HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Drive for 5

View Poll Results: Drive for 5, or continue the trends?
Drive for a top 5 pick 50 75.76%
Continue with mediocrity with the odd glimpse of success 3 4.55%
Try to build a winner now, this is what the city needs 10 15.15%
other, explain 3 4.55%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

Old
11-27-2009, 04:41 PM
Live Breathe Hockey

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedi View Post
Explain teams like Detroit and NJ then? And Chicago had to go through at least 2 youth movements before they figured anything out and now Tallon is on the outs because of the mess he made...although Chicago is a serious contender this year, is it worth it for one year? I'm not saying a youth movement wouldn't or couldn't work, IMO I would hate to see implemented here. I believe a good GM can build a franchise through the draft, free agency and trades, and have a somewhat competitive team every year.
FIRST and foremost! Yes it is 100% worth it for one year if that one year brings you the CUP! isn't that what you want and what you're griping about?

Secondly, you honestly think CHI is a one hit wonder? they were very good last year, and twice as good this year with pretty much the exact same YOUTHful cast they've drafted and developed and now that they are that ONE piece/step away, they've added a dynamic UFA that wants to win a CUP in Hossa... funny how simple things get so overlooked up here in the wasteland of hockey

Live Breathe Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2009, 04:47 PM
Tedi

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Live Breathe Hockey View Post
so did WSH and PIT and CHI and LAK and BOS and now PHX and TBL and STL and NSH all ice bad teams intentionally? or did they just NOT spend wisely, iced a team of youth, see what youth rose to the top, kept that youth around as key guys and sucked long enough to draft studs (multiple studs) to turn their respective teams around and with the earlier cream of the crop that rose to the top they are now and soon to be extremely strong teams for many years to come!

not rocket science buddy

OR

did they over spend on crappy players, signed untimely UFA's, and consistently just missed the playoffs by mere points or bounced in the first round of the playoffs well continually sellling the dream that they are one piece away.... that one piece is a #1 overall pick, not 5# 14-23 year after year
PIT needed a miracle to save their franchise and they got it in the form of Crosby...so spare me the rocket science lecture. Half of those teams up there are in serious financial trouble and lowered the bar as far as cap expenditures went out of necessity. If you are telling me that TBL is a smartly run organization than you need to do some homework on the history of the NHL. LA and BOS are probably the best example you could give me and I still wonder if BOS was better off without Joe T. or not.

Tedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2009, 04:50 PM
Live Breathe Hockey

Quote:
PIT needed a miracle to save their franchise and they got it in the form of Crosby...so spare me the rocket science lecture. Half of those teams up there are in serious financial trouble and lowered the bar as far as cap expenditures went out of necessity. If you are telling me that TBL is a smartly run organization than you need to do some homework on the history of the NHL. LA and BOS are probably the best example you could give me and I still wonder if BOS was better off without Joe T. or not.
WHO cares about TBL financial situation?? we're talking about winning cups! they've got a #1 and a #2 pick recently, think they'll win a cup before us if we stay on the same course of them getting top calibre picks vs us getting medicore #20 overall picks with UFA's that dont want to play for medicore teams?

I bet you that as soon as TBL shows stamkos, hedman, and ashton lighting the league up like Toews, Kane, and Keith that they'll get a Hossa before we do and it has nothing to do with the weather... give your head a

Old
11-27-2009, 04:52 PM
Tedi

Quote:
FIRST and foremost! Yes it is 100% worth it for one year if that one year brings you the CUP! isn't that what you want and what you're griping about?

Secondly, you honestly think CHI is a one hit wonder? they were very good last year, and twice as good this year with pretty much the exact same YOUTHful cast they've drafted and developed and now that they are that ONE piece/step away, they've added a dynamic UFA that wants to win a CUP in Hossa... funny how simple things get so overlooked up here in the wasteland of hockey
And yet they will go through some serious restructuring next year in order to hold on to their young assets. IMO they got greedy in signing Hossa and will probably lose 2 or 3 good young players because of it.

Old
11-27-2009, 04:56 PM
Tedi

Quote:
WHO cares about TBL financial situation?? we're talking about winning cups! they've got a #1 and a #2 pick recently, think they'll win a cup before us if we stay on the same course of them getting top calibre picks vs us getting medicore #20 overall picks with UFA's that dont want to play for medicore teams?

I bet you that as soon as TBL shows stamkos, hedman, and ashton lighting the league up like Toews, Kane, and Keith that they'll get a Hossa before we do and it has nothing to do with the weather... give your head a
TBL are a messy franchise at best. I wouldn't hold my breath for that cup to come anytime soon. The grass always appears greener to you doesn't it.

Old
11-27-2009, 04:56 PM
Live Breathe Hockey

Quote:
And yet they will go through some serious restructuring next year in order to hold on to their young assets. IMO they got greedy in signing Hossa and will probably lose 2 or 3 good young players because of it.
so what if they lose a versteeg or a bolland or any other "good" 3rd line players. Hossa is better than all of them and i'd rather have him... you know why? because CHI can bring in Kyle Beach, Jack Skille, Akim Aliu, Billy Sweatt, or Igor Makarov to fill those "good" positions and will be cheaper than a $3.5m 40pt player or less which is what bolland and versteeg are pretty much

Old
11-27-2009, 04:57 PM
hockeyaddict101

I voted other.

