HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Please remove Your Hats

Closed Thread

Old
11-26-2009, 11:23 AM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by harpoon View Post
Who cares ? If you take off your hat and stand for the national anthem then you should feel satisfied to have fulfilled your patriotic/common sense obligations . If some " bitter balding forty year old man " doesn't take his off , how exactly does that affect your life ?

Did you ask him to remove his hat ? What if he had a horrible disfiguring burn , or was undergoing cancer treatments ? Remember when GWB called out that reporter for asking a question with his sunglasses on ... only to find out that the guy was vision impaired ?

Personally I've found this thread very amusing . Who knew that there were so many hat haters at HFOil . Some folks need to grab a sense of priority .
Many people asked him and very nicely. He treated all of them like crap.

He affected my life by other than the hat being a total jerk who challenged several 20-somethings to fights in our section. Like I said, what a peach.

He had no such ailment as you describe. I also find it interesting that you make a freedom-based argument in the first paragraph, then revert to over-consideration in the second.

I'm no "hat hater". I've worn them for a very long time and walk the line in terms of appropriate times to wear them myself. My main gripe is with the arguments being presented by the side that wants to make this into some kind of blatant freedom of speech issue. That sort of nonsense makes it harder for those who hold freedom as the highest ideal and try to forward it because we become incorrectly associated with "anthem hat wearer guy".

Old
11-26-2009, 11:24 AM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

Quote:
Notice I've never said I wouldn't take my hat off for the anthem . I probably would if I thought of it . But if I forgot to take it off and some ******** went out of his way to say something about it , you can believe he'd be getting an earful .
Even if they were very polite about it? Why do you immediately assume they're a donkey?

Old
11-26-2009, 11:26 AM
Mentallydull

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilRick View Post
Perfect timing for this thread. My daugter brought her boyfriend home to meet us for the first time this week. Big birthday party and most of the local relatives were at my house for Dairy Queen ice cream cake (we have it for every birthday party.

He walks in and takes ten minutes to take off his biker wanna be garb, leaving his hat on. Well I was warned to be polite and I promised (and my word is as good as gold, another thing which I noticed has been disapearing). Well I pull my daughter aside and tell her it is impolite to wear a hat in our house. She tells him and he says he wears his hat everywhere he doesn't take it off even when he sleeps.

So I leave it alone. But my brother in law is quite vocal and while we begin to eat cake he tells him "hey hat boy, anyone ever tell you it is impolite to wear your hat at the table?" The guy just ignores him and keeps wearing it. Well now I am the first to say that he will never be good enough for my daughter, even if he treated her like gold and was a millionare my view of him will always be suspicious and well I am over protective, but when trying to make a good impression maybe be a little polite and adhere to the rules laid down in someone else's house.

Unfortunately for my daughter I only promised to be polite and nice for that night. Today I have a dinner date with her and we are getting a few rules straight. if you want to wear your hat you can sit outside or **** off either way it'll never be worn at my table again.

The biggest thing I notice from younger generations, is the lack of respect. My grandpa (he was a blacksmith) would take your head off with your hat if you even put one foot in his house with a hat on, my Dad while as strong is quite polite and reserved, unless you piss him off, is almost as bad. You get a verbal warning first, then asked to leave. Is it so hard to take a bloody hat off for a funeral, your national anthem, or when you walk in someone's house?
I agree with everything you said in this post as long as you didn't intend the 'younger generations' thing to mean everyone in the younger generations :p In particular I admire your restraint... I don't think my Dad would've had the patience.

Quote:
I love all the posters assuming that its the rednecks and the kids that won't take their hats off .
I don't think it's an assumption, I think it's fairly accurate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilerfan_55 View Post
I love wearing a hat. I wear one as much as I can. I also love not being an ignorant fool, so I take it off for 5 minutes at a hockey game, and I don't wear it to my job where I deal with clients.

