HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

interesting Dec. for Gomez

Old
01-01-2010, 11:03 AM
Chris Nilan

vCash: 500
interesting Dec. for Gomez

I know people here hate on Gomez and were posting long and loud about Pouliot and/or Gionta coming in to help him get going, BUT did anyone else notice that he has 16 pts in his last 16 games, most of which were played without either of his two supposed saviours?

Gomez needs to play with people who finish and lately guys have been, especially on the power play. He's a playmaker and like others before him is prone to bad give-aways b/c he holds on too long or makes ill-advised passes. These go with the territory.

However, the fact that power plays go into ruts also suggests that the team still needs a guy who can score a goal, especially 5 on 5. I'm not convinced we have anyone like that right now and we haven't since Richer was good.

You can hate on Gomez all you want, but his play is a symptom, not an illness as far as this team goes.

Chris Nilan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2010, 11:20 AM
Habsfan18
The Future

He's definitely picked up his game lately, which is good for us.

I'm loving the Pouliot-Gomez-Gionta line.

Habsfan18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2010, 11:25 AM
Xss

Can't believe we only pay him 7m

Xss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2010, 11:46 AM
le_sean

I've always been a big supporter of Gomez and I am glad he is playing well. Overpaid? Yes. Detriment to the team? Not even close.

That line is fantastic though. Benoit really fits with them. I'm glad it's Gionta on that line though because if he was still hurt and SK was there no one would ever shoot.

le_sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2010, 11:48 AM
King Woodballs
MVP! MVP! MVP!

he has picked up his game which is good and all....
but unless he gets 120 points a year his contract still isnt worth it

King Woodballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2010, 11:51 AM
HCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xss View Post
We don't, we pay him $8 million

HCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2010, 11:52 AM
Galchenyum
AGally+BGally

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Woodballs View Post
Good thing you're not the one paying it huh?

Happy for Gomez, I'm a big supporter of him and I hope he keeps it up!

Galchenyum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2010, 11:52 AM
Schooner Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Nilan View Post
I know people here hate on Gomez and were posting long and loud about Pouliot and/or Gionta coming in to help him get going, BUT did anyone else notice that he has 16 pts in his last 16 games, most of which were played without either of his two supposed saviours?

Gomez needs to play with people who finish and lately guys have been, especially on the power play. He's a playmaker and like others before him is prone to bad give-aways b/c he holds on too long or makes ill-advised passes. These go with the territory.

However, the fact that power plays go into ruts also suggests that the team still needs a guy who can score a goal, especially 5 on 5. I'm not convinced we have anyone like that right now and we haven't since Richer was good.

You can hate on Gomez all you want, but his play is a symptom, not an illness as far as this team goes.
Many posters here have never stepped onto a playing field or ice surface in their life and therefore have no idea how an injury can hamper a player's effectiveness. Gomez looked good the first few games of the season but then it was obvious that he was playing hurt and eventually had to shut it down for a while to rest his sore groin. Most hockey players/teams don't like to broadcast when a player is playing hurt and many posters on this board don't have the intellectual capacity to analyze a situation and think "gee, maybe he's playing hurt".....it's way over their head.

Yes, Gomez is overpaid but he's still a damn good two-way centre and he's a definite asset to this team.

Schooner Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2010, 11:56 AM
HCH

I am pleasantly surprised how the Pouliot, Gomez, Gionta line is performing. Pouliot definitely has the speed to keep up, which Latendresse did not and he is a more polished player than Pacioretty at this point.

The unfortunate thing about Gomez is his contract. It doesn't hurt us this year but it could for the next few after that. But I guess in the new NHL we have to take things one year at a time.

HCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2010, 11:58 AM
Little Nilan

Send a message via AIM to Little Nilan
He has problems with turnovers, but he's really good at both ends of the ice. I don't like the fact he needs specific types of players to get going offensively, but since he has them here in Montreal I guess it's ok. I like his fundamentals a lot, he does a lot of little plays that go unnoticed. He can also play in any situation, which is something Plekanec can do as well. We have two centers who play a great two way game, that's nice.

Little Nilan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2010, 12:03 PM
Little Nilan

Send a message via AIM to Little Nilan
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Woodballs View Post
How many players hit 120 points since the lockout? Only 1 of them gets paid 7M. Are you saying every other forward getting paid 7M+ is not worth it?

Little Nilan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2010, 12:07 PM
Mats NAslund

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xss View Post
Can't beleive Lecavalier is only making 10 million.....

There are very few players that are worth the money they are paid. Get off the salary Gomez makes and be happy Lapierre is not the second line C in Montreal!

Gomez is playing well and only getting better!

