HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Latendresse traded to Wild for Benoit Pouliot, Part 3

Closed Thread

Old
11-28-2009, 10:34 PM
totalrecall

vCash: 500
I want tender back

Old
11-28-2009, 10:47 PM
holyhabs87

vCash: 2009
great play by nolan to shoot for a rebound from along the boards. lats drives to the net and sees the puck on his stick and an empty net in front of him for an easy goal.

turns out to be big as the wild won.

Old
11-28-2009, 10:48 PM
m00ks

Good on Lats but he's gone and I was patient enough/

Quote:
Originally Posted by holyhabs87 View Post
great play by nolan to shoot for a rebound from along the boards. lats drives to the net and sees the puck on his stick and an empty net in front of him for an easy goal.

turns out to be big as the wild won.
That's all he had to do here.

Old
11-28-2009, 11:07 PM
Corey

Who cares about him now? The Habs have Pacioretty, who fits in better. Also, the excuse that Latendresse played on the 3rd line was BS. Travis Moen has 6 goals and Moen has seldom played on anything but the 3rd line. Finally, we have yet to hear from Benoit Pouliot. In conclusion, Latendresse was never one of the best players on the Habs.

Old
11-28-2009, 11:25 PM
Kafka

Quote:
Originally Posted by m00ks View Post

For guys of his size, you need patience until he reaches 25 years old.

We will regret that one if Pouliot can't turn in that solid big centerman we have been looking for for so long. Yes, you read it here: they will try to move him at center.

Old
11-28-2009, 11:39 PM
Mathletic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kafka View Post
there you go, every player he's compared to never turned it up before 25 and in most cases 30 like Bertuzzi, Ponikarovsky, Knuble, Holmstrom and so on. So, I don't get the argument that the upside goes in favor of Pouliot. Latendresse is already ahead of those guys at the same age and all those other players started picking it up in their mid to late 20s.

Old
11-28-2009, 11:50 PM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kafka View Post

We will regret that one if Pouliot can't turn in that solid big centerman we have been looking for for so long. Yes, you read it here: they will try to move him at center.

the question, which will never be answered is whether he was ever going to progress in montreal. Lets face it, there were alot of outside factors involved for Gui compared to other players. He looked pretty comfortable out there as a hab... almost too comfortable as if he believed certain portions of the media who touted him to be a pretty good hockey player already.

I think he's got a higher chance of succeeding in Minny, but for every big man that broke out at age 25, there's a jim sandlak, patrick poulin, scott Thornton, fedor fedorov etc... Having said that, if he does become a top six guy in minny, I'm not automatically going to assume that he was going to do the same under the conditions in montreal... its not that simple.

Last edited by Hackett: 11-28-2009 at 11:59 PM.
Old
11-28-2009, 11:55 PM
JackZap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfan18 View Post
Latendresse just scored.
probably 1 more goal than Pouliot will score this yr

Old
11-29-2009, 12:07 AM
JackZap

Quote:
Originally Posted by m00ks View Post

he also played 16mins as opposedto the 6 he was playing here. in any case,i think this was more of a $ decision more than anything else. With arbitration he was gonna cost around 2M and Habs didnt have the money to pay him.I rather keep that cash and try to sign Pleks

Old
11-29-2009, 12:07 AM
zx81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Good on him...I hope he lights it up to quiet some of the idiotic posts on here lately.
He would score 40 goals and they would still say that it was the right move by Gainey and Martin. Just think about Ribeiro.

This is HFBoards for you.

The kid was badly misused this year. Anyone denying it knows nothing about hockey.

Old
11-29-2009, 12:27 AM
InglewoodJack

vCash: 1340
Well, I'm sorry, but this is a good move. Does anyone think that there was anything possible with Latendresse? In Montreal, it won't work. You can't change a player and expect him to be great. It would never work with Martin, and frankly Martin is more valuable than Gui.

Old
11-29-2009, 12:30 AM
kernkraft

People are going to ***** and moan every time he scores a goal for Minny now.

Old
11-29-2009, 12:40 AM
Dogbert*

Send a message via MSN to Dogbert*
Quote:
Originally Posted by zx81 View Post
He would score 40 goals and they would still say that it was the right move by Gainey and Martin. Just think about Ribeiro.

The kid was badly misused this year. Anyone denying it knows nothing about hockey.
Latendresse didn't get playing time because he didn't earn it. He loafed on the ice, moped around off of it, and ended up running himself out of Montreal.

I like the trade because it shows that the concept of accountability has finally arrived at the Bell Centre. Maybe this will force Lats to learn that he isn't all that just because the French media all lined up the instant he was drafted.

Last edited by Habs10Habs: 12-03-2009 at 01:50 AM. Reason: Edited out unnecessary comment.
Old
11-29-2009, 01:08 AM
zx81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogbert View Post
Latendresse didn't get playing time because he didn't earn it.
Yeah of course.
He plays a great game against Carolina.
Next game he's playing 4 minutes on the 4th line.
What was the message ?
Talk about a way to confuse a player.

Lats was excellent last year when he had confidence.
He was part of our best line for quite a big stretch.
This season he could not get his confidence back because he wasn't supported by his coach. As soon as he was making a mistake on the ice he was benched.

