HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Please remove Your Hats

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-26-2009, 09:54 AM
  #51
Stoneman89
Registered User
 
Stoneman89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 7,344
vCash: 500
It's the only thing that separates us from other animals.

Stoneman89 is offline  
Old
11-26-2009, 10:05 AM
  #52
hmminvisiblecola1279
there are kids in it
 
hmminvisiblecola1279's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: no thanks
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,611
vCash: 1072
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoneman89 View Post
It's the only thing that separates us from other animals.
Except their deliciousness.

hmminvisiblecola1279 is offline  
Old
11-26-2009, 10:06 AM
  #53
blackcoffee
Registered User
 
blackcoffee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,482
vCash: 500
Some people on here are being really dense. Something like removing your hat may not have any practical or tangible value attached to it, but it does have a perceived social value. We live in a world where we interact with other people every day and because of this people have had to adopt rules about how this interaction should commence. Some of these rules are documented as formal laws, and some fall other the definition of "good behavior" or "manners". If you purposely choose to ignore these rules for no reason other than pure ignorance or stupidity then you are failing society.

The most ironic thing about this whole conversation is that half of the posters that are *****ing about having to remove hats would be pretty ticked off at me if I TYPED EVERYTHING IN ALL CAPS.

blackcoffee is offline  
Old
11-26-2009, 10:08 AM
  #54
sync
BECAUSE...REASONS!!!
 
sync's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 2,080
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackcoffee View Post
Some people on here are being really dense. Something like removing your hat may not have any practical or tangible value attached to it, but it does have a perceived social value. We live in a world where we interact with other people every day and because of this people have had to adopt rules about how this interaction should commence. Some of these rules are documented as formal laws, and some fall other the definition of "good behavior" or "manners". If you purposely choose to ignore these rules for no reason other than pure ignorance or stupidity then you are failing society.

The most ironic thing about this whole conversation is that half of the posters that are *****ing about having to where hats would be pretty ticked off at me if I TYPED EVERYTHING IN ALL CAPS.
when i read "we live in a world" i instantly started reading this with jack nicholson's voice in a few good men.

sync is offline  
Old
11-26-2009, 10:20 AM
  #55
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1
Registered User
 
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: E-town
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,647
vCash: 500
I'm a young, freedom-loving libertarian who often gets angry at what are unwarranted interventions into my life and mind...but this is just silly.

No one is attacking you in suggesting that hats should come off; give it a rest. They're not trying to take your freedom or hassle you as "the man". It's one thing to be proud of expressing yourself, it's another thing to act like a donkey.

And if you believe in the expression of doing this, be prepared and indeed expect shunning, disgust, dismay, hostility and a lack of respect back. Works both ways. Getting indignant isn't going to help you here.

LoudmouthHemskyfan#1 is offline  
Old
11-26-2009, 10:24 AM
  #56
Mentallydull
Registered User
 
Mentallydull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Oil Country
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,117
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeriousBusiness View Post
Reading many of the posts in this thread reminds me that I live in Alberta.
Sad but true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackcoffee View Post
Some people on here are being really dense. Something like removing your hat may not have any practical or tangible value attached to it, but it does have a perceived social value. We live in a world where we interact with other people every day and because of this people have had to adopt rules about how this interaction should commence. Some of these rules are documented as formal laws, and some fall other the definition of "good behavior" or "manners". If you purposely choose to ignore these rules for no reason other than pure ignorance or stupidity then you are failing society.

The most ironic thing about this whole conversation is that half of the posters that are *****ing about having to remove hats would be pretty ticked off at me if I TYPED EVERYTHING IN ALL CAPS.
Great post, couldn't agree more.

There's a reason why people perceive the newer generations to be ill-mannered and uncaring. It's because more and more people are telling themselves the same garbage that are in so many posts in this thread.

Have fun telling your future bosses that you don't want to shake hands with them or customers because you don't feel it's a sign of respect. Let us know how far you get...

Mentallydull is offline  
Old
11-26-2009, 10:31 AM
  #57
harpoon
FOB
 
harpoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 4,988
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
Menstration Shack? You never heard of that, is a shack where men can send their wives during their times of the month.

Infringing on a person's enjoyement because you would want them to be respectful? Wow that's quite a sense of entitlement there.
OK . You've still failed to spell it correctly but at least I can now identify an English word there . But I'm still not seeing what it has to do with the topic at hand . In fact its about as far OT as you can get on a hockey site .

And no . I meant infringing on a person's enjoyment by being too large , blocking someone's view etc . A baseball cap or a toque really is no bigger than a head anyway so its not likely that they would block sight lines . But if someone was wearing say a cowboy hat at a hockey game I can see how that might bug people seated behind them . In that sort of case I think it would be polite to take it off .

