HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Afanasenkov's price?

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-13-2004, 07:57 PM
  #1
electric
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Back from Italy
Country: Canada
Posts: 770
vCash: 500
Afanasenkov's price?

How much do you think the Bolts would ask for Afanasenkov?

electric is offline  
Old
04-13-2004, 08:33 PM
  #2
outKast*
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,664
vCash: 500
a good prospect or two second rounders.

outKast* is offline  
Old
04-13-2004, 09:26 PM
  #3
TVanek26*
 
TVanek26*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Buffalo,New York
Country: United States
Posts: 8,583
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to TVanek26*
Quote:
Originally Posted by outKast
a good prospect or two second rounders.

And they would be laughed at for about a month.He has 18 career points at age 23.At most a 3rd,and that is still overpayment.

TVanek26* is offline  
Old
04-14-2004, 12:06 AM
  #4
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod
 
barrytrotzsneck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Nashville, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 31,175
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by outKast
a good prospect or two second rounders.
really? because that's what nashville paid for sullivan...so...by that logic...

afanasenkov >= sullivan?

i like Dmitry, but that's pretty silly. there's no reason to trade him, though. he's showing some decent upside and he's cheap. he's one of those "worth more than you could get for him" guys.

__________________
www.thepredatorial.com

barrytrotzsneck is offline  
Old
04-15-2004, 01:33 PM
  #5
GoBolts
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Dallas Eakins' Hometown
Posts: 118
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomorekids
he's one of those "worth more than you could get for him" guys.
Exactly. He's not going anywhere for now.

That being said, when Stillman went down with an injury last night, Afanasenkov took his place on Lecavalier's line and didn't embarrass himself. If Stillman is out a while (which is doubtful) and Affy shines, the Lightning management may have to make some decisions over the summer. But his value would rest solely on his performance over the next few weeks, presuming the Bolts last that long.

GoBolts is offline  
Old
04-15-2004, 02:11 PM
  #6
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Darth Milbury's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Searching for Kvasha
Country: Bosnia and Herzegovina
Posts: 38,130
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomorekids
really? because that's what nashville paid for sullivan...so...by that logic...

afanasenkov >= sullivan?

i like Dmitry, but that's pretty silly. there's no reason to trade him, though. he's showing some decent upside and he's cheap. he's one of those "worth more than you could get for him" guys.

I appreciate your point, but this is a bit of an apples and oranges comparisons. The Preds paid the price for a well-established winger who could facilitate their impressive playoff run. If a team paid for Afanasenkov, they'd be doing it based on his potential. So, while Afanasenkov is certainly not as valuable as Sullivan NOW, his trade value COULD (but probably isn't) still be similar.

__________________
Man, do I ever miss Oleg Kvasha. If Oleg was here, everything would be OK.
Darth Milbury is offline  
Old
04-15-2004, 02:35 PM
  #7
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod
 
barrytrotzsneck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Nashville, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 31,175
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Milbury
I appreciate your point, but this is a bit of an apples and oranges comparisons. The Preds paid the price for a well-established winger who could facilitate their impressive playoff run. If a team paid for Afanasenkov, they'd be doing it based on his potential. So, while Afanasenkov is certainly not as valuable as Sullivan NOW, his trade value COULD (but probably isn't) still be similar.

i know what you're saying...but afanasenkov isn't exactly a young, high-regarded prospect. up until this season, a lot of people wondered if he'd ever make it out of the AHL. he's looked promising at times, yes...but he's still largely unproven. you wouldn't say that harold druken could command two second rounders, would you? i think it's a similar case. druken looked pretty good at times in the NHL, but never put together a season or even a half a season of consistent play.

where is he, now?

barrytrotzsneck is offline  
Old
04-16-2004, 11:34 AM
  #8
Beukeboom Fan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 11,596
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomorekids
i know what you're saying...but afanasenkov isn't exactly a young, high-regarded prospect. up until this season, a lot of people wondered if he'd ever make it out of the AHL. he's looked promising at times, yes...but he's still largely unproven. you wouldn't say that harold druken could command two second rounders, would you? i think it's a similar case. druken looked pretty good at times in the NHL, but never put together a season or even a half a season of consistent play.

where is he, now?
That is the chance you take.

I think that the Sullivan comparison is a very bad one however. SS is 30YO, makes $3M, and has arbitration rights. He could very easily be a $4M player next year. Add in the Hawks are a bunch of morons (to put it kindly), and it's easy to see why that's not a good baseline for a trade. Much like the Luongo or Yashin trades weren't good baselines for deals, neither is the Sullivan trade.

I didn't see Afanksanov play all that much, so I'm not going to comment on his value. I will say that a team like the Lightning has very little to gain by moving away a young developing player that contributed when he had a chance. It's my understanding that DA had a hard time finishing on scoring chances. So did Martin St. Louis in CAL. BTW, I'm not comparing DA to MSL, but I am saying that a team isn't likely to move a young guy that is showing signs of developing for a 3rd round pick that has about a 20% chance ever to see the NHL.

Beukeboom Fan is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:59 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.