HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Ribeiro's last game with the Habs?

Closed Thread

Old
04-14-2004, 12:32 PM
HabsoluteFate

vCash: 500
Ribeiro's last game with the Habs?

First of all this is something from 110% so take it as that...nothing more nothing less...
i'm a Rib fan first of all although I believe he got hurt i still have issues with how he went about it.
Anyways, an "Ancien" Hab player (of course they didnt say who) said what Ribeiro did is exactly the type of player Gainey does not want on his team and he believes once this year's playoffs are over Ribeiro & the Habs will also be over...this was not in last night's 110%...i think it was the night before so Rib hadnt stepped it up like he did last night.

Although anything can happen i can live with the team losing on thursday...so here is my biggest dissapointment & surprises:

Dissapointment: 1. Theodore 2. Souray 3. Entire team in the first game
Surprises 1. Kovalev 2. Ribeiro 3. Dagenais

Theodore
1-2 bad goals per game is too much...especially during the playoffs....very dissapointing

Souray
He must be injured..hasnt been the same since he came back from his injury...i hope he gets it back together again

Game1
Who knows...things could be 2-2 or better had they actually shown up in that first game...i have to admit they have been amazing since then but with the way Raycroft is doing and Theo not playing at the level he's shown in the past we're down 3-1 unfortunately

Kovalev
Finally got his scoring touch together and i admit a good part of me thought he wasnt going to...a small part of me was hopping he would and he did...there is that incident from last night that is very questionable..its not the incident i have the most problem with but with how the team probably is divided now after Julien & Souray's comments...Thursday probably is the last game especially if things are divided

Ribeiro
Yes there was the incident but if you take into account all the games i think he's been our most consistent player of these players...he's tried ever since the first game...not the second or third like most others on the team

yes Dagenais is a surprise...if anything i think having some playoff experience is bringing out some good out of some players...Dagenais was actually hitting last night and defending someone....although Lapointe is overrated he isnt exactly chump change either...and ya he was "protecting" ribeiro his friend since way back when but i still think its quite a positive! Add some speed and do that on a regular basis and Dagenais could be one hell of a player...

Overall a good season...a win thursday would be nice...it would show some character and theres nothing like
building characters for a younger player than in the playoffs especially if you can manage a win being down 3-1
although its possible to come back i wouldnt back on it (sorry)...but hey Dowd might convince they can do it after
doing it twice last year...and not exactly against bad teams either...but for that to happen Theodore would have to
really turn it up a few notches...which i dont think it will happen...

too bad there probably will be no hockey next season!

Old
04-14-2004, 12:36 PM
Mooch

Send a message via MSN to Mooch
Ribs not being a Gainey type is interesting. Personally, i dont think Gainey is the type, too pass quick judgement. He always takes his time, and i think for that reason he will keep Ribs another season to evaluate him and see if he is his "type" of player. Maturity, strength are two things Ribs should work on over the summer, although i get the feeling that Ribs is already quickly beggining to mature over these playoffs. Ribs comments last night on the Kovalev situation is a great example.

Last edited by Mooch: 04-14-2004 at 12:41 PM.
Old
04-14-2004, 12:40 PM
fufonzo

Send a message via ICQ to fufonzo Send a message via MSN to fufonzo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooch
Ribs not being a Gainey type is interesting. Personally, i dont think Gainey is the type, too pass quick judgement. He always takes his time, and i think for that reason he will keep Ribs another season to evaluate him and see if he is his "type" of player. Maturity, strength are two things Ribs should work on over the summer, although i get the feeling that Ribs is already quickly beggining to mature over these playoffs. His comments last night on the Kovalev situation is a great example.
what were gainey's comments?
where can we find them?

Old
04-14-2004, 12:41 PM
Mooch

Quote:
Originally Posted by fufonzo
what were gainey's comments?
where can we find them?
I was talking about Ribs comment not Gaineys. Sorry for making that unclear.

Old
04-14-2004, 12:46 PM
Stefan_Latulippe

Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsoluteFate
First of all this is something from 110% so take it as that...nothing more nothing less...
i'm a Rib fan first of all although I believe he got hurt i still have issues with how he went about it.
Anyways, an "Ancien" Hab player (of course they didnt say who) said what Ribeiro did is exactly the type of player Gainey does not want on his team and he believes once this year's playoffs are over Ribeiro & the Habs will also be over...this was not in last night's 110%...i think it was the night before so Rib hadnt stepped it up like he did last night.

