhogin played in Russia no? So in other words they truely had 1st real season of NA american hockey, where Spezza had been playing it for ages. Although thinking they will be better then Spezza is like extreme wishful thinking, and comparing them is kinda unfair. But for true 1st year players, I have to congradulate them.

CrAzYNiNe is offline  
Old
04-05-2004, 01:01 AM
  #16
db23
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 1,272
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnbuckle
That would be the only way to tell - actually watching him play would of course be useless.
Well, if you just looked at a guy like Kovalev, you would probably think he could score 100 points a season without any problem. The fact is that he doesn't, and his ceiling seems to be about 60 points. I've seen Higgins play probably as often as you have. That still does not tell me if he will be a scorer in the NHL. Chad Kilger always looked to me like he should score a lot more than he did. As recently as the beginning of this season, people were saying that Mike Ribeiro was not an NHL player. Even though they had been watching him play for 5 or 6 years.

db23 is offline  
Old
04-05-2004, 11:27 AM
  #17
Maxpac
Registered User
 
Maxpac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: hockey city
Posts: 14,580
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by db23
Well, if you just looked at a guy like Kovalev, you would probably think he could score 100 points a season without any problem. The fact is that he doesn't, and his ceiling seems to be about 60 points. I've seen Higgins play probably as often as you have. That still does not tell me if he will be a scorer in the NHL. Chad Kilger always looked to me like he should score a lot more than he did. As recently as the beginning of this season, people were saying that Mike Ribeiro was not an NHL player. Even though they had been watching him play for 5 or 6 years.
you should be banned if you talk about prospects again, here's my reaction to your analysist.......YOU SUCK! :mad:

man that felt good

Maxpac is offline  
Old
04-05-2004, 12:10 PM
  #18
English Hab
Registered User
 
English Hab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Ma USA & Hornsea UK
Country: England
Posts: 1,075
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to English Hab Send a message via MSN to English Hab
I've said this many times before and will once again say something.... Yes its all well and good, comparing stats from one player to another and saying that because Player A got X amount of points he is a 60 + pts scorer in the NHL, but player B has only got Y amount of points he will not even make it. To be honest it is so hard to judge players, whether we compare them through stats from leagues, teams, games, physical attributes, potential rankings or whatever you can never be assured that a player will or will not turn out as you expected. To be honest we have three great examples - and i'm not trying now to prove points as such. But in Souray, Ryder and Ribiero we had three players who have thrown in exceptional seasons. Now in Pro sports we can't guarantee that next year they will continue this high standard of play (I for one would like to see it happen) but its impossible to say they will. When determining our prospects i think we should look at our system and think were our needs lie and then say well... Yes Higgins is a good 2 way player, he may just fit well on a third line in our organisation. Whether he will be able to hold it down and make it his own for years to come who knows.... All i can say is... each year we should basically wipe the slate clean and say come training camp.. the BEST PLAYER PLAYS IN THAT POSITION!!!! seems pretty obvious to me and then you don't have any extra pressures on players, as its very much a black and white point. If your the best for that job you get it.... Just because Higgins isn't averaging the same point per game as Spezza did, whats to stop him from turning up next year and beating all other competitors and landing a job... And with CJ as head coach lets be honest you can't expect anything to be black and white can you...??? we've seen more surpriseing things...


English Hab is offline  
Old
04-05-2004, 12:15 PM
  #19
Le depisteur
Registered User
 
Le depisteur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Québec
Posts: 3,807
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by db23
Spezza and Cammallari averaged about 1.4 PPG as rookies in the AHL last year. Spezza was a year younger than Higgins and Perzhogin as well. Those numbers in the AHL might translate to a good NHL scorer, but not less than a point a game as a 20 year old. Higgins should make it because he is a good two way player and solidly built, but I'm not that optomistic about Perezhogin.
Jason Spezza
(2002-03 Binghamton Senators - AHL) 43gp 22g 32p 54pts 71pim -> 1.26 pts/gp

Mike CammallEri
(2002-03 Manchester Monarchs - AHL) 13gp 5g 15p 20pts 12pim -> 1.54 pts/gp

(2003-04 Manchester Monarchs - AHL) 37gp 17g 16p 33pts 24 pim -> 0.89 pts/gp


1) Spezza is better than Higgins, it's a fact... but Spezza is a futur superstar, then...

