HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Can JDD hold down the fort?

Old
11-25-2009, 02:43 AM
Auguste Escoffier

vCash: 500
I honestly think so. Like Rinne, Hiller and Varlamov perhaps Deslauriers can use this opportunity and become a legitimate number 1 goalie. I know most feel DD is the future of the Oilers' goalie situation, but I believe that can change.

Auguste Escoffier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2009, 04:45 AM
T-Funk

Quote:
Originally Posted by IvyEyezPK View Post
I honestly think so. Like Rinne, Hiller and Varlamov perhaps Deslauriers can use this opportunity and become a legitimate number 1 goalie. I know most feel DD is the future of the Oilers' goalie situation, but I believe that can change.
especially considering he's no better than jdd currently

T-Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2009, 03:46 PM
Oil Gauge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
JDD can handle fairly long stretches of play, but needs a fair bit of rest afterwards or his game gets out of sorts. I would be fine with a tandem of JDD and Dubnyk for a long stretch as long as the club plays more like their first 8 games of the year than how they've played since.
And this is based off of what?

Quote:
Not sure that Varlamov is a #1 goalie yet, but he's getting there.

I think due to Contract issues that DD will be the Oilers future, especially if Deslauriers puts up a good season this year, the Oilers may be forced to trade him.

Oil Gauge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2009, 09:10 PM
Bryanbryoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oil Gauge View Post
And this is based off of what?

Not sure that Varlamov is a #1 goalie yet, but he's getting there.

I think due to Contract issues that DD will be the Oilers future, especially if Deslauriers puts up a good season this year, the Oilers may be forced to trade him.
Me watching him a helluva a lot more than you have?

Bryanbryoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2009, 10:04 PM
thadd
Oil4Life

Send a message via MSN to thadd
I don't doubt that JDD can get the job done as long as Lubo, Smid and Souray stay healthy. Can't wait to get Chorney back.

thadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2009, 02:35 AM
Oil Gauge

Quote:
Me watching him a helluva a lot more than you have?
Oh, i'm sorry I forgot you traveled north America the last 5 years. I guess it would be ridiculous to think he has matured or developed in 2 years? Probably not hey?

Old
11-26-2009, 02:41 AM
Bryanbryoil

Quote:
Oh, i'm sorry I forgot you traveled north America the last 5 years. I guess it would be ridiculous to think he has matured or developed in 2 years? Probably not hey?
His style is a tough one to play on a 70 game pace for more than 20-30 games. He has matured but he also didn't see a very big workload last season or this one until Khabibulin went down. Look at his stats in his last season in Springfield he wilted down the stretch because he was overworked, that would be what I'd base most of my opinion on, and until he gets a chance to prove otherwise, I'd sooner play it safe and play him at a 55-60 game type of a pace.

Old
11-26-2009, 03:06 AM
I am the Liquor
finger sniffer

vCash: 133
Nope.

I am the Liquor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2009, 03:09 AM
Auguste Escoffier

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Nope.
Yeah, **** JDD! He should have gotten another shutout. Then we would have won for sure.

Auguste Escoffier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2009, 03:13 AM
I am the Liquor
finger sniffer

vCash: 133
Quote:
Yeah, **** JDD! He should have gotten another shutout. Then we would have won for sure.
You cant win many games when you only score one goal. Getting beat clean by Matt Greene is just embarrassing. The first goal was weak too. He played great other than that, but to excell at this level, you need to stop those. He goes down too early and teams roof it over the shoulder. Watch for it in the next couple of games. I have noticed it. It bugs me. I am happy with his play overall though.

I am the Liquor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2009, 04:23 AM
Oil Gauge

Quote:
His style is a tough one to play on a 70 game pace for more than 20-30 games. He has matured but he also didn't see a very big workload last season or this one until Khabibulin went down. Look at his stats in his last season in Springfield he wilted down the stretch because he was overworked, that would be what I'd base most of my opinion on, and until he gets a chance to prove otherwise, I'd sooner play it safe and play him at a 55-60 game type of a pace.
Oh so now your claim is based on his stats and not watching him play more than I have.

How is his style a tough style to play? What is his style? How is it harder than most other goalies styles in the NHL?

What do you mean by look at his stats in his last year in Springfield? Didn't he only play one year in Springfield? You think if you were watching him soo much that you would know this. not?

Also I don't think there's a site that has game by game stats for the AHL but maybe i'm not looking hard enough.

