HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Drive for 5

View Poll Results: Drive for 5, or continue the trends?
Drive for a top 5 pick 50 75.76%
Continue with mediocrity with the odd glimpse of success 3 4.55%
Try to build a winner now, this is what the city needs 10 15.15%
other, explain 3 4.55%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

Old
11-26-2009, 01:08 PM
MinnesotaFats

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by PenzOil View Post
How many late round picks have been better then Omark, Petry, Eberle and Nash? How can u not call them good draft picks when they are all are doing great for their teams this year? They might not be stars but they all wouldve gone higher if the draft was redone now..
Sure they look good now, but that doesnt mean it will translate to success at the NHL level. Nash could be the next MAP. Eberle could be the next Schremp. These guys look like good picks, but if they arent playing in the NHL and contributing, its to early to declare them successful draft picks. I think that much is obvious.

MinnesotaFats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2009, 01:10 PM
frag2

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Dynasty View Post
records can be misleading...they were outshot in every game except the 1st game, they had one of the highest shooting % in the league at the time

when things went back to average, the Oilers record fell

plus even when they were getting healthier (Souray, Jacques, Staios coming back) they still lost and still got outplayed

bring on a REAL franchise player....bring on the top-3 pick
Exactly. It's easy to say "injuries were at fault" but as I said, when we watch our victories, we're always at a point where we could end up losing [ie. Detroit game].

We need a player where the coach can tap on shoulder, tell him to do something and that player will go out and do it. Man, when Bowman tapped on Coffey to score in that SCF I think a decade ago, that was unreal. We need players capable of doing that.

frag2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2009, 01:11 PM
Joe Hallenback

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinnesotaFats View Post
Sure they look good now, but that doesnt mean it will translate to success at the NHL level. Nash could be the next MAP. Eberle could be the next Schremp. These guys look like good picks, but if they arent playing in the NHL and contributing, its to early to declare them successful draft picks. I think that much is obvious.
Why look on the downside though about our draft picks?

Eberle is the best player in the CHL this year. Yes better than Hall.

MPS is probably having one of the best 18 year old season in the SEL.

Its hard to argue that either of those playes is not excelling

Granted we do not know what they are going to be like at the next level but so far the justification for drafting them is certainly there

Joe Hallenback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2009, 01:14 PM
frag2

Quote:
Eberle got 9 in 9 in the A. Small sample size yes but I do think he'll be able to find a niche in the NHL. At worst, 60-70pt'r

Old
11-26-2009, 01:20 PM
MinnesotaFats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Hallenback View Post
Why look on the downside though about our draft picks?

Eberle is the best player in the CHL this year. Yes better than Hall.

MPS is probably having one of the best 18 year old season in the SEL.

Its hard to argue that either of those playes is not excelling

Granted we do not know what they are going to be like at the next level but so far the justification for drafting them is certainly there
Im not looking on the downside and Im not arguing that these guys arent excelling. Im pumped about having Eberle and MSP in the stables. But lets be realistic; the vast majority of draft picks dont make the show and the ones that do arent usually elite players.

My original point was that our drafting and scouting has been suspect. You can't pick two good looking prospects out of the huge number of them that we have in the system as proof that our drafting is solid. Teams with great drafting and scouting regularly make good later round draft picks. We havent seen too many of our later round picks become regulars on our roster in the past decade. And on top of that, we have had way too many 1st round blunders.

Old
11-26-2009, 01:26 PM
MinnesotaFats

Quote:
Originally Posted by frag2 View Post
Eberle got 9 in 9 in the A. Small sample size yes but I do think he'll be able to find a niche in the NHL. At worst, 60-70pt'r
Schremp put up 53 in 69 games and 76 in 78 games over in his first 2 AHL seasons respectively. Would you not have said that he would find the NHL? The AHL's leading point producers are usually career minor leaguers that can't ever seem to stick in the NHL. Usually its an issue of not being able to adjust to the speed of the NHL game - that is Schremp's issue.

Like I said, I am stoked about the prospect of Eberle being a great player. But I havent penciled him into the Oilers line up or put his name on any hardware yet.

Old
11-26-2009, 01:28 PM
Soundwave

Quote:
Schremp put up 53 in 69 games and 76 in 78 games over in his first 2 AHL seasons respectively. Would you not have said that he would find the NHL? The AHL's leading point producers are usually career minor leaguers that can't ever seem to stick in the NHL. Usually its an issue of not being able to adjust to the speed of the NHL game - that is Schremp's issue.

