HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Jared Ross and Andreas Nodl recalled

Old
11-22-2009, 05:34 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 6115
Jared Ross and Andreas Nodl recalled

From Frank Seravalli's Twitter:

DNFlyers

Jared Ross and Andreas Nodl recalled from Adirondack to replace Powe and Betts. Both are on their way to Denver and will be ready for tom. 10 minutes ago from web

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2009, 05:52 PM
ForsbergIsOdin

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to ForsbergIsOdin
Noooooooodl

ForsbergIsOdin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2009, 05:54 PM
UseYourAllusion

Noodles!

if only he was as good as his nickname.

UseYourAllusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2009, 05:58 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
I can think of about five guys I'd rather have called up. Maroon, Dingle, Legein, Matsumoto, Kalinski, etc. Nodl I don't mind that much getting the call, but Ross? Come on. Matsumoto is leading the team in points and has been waiting (and deserving) a shot for years. Why bring up a guy who isn't even playing well in the AHL, and didn't play well last year in the NHL? Don't get me wrong, Ross is a good player and will probably be a solid 3rd/4th liner at some point in his career, but I gotta believe that Matsumoto would be a better call up than him. Is Ross really good on defense or something and I am missing something?

DrinkFightFlyers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2009, 05:58 PM
nosnhoj

Meh.

nosnhoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2009, 05:59 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Well this sucks... I was completely wrong

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2009, 06:00 PM
IrishSniper87

Noodles!!!!

I'd rather call up Motsumoto and Maroon.

IrishSniper87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2009, 06:04 PM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
I like Ross cause he and Giroux lit up the AHL. Nodl sucks, id rather Kalinski

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2009, 06:07 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
I can think of about five guys I'd rather have called up. Maroon, Dingle, Legein, Matsumoto, Kalinski, etc. Nodl I don't mind that much getting the call, but Ross? Come on. Matsumoto is leading the team in points and has been waiting (and deserving) a shot for years. Why bring up a guy who isn't even playing well in the AHL, and didn't play well last year in the NHL? Don't get me wrong, Ross is a good player and will probably be a solid 3rd/4th liner at some point in his career, but I gotta believe that Matsumoto would be a better call up than him. Is Ross really good on defense or something and I am missing something?
Nodl has 4 points in 16 games while Ross has 7 in 16 games. This is compared to Maroons 10 points and Matsumoto's 14 points. I guess they just want fill ins. Instead of putting players in that can actually affect things, we got players that will play maybe 5 mins each.

My guess at lines:

Hartnell-Richards-Giroux
JVR-Carter-Briere
Carcillo-Pyorala-Lappy
Nodl-Ross-Laliberte

That unless they decide to put Giroux at center still:

Hartnell-Richards-Pyorala
JVR-Carter-Briere
Nodl-Giroux-Laliberte
Carcillo-Ross-Lappy

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2009, 06:12 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
Because unlike Matsumoto, Ross is a 4th line-type player in the NHL. Nodl will also be playing 4th line, and those aren't positions you want Maroon and Matsumoto playing. Otherwise, there's nothing wrong with going to guys who have played before, they deserved their original opportunities for a reason. Ross played in the playoffs last year, they obviously think he's not too bad. In fact, I don't know how much he could have possibly done in the little ice time he had to prove that he didn't deserve another opportunity.

Old
11-22-2009, 06:24 PM
fire bettman

Say what you want to justify this decision but if I was Matsumoto, i'd be ****ing livid right now. I was getting really excited to see Maroon and Matsumoto get the call up, too.

fire bettman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2009, 06:31 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE BETTMAN View Post
Say what you want to justify this decision but if I was Matsumoto, i'd be ****ing livid right now. I was getting really excited to see Maroon and Matsumoto get the call up, too.
They weren't going to be called up to play 4th line.

If you don't realize that, you don't understand how call-ups work. The best player doesn't always get the call.

Old
11-22-2009, 06:36 PM
UseYourAllusion

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
They weren't going to be called up to play 4th line.

If you don't realize that, you don't understand how call-ups work. The best player doesn't always get the call.
Yup. Better for a guy like Matsumoto to get serious playing time on the Phantoms, than to be called up to play 5 minutes a game.

UseYourAllusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2009, 06:41 PM
fire bettman

I know how call ups work, thank you.

I just feel for Matsumoto, he is proving that he plays well enough and I think he's gotten one call up? And do you really think Maroon's style would not be a perfect replacement for the guys that we have out?

fire bettman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2009, 06:47 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE BETTMAN View Post
I know how call ups work, thank you.

