HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Drive for 5

View Poll Results: Drive for 5, or continue the trends?
Drive for a top 5 pick 50 75.76%
Continue with mediocrity with the odd glimpse of success 3 4.55%
Try to build a winner now, this is what the city needs 10 15.15%
other, explain 3 4.55%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

Old
11-26-2009, 11:51 AM
frag2

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by surshot View Post
Not sayin they would be leading the NHL but they would have more then a couple wins. FYI a couple wins gets pretty close to 8th spot if i am not mistaken as well so think about that.
Content with being "close to 8th spot" are we? I think we should be only content when we're year after year locked in. Wonder what the shock was like for Dallas when they didn't get in

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinnesotaFats View Post
I don't think we have the right players to compliment Hemsky. I certainly wouldnt call Hemsky inferior or incomplete. I just dont think that the team has the right type of player to play with Hemsky - Heater probably could have been that guy. Look at Spezza - no Heater and he is on pace for his lowest output (52 points) since his rookie season where he only played like 30 games. Now Thornton has Heater and is on pace for the third best season of his career.

Im not saying Hemsky is as good as Spezza or Thornton, but they are all similar in that they are set-up mean. They will always put up bigger numbers when they are playing with a snipe that can consistenly pot +35 goals.
We've tried for the past half decade and to no avail. I think it's time to move on. Hemsky shouldn't expect to get points simply from players scoring. If no one's doing it, with all his talent, he should be able to by himself.

frag2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2009, 11:57 AM
Petro Points

vCash: 885
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinnesotaFats View Post
Nash, Omark and Petry havent proven a damn thing yet. To count them as good draft picks is jumping the gun. Its too early to call Eberle a success yet too - I draw your attention to Exhibit A) Rob Schremp.

The past draft is a head scratcher. Picks 2-5 are just...I dont even know. I want to call them bad, but I will wait a few years before making a final judgement.

There have been some good picks for sure. But there have been a lot of first round blunders too. Im not sure its more than other teams, but we certainly have found any late-first round or later-round gems either. No Getzlafs, Richards, Bergerons, etc.
How many late round picks have been better then Omark, Petry, Eberle and Nash? How can u not call them good draft picks when they are all are doing great for their teams this year? They might not be stars but they all wouldve gone higher if the draft was redone now..

Petro Points is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2009, 11:57 AM
surshot*

If you think i am content with 8th spot you misread my post. 8th spot is just the line between decent and bad that pretty much everyone uses as a measuring device. Believe me cocky i would love for the team to be first every year i just find no logic in the dive for top five BS that gets thrown around after every Oiler loss.

surshot* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2009, 11:58 AM
frag2

Quote:
Its not like its one or two players its a crap load. There is not one team in the NHL that could withstand what the Oil had to go threw in the last 20 games or so. And how are players going to elevate there games if they are playing with bad shoulders, Heads, Backs and flu. This is not normal circumstances for a team somebody pissed off the Hockey gods in Oil country because they are playing against a stacked deck.
Have you watched our games when they're everyone in the line up? When we lose, its the same **** as when we are without them. Explain that.

Old
11-26-2009, 12:05 PM
surshot*

Quote:
Originally Posted by frag2 View Post
Have you watched our games when they're everyone in the line up? When we lose, its the same **** as when we are without them. Explain that.
Explain what? when we were some what Healthy we went 6W 2L 1OTL. And the two losses were a couple of are better games this year so your out to lunch.

Do you find it strange at all That the Oil have a man games lost stat on there web page? Go ahead see if you can find another team that needs that stat.

Last edited by RKD: 11-26-2009 at 04:35 PM. Reason: no need for that
Old
11-26-2009, 12:06 PM
Petro Points

vCash: 885
Quote:
Originally Posted by frag2 View Post
first 9 games we were good with everyone healthy...record 6-2-1
Stone, Jacques, Stortini were hitting and Comrie, O'Sullivan scoring

IF healthy we are still a playoffs team.. Stone, Jacques, Potulny, Brule, Stortini, Reddox are all decent bottom 6 Quinn players.. Smid and Staios are playing well this season so our D looks decent (minus Gilbert and Grebeshkov)

Petro Points is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2009, 12:12 PM
Stoneman89

At this point, I'm not concerned with the injured guys. Nothing can be done about them until they are healed and ready to come back. I'm more concerned with how well (or not) the healthy ones are playing.

Stoneman89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2009, 12:14 PM
surshot*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoneman89 View Post
At this point, I'm not concerned with the injured guys. Nothing can be done about them until they are healed and ready to come back. I'm more concerned with how well (or not) the healthy ones are playing.
Thats a problem they are not that healthy either.