Like I said, I am stoked about the prospect of Eberle being a great player. But I havent penciled him into the Oilers line up or put his name on any hardware yet.
He'd have to seriously regress as a player to honestly not make this team in the future.

Soundwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2009, 01:29 PM
VincenzosOil

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
We will continue to suffer as Tamblo tries to land another Pronger. Because doing real work and coming up with a real plan would be too hard. I imagine we will be front and center in the Kovy sweepstakes this summer only to come up empty handed again. What a sorry state this once proud franchise is in. Please help us pharmacy King.
Lol. Make the pain go away Katz.

I think you're overstating things a little. We're not a sorry franchise yet. Think Isles, LA. If we tank, then we'll be a qualified sorry mess. Ironically we would accept it because it would be spinned a rebuild, not a wreck.

VincenzosOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2009, 01:31 PM
Soundwave

Quote:
Originally Posted by VincenzosOil View Post
Lol. Make the pain go away Katz.

I think you're overstating things a little. We're not a sorry franchise yet. Think Isles, LA. If we tank, then we'll be a qualified sorry mess. Ironically we would accept it because it would be spinned a rebuild, not a wreck.
Why do people think it's better to be where we are now (a perrenial 11th/12th place team)?

You think fans of other teams don't laugh at us?

The people who laughed at the Islanders and the Kings have either shut up or aren't going to be laughing much longer.

There's no "honor" in finishing 9th-12th every year. No one respects you for that.

Old
11-26-2009, 01:39 PM
OmegaTheory

I think the most frustrating thing is that management can never get thier bloody finger out and decied which way they're going to go, yes a top 5 pick is not always a certian thing, however I think it would be more enjoyable to us as fans to say we stunk this year but at least we have a pretty good chance at getting a player that could really help us, not "we suck but we never suck bad enough to improve this team via draft OR FA." Thus we're endlessley stuck in a sprial of "Woot! Playoffs" "At least we get a decent pick" "Damn they did it again!!"

Where's the fun in this? It's like being a yo-yo. I say Dive dive dive!!! Just accept it.

OmegaTheory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2009, 01:42 PM
frag2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
Why do people think it's better to be where we are now (a perrenial 11th/12th place team)?

The people who laughed at the Islanders and the Kings have either shut up or aren't going to be laughing much longer.

There's no "honor" in finishing 9th-12th every year. No one respects you for that.
I would like to add to the fact that when Chicago played us last, they eased up on us. Wouldn't surprise me if they kept at it, we wouldve lost worse than Calgary.

Old
11-26-2009, 01:45 PM
MinnesotaFats

Quote:
He'd have to seriously regress as a player to honestly not make this team in the future.
Agreed.

Not sure how my statement about the Oilers scouting and drafting needing improvement turned in to a condemnation of Eberle. No wonder other boards thing we are crazy.

Old
11-26-2009, 01:48 PM
MinnesotaFats

Quote:

None at all. Ask the Maple Leafs.

Old
11-26-2009, 01:49 PM
Petro Points

vCash: 885
Quote:

honor? respect? No one respects you unless u win the cup and even then ppl forget about you when u go on a losnig streak.. Edmonton has as much respect as Hurricanes or Sens .. Finishing 12th or 6th makes no difference at the end of the year if you dont win it all.. If EDM loses honor when they finish 12 then Calgary also loses honor when they fail to go deep in the playoffs after making the top 8 cut year after year..

Every struggling team will get laughed at... If we are worried about losing honor and respect then tanking for 2\3 seasons is not going to help.

Petro Points is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2009, 01:51 PM
Soundwave

Quote:
None at all. Ask the Maple Leafs.
Exactly, some of the people here who are like "noooo! we can't tank, we have our pride!" are the same ones who laugh at the Maple Leafs.

Well guess what? We ARE the Maple Leafs West. Hell they may even be in better shape than us in the long term ... Kessel actually is a reliable goal scorer and they will have a lot of cap room soon.

Old
11-26-2009, 01:52 PM
Soundwave

Quote:
honor? respect? No one respects you unless u win the cup and even then ppl forget about you when u go on a losnig streak.. Edmonton has as much respect as Hurricanes or Sens .. Finishing 12th or 6th makes no difference at the end of the year if you dont win it all.. If EDM loses honor when they finish 12 then Calgary also loses honor when they fail to go deep in the playoffs after making the top 8 cut year after year..