2) But for Cammalleri, it's not a good exemple... He played only 13 games at the same age (but 28 games with the big club)... and this year, it's not the same man...

3) It's the first year for Perezhogin in North-America... and it's also a very good season for him... especially since 2 months...

Le depisteur is offline  
Old
04-05-2004, 12:17 PM
  #20
English Hab
Registered User
 
English Hab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Ma USA & Hornsea UK
Country: England
Posts: 1,075
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to English Hab Send a message via MSN to English Hab
WOW that last post was my 150th... Yippee

And just to kinda finish off my last thread... Congrats to Higgins and Perez.... i think they're great players. They've done a good job in Hamilton and i hope to see one of them... most probably Higgins in the NHl next year... lets let Perez have a swansong season in the AHL and let him get his 1.47 or what ever it was PPG average just to keep certain posters happy!!!!

Once again good job BOYS in hamilton...

English Hab is offline  
Old
04-05-2004, 01:04 PM
  #21
Carbo N8
Registered User
 
Carbo N8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 944
vCash: 500
I think it should be mentioned as well when assessing AK, not all of the current European stars posted huge numbers throughout their pre-NHL careers. I am at work now, so, I can't cite examples, but if you assess some of them by stats only you could draw the conclusion that they would never amount to anything in the NHL.

Why?

With some it's playing time or the line they play on according to the strength of the team overall.

I have a novel idea. Why not enjoy the fact that we have some good prospects & accept the fact that they all won't play for us, but some that we aren't counting on will surprise?

Carbo N8 is offline  
Old
04-05-2004, 08:17 PM
  #22
Fern
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 187
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by db23
Well, if you just looked at a guy like Kovalev, you would probably think he could score 100 points a season without any problem. The fact is that he doesn't, and his ceiling seems to be about 60 points. I've seen Higgins play probably as often as you have. That still does not tell me if he will be a scorer in the NHL. Chad Kilger always looked to me like he should score a lot more than he did. As recently as the beginning of this season, people were saying that Mike Ribeiro was not an NHL player. Even though they had been watching him play for 5 or 6 years.
Just the fact that you say that Kilger looked like he should score A LOT in the NHL proves you don't know anything about hockey. Kilger has hands of stone and always had.

Fern is offline  
Old
04-05-2004, 08:20 PM
  #23
db23
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 1,272
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fern
Just the fact that you say that Kilger looked like he should score A LOT in the NHL proves you don't know anything about hockey. Kilger has hands of stone and always had.
"..should score a lot more than he DID....". Read the message before you respond.

db23 is offline  
Old
04-05-2004, 08:36 PM
  #24
Corey
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 3,300
vCash: 500
Scoring is down all over. Only eight NHL players racked up a point per game. Three players tied for the lead in goals with 41. The Habs had three players who scored 20+ goals, none above 26. Higgins and Perezhogin weren't top 10 picks but they both have the potential to reach 20 goals with the Habs. Add just one more player who can reach 20+ goals without sacrificing defense and you have an improved team.

Corey is offline  
Old
04-06-2004, 01:26 AM
  #25
AJ1982
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: New York
Posts: 1,812
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to AJ1982
Each year scoring in the AHL varies greatly. Last year rookies were putting up a point a game seemingly with ease, this year the best of the best rookies have only put up around a .7 to .8 ppg avg. It really is not a bad reflection on this crop of AHL rookies, it simply is the way the minors work. Each year is difference. I'm still a believer in Higgins, he's got first line potential. nothing he's done this year has gone against that assessment.

AJ1982 is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:29 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2015 All Rights Reserved.