HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Please remove Your Hats

Closed Thread

Old
11-26-2009, 04:25 PM
The Forechecker

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackcoffee View Post
I bolded the one part because that is the part that I was agreeing with you on... Was it really that hard to understand?
Thanks for asking, it actually was hard to understand, it is not customary to expect people in a forum to read your mind. It is also a standard custom, to bold a part of a quote then ask a question or comment about it. I respect your right to post however you want and then make snide comments when people ask about them.

Quote:
But what I ultimately can't believe is that there are people on here blatantly challenging a western custom, and they are for some reason, surprised that this is getting people upset.
I agree.

Last edited by The Forechecker: 11-26-2009 at 04:32 PM.
Old
11-26-2009, 04:26 PM
hmminvisiblecola1279
I just hope we can

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
I do respect my elders, but honestly a lot of the "rules" they put into place are arbitrary and silly.

People worship social norms to the point where they don't even know why they're doing something, they just do it for the sake of doing it.

The other thing is not all old people are gentle little flowers that we should all revere. You have your ass hats in every age categorey. Young people tend to be much more accepting and open to new ideas and in many cases can get along with others that are different from them, yet all older people do is talk **** about how their generation was so much better.
You do have a point, I have dealt with older people who have been rude and impolite. I don't consider one generation to be better than another, however I do respect the traditional gestures of respect.
If people choose not to respect each other or customs then we might as well start flinging our poo at each other.

Old
11-26-2009, 04:27 PM
Soundwave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermassive View Post

By all means, you are free to ignore the customs of polite society. Just don't be surprised when someone, who has even less concern for repercussions from his own actions, decides to make your ignorance his business.

Like the kid sitting in front of me who decided to boo Comrie in the preseason. He was asked nicely several times to stop, and didn't. Then some gruff fellow grabbed him and threatened him with violence. Not surprisingly, no one came to the kid's aid.

What goes around, comes around.
If you pay money to go to a sporting event, you have a right to boo, even Comrie himself said that.

Old
11-26-2009, 04:28 PM
Soundwave

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmminvisiblecola View Post
You do have a point, I have dealt with older people who have been rude and impolite. I don't consider one generation to be better than another, however I do respect the traditional gestures of respect.
If people choose not to respect each other or customs then we might as well start flinging our poo at each other.
It's not really that, it's more of some traditions have practical, day-to-day usefulness, others simply don't and go the way of the dinosaur. And that may just be a tradition in and of itself.

You talk to people who immigrate from India or China and you can see it's balancing act for them balancing old traditions with new ones especially with the younger kids who are born over here.

Probably was no different for settlers from Europe early on either who kept some of the old country traditions, but by and large most them probably went kaput as time went on. I have several Italian friends for instance who are 4th/5th generation and none of them speak Italian whereas their grandparents still do.

It's probably the age old human conundrum of trying to defy/stop/freeze/reverse the flow of time ... it's also ultimately futile. It's like trying to hold water in the palm of your hand.

Old
11-26-2009, 04:30 PM
OilRick

vCash: 5895
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Yeah. This goes into an area much more important than wearing a hat. Its about deference to authority, elders. etc.

This guy shows up to "meet the parents" in full biker garb? Not sure if thats trying to send a chip on shoulder message.

Sounds like not a sole issue of the hat at all and just a power struggle and this guy stubbornly refusing to take off the hat and remove it even though he's in your house and meeting father of the daughter.

I'm interested as well that you were told to behave. I bet this was by your daughter or maybe in sync with mom.

Did anybody tell the wannabe biker to behave himself meeting the family? I note that your daughter asked on your behalf for him to remove the hat and he refused. Thats interesting as well.

Doesn't defer to daughter or her family. hmmm.

signed

Replacement Landers...
Well not quite full biker garb Replacement, a biker leather jacket, biker "Harley" boots, black "Jack Daniels" t-shirt and jeans along with what can best be described as a "goat beard". I was mainly asked to promise by my daughter, as she knows my temperment, ability and quickness to a physical solution to most problems dealing with people. I am only 7 weeks from having the same back surgery as JFJ and I was not too sure if I would be able to give it my best effort.

Thing is my brother in law insulted him after my daughter asked him about 6 or 7 times to remove it, but either he is pretty thick in the head or it was to undermine my "rules". Not too sure which it was but tonight I will see her/them and straighten it out.

Old
11-26-2009, 04:32 PM
Soundwave

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilRick View Post
Well not quite full biker garb Replacement, a biker leather jacket, biker "Harley" boots, black "Jack Daniels" t-shirt and jeans along with what can best be described as a "goat beard". I was mainly asked to promise by my daughter, as she knows my temperment, ability and quickness to a physical solution to most problems dealing with people. I am only 7 weeks from having the same back surgery as JFJ and I was not too sure if I would be able to give it my best effort.

Thing is my brother in law insulted him after my daughter asked him about 6 or 7 times to remove it, but either he is pretty thick in the head or it was to undermine my "rules". Not too sure which it was but tonight I will see her/them and straighten it out.
I would bet dollars to donughts the guy is probably balding and is self conscious about that. And honestly if that's the case, you could be considered a dick for making such a big deal out of it.

Old
11-26-2009, 04:33 PM
Motel

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Forechecker View Post
What right do you have to force your beliefs on others?
The right to vote.

