HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Would Gomez take a pay cut to save Pleks?

Closed Thread

Old
11-27-2009, 10:56 AM
bsl

vCash: 500
Would Gomez take a pay cut to save Pleks?

You guys and girls can flame away, but I've been thinking...We're gonna have a hell of a time signing Pleks next year, and giving big fat pay raises to Price and others.

It would be smart of Bob to approach Gomer and see about a pay cut, salary deferal, or a switch to bonus incentives in order to sign our other key players...

I believe Gomer might do it too, because if we lose Pleks due to his salary, he's gonna get killed next year by the fans, and he knows it. He also knows that we're building to something very good in about three years, and it would be nice to stick around. It's not like another team is gonna take his fat contract anyway...

However: Big problem. The Player's Association would be all over Gomer for taking a cut. Very bad precedent for other big cap hit players...therefore probably never going to happen.

But I repeat, if we lose Pleks next year because of Gomer's cap hit, he's gonna take the heat next year big time, and he knows it.

For reasons above, I think Bob should give it a go. And I'd be surprised if he has not already considered it, even before the trade for Gomer.

Your thoughts Ladies and Gentlemen?

Old
11-27-2009, 10:59 AM
frederixx

Would you take a paycut to please another coworker? I bet not.

Old
Captain Saku

I don't think it's possible under the CBA. They'll have to buy him about, and after a buyout there is no possibility of re-signing him.

Old
Perrah

Can you even renegotiate a contract once it is signed? If you can i cant see the PA caring cause stat wise he isnt worth what hes being paid so it wouldnt really affect others. It would be different if say kovalchuk was taking 4 mill a year or something.

Old
11-27-2009, 11:01 AM
Tuggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Saku View Post
I don't think it's possible under the CBA. They'll have to buy him about, and after a buyout there is no possibility of re-signing him.
If they buy him out then they'd have him on the cap for like 8 years at over 3.5M. That isn't going to happen.

Old
11-27-2009, 11:01 AM
Flames Fanatic
Man Shifty is Good!

Completely impossible in under the current collective bargining agreement. Once a player has signed a contract, both he and the team are stuck with it, unless the player is traded, suspended indefinitely, bought out or retires.

Old
11-27-2009, 11:03 AM
saints96

i dont know.. ask gomez.

Old
11-27-2009, 11:03 AM
GoodKiwi

Another one of those "posting before thinking" topics.

Old
11-27-2009, 11:04 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
Sorry bsl, impossible under the new CBA.Gonna close this since it ain't going to happen

Here is the rule

RENEGOTIATION OF CONTRACTS

Will Clubs be able to renegotiate contracts with players?

No. Player contracts will not be renegotiated (upward or downward) during their term. Extensions may be negotiated but only in the final year of the contract and only if such extension is for an amount that can be accommodated in a Club's upper limit for the current year or as computed for future years

http://www.nhl.com/ice/page.htm?id=26366

Last edited by Habs 4 Life: 11-27-2009 at 02:52 PM.
Closed Thread