And it makes me laugh when some say he had his chances on the top 2 lines. He didn't. His only games on a so called second line were with Pleks and....Lapierre. He never played with 2 offensive players this season.

I'm not saying he was not to blame at all but it's clear that he was not one of Martin's favorite and was misused.

Anyway I think this thread should be closed too. Opinions won't change for sure.

Hope Lats does well in MIN.

Old
11-29-2009, 01:12 AM
BobbyFischer*

Pouliot > Latendresse

Watch.

Old
11-29-2009, 01:15 AM
holyhabs87

LOL

so when lats plays with TWO offensive players who can produce only then will he be able to produce...seriously why do we even care if he left then?

that fits a career 3rd line player. he will never be one of those top 2 offensive players whcih is the whole point.

its hilarious..there wasnt even this much of a fit when a 27 goal scorer left the team in the summer.

Old
11-29-2009, 01:25 AM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathletic View Post
there you go, every player he's compared to never turned it up before 25 and in most cases 30 like Bertuzzi, Ponikarovsky, Knuble, Holmstrom and so on. So, I don't get the argument that the upside goes in favor of Pouliot. Latendresse is already ahead of those guys at the same age and all those other players started picking it up in their mid to late 20s.
I guess, and I'm really going out on a limb here, that no one deserves a reserved parking spot for 7 years on a pro sports team, ahead of better players, because he's a) French, and b) might turn out to be the next Holmstrom in 7 years. He can't be sent down, or someone would certainly claim him. So what do you do? Either be patient with him and come up with new excuses as to why he's still in the lineup, perhaps for years as he struggles, that DON'T involve the language issue, or you trade him if you think you can land someone better.

All the power to him and his new future in Minnesota. Maybe he can look at coming back to Montreal some day, if/when he turns into the next Holmstrom. That'd be great. In the mean time, as a fan, I eagerly look forward to watching my favourite team as it seems to be improving its talent and entertainment value piece by piece.

And the upside is definitely higher in Pouliot. The skating and skill level is not even up for debate. Add in that one guy went 4th overall, and the other was projected to go first round, but fell to the second, and that should be all the hint you need as far as potential/"upside". The only "downside", is that the Habs have one fewer homeboy for the locals to cheer, and a small chance that he may turn out to be good someday, and the Habs might not be able to get him back without giving up too much.

Old
11-29-2009, 01:28 AM
zx81

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyFischer View Post
Pouliot > Latendresse

Watch.
We'll see.
So far Pouliot is a bust.
Not too tough to beat.
Don't get me wrong I hope Pouliot does well though

Old
11-29-2009, 01:30 AM
Metropolitsky
Still 4x more cups

Quote:
We'll see.
So far Pouliot is a bust.
Not too tough to beat.
Don't get me wrong I hope Pouliot does well though
LOl you'r giving up on Pouliot and you don't understand why people gave up on the Fat boy

Quote:

So you think that people who don't think like you don't know nothing

Last edited by Habs10Habs: 12-03-2009 at 01:51 AM. Reason: Merge
Old
11-29-2009, 01:33 AM
zx81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metropolitsky View Post
LOl you'r giving up on Pouliot and you don't understand why people gave up on the Fat boy
Maybe because he scored 15 goals per season with limited ice time while Pouliot has yet to score more than 5 in a season ?

Just an idea.

Old
11-29-2009, 01:35 AM
holyhabs87

we gave up a complementary player for someone who can be a primary player. the risk (if you can even call it that) is well worth it!

Old
11-29-2009, 01:38 AM
zx81

Anyway I didn't want to participate in this thread. ARGHHH
I know it can't end well if I continue.
I just hate bad faith...and there is plenty in this thread.

Bottom line is that I think it was a mistake to trade Lats.

Old
11-29-2009, 01:42 AM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Maybe because he scored 15 goals per season with limited ice time while Pouliot has yet to score more than 5 in a season ?

Just an idea.
Yeah, those are great stats. It must suck for your season simulator that you probably keep up-to-date with trades meticulously. Tossing stats aside, I'll be happier with Pouliot than Tender if the number of times I yell at the TV wondering why that left winger was there, why he did that, what he was thinking, what is weighing down his skates, or why he can't seem to keep up with and/or read the play, decreases.

Old
11-29-2009, 01:51 AM
Ginu

This sums it up for me. I was at the game tonight and after Backstrom scored in the shootout and we lost, the guys in front of me say (in French) Latendresse should have been here he would have been a difference. They don't mention Gomez, Gionta, Markov, or Andrei, they mention Latendresse. This is what our fan base has been reduced to.

Old
11-29-2009, 02:00 AM
JackZap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginu View Post
This sums it up for me. I was at the game tonight and after Backstrom scored in the shootout and we lost, the guys in front of me say (in French) Latendresse should have been here he would have been a difference. They don't mention Gomez, Gionta, Markov, or Andrei, they mention Latendresse. This is what our fan base has been reduced to.
french ppl over-rated and over-protected him whereas english ppl berated him and found every fault they could. It is what it is, truth lies some where in the middle. I still have my doubts if players like White or Pyatt can score 16.

Closed Thread