Old
11-26-2009, 11:29 AM
Psycho Dad
Oil Kings

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoudmouthHemskyfan#1 View Post
This is very backwards. Albertans tend to be more outwardly patriotic both provincially and nationally. I'd argue hat removal is treated with much more emphasis here.
You're confusing the issues here.

Old
11-26-2009, 11:34 AM
harpoon
FOB

Quote:
Many people asked him and very nicely. He treated all of them like crap.

He affected my life by other than the hat being a total jerk who challenged several 20-somethings to fights in our section. Like I said, what a peach.

He had no such ailment as you describe. I also find it interesting that you make a freedom-based argument in the first paragraph, then revert to over-consideration in the second.

I'm no "hat hater". I've worn them for a very long time and walk the line in terms of appropriate times to wear them myself. My main gripe is with the arguments being presented by the side that wants to make this into some kind of blatant freedom of speech issue. That sort of nonsense makes it harder for those who hold freedom as the highest ideal and try to forward it because we become incorrectly associated with "anthem hat wearer guy".
Really ? Wow . Many people asked the guy to take off his hat ? Why ?
Did you fight him ?

I'm not making any freedom based argument at all . I agree that's rubbish . My argument goes like this ..... who cares if another person wants to wear a hat and ( apparently ) make themselves look foolish while doing so . No skin off my nose and I certainly wouldn't ask someone at a public venue to remove their hat unless it was a massive hat that was blocking my view of proceedings .

Quote:
Even if they were very polite about it? Why do you immediately assume they're a donkey?
Why do you immediately assume the guy wearing the hat is a donkey ?
And polite or not , my question still stands . Are you that patriotic that the sight of someone wearing a hat during the anthem causes you to feel pain ? To the extent that you feel you must act to see that the hat is removed ?

Old
11-26-2009, 11:35 AM
Stoneman89

Why do people stand for a national anthem?

Old
11-26-2009, 11:37 AM
Antidote

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoneman89 View Post
And prayers!

Old
11-26-2009, 11:38 AM
Mentallydull

Quote:
Uh oh, now you've done it...

Old
11-26-2009, 11:38 AM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

Quote:
Really ? Wow . Many people asked the guy to take off his hat ? Why ?
Did you fight him ?

I'm not making any freedom based argument at all . I agree that's rubbish . My argument goes like this ..... who cares if another person wants to wear a hat and ( apparently ) make themselves look foolish while doing so . No skin off my nose and I certainly wouldn't ask someone at a public venue to remove their hat unless it was a massive hat that was blocking my view of proceedings .
Why wouldn't they ask him? They believe it to be quite disrespectful.

No, of course I didn't fight with the guy.

Old
11-26-2009, 11:39 AM
sync

Quote:
i refuse.

respectfully, of course.

Old
11-26-2009, 11:41 AM
harpoon
FOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentallydull View Post
I don't think it's an assumption, I think it's fairly accurate.
Ahhh . You have that magic little device that lets you see the ages , occupations and political leanings of the users here . Cool .

Old
11-26-2009, 11:45 AM
harpoon
FOB

Quote:
Why wouldn't they ask him? They believe it to be quite disrespectful.

No, of course I didn't fight with the guy.
So let me get this straight ... whenever you see someone doing something you view as disrespectful you feel the urge to try to correct them . You must get awfully tired .

Old
11-26-2009, 11:48 AM
Mentallydull

Quote:
Ahhh . You have that magic little device that lets you see the ages , occupations and political leanings of the users here . Cool .
No, I have common sense. People who don't take off their hats are generally the young and stupid or a red neck (the loose definition being ignorant, intolerant of others, isolated in their own little world, uneducated, etc. etc.).

Old
11-26-2009, 11:49 AM
hmminvisiblecola1279
I just hope we can

Quote:
Notice I've never said I wouldn't take my hat off for the anthem . I probably would if I thought of it . But if I forgot to take it off and some ******** went out of his way to say something about it , you can believe he'd be getting an earful .

