HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Basic skating questions.

Old
12-01-2009, 10:39 PM
CuteHockeyBunny

vCash: 500
I started my breaking self-teaching lessons with the 1 o'clock, 11 o'clock stop. This, in my opinion, is the best way to start to learn how to break as it effectively teaches you how to apply the edges to slow you down and eventually, make you stop on a dime. Once you master the edges on one foot, you can start trying parallel stops and it'll be an hour or two before you learn the parallel stop, at least, in my case.

CuteHockeyBunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2009, 10:39 PM
deanosaur

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoTeamDom View Post
This may sound dumb, but are your skated tied on properly? The top of yoru skate should be as tight as possible
Uhh no it doesn't.

deanosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2009, 01:13 AM
nyr33

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoTeamDom View Post
This may sound dumb, but are your skated tied on properly? The top of yoru skate should be as tight as possible
ABSOLUTLY NOT!!!! this kills your ability to flex your ankle and knee.

Stopping has a lot to do with knee bend and learning edge control can be difficult.

Laura stamm's power skating book is amazing, it will help you with everything from drills to properly lacing your skates, i picked it up on amazon for like 6 bucks, it may be the best 6 bucks ive ever spent

nyr33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2009, 12:04 AM
backhander

Quote:
Originally Posted by XxLidstromxX View Post
So I have been playing since summer, I go play rec hockey every now and then. While I have been skating, I have noticed some stuff that I have some questions on.

1. When I try to turn sharply, my skates skip a lot and it's really uncomfortable, what's wrong?
2. When I attempt to stop, my skates slide to much or don't slide enough and I end up falling what's up with that?
3. When I do my crossovers my skates slip out from underneath me, any tips?

P.S. I just got my skates sharpened 2 weeks ago and only hit the ice 3 or 4 times since then.

Thanks.

take lessons from a personal coach...or find a friend that is better than you to help you out on the ice....and skate skate skate a lot...go to public skates and play as much as you can...maybe take up some roller to help with skating technique...good luck

backhander is offline   Reply With Quote