HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Current Assessment of Dustin Penner Thus Far...

Old
11-24-2009, 04:04 AM
Dirkph
Mancrush = Malhotra

vCash: 500
Current Assessment of Dustin Penner Thus Far...

Canucks fan coming in peace!

So far, Dustin Penner has been touted to be one of the newest elite power forwards in the league, posting phenomenal numbers so far.

From the few Oilers games I've seen this season, Penner looks dominant with the puck. His puck possession skills seemed almost Bertuzzi-like during his peak.

And finally, it's also almost impossible to ignore how massive he looks besides almost everybody.

It's been 24 games. What is your honest assessment of Dustin Penner thus far? Do you think he'll be able to keep up his incredible pace? How many points do you think he'll finish the season with?

Dirkph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2009, 04:11 AM
Mowzie
Asst. Dishwasher

I think he can. He worked hard in the summer and got in shape. He's been in the league for a while now but is just now starting to understand the game. Every league he's been in, there's been an adjustment period for him.

I think his pace will drop off a little bit, but I think he can turn into an ELITE two-way forward. Even when he was at his worst, he was still a special teams threat and a plus player. There's players who might put up 100 points and be -5 on the year, and other guys who put up 75 points and are +20. I think both are important parts of their teams, and I can see Penner becoming the ladder.

Mowzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2009, 04:18 AM
Dirkph
Mancrush = Malhotra

It appears his defensive game is somewhat impressive. Although many say it is an overrated statistic, Penner is currently fourth place in the league in +/-, right up there with Carle, Pronger, and Parise.

It must also help that his supporting cast has been playing much better this year.

Dirkph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2009, 04:35 AM
Mowzie
Asst. Dishwasher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirkph View Post
It appears his defensive game is somewhat impressive. Although many say it is an overrated statistic, Penner is currently fourth place in the league in +/-, right up there with Carle, Pronger, and Parise.

It must also help that his supporting cast has been playing much better this year.
Not really. This team has stunk it up for the better part of a month, yet he still managed to put up points and be a plus player. Him and Hemsky have had a potpourri of linemates, but looking at +/-, the only other forwards with a plus rating are Moreau (+1) and Cogliano (+2), who have gotten little to no time with them. Long story short, Penner has been stirring the drink this year. The supporting cast have been the melting pieces of ice watering down the drink.

Mowzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2009, 06:31 AM
harpoon
FOB

This thread might help you out . I didn't post in it because I suspect it was started under false pretense . Still , it shows what people are expecting from Penner based on his incredible start . I'll say he finishes somewhere around seventy five points .... just enough to cause Replacement to lose a whole whack of bets on this board .

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=704158

harpoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2009, 06:31 AM
clayton magnet
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mowzie View Post
Not really. This team has stunk it up for the better part of a month, yet he still managed to put up points and be a plus player. Him and Hemsky have had a potpourri of linemates, but looking at +/-, the only other forwards with a plus rating are Moreau (+1) and Cogliano (+2), who have gotten little to no time with them. Long story short, Penner has been stirring the drink this year. The supporting cast have been the melting pieces of ice watering down the drink.
Yeah I have to agree with Mowzie here, Quinn has put Penner on lines that struggle to help them gain confidence. That is what I am most impressed about this year, he would probably have better numbers if he consistently played with a good supporting cast over the entire season. Yet he was generating great chances with any line he was on.

clayton magnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2009, 06:43 AM
Ragss

I think he'll slow a bit, I'd be very happy if he finishes in the low 70's. That being said, so far he has had a strong game pretty much every single outing this season and has shown no signs of slowing.

Ragss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2009, 06:43 AM
Jimmi Jenkins
Tastes like Chicken

vCash: 612
He's been nothing short of outstanding on a nightly basis, and I don't see any reason why he can't keep this up.

Jimmi Jenkins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2009, 06:50 AM
Phaedrus

Quote:
I think he can. He worked hard in the summer and got in shape. He's been in the league for a while now but is just now starting to understand the game. Every league he's been in, there's been an adjustment period for him.

I think his pace will drop off a little bit, but I think he can turn into an ELITE two-way forward. Even when he was at his worst, he was still a special teams threat and a plus player. There's players who might put up 100 points and be -5 on the year, and other guys who put up 75 points and are +20. I think both are important parts of their teams, and I can see Penner becoming the ladder.

A ladder is a vertical or inclined set of rungs or steps.

Latter - being the second mentioned of two (distinguished from former ): I prefer the latter offer to the former one.

I think you meant the Latter.

As to your point, I tend to agree; but, I will wait and see what type of Player Penner turns himself into.

Phaedrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2009, 07:09 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by harpoon View Post
This thread might help you out . I didn't post in it because I suspect it was started under false pretense . Still , it shows what people are expecting from Penner based on his incredible start . I'll say he finishes somewhere around seventy five points .... just enough to cause Replacement to lose a whole whack of bets on this board .

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=704158
heh.

I think Dustin finishes at 65pts. He's still playing great and been the best forward on the club but his pace is slowing down.

After a torrid start to the season with 19pts in his first 13games, Penner has 7pts in his last 11 games. Still going very well and don't get me wrong but I see him trending about 6-7pts/10GP the rest of the way.

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2009, 07:38 AM
The Human Torch

Send a message via MSN to The Human Torch
Penner's the one on the right.

The Human Torch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2009, 08:44 AM
Section337
HFBoards Sponsor

Quick thoughts. Liking his game, though yesterday he seemed slower than for most of the year. They need to get the first PP unit going for his points to creep up higher.

Particularly like that he is carrying the puck through the neutral zone. Since I have always contended that Hemsky is the best when he has a guy that he trusts (Horcoff used to be that guy) to carry it through the neutral zone so that he is not doing it all the time, which makes the times he does that harder to defend.