Democracy gives the majority the right to force their beliefs on the minority. There's a bylaw in Sylvan Lake against swearing and spitting ("manners") in public that's pretty heavily enforced on the beach. It wouldn't be that much of a stretch for a municipality to put a bylaw in to follow the etiquette recommended by Heritage Canada.

Old
11-26-2009, 04:34 PM
The Forechecker

Quote:
It's like trying to hold water in the palm of your hand.
So not until the next iceage will it happen?

/eh booo

Old
11-26-2009, 04:35 PM
hmminvisiblecola1279
I just hope we can

Quote:
It's not really that, it's more of some traditions have practical, day-to-day usefulness, others simply don't and go the way of the dinosaur. And that may just be a tradition in and of itself.

You talk to people who immigrate from India or China and you can see it's balancing act for them balancing old traditions with new ones especially with the younger kids who are born over here.

Probably was no different for settlers from Europe early on either who kept some of the old country traditions, but by and large most them probably went kaput.
Very rational thinking and I do agree with you. At this time however many people respect this tradition, I being one of them, maybe over time it will go away, however like I said before don't act surprised when people give you dirty looks or politely ask you to doff your hat.
It is totally different if that particular person is downright rude about it, kind of cancels both of them out doesn't it?

It's probably the age old human conundrum of trying to defy/stop/freeze/reverse the flow of time ... it's also ultimately futile.
Very rational thinking and I do agree with you. At this time however many people respect this tradition, I being one of them, maybe over time it will go away, however like I said before don't act surprised when people give you dirty looks or politely ask you to doff your hat.
It is totally different if that particular person is downright rude about it, kind of cancels both of them out doesn't it?

Old
11-26-2009, 04:36 PM
OilRick

vCash: 5895
Quote:
Originally Posted by dem View Post
Impolite to wear a hat in your house? Give it a rest. What are you.. the Queen of England?
Well you see dem, my wife and I built the house when I was 22 years old. We spent every dime we had building it, had to shoot a moose that year so we could eat. I worked every winter in the bush as a heavy duty mechanic for twenty two years, breaking 27 bones, having 4 operations to repair damage to knees, shoulder, and back now.

Every dime I made went into either paying off my house or into the farm to keep it afloat. So when it comes to my house, yes, I am the king and make up the rules.

Old
11-26-2009, 04:37 PM
Psycho Dad
Oil Kings

Quote:
If you pay money to go to a sporting event, you have a right to boo, even Comrie himself said that.
You're missing the point.

Be an ass. Fine. But don't expect polite society to defend you from a bigger ass.

Old
11-26-2009, 04:40 PM
Soundwave

Quote:
You're missing the point.

Be an ass. Fine. But don't expect polite society to defend you from a bigger ass.
Well I don't think you should threaten a child with physical violence because they're booing at a sporting event (even if you don't agree with it).

Actually I think kids are "hands off" in terms of heckling/yelling at ... if there was a 9-year-old kid wearing a Flames jersey and some adult Oiler fans started to give the kid a hard time, I would tell those adults to **** off honestly.

Old
11-26-2009, 04:41 PM
The Forechecker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motel View Post
The right to vote.

Democracy gives the majority the right to force their beliefs on the minority. There's a bylaw in Sylvan Lake against swearing and spitting ("manners") in public that's pretty heavily enforced on the beach. It wouldn't be that much of a stretch for a municipality to put a bylaw in to follow the etiquette recommended by Heritage Canada.
You are quoting me out of context, but regardless

That still doesnt make it right...just because a majority is for or against something.

Swearing and spitting, is different..spitting can cause biological hazards or ruin the beach. Swearing is something that doesnt work in a family environment, because we are a society with different beliefs...I am sure nudity, ATVing and sex are prohibited as well.

All these things affect other people.

Old
11-26-2009, 04:47 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:

By all means, you are free to ignore the customs of polite society. Just don't be surprised when someone, who has even less concern for repercussions from his own actions, decides to make your ignorance his business.

Like the kid sitting in front of me who decided to boo Comrie in the preseason. He was asked nicely several times to stop, and didn't. Then some gruff fellow grabbed him and threatened him with violence. Not surprisingly, no one came to the kid's aid.

What goes around, comes around.
Um, the kid is a kid. Developmentally he's a kid and capable of making poor decisions or beng resistant and impulsive.

It sounds like you approved of the act by the gruff person.

As did those sitting near you.

The kid has immaturity as an excuse. How about the adults sitting around while some idiot grabs a kid.

Old
The Forechecker

Quote:
Well you see dem, my wife and I built the house when I was 22 years old. We spent every dime we had building it, had to shoot a moose that year so we could eat. I worked every winter in the bush as a heavy duty mechanic for twenty two years, breaking 27 bones, having 4 operations to repair damage to knees, shoulder, and back now.

Every dime I made went into either paying off my house or into the farm to keep it afloat. So when it comes to my house, yes, I am the king and make up the rules.

Arn't we all.

Old
dem

Quote:

Its still silly.

Why not make everyone leave their cell phones outside too?

Old
11-26-2009, 04:48 PM
RKD

Interesting thread. Nice to see it eventually got back on topic (sort of), but I'm not spending time to clean up the last three hours. Closed.