HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Sky is NOT Falling - Part I

Old
11-26-2009, 12:41 PM
execwrite

vCash: 500
The Sky is NOT Falling - Part I

There are some positive signs appearing for the Blues.

1) The goaltending will be top-notch this year. Chris Mason is establishing himself as a number one goalie for the Blues. Ty Conklin is the perfect veteran backup. The team has confidence in both of them and the Blues will get solid goaltending almost every night this season.

2) The defense is becoming more solid. The three pairs now - Jackman/Polak, Brewer/Weaver and Johnson/Cola - play very strong in their own end. The Johnson/Cola pair will continue to add more offense.

3) The offense can only get better. The goal-scoring has been terrible so far. Improvement will come. There's too much talent here to not score lots of goals. It's just gonna take some time.

You build from the goal out and this Blues team is getting better. Don't lose the faith this early in the season. (And by the way, Murray stays).

execwrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2009, 01:15 PM
SteenMachine

I'm pretty much agreeing with this for the time being, I think the players just have to execute what they already know they can accomplish; it's not like the bar is being set out of their skill level or work ethic.

The real problem for a coach has to be trying to fix one player at a time but working through them all as fast as possible. It's one thing when you have a bad line, or 1 or 2 guys just not earning their contract and taking up space.

It's a whole different problem when your top 2 scoring lines are all in a drought and no one can lean on their teammates to carry them through it.

Looking at other teams that were, are, or soon will be, in the Blues position I think this season is something we should have expected. How many draft picks did LA insert into their line up before they finally got a team with a winning record.

How long did it take the Blue Jackets to develop the right players and find FA or trades that fit the team and become a playoff contender.

Nashville has one of the best young D cores around and when they finally got an offense that could compete they sold it all off for Forsberg and eventually had to blow up the team; I definitely don't want that to be us just to get through the end of the year and push for the 2nd round of the playoffs.

SteenMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2009, 04:57 PM
fan in oregon

I do not disagree with the fact that the sky is falling with the Blues but they will not make the playoffs with this team. I dont know if its the coach or the players at fault but they wont make it unless some changes are made. The division and the conference have gotten better. Maybe a few years ago they could have squeeked into the playoffs but, not this year. With the improvement of teams such as the Kings, Coyotes, Avalanche and Stars These are teams that probably will make it this year. To go along with playoff teams last year such as the Sharks, Hawks, Wings, Flames,and Jackets. That means the Blues as they are now will finish in the bottom third of the conference and will have to battle Nashville to stay out of last place in the division

fan in oregon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2009, 06:04 PM
ChicagoBlues

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoyesinBlue View Post
I'm pretty much agreeing with this for the time being, I think the players just have to execute what they already know they can accomplish; it's not like the bar is being set out of their skill level or work ethic.

The real problem for a coach has to be trying to fix one player at a time but working through them all as fast as possible. It's one thing when you have a bad line, or 1 or 2 guys just not earning their contract and taking up space.

It's a whole different problem when your top 2 scoring lines are all in a drought and no one can lean on their teammates to carry them through it.

Looking at other teams that were, are, or soon will be, in the Blues position I think this season is something we should have expected. How many draft picks did LA insert into their line up before they finally got a team with a winning record.

How long did it take the Blue Jackets to develop the right players and find FA or trades that fit the team and become a playoff contender.

Nashville has one of the best young D cores around and when they finally got an offense that could compete they sold it all off for Forsberg and eventually had to blow up the team; I definitely don't want that to be us just to get through the end of the year and push for the 2nd round of the playoffs.
I told you all at the beginning of the summer that this might happen. Historically, many young teams that make the playoffs for the first time I a while often falter the next season due to many reasons. It could be more young players have come aboard, sophomore slumps are hindering certain players, too tired the previous year's run or that the expectations of being successful have gotten the best of the team. (among other reasons)

For The Blues it is a combination of too tired from last year's emotional run, sophomore slumps and definitely high expectations.

Oh and Happy Thanksgiving!

ChicagoBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2009, 06:58 PM
execwrite

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoBlues View Post
I told you all at the beginning of the summer that this might happen. Historically, many young teams that make the playoffs for the first time I a while often falter the next season due to many reasons. It could be more young players have come aboard, sophomore slumps are hindering certain players, too tired the previous year's run or that the expectations of being successful have gotten the best of the team. (among other reasons)

For The Blues it is a combination of too tired from last year's emotional run, sophomore slumps and definitely high expectations.

Oh and Happy Thanksgiving!
Agreed.

Will the Blues make the playoffs this year? I don't know.