Mats NAslund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2010, 12:17 PM
Coldplay
Courage

I love what Gomez brings to the table, and am glad he has shut the ****ing haters up.

Coldplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2010, 12:23 PM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

I was a huge supporter of the move to bring in Gomez, and I did have my doubts at times this year but like the original poster mentioned it was relatively clear to anyone who knows anything about hockey that he was playing hurt. He wasn't flying through the neutral zone at full speed and beating the opposition with speed, now he is doing it again like he was in early October when he was in tip top shape.

He does have PPG potential, and let's not forget he and Brian Gionta have some of the best chemistry in the entire NHL and he and Brian both play at *such* a higher level together.

I don't want to go off topic, but I think our 1-2 punch at center is one of the better ones out there. Obviously size is a little detrimental, but in terms of all around effectiveness they are up there. Sound defense, *excellent* playmaking, can't ask for much more.

JGRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2010, 12:24 PM
Lizard King*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hub City Hab View Post
We don't, we pay him $8 million
Wow what a steal

Lizard King* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2010, 12:46 PM
Maliki2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Nilan View Post

We have two in the top 30 right now. The way Gomer is playing we could have three soon enough. People will never be happy. Just like the Halak haters....he could win 40 in a row and lose one and people would jump on him. Glad Gomez is silencing the critics!

Maliki2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2010, 01:08 PM
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou

Gomez will never win because of his salary, but once you're past that, he's a heck of a good player.

+ He's gold during interviews which is a good thing because it gives swagger to this team.

Myron Gaines* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2010, 01:29 PM
Drydenwasthebest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rated R Superstar View Post
Gomez will never win because of his salary, but once you're past that, he's a heck of a good player.

+ He's gold during interviews which is a good thing because it gives swagger to this team.
I admit, I hated the Gomez trade when it happened. I even posted that Gainey should be fired due to it.

I stand corrected, and apologize to Gainey and Gomez.

I still hate the salary Gomez gets, and hate the loss of McDonough, but Gomez is a very good player who busts his @$$ on the ice! After watchibg him hustle during preseason games on the PK, to seeing him finally get to work with Gionta while both are healthy with a healthy Markov, I am starting tp think the Habs have a legitimate chance to challenge for the Cup... As long as we stay healthy, Plekanec keeps playing the way he has, Price gets more consistent, and the PGG line continues to do as well as they have recently, I HAVE HOPE!

So. As of this point, I was wrong about Gomez. I pray that I continue to be wrong about him, and will eat a ton of crow when he holds the Cup for us...

Drydenwasthebest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2010, 01:31 PM
Drydenwasthebest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rated R Superstar View Post

Can I ask who the picture is of that you are using as an avatar?

Drydenwasthebest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2010, 02:03 PM
Miller Time

he's had a good december production-wise...

hopefully he can keep up close to that pace for the rest of the year. It's clear he'll never play up to the level of his contract, but the .5ppg pace he was on until his recent hot streak was killing us.

We NEED him to be a 60-70pt guy over the next 4 years to have any hope at being competitive, because we simply can't afford to bring in additional help.

Good jog scottie, keep it up!

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2010, 02:03 PM
Vicious

Send a message via MSN to Vicious
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drydenwasthebest View Post
Can I ask who the picture is of that you are using as an avatar?
Emmanuelle Chirqui

Vicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2010, 02:14 PM
beowulf
Poster of the Year!

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfan18 View Post
He's definitely picked up his game lately, which is good for us.

I'm loving the Pouliot-Gomez-Gionta line.
Agreed, that line has been solid. Never hated the dude and as mentioned by others in the past, if not for the salary people would love him.

beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2010, 03:22 PM
Crimson Skorpion

Awards:
Loved him when we picked him up in that trade, still love him now. I understand he wasn't producing at the beginning and his turnovers were bad (still are quite bad), but now that he has his linemates that he needs in order to produce, I think it's time for him to receive his due.

I think it's time to get off his arse for the money he makes and just enjoy the great hockey he's been playing.

Crimson Skorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2010, 03:42 PM
HabuseMoi

contracts tend to go from beign horrible to be a bargain down the road, I like what he brings to the team, he may be taking too much space on the cap but he's still a good asset to this team (even if he falls behind some other less paid player on the roster in term of talent, contribution and production).

On the other hand, we have a guy like Plekanec who is currently playing like he is a top 10 player in the league at around 2 millions (? don't remember the exact amount). So basically, if you switch around both of their salary, it kinda evens out doesn't it?

HabuseMoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2010, 03:59 PM
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou

This is gold

Myron Gaines* is offline   Reply With Quote