Does the fact that someone in your row is wearing a hat distract from your enjoyment of the game ? Live and let live is my motto when it comes to something as insignificant as a hat .


Last edited by harpoon: 11-26-2009 at 10:41 AM.
harpoon is offline  
Old
11-26-2009, 10:42 AM
  #58
OilRick
Registered User
 
OilRick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 1,017
vCash: 2375
Perfect timing for this thread. My daugter brought her boyfriend home to meet us for the first time this week. Big birthday party and most of the local relatives were at my house for Dairy Queen ice cream cake (we have it for every birthday party.

He walks in and takes ten minutes to take off his biker wanna be garb, leaving his hat on. Well I was warned to be polite and I promised (and my word is as good as gold, another thing which I noticed has been disapearing). Well I pull my daughter aside and tell her it is impolite to wear a hat in our house. She tells him and he says he wears his hat everywhere he doesn't take it off even when he sleeps.

So I leave it alone. But my brother in law is quite vocal and while we begin to eat cake he tells him "hey hat boy, anyone ever tell you it is impolite to wear your hat at the table?" The guy just ignores him and keeps wearing it. Well now I am the first to say that he will never be good enough for my daughter, even if he treated her like gold and was a millionare my view of him will always be suspicious and well I am over protective, but when trying to make a good impression maybe be a little polite and adhere to the rules laid down in someone else's house.

Unfortunately for my daughter I only promised to be polite and nice for that night. Today I have a dinner date with her and we are getting a few rules straight. if you want to wear your hat you can sit outside or **** off either way it'll never be worn at my table again.

The biggest thing I notice from younger generations, is the lack of respect. My grandpa (he was a blacksmith) would take your head off with your hat if you even put one foot in his house with a hat on, my Dad while as strong is quite polite and reserved, unless you piss him off, is almost as bad. You get a verbal warning first, then asked to leave. Is it so hard to take a bloody hat off for a funeral, your national anthem, or when you walk in someone's house?

OilRick is offline  
Old
11-26-2009, 10:44 AM
  #59
Jek McPorkins
Red Six
 
Jek McPorkins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Sherwood Park
Posts: 11,368
vCash: 610
Ah...good ol' redneck Alberta, where removing your cap FOR THE NATIONAL ANTHEM is a gross invasion of your personal freedoms.

Evolution has failed.

Jek McPorkins is online now  
Old
11-26-2009, 10:48 AM
  #60
pancirios
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 373
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermassive View Post
Ah...good ol' redneck Alberta, where removing your cap FOR THE NATIONAL ANTHEM is a gross invasion of your personal freedoms.

Evolution has failed.
couldn't agree more

pancirios is offline  
Old
11-26-2009, 10:54 AM
  #61
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1
Registered User
 
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: E-town
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,647
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermassive View Post
Ah...good ol' redneck Alberta, where removing your cap FOR THE NATIONAL ANTHEM is a gross invasion of your personal freedoms.
This is very backwards. Albertans tend to be more outwardly patriotic both provincially and nationally. I'd argue hat removal is treated with much more emphasis here.

LoudmouthHemskyfan#1 is offline  
Old
11-26-2009, 10:54 AM
  #62
Little Fury
Registered User
 
Little Fury's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 5,657
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoneman89 View Post
It's the only thing that separates us from other animals.
Animals don't wear hats, though...

Anyone remember an early episode of the Sopranos where Tony takes umbrage at a dude wearing a hat at a restaurant and "convinces" him to remove it? I always think of that when I see some lout rocking the ball cap at a decent establishment.

Ball caps: sweat pants for your head.

Little Fury is offline  
Old
11-26-2009, 10:55 AM
  #63
Silver
Registered User
 
Silver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: California
Posts: 5,063
vCash: 500
The bigger question is why I have to listen to one or two jingoistic songs before I watch a bunch of multi-millionaires bat a frozen rubber circle around on a sheet of ice for an hour.

The hat thing is just the cherry on top of that sundae.

Silver is offline  
Old
11-26-2009, 10:59 AM
  #64
harpoon
FOB
 
harpoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 4,988
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermassive View Post
Ah...good ol' redneck Alberta, where removing your cap FOR THE NATIONAL ANTHEM is a gross invasion of your personal freedoms.

Evolution has failed.
I love all the posters assuming that its the rednecks and the kids that won't take their hats off .

harpoon is offline  
Old
11-26-2009, 10:59 AM
  #65
Oilerfan_55
Registered User
 
Oilerfan_55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,531
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooooooooooxxxanne View Post
Why not remove my hat to show respect for when i hear Mozart?

