HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Gainey willing to negotiate with Plekanec before summer

Old
11-25-2009, 07:17 AM
MathMan

vCash: 500
Gainey willing to negotiate with Plekanec before summer

http://www.cyberpresse.ca/sports/hoc...avant-lete.php

Quoth Gainey: "Last year the policy was dictated by economic reasons. We had a lot of players going UFA and we feared that the salary cap would go down more than it did. Thus we needed to keep as much leeway as possible. This year will be different. There are fewer players in the same situation and economic conditions seem stable."

Not bad for a guy so many wanted traded in the summer, huh? Remember, though, league rules stipulate that they cannot sign anything before January.

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2009, 07:20 AM
Coldplay
Courage

lol this is a first.

Coldplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2009, 07:24 AM
WestIslander

I am glad!

Plekanec = 5 years / 20 million dollars
Metropolit = 3 years / 3.75 million dollars

WestIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2009, 07:25 AM
Coldplay
Courage

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestIslander View Post
I am glad!

The way Metro is going, he might make as much as a good 3rd liner, meaning 2-2.5 million...which could price him out for us. Not sure what he'll get, but at his pace, 2 is a fair number to point for (if I were his agent).

Coldplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2009, 07:28 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Depending on what Pouliot does and where he plays that might make Metropolit expendable. Trotter and Maxwell also come in that conversation as does Lapierre(if he can get his game back).

I'd like to see Plekanec signed for 4-5 years at about 4 mil but his agent might jump all over his early start and ask for 5 mil. IMHO he is a quality 2nd line player on a contender.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2009, 07:32 AM
Civilizedworm

This is good news. If Turtlepleks isn't signed by the deadline he needs to be dealt because he will walk. No way his agent lets him accept a home town discount.

He also seems the type of player that excels when he knows he's appreciated.

Civilizedworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2009, 07:34 AM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Depending on what Pouliot does and where he plays that might make Metropolit expendable. Trotter and Maxwell also come in that conversation as does Lapierre(if he can get his game back).

I'd like to see Plekanec signed for 4-5 years at about 4 mil but his agent might jump all over his early start and ask for 5 mil. IMHO he is a quality 2nd line player on a contender.
He's now a PPG player (24 in 24) and he played 75% of the season with a struggling Andrei and revolving wingers who weren't producing.

At this point, he's a top-20 centre in the league, IMO.
Posted via Mobile Device

One Man Rock Band is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2009, 07:36 AM
maci4life

trade him now. his market value is as high as you'll get from him.

maci4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2009, 07:45 AM
Lestriker

Send a message via MSN to Lestriker
Quote:
Originally Posted by maci4life View Post
No. Sign him long-term. You don't trade a home grown talent that paid his dues (AHL) and then succeeds. It sends the wrong message to the org. youngsters.

Lestriker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2009, 07:46 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by maci4life View Post
Because he isn't signed beyond this season,I doubt teams overpay for him.We also can't really afford to lose Plekanec,we have no one in our system that can come up and take his spot.Pleks is a really important player for this team,I just hope he wants to stay here and takes a little discount

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestIslander View Post
I am glad!

The problem I have with Metro is that if the Habs wanna move forward and play our young players like Pyatt and White,then there will be no spot on the roster for a guy like Metro.He has done really well since being acquired by Gainey but the way he is playing right now,Gainey might consider moving him at the deadline for a pick,witch wouldn't be that bad considering we picked him up via waivers.Some teams are going to be in the market for that type of player at the deadline

Last edited by Habs10Habs: 11-25-2009 at 08:28 AM. Reason: Merge
Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2009, 07:51 AM
GoodKiwi

Well, the good news is that our sleeping beauty has finally awaken.

The bad news is that if Plekanec continues his PPG pace, his agent will easily milk us for 5m cap hit on a multi-year term. Can we afford that? I don't know.

Plekanec does not strike me as a player who will take a hometown discount and I would not blame him for that. Just happy for Tomas.

GoodKiwi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2009, 07:51 AM
kent_carlson

I hope Gainey will wait. The big concern with Pleks remains: can he keep playing like that in the playoffs.

kent_carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2009, 07:53 AM
Civilizedworm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lestriker View Post
No. Sign him long-term. You don't trade a home grown talent that paid his dues (AHL) and then succeeds. It sends the wrong message to the org. youngsters.
I agree with this statement. However, Montreal is in a pecular situation. Gomez isn't going anywhere. On top of that, we really need a big center, which Turtlepleks isn't. Not only that, Turtlepleks' value right now is at it's highest. His value will only keep rising as the deadline approaches and he keeps up his solid play.

Whatever happens with Turtlepleks, whether he gets dealt or signs a long term deal, this is a win-win situation for Montreal.

Initially I was convinced he would be dealt at the deadline, given Gainey's relunctance to sign players during the season. However, with what he just stated, I don't know.

