HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

Washington Wizards owner Abe Pollin dies at 85

Old
11-25-2009, 11:44 AM
RandyHolt
Opposite George = GM

vCash: 50
who knows if we would even have a hockey team here if it werent for him. Look at how many big cities dont have a team and this is hardly a hockey town. We'd all be Skipjacks or Flyers fans /shudder. And dont forget about the ole Cap Center in good old Landover. I have lots of good memories of that place, not just hockey of course. The stories i could tell from the parking lot alone. He was an entertainment mogul and dare I say he was way ahead of his time.

RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2009, 12:07 PM
usiel
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to usiel
At this point for me those memories of being bitter against Pollin in the early-mid 90s have for the most part faded. Can't deny everything he's done. The MCI/Verizon Center is just amazing in hindsight.

11-25-2009, 12:08 PM
dpj0122

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
who knows if we would even have a hockey team here if it werent for him. Look at how many big cities dont have a team and this is hardly a hockey town. We'd all be Skipjacks or Flyers fans /shudder. And dont forget about the ole Cap Center in good old Landover. I have lots of good memories of that place, not just hockey of course. The stories i could tell from the parking lot alone. He was an entertainment mogul and dare I say he was way ahead of his time.

I dare say that the NBA and NHL would have found its way to a market the size of Washington with or without Abe Pollin. His record speaks for himself as a team owner and it is not a good one. His civic record, however, is very good.

dpj0122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2009, 12:19 PM
dpj0122

Quote:
Originally Posted by usiel View Post
At this point for me those memories of being bitter against Pollin in the early-mid 90s have for the most part faded. Can't deny everything he's done. The MCI/Verizon Center is just amazing in hindsight.
Yes, a nice arena. What's not nice is the terrible lease arrangement the Pollin foisted upon Leonsis so that the Caps have been losing big bucks for years. Now, one could argue that no one made Leonsis do it. True, but all appearances were that Pollin led Leonsis to believe that he would be out in a couple of years and Leonsis' option to acquire the Wiz and the arena would then take effect. Instead, Pollin hung around for eleven more years, costing Leonsis millions. But it is all good for the Caps once Leonsis does acquire the arena, now that Pollin is dead.

Old
11-25-2009, 12:32 PM
sk84fun_dc

Zero sympathy for Leonsis the businessman from my perspective. Leonsis signed the deal as written; as a businessman, he should have had a set number of years built into the contract if he didn't want to wait for Pollin to retire or pass away. If one followed local sports and Pollin over the years, Pollin wasn't going to let go of the Wizards and Verizon Center until he had to let go.

sk84fun_dc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2009, 12:40 PM
strungout
Professional Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk84fun_dc View Post
If one followed local sports and Pollin over the years, Pollin wasn't going to let go of the Wizards and Verizon Center until he had to let go.
I'm thinking that grip has loosened up some.

strungout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2009, 01:14 PM
Chokingdogs

love, loathe, or feel indifferent towards pollin, and regardless of his initial or subsequent intentions and feelings towards the capitals, there are three undeniable facts with respect to pollin and hockey in washington.

he brought a team here. he didnt sell/move the team when it was on life support. when he did finally sell it, he sold it to a person who, on the surface, professed their desire and commitment to keeping them here and bringing a cup.

as for the "deal" pollin "foisted" onto teddy, well, thats a big joke.

whatever money the caps, as a singular business entity were losing over the years, was more than offset by the 44% ownership teddy's group had in WSE.

Chokingdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2009, 01:30 PM
Millhaus

After watching what the city went through to get a baseball team to think that they would have gone through the same to get a hockey team is ludicrous IMO. Pollin paid for out of his own pocket not 1 but 2 arenas for his teams. If he never spent a single penny more than what the teams actually brought in on his teams he would still be a gold star owner because of the arenas. Many think that because Pollin did that and that Cooke built FedEx Field that that kind of thing isn't very unusual but that is completely not the case.

And to think that Leonsis was not 100% aware that he was going to have very significant operating losses during the time he only owned the Caps is incredibly naive. Much of the money that would have come back to him from the arena to offset a large percentage of those losses was instead plowed into the arena debt. He will now own an arena with significantly less debt on it than he would have so basically the money was moved from one account to another and again he always knew this was going to be the case.

Millhaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2009, 02:00 PM
usiel
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to usiel
Leonsis wanted to get in line for the all so he knew that to get in the foot in the door he got the capitals and in 2005 the mystics.

usiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2009, 03:19 PM
dpj0122

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk84fun_dc View Post
Zero sympathy for Leonsis the businessman from my perspective. Leonsis signed the deal as written; as a businessman, he should have had a set number of years built into the contract if he didn't want to wait for Pollin to retire or pass away. If one followed local sports and Pollin over the years, Pollin wasn't going to let go of the Wizards and Verizon Center until he had to let go.
And you reach tthat conclusion why? He let both the Caps and the Mystics go.

Old
11-25-2009, 03:20 PM
dpj0122

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chokingdogs View Post
love, loathe, or feel indifferent towards pollin, and regardless of his initial or subsequent intentions and feelings towards the capitals, there are three undeniable facts with respect to pollin and hockey in washington.

he brought a team here. he didnt sell/move the team when it was on life support. when he did finally sell it, he sold it to a person who, on the surface, professed their desire and commitment to keeping them here and bringing a cup.

as for the "deal" pollin "foisted" onto teddy, well, thats a big joke.

whatever money the caps, as a singular business entity were losing over the years, was more than offset by the 44% ownership teddy's group had in WSE.
Your second and third "facts" aren't facts, they are conjecture. And your first fact assumes that the Caps were on life support during the Save the Caps era when many think that was just Pollin extorting a better deal from the county.