I just feel for Matsumoto, he is proving that he plays well enough and I think he's gotten one call up? And do you really think Maroon's style would not be a perfect replacement for the guys that we have out?
No, because he wouldn't fill the same role as Powe or Betts. Nodl is more closer to Powe, and Matsumoto is not your ideal 4th line center right now. Maybe if you're out of options, but we're lucky in the sense that right now 3 of the 4 forwards we have injured could be considered 4th line players.

If there are 2 guys who should be mad it's Krys Kolanos and Jason Ward, unless they're hurt themselves.

Old
11-22-2009, 06:54 PM
Garbage Goal

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
No, because he wouldn't fill the same role as Powe or Betts. Nodl is more closer to Powe, and Matsumoto is not your ideal 4th line center right now. Maybe if you're out of options, but we're lucky in the sense that right now 3 of the 4 forwards we have injured could be considered 4th line players.

If there are 2 guys who should be mad it's Krys Kolanos and Jason Ward, unless they're hurt themselves.
To be fair, only one of them will be on our "4th line" (which is just a checking line) to fill in for Betts. The other will be playing on Giroux's wing most likely unless they feel the need to move Lappy or Carcillo up.

I'm interested to see Ross some more considering we didn't see to much of him last year. He reminds me of Powe a bit. Nodl has an awesome name, but he seemed like a barely NHL capable player last year.

Garbage Goal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2009, 06:56 PM
nevermore
Cap space since 2005

Time for Nodl to show us something ... Anything.

nevermore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2009, 07:19 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

I got a funny feeling that they're probably going to move Matsumoto if they get a chance. The guy just continues to prove he should be playing in the NHL and they've got him stuck in the AHL. He's never had a shot. And with Greg Gilbert coaching him down there, he might end up regressing. I honestly feel for Matsumoto. And if it's the 'fouth' line, then why not drop Pyorala to the fourth line and have Matsumoto center the third to see what happens?

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2009, 07:51 PM
captainpaxil

i think this is just the 1st batch. i got a feeling well be seeing a couple guys coming up for a cup o joe just to see where theyre at and remind em theyre still in the plans

captainpaxil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2009, 08:53 PM
jb**

ross is nto an nhl caliber player. for a few games maybe. not for 4-6 weeks and we will see that/ it will be fulyl exposed for the ahl player he is

jb** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2009, 09:11 PM
Toonces
The beer kitty

Ross and Nodl know the roles, and what is expected of them, that's why they were called up. Maroon and Matsumoto will get their shots eventually, but I would rather see them getting some good playing time in the AHL rather than playing 5 minutes a game on an NHL roster for a month.

I'd personally would have liked to see Legein get a taste for a few games, since he kinda can fit into that Powe role, and could use the extra motivation, but I realise it's not the time for experements. They called up guys who they know exactly what they have with them as role players.

Toonces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2009, 10:11 PM
Valhoun*

Send a message via AIM to Valhoun*
If the team is waiting for a top 6 or even a top 9 spot to open up for some of our more offensively gifted prospects then, well, those poor ******** are going to be on the Phantoms for a very long time past the point that they should be. When healthy I just don't see where there is room for some of these guys.

Valhoun* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2009, 12:06 AM
Gert B Frobe

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevermore View Post
Time for Nodl to show us something ... Anything.
that something is going to be that he belongs in the AHL.

Gert B Frobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2009, 12:20 AM
dawkins121

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valhoun View Post
If the team is waiting for a top 6 or even a top 9 spot to open up for some of our more offensively gifted prospects then, well, those poor ******** are going to be on the Phantoms for a very long time past the point that they should be. When healthy I just don't see where there is room for some of these guys.
You might be surprised. With cap issues possibly looming, injuries always a concern, and who knows what else could happen. Maybe we'll get lucky and someone will offer to take Briere off our hands before he starts declining. It would be a lot easier to pull the trigger on something like that if you know you have a guy to replace him. Always good to have a plan B.

dawkins121 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2009, 02:28 AM
Valhoun*

Send a message via AIM to Valhoun*
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawkins121 View Post
You might be surprised. With cap issues possibly looming, injuries always a concern, and who knows what else could happen. Maybe we'll get lucky and someone will offer to take Briere off our hands before he starts declining. It would be a lot easier to pull the trigger on something like that if you know you have a guy to replace him. Always good to have a plan B.
Are you saying that the same group of geniuses who handled Randy Jones' re-entry may orchestrate a situation where this team could have cap issues?

I don't believe it.

Valhoun* is offline   Reply With Quote