I'm learning so much here . Wearing a hat indoors makes you an ignorant fool who should be shunned . When I go to a sporting event I'm much more concerned about the ignorant fools swilling beer and shouting profanities than I am about some guy who forgot to take off his hat .

And still I'm waiting for someone to answer the question of how a hat wearing patron affects your enjoyment of a dinner or sporting event unless its a big hat directly in front of you .
Oh boo hoo, its only a sign of respect, its not a prostate exam and the doctor asks to shake your hand afterwards.

Old
11-26-2009, 11:49 AM
sync

Quote:
No, I have common sense. People who don't take off their hats are generally the young and stupid or a red neck (the loose definition being ignorant, intolerant of others, isolated in their own little world, uneducated, etc. etc.).

Old
11-26-2009, 11:50 AM
Stoneman89

Regarding the poster who's daughter's "date" wouldn't remove his hat during dinner. I have the same rule in our house. If I'm the dad there, I tell him to either remove the hat, or he eats outside with the dog. My house. House rules.

Old
11-26-2009, 11:53 AM
sync

Quote:
+1 for a great counter argument.
you are certainly living up to your user name.

i didn't think i'd need to point out that you are making gross, baseless generalizations and assumptions based only on what i imagine is your limited, myopic anecdotal experience.

Old
11-26-2009, 11:56 AM
sync

Quote:
+1 for a great counter argument.

Nevermind, just realized that all your posts so far consist of half a sentence without actually giving your position on the matter.
because the jury is still out for me.

not much point in discussing something if everyone has already made up their minds now is there?

Old
11-26-2009, 11:57 AM
Mentallydull

Not going to get sucked in to your baiting.

Old
11-26-2009, 11:58 AM
harpoon
FOB

Quote:
People who intentionally don't take off their hats perhaps .
What about people who have legit reasons for not taking them off ? Do you accept that a person with burns , or one undergoing chemo , or even one who is bald and self-conscious about it has a right to wear a hat ? Or what about the guy who just forgets that he's wearing a hat .

Are they intolerant , ignorant fools too ?

Old
11-26-2009, 11:59 AM
sync

Quote:
You'd disagree that most of the people who don't have any class, manners, or desire to show respect are young and stupid or a redneck?

That's common sense right there but I guess some of us just don't have it.
no, that is not common sense, it's a generalization.

Old
11-26-2009, 12:04 PM
Mentallydull

Quote:
What about people who have legit reasons for not taking them off ? Do you accept that a person with burns , or one undergoing chemo , or even one who is bald and self-conscious about it has a right to wear a hat ? Or what about the guy who just forgets that he's wearing a hat .

People with burns and people that are undergoing chemo definitely have a reason to do so, people who are just vain I don't buy it.

Lets not forget that I never said everyone who doesn't take it off is a redneck or young and stupid.

Edit: How the heck do you forget you're wearing a hat!? To bring up the clothes argument, do you forget that you're wearing a shirt or pants?

Old
11-26-2009, 12:06 PM
hmminvisiblecola1279
I just hope we can

Quote:

Oh for petes sake, get off the high horse.

Old
11-26-2009, 12:10 PM
sync

how many people stand and remove their hats when the anthem comes on tv at home?

Old
11-26-2009, 12:12 PM
harpoon
FOB

Quote:
People with burns and people that are undergoing chemo definitely have a reason to do so, people who are just vain I don't buy it.

Lets not forget that I never said everyone who doesn't take it off is a redneck or young and stupid.
But see we wouldn't know the people with legitimate reasons from the rednecks just by looking at them . Well I don't have the little magic device , so I wouldn't know - which is why I'd be very hesitant to tell someone at a public venue to remove their hat .

Anyway , its 3:00 AM here in redneck Tokyo and me and Sato have to brand a whole herd of cattle tomorrow , so I should really call it a night . Hope the wife doesn't insist I take my hat off before bed .

Closed Thread