Old
11-26-2009, 12:17 PM
Soundwave

Show me one successful franchise that has built itself from not having a superstar to being a perrenial good, young team without benefit of a top 5 pick or big UFA signings (which don't happen in Edmonton).

The younger teams doing well this year ...

Columbus - Nash (3rd overall)
Pittsburgh - Crosby (1st overall) + Malkin (3rd overall) + Staal (2nd overall) + Fleury (1st overall)
L.A. Kings - Doughty (2nd overall) + 7 more years of top 15-ish picks (they drafted well prior)
Washington - Ovechekin (1st overall), Backstrom (4th overall)
Colorado - Duchene (3rd overall)
Philly - Van Riemsdyk (2nd overall)
Chicago - Kane (1st overall) Toews (3rd overall) Keith (3rd overall)
Atlanta - Kovalchuk (1st overall), Bogosian (3rd overall), Kane (4th overall)

You're seeing Tampa (Stamkos, Hedman) and the Islanders (Tavares) also starting to get out of "tank mode" and actually starting to win some games again, which is a very quick turn around.

Detroit is the only one that's really been able to do it, and that isn't a situation you can repeat unless you draft and develop like they do. The whole "we want to be like Detroit" thing doesn't work for Edmonton (see: "hey we're going to be a puck possession skill team ... like Detroit" ... yeah, sure, lol, might as well be the 80s Oilers while we're at it).

Last edited by Soundwave: 11-26-2009 at 12:29 PM.
Soundwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2009, 12:19 PM
Stoneman89

Quote:
Thats a problem they are not that healthy either.

How do you know this? Is POS injured? What about Gilbert? Cogs?

Old
11-26-2009, 12:22 PM
jfhlbuffy

I said dive, for this year, but only because of injuries.

The people that are saying this team was terrible before the injuries are off their rocker. The team was 6-2-1 and playing incredible hockey.

It just seems that there's no end in sight to these injuries, and there's not a team in the league that could lose this many players to injury, have the "healthy" players playing through the flu, and still be competitive. It just can't happen. So sure, dive this year.

jfhlbuffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2009, 12:23 PM
VincenzosOil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discipline View Post
This team will never tank. They just need to be awful.

Also, it is dive, not drive.
Yep. Competitively awful. Some would say we have been since 05/06 but those years didn't qualify as "tank" jobs.

Advocates of the tanking call it a rebuild, an admitted positive spin, the first in a series of spins designed to make the ensuing years of futility palatable to the fans, media and players, all the while selling the hope of attaining a 10 yr contender or as Leonsis states in his very interesting 10 step plan to success, a Stanley Cup or 2.

It's a nice plan, a successfully implemented plan so far, but I am sure there are other plans to success that haven't been made public. And really, do you think Anaheim's plan was to trade for Pronger as the final piece to a Cup? What was their plan to get them in a position to land Pronger?

Other than Leonsis' 10 stepper, I don't believe there are too many organizations that have specific, rigid plans. More likely fluid, dynamic, adaptable plans within a corporate vision.

I want my GM and Coach to ice the most competitive team possible within their means. If this means years of purgatory, living with questionable contracts, so be it.

No tanks on tanking.

VincenzosOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2009, 12:24 PM
surshot*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoneman89 View Post
How do you know this? Is POS injured? What about Gilbert? Cogs?
Do you even follow the Oil.? Not making **** up.

Old
11-26-2009, 12:28 PM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 3099
We will continue to suffer as Tamblo tries to land another Pronger. Because doing real work and coming up with a real plan would be too hard. I imagine we will be front and center in the Kovy sweepstakes this summer only to come up empty handed again. What a sorry state this once proud franchise is in. Please help us pharmacy King.

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2009, 12:30 PM
Narnia
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to Narnia
Quote:
Who is playing injured? I know Horcoff is playing injured and so was Hemsky.

11-26-2009, 12:32 PM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Too early to write off the season, however come the 1/2 way point if the losing trend continues it's time to make some changes that are meant to look at next year and beyond.

Bryanbryoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2009, 12:32 PM
Soundwave

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
We will continue to suffer as Tamblo tries to land another Pronger. Because doing real work and coming up with a real plan would be too hard. I imagine we will be front and center in the Kovy sweepstakes this summer only to come up empty handed again. What a sorry state this once proud franchise is in. Please help us pharmacy King.
I hope he just resigns in Atlanta well before UFA day. That franchise is doing well and has taken steps to accommodate him and would be dead without him anyway ... he should stay.