Although anything can happen i can live with the team losing on thursday...so here is my biggest dissapointment & surprises:

Dissapointment: 1. Theodore 2. Souray 3. Entire team in the first game
Surprises 1. Kovalev 2. Ribeiro 3. Dagenais

Theodore
1-2 bad goals per game is too much...especially during the playoffs....very dissapointing

Souray
He must be injured..hasnt been the same since he came back from his injury...i hope he gets it back together again

Game1
Who knows...things could be 2-2 or better had they actually shown up in that first game...i have to admit they have been amazing since then but with the way Raycroft is doing and Theo not playing at the level he's shown in the past we're down 3-1 unfortunately

Kovalev
Finally got his scoring touch together and i admit a good part of me thought he wasnt going to...a small part of me was hopping he would and he did...there is that incident from last night that is very questionable..its not the incident i have the most problem with but with how the team probably is divided now after Julien & Souray's comments...Thursday probably is the last game especially if things are divided

Ribeiro
Yes there was the incident but if you take into account all the games i think he's been our most consistent player of these players...he's tried ever since the first game...not the second or third like most others on the team

yes Dagenais is a surprise...if anything i think having some playoff experience is bringing out some good out of some players...Dagenais was actually hitting last night and defending someone....although Lapointe is overrated he isnt exactly chump change either...and ya he was "protecting" ribeiro his friend since way back when but i still think its quite a positive! Add some speed and do that on a regular basis and Dagenais could be one hell of a player...

Overall a good season...a win thursday would be nice...it would show some character and theres nothing like
building characters for a younger player than in the playoffs especially if you can manage a win being down 3-1
although its possible to come back i wouldnt back on it (sorry)...but hey Dowd might convince they can do it after
doing it twice last year...and not exactly against bad teams either...but for that to happen Theodore would have to

What is a Bob Gainey type of player anyway?

Gainey signed Donald Audette and Pierre Turgeon to multi-year contracts while in Dallas and those 2 players did receive a lot of abuse from this board anyway.

Old
04-14-2004, 12:47 PM
Mooch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan_Latulippe
What is a Bob Gainey type of player anyway?

Gainey signed Donald Audette and Pierre Turgeon to multi-year contracts while in Dallas and those 2 players did receive a lot of abuse from this board anyway.

First of all this is something from 110% so take it as that

That was the first comment in his post. Its not his point of view.

Old
04-14-2004, 12:47 PM
SuperUnknown

Ribeiro's going to stay with the team. He had the team support and he rebounded in this game.

On the other hand, either Kovalev won't be signed this summer or else Julien will be fired. It's going to be one or the other.

Old
04-14-2004, 12:52 PM
Stefan_Latulippe

Quote:

First of all this is something from 110% so take it as that

That was the first comment in his post. Its not his point of view.
It is also the TITLE of his post.

Old
04-14-2004, 12:55 PM
Mooch

Quote:
It is also the TITLE of his post.
I know.

What does the title have to do with anybody being a gainey type

Old
04-14-2004, 01:00 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smail
Ribeiro's going to stay with the team. He had the team support and he rebounded in this game.
I don't see Ribeiro as being a "Bob Gainey" player either, but I think BG is enough of a pragmatist that he knows he has no real choice but to keep going with Ribeiro and see what happens. You wouldn't get anything worthwhile in a trade for Ribeiro right now. So you can't trade him. We don't know for sure that we have anybody else ready yet to fill his offensive role either. Basically, I think Ribeiro stays with the team and either grows up, or pulls some stunt that makes it okay to "give" him away. If his salary demands grow beyond the middling player level one day, I would say that could be all the excuse needed to give him away. Or maybe in a year or two if his market value picks up and we start to see Plekanec or somebody pushing for his spot... but that's all a long way off at best...

Quote:
On the other hand, either Kovalev won't be signed this summer or else Julien will be fired. It's going to be one or the other.
I don't think there's much option to sign Kovalev anyway, so I wouldn't connect those two things.

Old
04-14-2004, 01:00 PM
DEBASER

i think ribiero cemented his spot in the montreal lineup with his performance in the playoffs. a big concern was whether or not he could compete against bigger, physical teams, and he has done just that - playing hard, gritty hockey, even getting in the ears of the bruins players.

imo Ribiero played with a lot of grit and flair these playoffs, and if we lose, i think he'll be hungry to get back in and do some damage next year.

Old
04-14-2004, 01:08 PM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEBASER
i think ribiero cemented his spot in the montreal lineup with his performance in the playoffs. a big concern was whether or not he could compete against bigger, physical teams, and he has done just that - playing hard, gritty hockey, even getting in the ears of the bruins players.

imo Ribiero played with a lot of grit and flair these playoffs, and if we lose, i think he'll be hungry to get back in and do some damage next year.
i agree with you. Sometimes you have to accept growing pains. I think that I was pretty wrong in my assessment of Ribeiro as far as his willingness to do what it takes to improve. He has a bit of growing up to do still, but look at him compare dto a year ago.

Old
04-14-2004, 01:08 PM
SuperUnknown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien
I don't think there's much option to sign Kovalev anyway, so I wouldn't connect those two things.
Well I think there is. If Gainey fires Julien, he could convince Kovalev he'd have a new clean start with the team and coach. On the other hand, I doubt Kovalev will ever want to play again under Julien, who singled him out last night as a cause for the loss.

Old
04-14-2004, 01:29 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Well I think there is. If Gainey fires Julien, he could convince Kovalev he'd have a new clean start with the team and coach. On the other hand, I doubt Kovalev will ever want to play again under Julien, who singled him out last night as a cause for the loss.
If Kovalev is so thin-skinned that he can't accept a sincere apology, or Julien is so unreasonable that he can't give one, then we're in big trouble. These guys aren't kids on a playground. I'm sure things like that will have next to nothing to do with Kovalev signing here or not. It will come down to what it always comes down to... $$$$. I don't think we can or will be willing to plunk down $6M+ for Kovalev, but probably there is some team out there which will.

