HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Playoff Thoughts thus far..

Closed Thread

Old
04-14-2004, 04:15 PM
HotToddy

vCash: 500
Playoff Thoughts thus far..

Flames vs Canucks -Calgary makes a series of it. Things just aren't going Canucks way, another significant injury (which is a real possibility the way Calgary are hitting them) and the West Coast is toast. Why is is when Duane Sutter calls somebody out, they respond? Could it be his players really, really like him. This one goes seven and I have no idea who wins.

Leafs vs Sens -Toronto rolls the Sens here on, I wouldn't be shocked if TO wins in 5 (much as I'd hate to see that). Someday the Sens organization is going to realize that Alfie/Havlat/Hossa/Bonk/Bondra are all more or less different degrees of the same players. You need leather faced veterens like Roberts or Joe Nieuendyk to score when the going gets tough. And the playoffs are tough. Belfour does what he always does, plays the percentages by cutting off the most net possible with the least amount of energy. Never gets out of position and never lets a goal get him too down. Sens better get to the net, pay the price and score some hard goals. Never mind your 45 perimeter shots and "we just need the breaks" whine. Buck up, I don't need to see the Leafs for another round.

Habs vs Bruins - How do you like them Karmapples Habs fan? If your gonna roll on the ice acting like an stiletto entered your vital organs everytime your touched, than you derserve to be embarrased like last night. Kovalev will probably never play in the league after this season. Who wants a softie like that on their team? Diving has reached the realm of the absurd. Everytime a stick even nicks a players face the reaction is a head-on accident-worthy, head whip, followed by the grasping of the face and the obligatory "check my lips for blood". Great game last night though. I might be the only one and I know he's having a great series but I just don't like Sergie Samsanov. His egg beater skating style make it look like he's always hustling even when he's not, he stays on the perimeter most of the game and he gets knocked down constantly.

Old
04-14-2004, 04:17 PM
Boondock Saint

Did anyone else find it fitting that Kovalev's embellished injury lost the game for the Habs, years after his faked injury in New York cost the Nordiques a game in the playoffs???

Ain't karma a *****???

Old
04-14-2004, 04:46 PM
Oilers Hockey

Van/Cgy - I admit I haven't been watching much of this series, because I despise both teams almost equally. Indifferent.

I've been watching the Eastern Canadian games, especially Bruins/Habs, and I have to say writhing on the ice pretending to be injured then taunting the opponents bench was pretty stupid, as it probably gave the Bruins even more resolve to win. Theodore is playing nothing like the guy who was a huge part of the Upset of 2002. On top of that, the Habs are letting themselves get pushed off the puck so easily that they can't get any quality chances.

Toronto and Ottawa hasn't been as great as I initially thought it would be.

Old
04-14-2004, 10:55 PM
Mr Sakich

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boondock Saint
Did anyone else find it fitting that Kovalev's embellished injury lost the game for the Habs, years after his faked injury in New York cost the Nordiques a game in the playoffs???

Ain't karma a *****???
you have an awesome memory.

I didn't watch the game but saw the injury on tsn.ca and it looked like a real injury. Tonight, CBC showed the whole play and it is obvious that he was embellashing a tap on the arm. That whole play was poetic justice and it must drive the old guys (past Hab greats) crazy. It is one thing to lose but to lose in such a pathetic manner is downright emberassing to a once-proud organization.

Sucks to be a Hab fan right now.

Old
04-15-2004, 12:51 AM
Boondock Saint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sakich
I didn't watch the game but saw the injury on tsn.ca and it looked like a real injury. Tonight, CBC showed the whole play and it is obvious that he was embellashing a tap on the arm. That whole play was poetic justice and it must drive the old guys (past Hab greats) crazy. It is one thing to lose but to lose in such a pathetic manner is downright emberassing to a once-proud organization.
I agree 100%.

I'm not even questioning whether or not that slash hurt. It probably did, or Kovalev wouldn't have coughed up the puck on his own blueline.

But, I think of what a guy like Moreau would have done. I think you could break both of his arms, and he still wouldn't have quit on that play.

Any player who quits because of a little slash on the glove is the kind of player I want no part of here in Edmonton. Stuff like this makes me appreciate guys like Smytty, Staios, Gator, Chopper and Ulanov even more.