Why not remove my hat when listening to the Prime Minister speak?

Why not remove my hat when the topic of conversation is about someone who is dead, for example, Michael Jackson?


Show respect for the anthem? why? how IS REMOVING MY HAT SHOWING RESPECT? why not wave my hands in the air as a gesture to show respect??

Unlike you, I'm not afraid to question societal norms, just because "everyone does it". Sorry but if your saying it's wrong to ask why things are that way, then no, I'm not ashamed at "my generation".

Your argument is "whats the big deal, its just a small gesture that requires no effort", well then why is it a big deal if they don't do an effortless gesture??

"I'm 26 and I know better than my generation", get off your high horse.
You are right. We should all just drop the things that make us a society. From now on, I am going to wear a bathrobe and slippers to my job in an office building downtown. I am also going to punch bums in the face while walking there, because I think its a dumb society norm to not be able to punch them in the face...

Then on my lunch hours, I'm going to walk into random funerals (and since being silent at a funeral to show respect is just a dumb societal norm that I don't agree with AKA something "the man" invented to keep me down), I am going to sit in the back and talk on my cell phone, of course making sure to drop as many F-bombs as I can.

Walking home from work, I then plan to sneeze in as many peoples faces (or in the summer, I can sneeze in peoples food on patios as I walk by), because again, covering your mouth/nose to sneeze is just a stupid societal norm. I'm my own man! I can sneeze where ever the heck I please! The "man" can't tell me where to sneeze! Shove it MAN!

Oilerfan_55 is offline  
Old
11-26-2009, 11:01 AM
  #66
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1
Registered User
 
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: E-town
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,647
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by harpoon View Post
I love all the posters assuming that its the rednecks and the kids that won't take their hats off .
My last specific experience with a guy failing to remove his hat (or stand up for that matter) was a bitter, balding (I know this from the times he didn't wear a hat) 40-year-old man who thought hockey games should be played in silence and seemed to consider himself quite cultured.

What a peach.

LoudmouthHemskyfan#1 is offline  
Old
11-26-2009, 11:06 AM
  #67
danjo1
 
danjo1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 213
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilerfan_55 View Post
The "man" can't tell me where to sneeze! Shove it MAN!
Thought of this right away:


danjo1 is offline  
Old
11-26-2009, 11:08 AM
  #68
danjo1
 
danjo1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 213
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoudmouthHemskyfan#1 View Post
No one is attacking you in suggesting that hats should come off; give it a rest. They're not trying to take your freedom or hassle you as "the man". It's one thing to be proud of expressing yourself, it's another thing to act like a donkey.

And if you believe in the expression of doing this, be prepared and indeed expect shunning, disgust, dismay, hostility and a lack of respect back. Works both ways. Getting indignant isn't going to help you here.
This I totally agree with.

danjo1 is offline  
Old
11-26-2009, 11:09 AM
  #69
harpoon
FOB
 
harpoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 4,988
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoudmouthHemskyfan#1 View Post
My last specific experience with a guy failing to remove his hat (or stand up for that matter) was a bitter, balding (I know this from the times he didn't wear a hat) 40-year-old man who thought hockey games should be played in silence and seemed to consider himself quite cultured.

What a peach.
Who cares ? If you take off your hat and stand for the national anthem then you should feel satisfied to have fulfilled your patriotic/common sense obligations . If some " bitter balding forty year old man " doesn't take his off , how exactly does that affect your life ?

Did you ask him to remove his hat ? What if he had a horrible disfiguring burn , or was undergoing cancer treatments ? Remember when GWB called out that reporter for asking a question with his sunglasses on ... only to find out that the guy was vision impaired ?

Personally I've found this thread very amusing . Who knew that there were so many hat haters at HFOil . Some folks need to grab a sense of priority .

harpoon is offline  
Old
11-26-2009, 11:13 AM
  #70
Jimmi McJenkins
Sometimes Miracles
 
Jimmi McJenkins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 40,937
vCash: 500
So all the entitlement types are crying foul and that it's an antiquated notion, well here's the way I see it, and the way it should be seen.

Legislating Morality is an Antiquated Notion, having respect and being respectful is something that never goes out of style.

Jimmi McJenkins is offline  
Old
11-26-2009, 11:13 AM
  #71
Jimmi McJenkins
Sometimes Miracles
 
Jimmi McJenkins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 40,937
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by harpoon View Post
Who cares ? If you take off your hat and stand for the national anthem then you should feel satisfied to have fulfilled your patriotic/common sense obligations . If some " bitter balding forty year old man " doesn't take his off , how exactly does that affect your life ?

