HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

bernie Nicholls Joins Me On The Radio Tonight @ 8 PM

Old
11-23-2009, 11:46 PM
The Mouth

vCash: 500
bernie Nicholls Joins Me On The Radio Tonight @ 8 PM

Bernie played for the Rangers for about two seasons and then was traded for Mark Messier. Nicholls was a fantastic player and he's looking forward to talking to the Ranger fans.

Ranger Crisis.com

The Mouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2009, 12:40 AM
Edge

I always liked Bernie. The Messier deal was a steal, no matter how you slice it, but part of me always wished they'd found a way to land Mess and keep Bernie.

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2009, 05:22 AM
pld459666

vCash: 873

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge View Post
I always liked Bernie. The Messier deal was a steal, no matter how you slice it, but part of me always wished they'd found a way to land Mess and keep Bernie.
that would have been very interesting.

Bernie manning the 2nd center spot would have made the Rangers a tough team to beat.

Would have been nice

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2009, 06:09 AM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Pumper-Nicholl had some issues with Roger Neilson during the 1990-91 season. Bernie was born pigeon toed. It affected his skating. Neil Smith acquired him from LA for Tomas Sandstrom and Tony Granato at the All Star Game in 1990 which was held in Pittsburgh. He played for the West even though he had been traded to the East the previous day. The Rangers later traded Ulf Dahlen to Minnesota for Mike Gartner to give Bernie a winger.When the Rangers traded him to Edmonton,Nicholls didn't report because his wife Heather was having a difficult pregnancy and was confined to her bed. Nicholls did eventually report to Edmonton and was traded to Jersey a year late because he hated playing there. If you look at the tape from game 6 in 1994 against Jersey,Nicholls is talking trash to Mark Messier in a scrum behind the net when the score was 2-0. You can read Messier's lips "**** you".

Bernie was a trash talker. Wasn't a big fan of the LA trade. He was not very good with the Rangers. Too much of a whiner. Roger didn't like him. Good riddance.

The Messier trade was not a trade. Paramount/Gulf and Western sent something like $6-8 million to Edmonton for Messier.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2009, 09:53 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Bernie 5 cents was pretty good when we aquired him, great offense and PP numbers. But he was so worth trading, no regrets

Game 6 in NJ he showed his true colors when he took that shot at the Rangers bench.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2009, 09:58 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Ask him why he fired the puck at the Ranger bench at the end of Game 6 in the 94 ECF.

11-24-2009, 10:26 AM
The Mouth

I asked him about the cheap shot on Kovalev in the 94 semis and he said "I just lost it" he also said on the ice he did "stuff" in the heat of competition that he would never do off the ice. I think he basically had bad temper on the ice.

I will ask him all these questions, including the bench one. They are all good ones. I didn't know about the Neilson stuff either.

Tonight at 8.

The Mouth is offline   Reply With Quote