HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Current Assessment of Dustin Penner Thus Far...

Old
11-24-2009, 01:13 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
Turtle Renji

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyaddict101 View Post
Best rags to riches story in the NHL this season.
Agreed, nothing comes close. From where this guy was to where he is now it's night and day, frankly, and the icing on the cake would be if he could find his way onto Team Canada.

Jimmi Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2009, 01:19 PM
mcote97

These are the numbers I feared he was going to put up this year in Ottawa. Always liked the guy glad he is still hear and very happy with his performance. And the Bertuzzi (in his prime) comparison is fair, I just hope The Phenom (Penner, been calling him that since he signed with us even through the tough times) can refrain from punching some no name player in the back of the head and driving his face into the ice. Had to get that in there!

mcote97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2009, 01:27 PM
YoungGuns
The Taylor Hall Show

vCash: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
heh.

I think Dustin finishes at 65pts. He's still playing great and been the best forward on the club but his pace is slowing down.

After a torrid start to the season with 19pts in his first 13games, Penner has 7pts in his last 11 games. Still going very well and don't get me wrong but I see him trending about 6-7pts/10GP the rest of the way.
i do agree with you , he will finish somewhere between 60-80 points but the way he plays without the puck makes him that much more valueable even if he gets only 60 points but plays the same way i would be happy

YoungGuns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2009, 01:31 PM
Rafters

I think Penner has been working his ass off so far this season....but his conditioning has never been great and i see him starting to slow down...the effort is still there but I think he is starting to look a little tired

Rafters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2009, 03:17 PM
T-Funk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafters View Post
I think Penner has been working his ass off so far this season....but his conditioning has never been great and i see him starting to slow down...the effort is still there but I think he is starting to look a little tired
it's probably because we ride him so much now

i see him LOOKING a little more tired now, but i swear he's getting faster every game
if you don't look tired, you haven't been trying

T-Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2009, 03:39 PM
Dirkph
Mancrush = Malhotra

I wonder how much of Penner's success is attributed to the new coach. PQ has had a reputation of firing up players. I wonder if PQ had some one on one time with Penner that really sparked the fire in him.

Clearly, Penner has the tools and the toolbox to go with it. He just needs to use it.

Dirkph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2009, 04:00 PM
deanmoriarty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
Agreed, nothing comes close. From where this guy was to where he is now it's night and day, frankly, and the icing on the cake would be if he could find his way onto Team Canada.
That would be simply awesome, and would even out having d-bags Pronger and Heatley on the team.

deanmoriarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2009, 04:09 PM
Homesick

vCash: 50
I dont think Penner has cooled off at all. The stats on paper might have dropped a bit, but the on ice effort has been very consistant and I'd venture to say improving.
I've been so pleasantly surprised with Penner this season....almost as surprising as morning....

Homesick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2009, 04:18 PM
Homesick

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoognish View Post
That would be simply awesome, and would even out having d-bags Pronger and Heatley on the team.
Dustin Penner-Jeff Carter-Shane Doan line would be fun to watch as a 3rd/4th line

Old
11-24-2009, 04:23 PM
Eytinge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homesick View Post
Dustin Penner-Jeff Carter-Shane Doan line would be fun to watch as a 3rd/4th line
If Penner makes team Canada (which I doubt) you gotta put him with Perry and Getzlaf. Those 3 as rookies were dominant, imagine them now more stronger, faster, and smarter.

Eytinge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2009, 04:51 PM
Homesick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eytinge View Post
If Penner makes team Canada (which I doubt) you gotta put him with Perry and Getzlaf. Those 3 as rookies were dominant, imagine them now more stronger, faster, and smarter.
Yea, I doubt it too. Lowe is still an executive with Hockey Canada

Old
11-24-2009, 06:58 PM
CanadianCommie
Cold North Comrade

on the team canada stuff:

I'm looking at this a couple of different ways...any organization looking to build the best team in a given time period would be foolish to automatically pass on a player like penner just because he might very well be on a hot streak. If he's the BPA, he's the BPA.

Having said that I would be surprised if he was picked, mostly because there are a lot of far more well established players willing and able. Canada always has the (albeit good) problem of whittling a roster down to the right size without potentially shutting out a large swath of players that are just as capable. This means that lesser known but equally talented (or at least, productive in a given year) players are often passed over. Now, I'm not saying team makeups in the past have been mistakes or poorly chosen (although Torino was an embarrassment), just that it's easier to remember certain players more than others.

On Penner himself, he's already exceeded my expectations for the season...so far. If he keeps it up he'll be a huge factor for the Oilers moving forward, whether that's in the playoffs or, in the long-term, rebuilding.

CanadianCommie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2009, 09:52 PM
dobiezeke*

The fact that he is even mentioned in the Olympic discussions speaks volumes for his current effort and turn around. Looks good on him.

dobiezeke* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2009, 11:30 PM
Six in O6

Last night was the first time in a long time I saw him turn the puck over in our own zone. 24 games in that has to mean something.

Six in O6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2009, 12:15 AM
obglim

I picked Penner in a late round of my Yahoo draft. From what I saw in pre-season I figured he was good for 25-35-60 80 pims, which I thought would be a bit of a breakout season. I was laughed at heartily. I think he should easily eclipse those totals save the penalty minutes. I thought he would rack up a bunch of "i'm stronger than you" penalties, judging by the way he was tossing people around. It's even more impressive that he has spent virtually no time in the box despite the bullish way he has been playing.

obglim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2009, 12:17 AM
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Six in O6 View Post
Last night was the first time in a long time I saw him turn the puck over in our own zone. 24 games in that has to mean something.
He has also taken a grand total of 2 penalties in those 24 games.
Its really difficult not to like his game right now. He is playing solid hockey at both ends.

guymez is offline   Reply With Quote