Old
04-15-2004, 01:01 AM
The Rage

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotToddy

Someday the Sens organization is going to realize that Alfie/Havlat/Hossa/Bonk/Bondra are all more or less different degrees of the same players. You need leather faced veterens like Roberts or Joe Nieuendyk to score when the going gets tough.
I actually agree with you here (which usually isn't the case). I mean seriously, they have alot of trading chips they can use to get great playoff warriors. Until they do that, they won't win anything. They are my second team though, so I hope I'm wrong.

Old
04-15-2004, 01:07 AM
Cloned
Sexy Genesis

I think Calgary will win the series in 7. More grit and physical play. Also the Canucks are getting no secondary scoring, and Cloutier is out. Hedberg doesn't seem ready to step up.

I really wanted Montreal to win... really. They had the game in hand too, until Julien didn't put Perrault out for the d-zone faceoff AND the blown offside call with the empty net AND the Kovalev incident. Just some bad luck and decision-making all around. Boston will win now.

Ottawa makes it interesting. If they beat TO, they have a good chance of beating any other teams down the road. Really hoping for a Sens series win.

Tampa Bay... does anyone else get reminded of Oilers hockey back in the heyday when they watch this team play? Uptempo, offensive-minded system with talented and speedy players on three scoring lines. If they had a bit more grit, they would be considered favourites for the Cup.

Old
04-15-2004, 01:22 AM
Dangerdanger

Anyone else think that all ottawa needs right now is ryan smyth to beat toronto. I mean, how good is he at getting in belfour's way, and ottawa doesn't really have anyone that can do that.

Old
04-15-2004, 01:29 AM
tylerr

Send a message via MSN to tylerr
They should put Chara in front of him.

Old
04-15-2004, 02:40 AM
trenton1
Paille Good

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotToddy
I might be the only one and I know he's having a great series but I just don't like Sergie Samsanov. His egg beater skating style make it look like he's always hustling even when he's not, he stays on the perimeter most of the game and he gets knocked down constantly.
Wow. I'll give you points for originality there. I think I'd like Samsonov even if I wasn't a Bruins fan, he's an honest hard working player IMO. If he really didn't hustle, he would've been run out of Boston a long time ago. That's one thing we are really good at here.

Old
04-15-2004, 03:01 AM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

Random Thoughts:

I still want Cal and Van to beat each other's brain's in. Series goes 7, don't care who wins because I hate them both indescribably. Next series they lose in 5 max.

T-Bay and Ottawa still look good, Philly might surprise me. PLEASE don't let Toronto steal that series Hossa.

A whole lot of completely irrelevant series this year.

I really don't think the West will produce a winner.

Old
04-15-2004, 03:58 AM
Hans Moleman
Was saying Boortuzzi

The 3-0 games between the isles and tampa are what really get me. Such an odd score to go four straight games with.

Old
04-15-2004, 04:26 AM
choppystride

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloned
I think Calgary will win the series in 7. More grit and physical play. Also the Canucks are getting no secondary scoring, and Cloutier is out. Hedberg doesn't seem ready to step up.

I really wanted Montreal to win... really. They had the game in hand too, until Julien didn't put Perrault out for the d-zone faceoff AND the blown offside call with the empty net AND the Kovalev incident. Just some bad luck and decision-making all around. Boston will win now.

Ottawa makes it interesting. If they beat TO, they have a good chance of beating any other teams down the road. Really hoping for a Sens series win.

Tampa Bay... does anyone else get reminded of Oilers hockey back in the heyday when they watch this team play? Uptempo, offensive-minded system with talented and speedy players on three scoring lines. If they had a bit more grit, they would be considered favourites for the Cup.
If OTT loses to TO, they'll have no one to blame but themselves. It was so obvious that they needed more gritty forwards, and guys like Simon & Barnaby were there for the taking. But instead they added an ageing softie in Bondra. Anyway, I still hope they beat the Leafs.

TB has looked good so far...but then anyone would look good against an AHL-calibre goalie.

Besides me, does anyone else also think that Theodore is the most overrated goalie in the league? OK, maybe not as overrated as Giguere, but pretty close.

I think CGY can be this year's Cinderella team. They're not too skilled but they can just run you out of the rink. I'm not sure if there's a team in the West right now that can withstand their pounding.

Whoever coming out of the East will have to go thru Philly, and I'm not sure if anyone can make it thru those guys...

SJ continues to baffle me. I still don't understand why they're doing so well.

COL has looked excellent so far. It seems like they have all the pieces. If only they can get Forsberg more rest (he doesn't seem 100%) & find Sakic some decent wingers (when's Kariya coming back?) who can think on the same wavelength as he...