There is no way I would vote for tanking a season it is unethical but the Oilers really are not in a position to turn things around by making a few trades.

So if they finish in the bottom five because of their play and because of injuries. So be it.

hockeyaddict101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2009, 04:59 PM
Live Breathe Hockey

Quote:
TBL are a messy franchise at best. I wouldn't hold my breath for that cup to come anytime soon. The grass always appears greener to you doesn't it.
when the grass consists of:

Vinny Lecavalier
Steven Stamkos
Victor Hedman
Martin St Louis

Just to name a few, ya I think thats a bit greener than our team currently wouldn't you agree?

Old
11-27-2009, 05:02 PM
Tedi

Quote:
so what if they lose a versteeg or a bolland or any other "good" 3rd line players. Hossa is better than all of them and i'd rather have him... you know why? because CHI can bring in Kyle Beach, Jack Skille, Akim Aliu, Billy Sweatt, or Igor Makarov to fill those "good" positions and will be cheaper than a $3.5m 40pt player or less which is what bolland and versteeg are pretty much
Versteeg and Bolland are the guys that you win cups with. And all of the unproven guys you mentioned will all be great for Chicago...right? Why aren't you on their board blowing smoke up their heinies then. Tallon lost his job why? Chicago is shedding more salary than Versteeg and Bolland, bank on it.

Old
11-27-2009, 05:02 PM
hfboardsuser

Quote:

Vinny Lecavalier
Steven Stamkos
Victor Hedman
Martin St Louis

Just to name a few, ya I think thats a bit greener than our team currently wouldn't you agree?
Yeah, but Horc's Corsi is better than any of them I bet.

hfboardsuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2009, 05:03 PM
Little Fury

Quote:

Vinny Lecavalier
Steven Stamkos
Victor Hedman
Martin St Louis

I dunno, man....

TBL: 25 points, two years out of the playoffs
Edmonton: 23 points, three years out of the playoffs

Little Fury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2009, 05:03 PM
Tedi

Quote:

Vinny Lecavalier
Steven Stamkos
Victor Hedman
Martin St Louis

And yet they are perennial losers...go figure.

Old
11-27-2009, 05:12 PM
Live Breathe Hockey

Quote:
Versteeg and Bolland are the guys that you win cups with. And all of the unproven guys you mentioned will all be great for Chicago...right? Why aren't you on their board blowing smoke up their heinies then. Tallon lost his job why? Chicago is shedding more salary than Versteeg and Bolland, bank on it.
Maybe for the Khabi and Campbell signings, the missed paperwork that costed them to overpay Versteeg and the other guy i can't remember... just to name a couple things

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Fury View Post
I dunno, man....

TBL: 25 points, two years out of the playoffs
Edmonton: 23 points, three years out of the playoffs
and stamkos has 1 year in the NHL and hedman is in his first, lets talk in 2 more years and we'll see where TBL vs EDM is... book mark this page

Quote:
and when was the last time the oilers won a cup? oh right, thats the answer i was looking for. at least TBL had enough pride to go get a #1 pick followed up by a #2 pick to grow while they're franchise #1 pick is still in his prime and can probably still win another cup with guys like stamkos and hedman out there with him, then add in some role players like malone and you're onto something... rocket science yet again

Old
11-27-2009, 05:14 PM
hfboardsuser

Quote:
Really? I mean, I know the lockout was five years ago people, but come on.

hfboardsuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2009, 05:28 PM
Philly85
Moody'

Tank this mother****er.

It's bad enough as it is already, why not just accelerate the process. Shed a contract or two wherever they can.

The fans will thank the team later.

Philly85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2009, 07:18 PM
MinnesotaFats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bugg View Post
Yeah, but Horc's Corsi is better than any of them I bet.
Now index the Corsi to each players avg annual cap hit...blah, blah, blah

Lies, damn lies, and statistics.

MinnesotaFats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2009, 09:54 PM
Little Fury

Quote:

and stamkos has 1 year in the NHL and hedman is in his first, lets talk in 2 more years and we'll see where TBL vs EDM is... book mark this page
You said "currently".

Quote:
and when was the last time the oilers won a cup? oh right, thats the answer i was looking for. at least TBL had enough pride to go get a #1 pick followed up by a #2 pick to grow while they're franchise #1 pick is still in his prime and can probably still win another cup with guys like stamkos and hedman out there with him, then add in some role players like malone and you're onto something... rocket science yet again
Pride? That franchise has been run by a bunch of syphilitic chimpanzees for the past four years. If they succeed with all their high picks it will be in spite of themselves.

Little Fury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2009, 09:57 PM
Big Dogge*

With Hall in the stable I think that the Oilers approach Chicago territory with their young prospects and talent, at least offensively.

Hall and MPS are comparable to Toews and Kane. Then you still have Gagner, Eberle, Omark and Lander as a supporting cast offensively. No way all of these guys don't hit their potential.

Look good defensively too with Petry, Plante and Chorney in the pipeline.

Big Dogge* is offline   Reply With Quote