Section337 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2009, 09:45 AM
Fourier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
heh.

I think Dustin finishes at 65pts. He's still playing great and been the best forward on the club but his pace is slowing down.

After a torrid start to the season with 19pts in his first 13games, Penner has 7pts in his last 11 games. Still going very well and don't get me wrong but I see him trending about 6-7pts/10GP the rest of the way.
I pretty much agree with this call. 65 points from Penner would be a thrill, given his status at the beginning of the year. But he has also contributed outside of his scoring stats. If that keeps up, then this will be a true break-out year.

Fourier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2009, 09:53 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourier View Post
I pretty much agree with this call. 65 points from Penner would be a thrill, given his status at the beginning of the year. But he has also contributed outside of his scoring stats. If that keeps up, then this will be a true break-out year.
I've really been amazed with the turnaround. 20mins/night, good minutes, our best all round forward and responsible in every area of the ice.
This guy is doing everything but tilting the ice. PK, faceoffs, 17EV pts.

He's just been dominant in every capacity.

We're a winning team with him on the ice this year.

Hope he can keep it up.

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2009, 09:54 AM
Petro Points

vCash: 885
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaedrus View Post
A ladder is a vertical or inclined set of rungs or steps.

Latter - being the second mentioned of two (distinguished from former ): I prefer the latter offer to the former one.

I think you meant the Latter.

As to your point, I tend to agree; but, I will wait and see what type of Player Penner turns himself into.
Ladder - Tall, Sturdy, built step by step and helps in reaching new heights..
I think Mowzie got it right

Petro Points is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2009, 10:49 AM
deanmoriarty

Quote:

He's been awesome defensively, works his ass off and uses his size and reach to break up plays. He is a really smart player, great skater, awesome shot, great passer (check that sexy feed for Hemsky's goal last night), and to top it all off he's huge. We're finally seeing why Burke was so pissed about losing him.

deanmoriarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2009, 10:50 AM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
I've really been amazed with the turnaround. 20mins/night, good minutes, our best all round forward and responsible in every area of the ice.
This guy is doing everything but tilting the ice. PK, faceoffs, 17EV pts.

He's just been dominant in every capacity.

We're a winning team with him on the ice this year.

Hope he can keep it up.
You're back in my good graces with this post old friend Potential point totals aside you see him for what he is to this club.

Bryanbryoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2009, 10:51 AM
Stoneman89

Quote:

I hope he can climb enough rungs to get to that elite status..

Stoneman89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2009, 10:55 AM
hockeyaddict101

He hasn't tailed off and in fact he seems to have gotten stronger and more confident.

He may not continue the pace for the points but it certainly seems he is the real deal.

hockeyaddict101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2009, 10:55 AM
Stoneman89

Just shows how a good fitness program, and actually getting in the shape needed to play at this level, will make a guy seem faster, not lazy, and focused and interested in the game. This is all on Penner himself - good for him, and congrats. Just wish his maturation would have occured a couple years ago, but...better late than never.

Stoneman89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2009, 10:58 AM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 8345
Quote:
Canucks fan coming in peace!

So far, Dustin Penner has been touted to be one of the newest elite power forwards in the league, posting phenomenal numbers so far.

From the few Oilers games I've seen this season, Penner looks dominant with the puck. His puck possession skills seemed almost Bertuzzi-like during his peak.

And finally, it's also almost impossible to ignore how massive he looks besides almost everybody.

It's been 24 games. What is your honest assessment of Dustin Penner thus far? Do you think he'll be able to keep up his incredible pace? How many points do you think he'll finish the season with?
He has been our best player. I think that will continue.

I am the Liquor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2009, 11:39 AM
deanmoriarty

I think Penner knew he was thrown into the Heatley deal mostly to balance the cap. Instead of sulking he says **** you guys, i'll show you - and works like a dog to become the teams best player. It's a pretty amazing story and goes to show that Dustin is really a hell of a guy, and any questions about his character and heart from the last couple seasons have gone out the window. He's now a god in hockey's most passionate city. Well done DP

deanmoriarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2009, 11:44 AM
hockeyaddict101

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoognish View Post
I think Penner knew he was thrown into the Heatley deal mostly to balance the cap. Instead of sulking he says **** you guys, i'll show you - and works like a dog to become the teams best player. It's a pretty amazing story and goes to show that Dustin is really a hell of a guy, and any questions about his character and heart from the last couple seasons have gone out the window. He's now a god in hockey's most passionate city. Well done DP
Best rags to riches story in the NHL this season.

hockeyaddict101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2009, 11:48 AM
jfhlbuffy

It's hard to peg what Penner will get.

As Replacement said, he started off unreal, 19 points in 13 games, and has slowed a bit. But to me, there's no reason to say that he won't go through another 13 game spurt where he pots 19 points. If you were to watch every game over again, and have all of Penners shifts where he scored a point erased from the game tape, it would be impossible to say which games he got points, and which ones he didn't (save the Columbus game, which would only be about 3:49 long).

My point is that while his points have decreased, his play hasn't. He's still the same dominant power forward with great defensive play that he was in the first 13 games. The points haven't come as easily, but they very well could again.

I would guess 85-90 points, but I'm sure people will think I'm crazy.

jfhlbuffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2009, 12:00 PM
GSC

Penner will pot 30+ goals and 70+ points. If someone had told me that at the beginning of the season, I would've laughed uncontrollably. Now, I think it's a very realistic prediction.

Amazing turnaround for the big man. As Gregor said, if Dustin realized his potential (and had some better coaching along the way), Edmonton would adopt him as their own. Glad to see that has become the case.

GSC is offline   Reply With Quote