Every struggling team will get laughed at... If we are worried about losing honor and respect then tanking for 2\3 seasons is not going to help.
Exactly ... so we shouldn't be worried about other people think.

We already get laughed at, I'd rather get a great player and make those people cry in a few seasons.

Old
11-26-2009, 01:54 PM
Petro Points

Quote:
Exactly, some of the people here who are like "noooo! we can't tank, we have our pride!" are the same ones who laugh at the Maple Leafs.

Well guess what? We ARE the Maple Leafs West. Hell they may even be in better shape than us in the long term ... Kessel actually is a reliable goal scorer and they will have a lot of cap room soon.
so how about we trade our picks along with a bad contract for another reliable goal scorer..

Old
11-26-2009, 01:55 PM
Soundwave

Quote:
so how about we trade our picks along with a bad contract for another reliable goal scorer..
If a player like Stamkos or Toews was coming back, I would consider it.

Old
11-26-2009, 01:56 PM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 4000
Quote:
Last thing we need to be doing. If Tambo trades our first for a band aid I am done with this team.

I am the Liquor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2009, 02:00 PM
Petro Points

Quote:
Exactly ... so we shouldn't be worried about other people think.

We already get laughed at, I'd rather get a great player and make those people cry in a few seasons.
Our core is in its prime. Souray, Visnovsky, Penner and Hemsky is our team.

Smid and possibly Petry are only bright spots on D... we have no future clear #1 goalie.. Gagner, Brule, Cogliano, Eberle and MPS might not be what we hope.

This team needs a star or 2 in their prime.. not another 6th overall prospect..

Old
11-26-2009, 02:01 PM
MinnesotaFats

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Last thing we need to be doing. If Tambo trades our first for a band aid I am done with this team.
I hope for your sake you are not serious...this is a real possibility. Tambo/Lowe have been big game hunting and I dont see why that would stop. We can only hope that they continue to come up empty handed

Old
11-26-2009, 02:02 PM
spent

I would like to see this team either committed to winning (aka contending) or committed to losing (aka rebuilding). This sitting on the fence thing is getting tired.

spent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2009, 02:03 PM
Petro Points

Quote:
If a player like Stamkos or Toews was coming back, I would consider it.
or (signed) Semin or Kovalchuk or Lecavalier etc etc ..
I dont want us to trade the 1st ... but other picks along with some of our "great" prospects that dont fit our system are all tradable.

Old
11-26-2009, 02:10 PM
MinnesotaFats

Quote:
or (signed) Semin or Kovalchuk or Lecavalier etc etc ..
I dont want us to trade the 1st ... but other picks along with some of our "great" prospects that dont fit our system are all tradable.
Aside from the Joe Thornton trade, how often do these types of players become available through a trade under circumstances where the player isnt being shopped because he is disgruntled? Pretty much never. Keep dreaming.

Oh, and I would pass on Semin everyday of the week.

Old
11-26-2009, 02:11 PM
Soundwave

Quote:
Our core is in its prime. Souray, Visnovsky, Penner and Hemsky is our team.

Smid and possibly Petry are only bright spots on D... we have no future clear #1 goalie.. Gagner, Brule, Cogliano, Eberle and MPS might not be what we hope.

This team needs a star or 2 in their prime.. not another 6th overall prospect..
So get the 3rd overall prospect. Get the 2nd overall pick. Hell, get 1st overall.

How do you get a star without being able to get one through the draft?

Because we sure as hell aren't getting one via UFA and no star player is going to accept a trade here (face it).

There isn't some supermarket you can go to where you can pick up an Ovechekin. You have to be willing to tank to get a player like that or you have to be in a market that has a lifestyle draw to it (New York, L.A., etc.) and we certainly do not have that going for us.

You put a Stamkos or Tavares on this team right now and they would make the playoffs for the next 10+ years straight. And neither one of those guys is "in his prime". No one in Chicago is "in their prime", not Toews, not Kane, not Keith ... yet they are destroying every team in the West. Ditto for Pittsburgh, the frightening thing about them is neither Crosby or Malkin are in their prime yet, they still are developing.

You need talent first.