That will also prevent us from going on another wild, goose chase. Which actually I don't mind ... what I do mind is they seem incapable of doing anything else when they predictably don't get said player.

I don't mind putting in offers for Hossa or Heatley or whoever ... but what I do mind is when you have no back up plan whatsoever and actually gamble the entire summer on being able to get that player.

Old
11-26-2009, 12:34 PM
frag2

Quote:
Explain what? when we were some what Healthy we went 6W 2L 1OTL. And the two losses were a couple of are better games this year so your out to lunch.

Do you find it strange at all That the Oil have a man games lost stat on there web page? Go ahead see if you can find another team that needs that stat.
When we lose, its the same issues regardless of injuries or not. There's no direction for this team. Period. We have spurts where we are really good and equal amounts of suck following afterward-injuries or not. That's been a constant problem with this team. There is no denying that. I'm not ignoring the fact that we have the most man games lost-I've acknowledged that we are a depleted team. However, I'm not blind like you when it comes to how our losses are like. Saying most of our losses are because of injuries is flawed. Its the same problems-no heart, no physicality, lack of effort. Same **** year in year out.

The point of the dive [drive]-shake up the team and restart it again.

Last edited by RKD: 11-26-2009 at 04:36 PM. Reason: quoted edit post
Old
11-26-2009, 12:34 PM
battlegoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narnia View Post
Who is playing injured? I know Horcoff is playing injured and so was Hemsky.
I know Gags and Reddox were but not sure if they still are

battlegoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2009, 12:36 PM
The Last Dynasty
We're in Hell men

Quote:

records can be misleading...they were outshot in every game except the 1st game, they had one of the highest shooting % in the league at the time

when things went back to average, the Oilers record fell

plus even when they were getting healthier (Souray, Jacques, Staios coming back) they still lost and still got outplayed

bring on a REAL franchise player....bring on the top-3 pick

Last edited by RKD: 11-26-2009 at 04:36 PM. Reason: quoted edited post
The Last Dynasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2009, 12:36 PM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 3099
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
I hope he just resigns in Atlanta well before UFA day. That franchise is doing well and has taken steps to accommodate him and would be dead without him anyway ... he should stay.

That will also prevent us from going on another wild, goose chase. Which actually I don't mind ... what I do mind is they seem incapable of doing anything else when they predictably don't get said player.

I don't mind putting in offers for Hossa or Heatley or whoever ... but what I do mind is when you have no back up plan whatsoever and actually gamble the entire summer on being able to get that player.
You seem of two minds. How can you be for a full rebuild and still be on board with signing big ticker ufa's?

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2009, 12:38 PM
Narnia
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to Narnia
Quote:
Originally Posted by battlegoon View Post
I know Gags and Reddox were but not sure if they still are
I know Reddox got cheapshotted against Buffalo. Gags had an MRI on his hip but there was nothing said about the result of the MRI.

Narnia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2009, 12:39 PM
Soundwave

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
You seem of two minds. How can you be for a full rebuild and still be on board with signing big ticker ufa's?
I don't mind putting in an offer. It takes what? 30-40 minutes of discussion with your salary guys to come up with an offer? Who knows maybe one day someone will actually sign.

What I do mind is when you get fixated on that situation like jealous girlfriend stalking an ex, which is basically what the Oilers become in those situations.

We need an elite player, and its becoming clear that the only way we can get that is via the draft.

No superstar player wants to come here, not even because of the city IMO.

No superstar player wants to go to any city where there's no established superstar for them to play with. Especially in Canada where you then have to deal with all the pressure. Heatley would go to Calgary ... because of Iginla, but not Edmonton and wanted San Jose over both ideally (which he got). The Rangers (NYC) are one of the few exceptions to that, but obviously we're not New York City.

The Oilers need to finally accept this. The Pronger thing was a nice dream, and yes, the new CBA was supposed to be different. It's different, but it's still virtually impossible for the Oilers to acquire/sign superstar talent. The Heatley situation is rock bottom for us and we need to move on.

Old
11-26-2009, 01:04 PM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narnia View Post
I know Reddox got cheapshotted against Buffalo. Gags had an MRI on his hip but there was nothing said about the result of the MRI.
They wouldn't be doing an MRI unless there was significant pain there I would assume.

Bryanbryoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2009, 01:07 PM
Stoneman89

Quote:

You didn't answer the question. You made a blanket statement, and I asked you to back it up.