Either way, I think Montreal is in a win-win situation.

Civilizedworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2009, 07:56 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by kent_carlson View Post
I hope Gainey will wait. The big concern with Pleks remains: can he keep playing like that in the playoffs.
He had a bad year last year and he admitted it,the previous year in 12 games he had 9 points and played very well,he didn't get many points against the Flyers but Biron was full of you know what and had we been a little more lucky he would have been a ppg player in the playoffs.

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2009, 08:01 AM
sandman08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldplay View Post
lol this is a first.
koivu was signed mid-season to an extension a few years back...

sandman08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2009, 08:07 AM
kent_carlson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
He had a bad year last year and he admitted it,the previous year in 12 games he had 9 points and played very well,he didn't get many points against the Flyers but Biron was full of you know what and had we been a little more lucky he would have been a ppg player in the playoffs.
In 3 PO, he was average, good and bad, so not a sure shot for someone who's gonna get big money. On the other hand, we don't have any replacement in the system. So start the negotiations, but don't rush the conclusion.

kent_carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2009, 08:20 AM
Pascal

Plek is playing like a top 20 C in the league right now. He is doing everything right on the ice. He'll cost. Not sure we even have the space..

Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2009, 08:24 AM
Ginu

This has the makings of a 2-year $3.5-3.75M contract so Pleks can show what he can do with a bigger contract over a short duration. If he maintains this level, you give him the big bucks after 2 years. IMO he should be making around what Vermette makes, slightly more. Yes he's playing like a top 20 centre right now, but you can't discount the inconsistency of last year. $4M+ is too much right now.

Ginu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2009, 08:28 AM
GoodKiwi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginu View Post
This has the makings of a 2-year $3.5-3.75M contract so Pleks can show what he can do with a bigger contract over a short duration. If he maintains this level, you give him the big bucks after 2 years. IMO he should be making around what Vermette makes, slightly more. Yes he's playing like a top 20 centre right now, but you can't discount the inconsistency of last year. $4M+ is too much right now.
There is no way Plekanec will accept a two year deal at that money. Or a two year deal period. His agent is not stupid. The player is in his prime, coming off what looks to be a career year so far. He will try to cash in now and not in two years.

GoodKiwi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2009, 08:30 AM
Hermamoud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldplay View Post
lol this is a first.
Gainey said in his PC that two years ago, he negotiated with a player in september for a contract extension but it has never materialized. Also, Koivu. So it's not a first.

Hermamoud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2009, 08:34 AM
CrewkHead

Plekaneige>>>>>>>>>>>Lecavalier

Give him 12 year 84 millions!

CrewkHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2009, 08:36 AM
Rooooooooooxxxanne*

I definitely did not like the way he treated players like Koivu and Kovalev last summer (Waiting till free agency). There needs to be some respect for players like that, especially Koivu, a guy who gave his heart and soul for Montreal. To be treated the way he was, I would have done the same and not bothered coming back, I would expect some type of respect and loyalty from my team after what Koivu and the Habs went through.

Frankly, I will be surprised to see Plekanec play here after his contract is over.

Rooooooooooxxxanne* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2009, 08:37 AM
RC51

OK before everyone goes nuts on a BIG Pleks new contract, lets find out what the habs can get for him. It seems he is worth from4-5 mil per and a 3-4 year contract. SO offers for him should be sky high right now. Let find out if Pleks can fetch a top center prospect and a 1st and 2nd rounder.

RC51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2009, 08:45 AM
The n00b King
Kingin' since 2003

Quote:
Originally Posted by natey2k4 View Post
He's now a PPG player (24 in 24) and he played 75% of the season with a struggling Andrei and revolving wingers who weren't producing.

At this point, he's a top-20 centre in the league, IMO.
Posted via Mobile Device
it doesnt have to be "in your opinion", because he is.

He currently sits at the 18th position in scoring.

1) You dont trade your best player in the midst of a playoff hunt (especially if we're in the top 8)

2) Metrop will most likely get to walk. Everyone loves him, but he's a journeyman hockey player. That's his career. He'll better serve someone else. HOWEVER, he will NOT be traded at the deadline because he's the kind of guy you go to war with. He will be very important come playoff time.

3) Pleks will get his due. 3 year contract at ~4M$ year. Maybe a bit less because of the current salary situation in habs land. Once that's better, he'll get an extension with a raise.

4) Please give it up with "We need a big center!!1!!1" ****. This isnt 1999. You need players who are willing to get the job done and who stick to the system. The habs are getting there. Oh and solid goaltending will get you far.

Last edited by The n00b King: 11-25-2009 at 08:51 AM.
The n00b King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2009, 08:45 AM
TheCH*

Loyalty works both ways and Gainey didn't show any for Plek this off season. I fear he will test the market and will get a bigger offer than the habs can match because of that stupid Gomez deal.

TheCH* is offline   Reply With Quote