Old
11-25-2009, 03:23 PM
strungout
Professional Killer

Who let this guy into the funeral home?

strungout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2009, 03:25 PM
dpj0122

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millhaus View Post
After watching what the city went through to get a baseball team to think that they would have gone through the same to get a hockey team is ludicrous IMO. Pollin paid for out of his own pocket not 1 but 2 arenas for his teams. If he never spent a single penny more than what the teams actually brought in on his teams he would still be a gold star owner because of the arenas. Many think that because Pollin did that and that Cooke built FedEx Field that that kind of thing isn't very unusual but that is completely not the case.

A
You have a very low standard for owners. The goal of an owner is to have winning teams. Pollin failied miserably on that score. And what is ludicrous is suggesting that the MLB experience, which occurred only because Angelos held the whip hand, would have been replicated with the NBA and NHL. Baltimore doesn't have a team in either league, in case you hadn't noticed. You would have been more astute the raise the absence of an arena if Pollin hadn't built one. But that would have been done in a market like this too.

Old
11-25-2009, 03:26 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpj0122 View Post
You have a very low standard for owners. The goal of an owner is to have winning teams. Pollin failied miserably on that score. And what is ludicrous is suggesting that the MLB experience, which occurred only because Angelos held the whip hand, would have been replicated with the NBA and NHL. Baltimore doesn't have a team in either league, in case you hadn't noticed. You would have been more astute the raise the absence of an arena if Pollin hadn't built one. But that would have been done in a market like this too.
According to who? Many owners only care about profit margin. Teams are financial assets.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2009, 03:44 PM
dpj0122

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
According to who? Many owners only care about profit margin. Teams are financial assets.
I don't buy that. Owners differ in their capacity to spend money on their teams. But I really don't think there are any owners that don't want to win.

Old
11-25-2009, 03:54 PM
PuckBuddy
Green for Selke

actually, forbes has been putting out a nice series of articles on the financial aspects of the NHL. the short answer is that teams can be both equity and a business.

as the numbers on the rangers and leafs bear out, winning hockey games and turning a profit aren't strongly correlated, especially for established franchises.

http://www.forbes.com/2008/10/29/nhl...r=contextstory

PuckBuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2009, 04:05 PM
dpj0122

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuckBuddy View Post
actually, forbes has been putting out a nice series of articles on the financial aspects of the NHL. the short answer is that teams can be both equity and a business.

as the numbers on the rangers and leafs bear out, winning hockey games and turning a profit aren't strongly correlated, especially for established franchises.

http://www.forbes.com/2008/10/29/nhl...r=contextstory
Actually, the Redskins are a pretty good example of that. I mean, Snyder and the Redskins make more money that any other pro franchise except the Yankees. Yet does anyone consider him a successful owner? Not in my book. It is all about the Ws. Which is why Pollin wasn't a successful owner. Giving money to charity and building arenas don't make a successful owner. Winning championships does.

Old
11-25-2009, 04:18 PM
PuckBuddy
Green for Selke

Quote:
Giving money to charity and building arenas don't make a successful owner. Winning championships does.
i only give my money to charity when destinee has the night off.

PuckBuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2009, 04:19 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
I don't buy that. Owners differ in their capacity to spend money on their teams. But I really don't think there are any owners that don't want to win.
Well, it's typically not like Major League, where owners don't want to win. Many simply don't care. Like I said, if it's a profitable asset, some couldn't care less about winning.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2009, 04:22 PM
Millhaus

Quote:
...And what is ludicrous is suggesting that the MLB experience, which occurred only because Angelos held the whip hand, would have been replicated with the NBA and NHL...
I am not talking about the SchmO's I am talking about making the city foot the bill for the stadium, which is the norm in professional sports in this country, and if the city balks at the idea the owners threaten to move the team until they get what they want. Pollin built his own arenas. For you to not realize or appreciate how rare that is and what a huge investment it is says a lot IMO.

Millhaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2009, 05:19 PM
RandyHolt
Opposite George = GM

vCash: 50
protesters at funerals is a bizarro thing indeed

RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2009, 05:23 PM
Chokingdogs

Quote:
one, or thousands, could make a case that snyder doesnt want to win.

the only winning he's concerned about, as priority #1, is winning when he makes a deposit into his bank account.

either that or he's the dumbest owner alive when it comes to setting up the back office of an nfl football team, or vincent has pictures of him with several farm animals in various states of undress.

Chokingdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2009, 09:10 PM
TransatlanticIce

Please, let's not hijack this thread into dissing Dan Snyder. I hate his guts, but that's not who this thread is about. I kinda had a love/hate feeling about Pollin, since the only championship he won was the NBA Championship for the Bullets in '78, and nothing else much in terms of winning teams, and that he cared more about basketball and philanthropy than hockey. And we cannot forget it was Pollin who single-handedly kept the Capitals from moving away in '82 with the acquisition of Rod Langway, Doug Jarvis, Craig Laughlin, and Brian Engblom. RIP Abe Pollin, this is a great loss for the city of Washington, and I wish Leonsis and the Pollin family the best in moving on. Sports in Washington will not be the same with Abe's passing.

TransatlanticIce is offline   Reply With Quote