HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Defensive Depth

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-27-2009, 01:25 PM
  #26
hockeyball
Registered User
 
hockeyball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 17,779
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 210 View Post
You want to trade Couture?

Sorry...no...
I like Couture, but we need defensive depth and we have center depth to spare.

You gotta trade someone. Other teams don't want our trash anymore than we do.

hockeyball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2009, 01:35 PM
  #27
one2gamble
Registered User
 
one2gamble's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 5,959
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyball View Post
I like Couture, but we need defensive depth and we have center depth to spare.
not really

Pavs and Patty are basically unsigned. Manny/Nichol is on a 1 year deal. So basically you have Mitchell and Thornton. Juicy is the only guy in the minors that might have second line potential at the moment.

one2gamble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2009, 01:39 PM
  #28
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus
 
The Nemesis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Langley, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 48,147
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyball View Post
I like Couture, but we need defensive depth and we have center depth to spare.

You gotta trade someone. Other teams don't want our trash anymore than we do.
Now is probably not a good time to trade Couture. At season's end basically all of our centers are up for some manner of free agency except for Thornton, Mitchell, and Couture (ok, technically Ferriero is listed as a center by some places, but I've only ever seen him playing wing). While it's unlikely the team loses all of Pavelski, Marleau, Nichol, and Malhotra, the fact is that it's possible we lose 2 or even 3 of them plus that Couture is showing to be ready or close to ready for a full time NHL gig. Even being a center aside, Couture could probably be a cheap top 6 wing replacement if the team loses Marleau (or put Couture at center and Pavelski on the wing like some people suggested).

I know you have to give to get, and that it's always best to trade from wherever you have depth, but the Sharks' center depth is something that is potentially very short-term.

EDIT: figures someone else beats me to the punch while I was writing.

__________________

"Do you know what "nemesis" means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent."
'14-15 Sharks CI Tracker: 22 GP, 8-10-4 (home-away-Nat'l/In-Region)
Sorry, I am not taking signature requests at this time.
The Nemesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2009, 01:44 PM
  #29
one2gamble
Registered User
 
one2gamble's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 5,959
vCash: 500
you were just a bit long winded that time nem

one2gamble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2009, 03:20 PM
  #30
ThorntonFan19
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 3,803
vCash: 500
Joslin + 2nd for White?

ThorntonFan19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2009, 04:43 PM
  #31
StalockSuperfan
Registered User
 
StalockSuperfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Boston, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 1,690
vCash: 500
White is a great player, and his cap hit makes my mouth water, but I don't think he fills our need for a solid minute-munching stay-at-home defensive defenseman. I would be much more interested in Beauchimen (sp?) but I doubt he would be available.

StalockSuperfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2009, 08:33 PM
  #32
Pinkfloyd
Registered User
 
Pinkfloyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Roseville
Country: United States
Posts: 33,397
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafErikson View Post
Ya, my bad. I could swear he was a UFA, but I obviously mixed him up with Stajan.

As for Ponikarovsky, I'm not sure he would be available. And most definitely not at the price of a dwindling prospect in Patrick White. Nick Patrecki, or even better, Logan Couture would be of far more interest. Otherwise he'd likely go for a 2nd rounder. But he's also a favourite of Wilson, and Burke. As is White, for that matter. So prying him away would take a good bit of convincing.
Patrick White left unsigned will turn into the 55th selection or a 2nd rounder. That's why I threw him in there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 210 View Post
You want to trade Couture?

Sorry...no...
I don't have a desire to trade Couture anymore than you do but he is our most valuable expendable asset at this point. I find it hard to believe that Joe Pavelski won't be signed long-term so our top three will be set for a while because Thornton won't go anywhere either. And Mitchell's here too. Our top three centers are pretty much good to go and the 4th center is whoever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThorntonFan19 View Post
Joslin + 2nd for White?
That's not going to get it done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley cup pleeease View Post
White is a great player, and his cap hit makes my mouth water, but I don't think he fills our need for a solid minute-munching stay-at-home defensive defenseman. I would be much more interested in Beauchimen (sp?) but I doubt he would be available.
White is a defensively responsible blue liner with offensive punch. He leads a bad Leafs team with a +5 while logging 22 minutes a night and putting up 13 points in 21 games. He may not be a stay-at-home defensive defenseman but with Vlasic, we don't really need a 2nd shutdown guy. A guy with versatility eating up those minutes would serve the team well. This team could use another guy capable of doing things on the power play. I don't think we can wait for Vlasic to grow into the role he's struggling in right now.

Pinkfloyd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2009, 08:40 PM
  #33
Kitten Mittons
Registered User
 
Kitten Mittons's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: San Francisco
Country: Armenia
Posts: 47,626
vCash: 500
Ian White would look great in teal:


Clowe + our White for their White.

I wouldn't mind a big trade where we can someone of Weber caliber but White is definitely clutch enough to improve our defense.

