HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

GDT: Flyers VS Devils GAME 4

Closed Thread

Old
04-15-2004, 10:58 AM
CatWrt

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by G_Love
Good God no...I'm a Northeastern University alum, and one of the founding members of the Dog House at NU hockey games. As such, I'm required by cosmic laws to detest BC (and BU, thus why a Pandolfo on NJ draws my ire as well) as much as humanly possible. To put it in to perspective, BU is at the top of the sports teams I hate the most, tied with the Devils and Cowboys, and BC is the next level down from them (tied with the Giants and Maple Leafs/Sens/Red Wings/Sabres). Considering that the difference between the top two levels is minute (and often indistinguishable), this should help explain things a bit.

The only thing worse than Gionta playing well in this series would be if the Devils had somehow acquired Drury before the playoffs and stuck him on a line with Gionta. The cosmic torment that is being a Philadelphia fan and an NU fan would then be complete.
I am a BC alum, and so I like to see Gionta & other grads do well. And Roenick spent about 2 weeks there before he bolted for the pro contract in Chicago. In fact, I like to see all the Boston area college guys do well - Amonte, LaChance, Kolanos, etc....Well maybe not all - Chris Nilan....no.

Old
04-15-2004, 11:02 AM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 1481
My biggest fear was the rebirth of the Rangers-Herb Brooks' Smurf teams that eliminated the Flyers in 1982 and 83. Gionta and Gomez playing the roles of Reijo Ruotsalainen and company.

Old
04-15-2004, 01:23 PM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

vCash: 50
my biggest fear is Bobby Clarke announcing Lindros is coming back for game 5. oh wait................

Old
04-15-2004, 02:51 PM
Stonehands77

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatWrt
I am a BC alum, and so I like to see Gionta & other grads do well. And Roenick spent about 2 weeks there before he bolted for the pro contract in Chicago. In fact, I like to see all the Boston area college guys do well - Amonte, LaChance, Kolanos, etc....Well maybe not all - Chris Nilan....no.
Oddly enough, I have almost the exact opposite opinion. Of course, when your team regularly gets pummeled by their rivals (BC and BU in this case), you tend to get a bit more negative. And Gionta never did anything but annoy me when he was with BC anyway, so it's not like I'll suddenly say "Hey, I hope he does well now that he went from one of my alma mater's rivals to my NHL team's biggest rival." Not bloody likely! And God, can I just say that Freddy Meyer playing for the Flyers (well, Phantoms, but he did play a game or two for the big club) was a strange experience? Here's a guy I detested while he was at BU (one of the Hockey East's reigning cheapshot kings), and now I have to cheer for him, at least in an indirect way? Not cool, at all. Although I find I don't mind Amonte/other guys who played before I started following NU at all...in my mind, there is no association with their schools, so I'm not bothered by it. No, players like Drury, Poti, Gionta, Kolanos, Kobasew, DiPietro, etc. draw my ire. Oh, and Roenick does NOT count as a BC alum...he wasn't even on campus for a week before he bolted for the NHL. Although I've had many discussions with BC fans about this in the past.

Then again, there's only two NU alums playing in the NHL right now: Dan McGillis and Jim Fahey. Says something about the quality of players the schools have gotten, eh? :mad:

Closed Thread