IF all the young players gain experience and become professional, consistent NHL players, it will be a good year.

Next year, the transition should be complete. The vets - Tkachuk, Kariya, maybe Brewer - will be gone, a few more youngsters will step in - Eller, Palushaj, Junland, Pietrangelo maybe - and the future will have arrived.

And a happy Thanksgiving to all.

Old
11-26-2009, 09:51 PM
stlweir

Don't overlook the powerplay. Last year the Blues had one of the top PPs in the league. This year they are dead last. Johnson has been better than I expected and Kariya far worse. There is plenty of time to get the PP untracked. It is the key to being a playoff team. The goaltending has been very solid. This team works hard every night. Hopefully they will start scoring goals and it will get contageous.

stlweir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2009, 10:01 PM
concept*

Quote:
Originally Posted by execwrite View Post
3) The offense can only get better. The goal-scoring has been terrible so far. Improvement will come. There's too much talent here to not score lots of goals. It's just gonna take some time.
You should have left it as two points. Adding this one only strengthens the argument that the Blues suck and the sky IS falling. Another way of saying, "This offense can only get better." is "The offense can't get any worse." That's not a positive; that's so far in the negative that it's inexcusable, which I would certainly argue.

concept* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2009, 10:40 PM
execwrite

Quote:
Originally Posted by concept View Post
You should have left it as two points. Adding this one only strengthens the argument that the Blues suck and the sky IS falling. Another way of saying, "This offense can only get better." is "The offense can't get any worse." That's not a positive; that's so far in the negative that it's inexcusable, which I would certainly argue.
What's happened up to now is done and over.

Consider the possibility that the offense can get better.

Old
11-29-2009, 01:02 PM
General Veers

Great thread! It's nice to see the team trying to fight through this. If we keep seeing these solid efforts most of the time, there is no reason this team can't crack the top 8.

General Veers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2009, 04:08 PM
Celtic Note
Not in Ferguson

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Veers View Post
Great thread! It's nice to see the team trying to fight through this. If we keep seeing these solid efforts most of the time, there is no reason this team can't crack the top 8.
Agreed. We just need to consistently play the way we have.

Celtic Note is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2009, 06:49 PM
DP 57

If we can get our powerplay back on track, we should have no problem climbing back into the top 8.

DP 57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2009, 01:11 AM
SteenMachine

Quote:
Originally Posted by DP 57 View Post
If we can get our powerplay back on track, we should have no problem climbing back into the top 8.
Very true, there's been plenty of games that we won defensively, but fell through on the special teams and gave up a loss. The Detroit game was the first one the Blues have "lost" with 3 goals scored. It seems safe to say that if we could have a top 10 PP we'd be a top 10 team right now.

SteenMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2009, 03:25 AM
Celtic Note
Not in Ferguson

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoyesinBlue View Post
Very true, there's been plenty of games that we won defensively, but fell through on the special teams and gave up a loss. The Detroit game was the first one the Blues have "lost" with 3 goals scored. It seems safe to say that if we could have a top 10 PP we'd be a top 10 team right now.
I agree, but lets think past the season for a second...relying so heavily on the PP rather than the ability to score 5v5 is dangerous, because a shortage at any moment could end a playoff run....see last year.

Celtic Note is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2009, 12:03 PM
EOM

Should this be a rebuilding year?

Through the first quarter of the season, the Blues don't look like a consistent enough team to make a serious run in the playoffs. They don't even look like a good enough team to make the playoffs. There are some flashes, but it just doesn't seem like they're ready. Should they give guys like Pietrangelo, Eller, Junland, and Berglund more playing time so they will be more NHL ready by next year, when the Blues could make a more serious run?

Or are the Blues good enough to make the playoffs and make a serious run? If so, what needs to be done to get to the next level?

EOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2009, 12:10 PM
number 77

The organization is in an awkward place right now. They gained so much momentum from the playoff berth last season. On the other hand, the young guys, with the exception of Erik Johnson and maybe David Perron, have taken a step back it seems. The veterans have grossly underperformed compared to previous seasons.

I'm not ready for a complete overhaul of this team, but changes should be made looking forward. I think it starts with getting a new coach and some personnel changes as well. A new captain wouldn't hurt either. Brewer just doesn't stand out as that figure to me. Of course, I'm not in the locker room, however, I firmly believe that the captain should be one of your best players and most consistent. Brewer may be a leader in the locker room, however, he is neither of those things. Simply my opinion of course...

Last edited by number 77: 12-01-2009 at 12:17 PM.
number 77 is offline   Reply With Quote