Last edited by choppystride: 04-15-2004 at 04:45 AM.
Old
04-15-2004, 04:31 AM
YKOil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemsky_Gretzky
Anyone else think that all ottawa needs right now is ryan smyth to beat toronto. I mean, how good is he at getting in belfour's way, and ottawa doesn't really have anyone that can do that.
I was more than a little surprised that Ottawa didn't make an unbelievable offer for Smyth to tell you the truth. That team is deep everywhere but on the LW and Smyth would have given them a set of forwards that no one else could match (I am also, btw, more than happy to keep Smyth and I remain committed to seeing both him and Smith in Oiler blues next year as long as the price is right).

As far as the series go:

- the moment Raycroft proved he could play in the play-offs Montreal was done - far too many of their forwards are far too small and guys like Komisarek aren't ready yet.

- New Jersey, without Stevens, was never a threat - that team has always relied on the Brodeur/Stevens marraige and the moment that fails so do they

- Turco is not a play-off calibre goalie - which I only mention so that I can say yet again when Salo became dead to me as an Oiler: last year in the play-offs when Dallas was VERY vulnerable and Salo couldn't get it done

- Calgary >> Vancouver - while next year may be a different story right now Calgary is riding Kipper magic

- Ottawa... please, please, please win - I hate TO

If Ottawa can take down their nemesis TO then I can see them going all the way to the finals... though winning it may be another matter.

YKOil

Old
04-15-2004, 06:12 AM
Pablo Aimar

Playoff Thoughts

- If the leafs beat the sens, they will go out in the next round. If Ottawa beats them, the sens will win the cup. I think (hope) that the sens will win the next two and then steamroll their way to the final.

- Philly looks good. If the sens go out, they will get to the finals from the east. Also, Handzus needs to get a freakin haircut.

- The Flames will beat the Canucks and will then proceed to be destroyed by whomever they play in the next round.

- The avs will reach the finals from the West. That overrated peice of junk Turco has been outplayed, which is great because I hate the Stars.

- Montreal has outplayed the Bruins but Theodore has been awful. Yes, he just might be the most overrated player in the league; I still can't believe he won the hart over Iggy. Robbery.

- The Islanders stink.

- We would have beaten Detroit. Nashville, however, will lose in 6.

Last edited by Pablo Aimar: 04-15-2004 at 06:16 AM.
Old
04-15-2004, 08:59 AM
Mr Sakich

I had a dream last night - Vancouver and Toronto playing for the Stanley Cup. It is very possible.

Old
04-15-2004, 09:06 AM
dawgbone

Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sakich
I had a dream last night - Vancouver and Toronto playing for the Stanley Cup. It is very possible.

No it's not...

If the leafs have shown anything so far it's that they need Ed Belfour to win 4 games for them in a series. If they had even gotten great goaltending instead of incredible goaltending, the series would be over right now.

Old
04-15-2004, 11:06 AM
speeds

A PHI Cup win would give EDM arguably the 2 worst draft picks possible from the first round:

-last pick from the non-playoff teams, meaning EDM doesn't make the playoffs AND gets a mid level draft pick

-last pick of the first round.

PHI is looking pretty good right now though, no doubt about it.

Old
04-15-2004, 12:38 PM
Matts

Yk

Kommisarek is a HS right now though maybe he draws in if Quintal can't go tonight.

As for the guy who said it was fitting that the Habs lost because of the fakery, I think it's fitting anytime those guys lose. I see a lot of rah rah Canadian teams stuff here and I guess I can understand it a little because you guys all have one another to talk Oilers with and unlike myself you didn't grow up with arrogant Habs fans.

In fact I hate the Habs fans more than the Leaves fans. The latter are like BoSox fans. They always hope for the best but it doesn't take much for them to turn on their own team because they've become accoustomed to losing. But Habs fans think they are a serious contender just because they make the playoffs.

Granted, I want both teams out of the playoffs as soon as possible. The only Can team I can stomach is the Sens and that would change if CBC made the error of letting Millen call their playoff games. Him and that idiot Don Brennan make me want to hate Ottawa but I just can't do it

Anyway I'm loving the first round and the sting of the Oilers missing has pretty much disappated. As for Mike's point that we could get the worst two possible 1st rounders given our situation, I'm sure Lowe will do his best to try and trade up.

