HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Jean Francois Jacques And Ryan Stone, Chaos On Ice Appreciation Thread

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-24-2009, 02:00 AM
  #1
Bryanbryoil
Moderator
I Know A Thing Or 6
 
Bryanbryoil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: About Winning
Posts: 50,406
vCash: 500
Jean Francois Jacques And Ryan Stone, Chaos On Ice Appreciation Thread

It's been a long time coming but with a new coaching staff in place, physical play being more encouraged, a serious back injury resulting in surgery and a lengthy rehab, and many bus trips in the AHL in no less than 3 AHL cities, the Crazy Train has arrived.

He hasn't contributed offensively in his 2 games since his return, but he has made it a point to bring the pain to every opposing player that he can legally steamroll. A guy that has taken many lumps on HF over the years, Jacques is quickly becoming a key player for the Oilers and a guy that his teammates can draw energy from and also know that he has their backs.

The Crazy Train Rocks!

EDIT-I figured that I may as well add to this thread Ryan Stone along with Jacques as they have created quite the tandem of physical hockey players that completely changes the look of this club.













Ryan Stone









Last edited by Bryanbryoil: 12-12-2009 at 12:59 AM.
Bryanbryoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2009, 02:37 AM
  #2
pancirios
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 364
vCash: 50
When he decapitated Vandermeer todays game I was pleased.

pancirios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2009, 02:43 AM
  #3
40oz
..........
 
40oz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,634
vCash: 500
We need alot more JFJ's right about now.



40oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2009, 02:51 AM
  #4
Mowzie
Asst. Dishwasher
 
Mowzie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Lebanon, Alberta
Country: Lebanon
Posts: 8,270
vCash: 500
Just goes to show you that we shouldn't be so critical about certain guys. We spent how many years adding Jacques in as a throw in to try and get Subway cookies from other teams. Same goes for Brule and it looks like they both might become pretty important building blocks going forward.

Mowzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2009, 02:58 AM
  #5
Bryanbryoil
Moderator
I Know A Thing Or 6
 
Bryanbryoil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: About Winning
Posts: 50,406
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mowzie View Post
Just goes to show you that we shouldn't be so critical about certain guys. We spent how many years adding Jacques in as a throw in to try and get Subway cookies from other teams. Same goes for Brule and it looks like they both might become pretty important building blocks going forward.
Same goes for Stone, he's a smaller version of Jacques in terms of being an energy guy that loves to hit. I've always seen Jacques as this player, it just took time for a number of reasons that I mentioned above. In Springfield, I'd see him sometimes dish our 3 THUNDEROUS hits in a single shift. The guy hits like a Mack Truck and that is an overused analogy, this guy is built as solid as a brick ****house.

Out of the guys in Springfield that have since graduated to the NHL it looks like the only one that I've been really wrong about is Schremp. Jacques, JDD, Pouliot, Brule, Stone, etc. all of these guys have shown their worth with only Pouliot being robbed of an opportunity with a new coaching staff so far.

Bryanbryoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2009, 03:03 AM
  #6
Mowzie
Asst. Dishwasher
 
Mowzie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Lebanon, Alberta
Country: Lebanon
Posts: 8,270
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
Same goes for Stone, he's a smaller version of Jacques in terms of being an energy guy that loves to hit. I've always seen Jacques as this player, it just took time for a number of reasons that I mentioned above. In Springfield, I'd see him sometimes dish our 3 THUNDEROUS hits in a single shift. The guy hits like a Mack Truck and that is an overused analogy, this guy is built as solid as a brick ****house.

Out of the guys in Springfield that have since graduated to the NHL it looks like the only one that I've been really wrong about is Schremp. Jacques, JDD, Pouliot, Brule, Stone, etc. all of these guys have shown their worth with only Pouliot being robbed of an opportunity with a new coaching staff so far.
I didn't mention Stone since he hasn't really been in our organization long enough to be hyped and fall off the map and then crash back on the scene like the others. O'Marra looks to be back on track too which is good because we really need some difference makers in our bottom six that don't make a ton of money.

Mowzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2009, 03:10 AM
  #7
Bryanbryoil
Moderator
I Know A Thing Or 6
 
Bryanbryoil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: About Winning
Posts: 50,406
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mowzie View Post
I didn't mention Stone since he hasn't really been in our organization long enough to be hyped and fall off the map and then crash back on the scene like the others. O'Marra looks to be back on track too which is good because we really need some difference makers in our bottom six that don't make a ton of money.
O'Marra if he pans out would be a guy that I was wrong about as I had pretty well given up on him last season. Stone IMO still gets underrated by many fans on this board, so does Jacques.

Bryanbryoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2009, 03:16 AM
  #8
Mowzie
Asst. Dishwasher
 
Mowzie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Lebanon, Alberta
Country: Lebanon
Posts: 8,270
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
O'Marra if he pans out would be a guy that I was wrong about as I had pretty well given up on him last season. Stone IMO still gets underrated by many fans on this board, so does Jacques.
It will be interesting to see how Stone is used when he comes back. I really think he is the type of player that will get us closer to being a competitive team. Let's not kid ourselves, we are one of the easiest teams to play against on most nights. We are reactive, we are passive and we don't do anything particularly well. Not too many teams have us circled on their calendar. Stone and Jacques are both effective in their roles, and there just aren't enough Oilers who are effective in their roles on a regular basis.

Mowzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2009, 03:21 AM
  #9
Bryanbryoil
Moderator
I Know A Thing Or 6
 
Bryanbryoil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: About Winning
Posts: 50,406
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mowzie View Post
It will be interesting to see how Stone is used when he comes back. I really think he is the type of player that will get us closer to being a competitive team. Let's not kid ourselves, we are one of the easiest teams to play against on most nights. We are reactive, we are passive and we don't do anything particularly well. Not too many teams have us circled on their calendar. Stone and Jacques are both effective in their roles, and there just aren't enough Oilers who are effective in their roles on a regular basis.
Agreed, if Peckham were ready he'd be a great compliment to them on the blueline. Paukovich is a guy that would throw the body a lot as a 4th line C as well if Quinn ever decides to try another bruiser out there.

Bryanbryoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2009, 05:55 AM
  #10
Ragss
Registered User
 
Ragss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 1,525
vCash: 500
I don't make a lot of good calls, but I definately remember for the last two years I've been saying that the Oil definately need to keep giving JFJ a chance.

Ragss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2009, 07:26 AM
  #11
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen
 
Replacement's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Hockey Hell
Country: Canada
Posts: 34,717
vCash: 500
I notice Quinn is starting games with a JFJ shift early to start the bang/crash.

Classic energy player and everybody takes notice. I hope he finds more of his NHL game and can log more minutes. A handful to play against.

You're right BBO and the team as a whole seems to play bigger with JFJ in the lineup.

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2009, 07:33 AM
  #12
Jimmi Jenkins
Yup we've reached it
 
Jimmi Jenkins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 36,916
vCash: 500
This needed to be made, well done BBO, you've been banging the drum for this kid for a while and it's nice to see him succeed.

I give him credit for not only banging bodies and playing very physical, but being able to do so so quickly after coming back from injury. Last year he had back surgery, this year he gets a back injury, but he shows not hesitation in playing the same game he did before he got hurt.

Jimmi Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2009, 08:50 AM
  #13
CupofOil
Fire Lowe
 
CupofOil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Rock Bottom
Country: United States
Posts: 13,237
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
O'Marra if he pans out would be a guy that I was wrong about as I had pretty well given up on him last season. Stone IMO still gets underrated by many fans on this board, so does Jacques.
Agreed completely, it's no coincidence that our slide occurred after Jacques and Stone went down, the 2 smurf and one big guy 4 line system was working great early in the year although i prefer not to have Jacques on the first line, will be interesting to see what lines Quinn rolls out when Stone gets back in the lineup.

CupofOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2009, 09:38 AM
  #14
JBell84
Registered User
 
JBell84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: CGY-body, EDM-spirit
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,675
vCash: 500
An unsung hero this year that is starting to become a lot more sung, as it were.

Deservedly so, he makes it hard to be on the ice and has actually been producing, kudos to him for finally finding his place.

JBell84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2009, 09:52 AM
  #15
copperandblue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 10,724
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
I notice Quinn is starting games with a JFJ shift early to start the bang/crash.

Classic energy player and everybody takes notice. I hope he finds more of his NHL game and can log more minutes. A handful to play against.

You're right BBO and the team as a whole seems to play bigger with JFJ in the lineup.
Even if he doesn't increase his minutes, it's fair to say that it looks like he has figured out a role for himself. Even if it's a lesser role than some of us had hoped or pictured for him.

If last summer someone said that the Oilers could grab Clutterbuck from Minny, I think most people would have been all over it. Jacques, so far, is looking very similar to him. Hopefully he keeps it going.

copperandblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2009, 09:56 AM
  #16
OntOilFan
Registered User
 
OntOilFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,749
vCash: 500
I am a JFJ fan.

OntOilFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2009, 09:59 AM
  #17
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen
 
Replacement's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Hockey Hell
Country: Canada
Posts: 34,717
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by copperandblue View Post
Even if he doesn't increase his minutes, it's fair to say that it looks like he has figured out a role for himself. Even if it's a lesser role than some of us had hoped or pictured for him.

If last summer someone said that the Oilers could grab Clutterbuck from Minny, I think most people would have been all over it. Jacques, so far, is looking very similar to him. Hopefully he keeps it going.
Good point about Clutterbuck and I agree. I think JFJ is a better player but with his injuries and how much he hits(how often would I word that as a problem?) I worry about him in a watching Mike Grier kind of way.
We need him in the lineup. Stay healthy.

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2009, 10:45 AM
  #18
deanmoriarty
Registered User
 
deanmoriarty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: great GOLD north
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,581
vCash: 500
i approve of this thread


deanmoriarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2009, 10:46 AM
  #19
Stoneman89
Registered User
 
Stoneman89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 6,907
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
It's been a long time coming but with a new coaching staff in place, physical play being more encouraged, a serious back injury resulting in surgery and a lengthy rehab, and many bus trips in the AHL in no less than 3 AHL cities, the Crazy Train has arrived.

He hasn't contributed offensively in his 2 games since his return, but he has made it a point to bring the pain to every opposing player that he can legally steamroll. A guy that has taken many lumps on HF over the years, Jacques is quickly becoming a key player for the Oilers and a guy that his teammates can draw energy from and also know that he has their backs.

The Crazy Train Rocks!










Had Jacques not been seriously hurt last year, he definitely would have been on this team last season, old coaching staff or not. It's the way he's always played, and knows he needs to play and to imply that the staff this year is the only one who's ever told him he needs to hit is wrong, I think.

Stoneman89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2009, 04:25 PM
  #20
Bryanbryoil
Moderator
I Know A Thing Or 6
 
Bryanbryoil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: About Winning
Posts: 50,406
vCash: 500
Proof positive that when this guy hits it hurts, it doesn't even seem like all that hard of a hit and O'Donnell takes exception.


Bryanbryoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2009, 06:27 PM
  #21
Rin
Registered User
 
Rin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Northern Alberta
Country: Lebanon
Posts: 12,541
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mowzie View Post
Just goes to show you that we shouldn't be so critical about certain guys. We spent how many years adding Jacques in as a throw in to try and get Subway cookies from other teams. Same goes for Brule and it looks like they both might become pretty important building blocks going forward.

Hmm...this is a toughie. When I worked at Subway, I made the best subway cookies ever!! They were very fantastic.

Rin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2009, 06:33 PM
  #22
Bryanbryoil
Moderator
I Know A Thing Or 6
 
Bryanbryoil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: About Winning
Posts: 50,406
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rin View Post
Hmm...this is a toughie. When I worked at Subway, I made the best subway cookies ever!! They were very fantastic.
Do you make homemade cookies? I heard that Cloned has a soft spot for homemade cookies.

Bryanbryoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2009, 06:39 PM
  #23
Lessy
Registered User
 
Lessy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Sudbury
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,411
vCash: 500
JFJ is the ideal checking line winger. A big body that can skate and consistently bang bodies will be an NHL regular for a long time. The only concern I have is with the back problems but if those hold up he's locked in on the left side of my 3rd/4th line for the foreseeable future.

Lessy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2009, 06:42 PM
  #24
Rin
Registered User
 
Rin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Northern Alberta
Country: Lebanon
Posts: 12,541
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
Do you make homemade cookies? I heard that Cloned has a soft spot for homemade cookies.

I do make homemade cookies. I make all kinds of cookies too, desserts are my specialty. I make a really awesome banana chocolate chip cookie, or a chocolate cookie stuffed with either a rolo (or a caramilk) or a reese's.

Rin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2009, 06:45 PM
  #25
Bryanbryoil
Moderator
I Know A Thing Or 6
 
Bryanbryoil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: About Winning
Posts: 50,406
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rin View Post
I do make homemade cookies. I make all kinds of cookies too, desserts are my specialty. I make a really awesome banana chocolate chip cookie, or a chocolate cookie stuffed with either a rolo (or a caramilk) or a reese's.
Open a chain that sells Donair's and Deserts!

Bryanbryoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:59 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.