So you think he gets tired and worn out, but you want him to play "at a 55-60 game type of a pace". That's pretty much starting goalie responsibilities. He payed 57 games when he played in springfield, but that was too much for him? You say one thing then you contradict it... Your logic doesn't lead me to any solid ground.

Of course you don't want to overwork him. Back to back game this weekend right? If Khabibulin isn't ready by Saturday night then I say Dubnyk should get his first NHL start. Just like any goalie, he can't play every game. I do however feel comfortable with him playing a large majority of them while our #1 is out. Sure he might have a tough game here and there, but really what young goalie doesn't? Thats part of growing and learning to be a #1.

Old
11-26-2009, 01:14 PM
Bryanbryoil

Quote:
Oh so now your claim is based on his stats and not watching him play more than I have.

How is his style a tough style to play? What is his style? How is it harder than most other goalies styles in the NHL?

What do you mean by look at his stats in his last year in Springfield? Didn't he only play one year in Springfield? You think if you were watching him soo much that you would know this. not?

Also I don't think there's a site that has game by game stats for the AHL but maybe i'm not looking hard enough.

So you think he gets tired and worn out, but you want him to play "at a 55-60 game type of a pace". That's pretty much starting goalie responsibilities. He payed 57 games when he played in springfield, but that was too much for him? You say one thing then you contradict it... Your logic doesn't lead me to any solid ground.

Of course you don't want to overwork him. Back to back game this weekend right? If Khabibulin isn't ready by Saturday night then I say Dubnyk should get his first NHL start. Just like any goalie, he can't play every game. I do however feel comfortable with him playing a large majority of them while our #1 is out. Sure he might have a tough game here and there, but really what young goalie doesn't? Thats part of growing and learning to be a #1.
I watched the vast majority of his games in his last full AHL season and BTW he DID play there last year on a conditioning assignment meaning that he played there TWO different seasons. I saw him carry a team on him back for much of the year until he got burnt out. Look at how little Dubnyk played the first half of Springfields season that year.

His style is very much like Garon, reflex oriented shutting down the bottom 1/2 of the net, Dubnyk is more of a positional goaltender. He played too much too close together and that's why he got burned out, his first 1/2 of that season he was on pace for a hell of a lot more than 57 games and BTW-there is a site where you can see their stats on a game by game basis, but since you know so much perhaps you know this.

Old
11-26-2009, 01:17 PM
Bryanbryoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
You cant win many games when you only score one goal. Getting beat clean by Matt Greene is just embarrassing. The first goal was weak too. He played great other than that, but to excell at this level, you need to stop those. He goes down too early and teams roof it over the shoulder. Watch for it in the next couple of games. I have noticed it. It bugs me. I am happy with his play overall though.
It looked like the 1st goal may have just bounced over his stick 5 hole, a real flukey goal. The second one just happens sometimes, that said it could've been much worse than 1-0 for us in the 1st if he didn't play well so the bottom line is that he didn't lose us the game and that IMO is a fair thing to ask of a backup goaltender.

Old
11-26-2009, 02:52 PM
Oil Gauge

Quote:
I watched the vast majority of his games in his last full AHL season and BTW he DID play there last year on a conditioning assignment meaning that he played there TWO different seasons. I saw him carry a team on him back for much of the year until he got burnt out. Look at how little Dubnyk played the first half of Springfields season that year.

His style is very much like Garon, reflex oriented shutting down the bottom 1/2 of the net, Dubnyk is more of a positional goaltender. He played too much too close together and that's why he got burned out, his first 1/2 of that season he was on pace for a hell of a lot more than 57 games and BTW-there is a site where you can see their stats on a game by game basis, but since you know so much perhaps you know this.
Oh so 5 games on a conditioning stint constitutes a season? Neat.

i dunno i think i'd call JD's style of play more positional than it is reflex orientated. He plays his best when he is at the top of the crease, in good position. He has good reflexes, sometimes but that's not his game. A goalie like lundqvist is a reflex goalie, he depends on his reflexes, JD comes out and takes away the angles a lot more than he depends on his reflexes. Look at the few poor games he played this season, he's been beaten high because he's been too far back in his net. If he was a reflex goalie he'd be making those saves because that would be his game. The games he has played good in he's been out challenging the shooter and taking away their options with his positioning.

I know so much? I said in my last post that I didn't know of a site that had game by game stats. I never claimed to be a genius or anything, I just wanted you to share how you arrived at your opinion. But it seems to me that it is only an opinion with very little fact to back it up. and that's fine your opinion can be what ever you want it to be, i have no problem with that.

Last edited by Oil Gauge: 11-26-2009 at 02:58 PM.