Or what I mean is I'm sure he'll do his best to convince the media he did

Here's my summary of the playoff series and who I think has a chance

NJ vs Phil: the former aren't contenders without Stevens. The latter has IMO the second most depth on forward lines outside of Ott's but Esche doesn't have the pedigree that suggets a three or four round run. I'm a guy that has to see it to believe it so maybe Esche has it in him but I don't think he could stop Ott or TO if they were healthy.

Bos/Mtl: Raycroft looks damn good but Joe T is hurt so that hampers their dppth and a guy like Gill can look super slow at times. Big step for the B's though that they now have a tender. They have tonnes of FA's but they also have a great 1-2 pivot combo in Bergeron-JoeT. Strong up the middle

TB: I like the way they play but could they beat Ott or TO? I severly doubt it. It would make them play more physical

Det: Maybe Joseph's time has passed as a game stealer. Those odds are even more elongated now that he's expected to come back from injury and excel in the supercharged atmos of the playoffs

Dal/Col: Can Abeschier hold up? No matter what you think of Lalime I'd take him over the Swiss Guy. Belfour is the best goalie outside of Brodeur and right now he's playing better. Dal's defense is simply no great shakes. No sydor, no hatch and Mathvichuk seems to be aging by the shift. I can't believe they had such a run in the second half. and this is two years in a row Turco's second season play can be questioned

SJ: they could pull a Ducks run, I think. seems to be the same kind of deal where everyone is making sacricifes. I mean Sutter just about murdered Koroluk when he was in SJ and there was that kid last night eating nails. The best way to describe this team is they play with total desperation. people say that you can't play liek you're afraid to lose, well the Sharks play like they are afraid they won't win. I mean it's blood and sweat every shift. plsu that top four of Stuart-Hannan-McLaren-Rathje are just huge. they don't lean on Nabakov as much as Ana did on Jiggy and that's a good thing

Cgy/Van" cgy plays close to the same style as Sj but they have less talent and lean more on their netminder. two goals allowed by Kiprsuoff and the Flames are in trouble

So that leaves me to Ott and TO. Lalime might not hold the fort for the Sens in a chips down game but they have wicked depth up front. even now with Belfour playing wicked hockey you still have alfie creating chances and Hossa too. it's a matter of time before they crack belfour. now it's uo to Lalime to hold down TO when they do

Cherry is right, put Joe N with Mogilny and the Leaves would have two lines that can score plus servicable guys like Domi and Fitzgerald. mccabe and Leetch are meshing and Klee seems to calm down Kaberle

Like I said, I think the Cup's gonna be decided on April 21st in G7 of Sens/Leaves.

Last edited by Matts: 04-15-2004 at 12:43 PM.
Old
04-15-2004, 02:45 PM
kruezer

Hey, I'll add some random playoff thoughts while we're at it...

Philly has been great, NJD seems to be sliding into an up one year and down the next scenario, so look out next year. Esche is going to be the goalie that changes things in Philly I think, if Clarke will just leave him be if he happens to have a bad series in the next couple years. The Philly crowd was insane the first couple games.

TB is playing great (which rocks cause I got Khabi in the PO pool) the whole 3-0 thing is gettin a little creepy, but hey. Ricky D hasn't been spectacular, but decent, he still is the future in NYI, and will be good.

Ottawa will take out TO I think, it will be hard fought, TO is just not quite able to do it again I think, Ott will go to the CF, they just have too this year, they gotta get Spezza more ice though, I thought he was pretty good last game.

Raycroft owns, Montreal is in trouble, Theo will be fine though, he's just having one bad round, I'm calling him stealing a cup for Montreal in 2006 (you heard it here first ) MTL has to win at least one cup a decade, so thats when I call it for them. Both these teams have good futures, but neither will get past the 2nd round depending on who wins.

Detroit is having trouble with Nash, which figures, you can't mess with Nash in the 'Ville, that crowd was just insane, but Detroit has home ice so they'll take this one in 7.

Colorado is going to win the cup, I'm sticking with that call I've had since the start of the year. Abby will be great, Svatos is dynamite, Forsberg and Sakic are just too dominant and Blake and Foote are awesome, they're just too good, Dallas can't handle them, and Turco is very good.

SJ is just insane, STL just can't handle them, I really don't know what to think about this, I don't see SJ getting past Detroit or Colorado, but if they get their path cleared for them a little they could sneak into the third round at least.

Calgary, what can I say, they look great, I still think they'll trade games all series and CGY will run out of games and the 'Nucks will take it in 7, but Calgary is showing them whats up and can have a reason to come back with a vengeance next year, not have them go to the cup and think their all that and they miss the POs next year.

Closed Thread