Kitten Mittons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2009, 08:48 PM
  #34
allworldcaucasn*
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Bay Area
Country: United States
Posts: 4,659
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to allworldcaucasn*
A non-Sharks poster mentioned Clowe+Couture+1st for Kaberle and Stajan. That is something I would do.

allworldcaucasn* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2009, 08:51 PM
  #35
Kitten Mittons
Registered User
 
Kitten Mittons's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: San Francisco
Country: Armenia
Posts: 47,626
vCash: 500
I don't want Kaberle at all. And I don't think Toronto would want to trade their leading scorer.

Kitten Mittons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2009, 09:09 PM
  #36
210
Registered User
 
210's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Worcester, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 9,679
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJfortheCUP View Post
A non-Sharks poster mentioned Clowe+Couture+1st for Kaberle and Stajan. That is something I would do.
That's why you're not a GM.

210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2009, 09:21 PM
  #37
allworldcaucasn*
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Bay Area
Country: United States
Posts: 4,659
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to allworldcaucasn*
Pffff, who wouldn't want Kaberle. Trippen!

allworldcaucasn* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2009, 01:18 AM
  #38
Mr Irrelevant
Registered User
 
Mr Irrelevant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 310
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJfortheCUP View Post
Pffff, who wouldn't want Kaberle. Trippen!
We'd be over the cap, no?

And a reminder to all who want a pick back from Toronto in any of these ideas, they already gave away all the good ones!

Mr Irrelevant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2009, 01:28 AM
  #39
Graveland
HONE YOUR CRAFT
 
Graveland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Sunnyvale
Country: United States
Posts: 11,523
vCash: 500
If the sharks give up Couture it better be to get someone like Suter.

Graveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2009, 01:30 AM
  #40
Pinkfloyd
Registered User
 
Pinkfloyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Roseville
Country: United States
Posts: 33,397
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graveland View Post
If the sharks give up Couture it better be to get someone like Suter.
Which I would do in a heartbeat. The Sharks are going to need a #2 type defenseman to eventually replace Blake.

Pinkfloyd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2009, 02:02 AM
  #41
ThorntonFan19
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 3,803
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkfloyd View Post

That's not going to get it done.
Maybe not but there is not way in hell White alone gets a top six forward (like Clowe). The guy is the #7/-8 dman on the Leafs (and would be the #5-6 on the sharks)

If they give one of their top centermen away for a 2nd at the deadline (antropov) why wouldn't they give #7/#8 dman away for a 2nd alone (not to mention Joslin)?

If we had to add something I would add a 3rd but nothing more.

ThorntonFan19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2009, 02:13 AM
  #42
Pinkfloyd
Registered User
 
Pinkfloyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Roseville
Country: United States
Posts: 33,397
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThorntonFan19 View Post
Maybe not but there is not way in hell White alone gets a top six forward (like Clowe). The guy is the #7/-8 dman on the Leafs (and would be the #5-6 on the sharks)

If they give one of their top centermen away for a 2nd at the deadline (antropov) why wouldn't they give #7/#8 dman away for a 2nd alone (not to mention Joslin)?

If we had to add something I would add a 3rd but nothing more.
You need to do a lot more research on Ian White because it's apparent you haven't a clue what you're talking about here. Ian White is the #3 on the Leafs squad and it is ridiculous to claim he'd be #5 or 6 on the Sharks. When Blake is healthy, Ian White would be #3 and push Blake to 4.

Antropov is a completely different asset compared to Ian White right now. Antropov was their top center but he's not a #1 on a good team. He was also a UFA not likely to return whereas White is an RFA. Big differences in value here.

Clowe for White is an even deal as it stands. It's if the Sharks want to acquire someone like Ponikarovsky as well to replace Clowe now or run with McGinn that would be the questionable part about my idea between the two teams.

Pinkfloyd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2009, 02:40 AM
  #43
StalockSuperfan
Registered User
 
StalockSuperfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Boston, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 1,690
vCash: 500
Is White for sure available?

StalockSuperfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2009, 03:00 AM
  #44
sjshark91
Registered User
 
sjshark91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Country:
Posts: 24,565
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley cup pleeease View Post
Is White for sure available?
He's playing really good so I would say no way Toronto trades him.

sjshark91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2009, 03:10 AM
  #45
matt trick
Registered User
 
matt trick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 7,878
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley cup pleeease View Post
Is White for sure available?
Toronto fans and (from what I understand) Burke seem to really like him. But they have Kaberle, Beauchmein, Komarisek, Schenn, Finger, White, and a couple of solid defensive prospects. They have a single forward I'd take over Clowe in our top 6 in Kessel and will eventually have another in Kadri. In short their defense is deep and their forwards suck. Komarisek and Beauchmein were just signed, and I don't think they will get Burke's asking price for Kaberle. Schenn, despite being nominated for trade by a select few Torontorian fools, is going nowhere. That leaves them with an extra top 4 d-man with a great cap hit to bring in a top 6 forward.