Old
04-14-2004, 01:33 PM
SuperUnknown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien
If Kovalev is so thin-skinned that he can't accept a sincere apology, or Julien is so unreasonable that he can't give one, then we're in big trouble. These guys aren't kids on a playground. I'm sure things like that will have next to nothing to do with Kovalev signing here or not. It will come down to what it always comes down to... $$$$. I don't think we can or will be willing to plunk down $6M+ for Kovalev, but probably there is some team out there which will.
Well, Julien also played him a while on the 4th line, almost calling him out as not giving good effort. Julien also said Kovalev was in bad shape.

Add now this blunder, it's a tough love situation. I doubt Kovalev (if given the choice) will pick Montreal with Claude Julien.

Old
04-14-2004, 01:33 PM
Stefan_Latulippe

Quote:
Ribs not being a Gainey type is interesting....
I was trying to find what type of players were Gainey's type.....

Old
04-14-2004, 01:35 PM
Mooch

Quote:
Lol! my bad, sorry.

Well i guess players that dont whine, work hard, are some what resposible defensively, are his type, but like you said he has gone out for others not his type like Turgeon in the past, but i think since than he has learned his lesson.

Old
04-14-2004, 01:40 PM
montreal
Time to Get Down

Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsoluteFate

Ribeiro

How has Ribeiro been the most consistent player? He did little to nothing until last night. None of the forwards have been great, but I think Ryder's created a lot more, same with Koivu and Kovalev. If anything I've been disappointed in his lack of effectiveness. He's trying hard but until last night nothing was coming out of it. I'm not bashing him cause I see the effort but I can't see him anywhere near our most consistent.

Dags has been decent, getting some shots and is taking the body, but he's got to be smarter out there and keep moving his feet. The whole 2nd line has had so much trouble producing, as they didn't get anything till the 4th game, whereas bostons 2nd line is killing us.

I'lll get flamed but I've been the most disappointed in Theo. He's a very good goalie but he struggled in the last playoffs (had the worst gaa/save % in the 1st and 2nd period in the playoffs, but got better in third and later in the series) I think he can bounce back, but he's looked very average to me. He's made some good saves and he hasn't been helped out by his defense on several plays (Bouillon's perfect screen last night cost a goal) but he must get better and better fast. It's not that he's been brutal, but if he doesn't play better for the rest of the series it's already over.

I am a big Garon fan, and I'd love to see him get some playoff experience, but I don't think I would put Garon in tomorrow night. I'd go with Theo, but if he doesn't play better we won't win. :mad:

Old
04-14-2004, 01:42 PM
velimiiro

Honestly Bob Gainey would be stupid to get rid of Ribeiro at this point. Ribeiro has exceeded expectations and has become a true top 6 foward and leading the whole habs team in scoring at the age of 23.

It doesn't end there though, people thought he wasn't "built" for the playoffs and he wouldn't be able to handle it, wrong again, he's been very good in the playoffs playing a very in your face type style. Not only this, he's been a pest, getting under the bruins players, and fans
skin.

Ribeiro is a player you either love or hate, and for most people who aren't hab fans, it's easy to hate him, hell i would hate him if he was on another team. It's just the type of player he is, and honestly if we wanna build a contender, Ribeiro as our #2 Centerman is a very strong step IMO.

Old
04-14-2004, 01:42 PM
montreal
Time to Get Down

Quote:

Begin, Koivu, Ryder, Ward, Dowd, Souray, Rivet, Quintal

Old
04-14-2004, 01:43 PM
Stefan_Latulippe

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal
You can add Audette and Turgeon on the list as well.

Old
04-14-2004, 01:45 PM
markov`

Markov too. With the way he's playing, he's certainly every GM's type of defenseman.

Old
04-14-2004, 01:45 PM
Mooch

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal

You forgot Kovalev

Old
04-14-2004, 01:46 PM
Mooch

Quote:
Originally Posted by markov`
Markov too. With the way he's playing, he's certainly every GM's type of defenseman.
Agreed

Old
04-14-2004, 01:55 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Well, Julien also played him a while on the 4th line, almost calling him out as not giving good effort. Julien also said Kovalev was in bad shape.
Add now this blunder, it's a tough love situation. I doubt Kovalev (if given the choice) will pick Montreal with Claude Julien.
I guess it's supposed to be a thread about Ribeiro, but since Kovalev is more likely to play his last game with the Habs than Ribeiro, maybe that's a fair justification for hijacking the thread?

Anyway, I would just say that Kovalev completely earned his demotion to the 4th line, that he *didn't* give a good effort at tiimes, and it seems that he *was* in poor condition. At first, anyway. He brought most of that treatment upon himself. I don't feel that Kovalev deserves any special coddling, so if he did want to justify picking another team on that basis, then I say, great. See ya. Don't let the door hit you on the way out. (But this is all assuming that Kovalev is that touchy, which I don't think he could be).

Closed Thread