Did you ask him to remove his hat ? What if he had a horrible disfiguring burn , or was undergoing cancer treatments ? Remember when GWB called out that reporter for asking a question with his sunglasses on ... only to find out that the guy was vision impaired ?

Personally I've found this thread very amusing . Who knew that there were so many hat haters at HFOil . Some folks need to grab a sense of priority .
So YOU feel entitled to do what YOU want, because it's YOUR life. I got it.

Jimmi McJenkins is offline  
Old
11-26-2009, 11:14 AM
  #72
Antidote
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Victoria, BC
Country: Scotland
Posts: 2,613
vCash: 500
Climate change an issue? Nope, Uncle Stevie says it's bad for business. Afghanistan? Nope, General Rick says it's A Good Thing. Take off your hat during the anthem? Man the barricades!

Coddled much?

Antidote is offline  
Old
11-26-2009, 11:16 AM
  #73
Oilerfan_55
Registered User
 
Oilerfan_55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,531
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by harpoon View Post
Who cares ? If you take off your hat and stand for the national anthem then you should feel satisfied to have fulfilled your patriotic/common sense obligations . If some " bitter balding forty year old man " doesn't take his off , how exactly does that affect your life ?

Did you ask him to remove his hat ? What if he had a horrible disfiguring burn , or was undergoing cancer treatments ? Remember when GWB called out that reporter for asking a question with his sunglasses on ... only to find out that the guy was vision impaired ?

Personally I've found this thread very amusing . Who knew that there were so many hat haters at HFOil . Some folks need to grab a sense of priority
.
I love wearing a hat. I wear one as much as I can. I also love not being an ignorant fool, so I take it off for 5 minutes at a hockey game, and I don't wear it to my job where I deal with clients.

Oilerfan_55 is offline  
Old
11-26-2009, 11:18 AM
  #74
reckless_abandon
Registered User
 
reckless_abandon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Hamilton
Country: Canada
Posts: 967
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermassive View Post
Ah...good ol' redneck Alberta, where removing your cap FOR THE NATIONAL ANTHEM is a gross invasion of your personal freedoms.

Evolution has failed
.
I really don't see the correlation that evolution has with rules and restrictions of perceived guides to social norms within a community or culture and the failure within social values of of the Albertan population. Your post has contributed a significant amount of failure to the quality of this thread.

Back to the hats. Personally, I think that everyone accepting the proof that the tradition developed from Medieval Knights courtesies are giving to much credit to the journalist who has no references within her article that was posted on the first page of this thread. That could be an entirely made up story.

My father is bald. I am balding. We like to wear our hats to cover up this fact (which probably contributed to the balding). Is it wrong that I may be insecure about an aspect of my appearance and would want to cover it up? Is that not one of the purposes of wearing clothes? The other purpose would be to keep warm apart of my body, most specifically my head, one of the parts of the body which should be protected the most from the cold.

Now, one could argue, when you are indoors, you do not need to protect your head from the cold, so it is impolite to wear your hat. That logic debunks the idea of wearing clothing. Would it not be as disrespectful to wear any clothing in this instance? I am of the belief that wearing clothes was an adapted human trait for survival means, not social values of proto-human ancestors. Social values are a secondary development in my opinion. So, why wear anything indoors? Human insecurity, and fear of sin. That is why traditions like this are still upheld. Lack of respect in one way or another comes back to fear of sin. Which, is stupid, in my opinion. But, I still take off my hat when an anthem is playing, because I love my country, even though I don't like the fact I am balding.

I think that was logical, but it was kind of a rant, sorry.

reckless_abandon is offline  
Old
11-26-2009, 11:21 AM
  #75
harpoon
FOB
 
harpoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 4,988
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
So YOU feel entitled to do what YOU want, because it's YOUR life. I got it.
Notice I've never said I wouldn't take my hat off for the anthem . I probably would if I thought of it . But if I forgot to take it off and some ******** went out of his way to say something about it , you can believe he'd be getting an earful .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilerfan_55 View Post
I love wearing a hat. I wear one as much as I can. I also love not being an ignorant fool, so I take it off for 5 minutes at a hockey game, and I don't wear it to my job where I deal with clients.
I'm learning so much here . Wearing a hat indoors makes you an ignorant fool who should be shunned . When I go to a sporting event I'm much more concerned about the ignorant fools swilling beer and shouting profanities than I am about some guy who forgot to take off his hat .

And still I'm waiting for someone to answer the question of how a hat wearing patron affects your enjoyment of a dinner or sporting event unless its a big hat directly in front of you .


Last edited by harpoon: 11-26-2009 at 11:28 AM.
harpoon is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:57 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.