Why, I like White:
He plays 22 minutes on a deep defense, including big even strength minutes, and 2nd pairing on both special teams. He is solid defensively (though IMO overrated by Toronto fans, everyone else underrates him) and he should hit 40+ points this year. He also has a solid point shot. More importantly, he would instantly knock Douglas Murray to a bottom pairing spot with big pk time, where he can play an ideal role. He also adds a bit of physicality, as evidenced by his hit and fight with Erik Cole a while back. Most importantly though, White is dirt cheap with a 850k cap hit and than RFA afterwards, meaning either we keep him as fixture in the top 4 (he is only 25), or lose him to an offer sheet. His low cap hit means that, in theory, we could use only Jody Shelly and futures to acquire him, but I wouldn't be surprised if they demanded Clowe.

matt trick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2009, 03:44 AM
  #46
Pinkfloyd
Registered User
 
Pinkfloyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Roseville
Country: United States
Posts: 33,397
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt trick View Post
Toronto fans and (from what I understand) Burke seem to really like him. But they have Kaberle, Beauchmein, Komarisek, Schenn, Finger, White, and a couple of solid defensive prospects. They have a single forward I'd take over Clowe in our top 6 in Kessel and will eventually have another in Kadri. In short their defense is deep and their forwards suck. Komarisek and Beauchmein were just signed, and I don't think they will get Burke's asking price for Kaberle. Schenn, despite being nominated for trade by a select few Torontorian fools, is going nowhere. That leaves them with an extra top 4 d-man with a great cap hit to bring in a top 6 forward.

Why, I like White:
He plays 22 minutes on a deep defense, including big even strength minutes, and 2nd pairing on both special teams. He is solid defensively (though IMO overrated by Toronto fans, everyone else underrates him) and he should hit 40+ points this year. He also has a solid point shot. More importantly, he would instantly knock Douglas Murray to a bottom pairing spot with big pk time, where he can play an ideal role. He also adds a bit of physicality, as evidenced by his hit and fight with Erik Cole a while back. Most importantly though, White is dirt cheap with a 850k cap hit and than RFA afterwards, meaning either we keep him as fixture in the top 4 (he is only 25), or lose him to an offer sheet. His low cap hit means that, in theory, we could use only Jody Shelly and futures to acquire him, but I wouldn't be surprised if they demanded Clowe.
I would totally do White and Ponikarovsky for Clowe, Huskins, White, and a 2nd. Leafs get their power forward and essentially two 2nds. Sharks get their top four and Clowe replacement.

Pinkfloyd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2009, 03:50 AM
  #47
Kitten Mittons
Registered User
 
Kitten Mittons's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: San Francisco
Country: Armenia
Posts: 47,626
vCash: 500
What's your obsession with Ponikarovsky? Maple Leafs need forwards, we don't.

Kitten Mittons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2009, 03:55 AM
  #48
StalockSuperfan
Registered User
 
StalockSuperfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Boston, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 1,690
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkfloyd View Post
I would totally do White and Ponikarovsky for Clowe, Huskins, White, and a 2nd. Leafs get their power forward and essentially two 2nds. Sharks get their top four and Clowe replacement.
I'd rather just add a defenseman instead of replacing. I'm assuming we're talking about a deadline deal here, so we should have the cap space. I'd rather have 7 NHL defensemen for the playoffs so if someone gets hurt he is replaced by Huskins instead of Joslin or Callahan.

StalockSuperfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2009, 04:17 AM
  #49
matt trick
Registered User
 
matt trick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 7,878
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley cup pleeease View Post
I'd rather just add a defenseman instead of replacing. I'm assuming we're talking about a deadline deal here, so we should have the cap space. I'd rather have 7 NHL defensemen for the playoffs so if someone gets hurt he is replaced by Huskins instead of Joslin or Callahan.
My thinking as well. I like that we don't have to throw in something extra to lose Huskins and keep Clowe (for now- I still see him being traded before next year).

I'd have no qualms about seeing this:

Marleau-Thornton-Heatley
Clowe-Pavelski-Setoguchi
Malhorta-Nichol-Ortmeyer
McGinn-Mitchell-Ferrerio/McLaren/Staubitz

Boyle-Murray
Vlasic-White
Blake-Demers
Huskins

You could also play all 7 d-man and take turns having the top 6 (and the big three+Setoguchi in particular) fill in with McGinn and Mitchell. That gives us a solid, varied group of defenseman who hold down different roles, and we keep a killer group of forwards.

matt trick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2009, 10:43 AM
  #50
Lars Bjorn
Registered User
 
Lars Bjorn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 459
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt trick View Post
My thinking as well. I like that we don't have to throw in something extra to lose Huskins and keep Clowe (for now- I still see him being traded before next year).

I'd have no qualms about seeing this:

Marleau-Thornton-Heatley
Clowe-Pavelski-Setoguchi
Malhorta-Nichol-Ortmeyer
McGinn-Mitchell-Ferrerio/McLaren/Staubitz

Boyle-Murray
Vlasic-White
Blake-Demers
Huskins

You could also play all 7 d-man and take turns having the top 6 (and the big three+Setoguchi in particular) fill in with McGinn and Mitchell. That gives us a solid, varied group of defenseman who hold down different roles, and we keep a killer group of forwards.
I'm not sure that we could acquire him for the price you're suggesting, but if we could, this does look like a good lineup (prefer Marleau on 2nd for more balanced scoring but w/e)

Lars Bjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:44 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.