HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

Kings v. Nucks: Post game THOUGHTS & TIDBITS

Old
11-27-2009, 01:12 AM
LAX attack*

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to LAX attack*
I think it needs to be repeated again.

This was the 2nd game in a back-to-back on the road against a pretty decent team against an excellent goalie.

LAX attack* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2009, 01:17 AM
Legionnaire
Kill! Jeff, Kill!!!

Jack Johnson played almost 30 minutes.

Legionnaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2009, 01:37 AM
dabeechman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doughty Number 8 View Post
Some of your acts get old. Yeah, we all know you want Jack Johnson to get 50 minutes of ice time and that the Kings should just stop playing defense.
Johnson with almost 29 minutes is pretty close! The last couple games TM has been playing the hell out of him.

dabeechman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2009, 01:37 AM
TonySCV
One More Time

If the Kings somehow manage to get 1 or 2 points from Chicago on Monday, they'll wind up at either .500 or a game over .500 for the 2nd most brutal month of the season - that isn't bad at all considering there were 8 road games and only 5 home games this month.

(If you think this month was bad - have a look at next month, which does win the award for worst all season schedule-wise. YEESH. It gets much better for the Kings starting in January.)

TonySCV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2009, 01:55 AM
Zad
HFB Partner

Tony, I'm starting to think your avatar may be partly responsible for Brown's woes. Go back to Stewie or something else for a couple of weeks and let's see what happens.

Zad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2009, 01:57 AM
kingsfan28
Viva Los Cucarachas!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonySCV View Post
If the Kings somehow manage to get 1 or 2 points from Chicago on Monday, they'll wind up at either .500 or a game over .500 for the 2nd most brutal month of the season - that isn't bad at all considering there were 8 road games and only 5 home games this month.

(If you think this month was bad - have a look at next month, which does win the award for worst all season schedule-wise. YEESH. It gets much better for the Kings starting in January.)
Hopefully December will be the month to remember when all the points are added up.

kingsfan28 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2009, 02:07 AM
Quattro

just got done watching my tivo of the game. The whole time I was thinking "Brown is really playing well tonight, I'll bet the usual suspects on HF are trashing him". So predictable.

Quick played his best game in quite awhile. Probably the quietest game I've seen from Kopitar in a while. Luongo and the Sedins line were tough tonight.

Oh, and another atrocious homer color announcer on the Canuck broadcast. Man, canadien broadcasts are bad.

Quattro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2009, 02:41 AM
bland

Brown had a couple of solid drives to the net, especially in the second period, and a great dish to Williams in the first that went off of Bieska's ankle and went wide.

That is all you can say about his game, oh, except for the fact that he was on the ice for all four Canuck goals, but you blind supporters can feel free to look the other way on that one if you would like.

Seriously, if anyone thinks that he had a "great" game, you are just fooling yourself. He played a "better" game, and thats about it.

bland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2009, 03:31 AM
Chris43

Brown -4

Chris43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2009, 04:00 AM
JDM
HFB Partner

Brown had a good game compared to how he has been playing lately, not compared to how he is capable of playing, which is still better than this. The main thing I loved was all his speed.

Its nice watching someone on this team move their ****ing feet like they really want that puck or to break loose. It has been lacking as a whole from the team, so any injection of that is nice. Hopefully he keeps that part up and others will catch on. Some serious speed from at least two players on the ice at a time is the only remedy to Murray's system other than scrapping it, which we all know he will never do.

JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2009, 04:34 AM
JDM
HFB Partner

About Quick, he was very good tonight from what I saw of the game (half the second and the third), but I am kind of amazed no one mentioned that he is still having some trouble with over-challenging. Since it seems relatively new to his game, I am going to assume it is his overcompensating for how often he as getting beating high on easy shots earlier in the season. I prefer he challenge strong than play too deep to keep the high corners covered. When he gets Potvin's glove hand, he can play deep. Still... I hope he balances that out soon and challanges at the top of the paint instead of outside it.

I thought Schenn was really good on the PK, what time he got. Though Loktionov definitely played a stronger game.

Kopitar had a few good shifts, showed a few flashes of life, but jeez... wake up dude.

Who did Greene demolish along the boards in the corners? That was a nice hit.

JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2009, 05:13 AM
KingLB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quattro View Post
just got done watching my tivo of the game. The whole time I was thinking "Brown is really playing well tonight, I'll bet the usual suspects on HF are trashing him". So predictable.

Quick played his best game in quite awhile. Probably the quietest game I've seen from Kopitar in a while. Luongo and the Sedins line were tough tonight.

Oh, and another atrocious homer color announcer on the Canuck broadcast. Man, canadien broadcasts are bad.
Agreed on Brown, everybody on this team cries that nobody drives the net Brown drove the net at least 3 times tonight with the puck.

Or how about the people crying about the -4, it was his fault the face off was lost and the defense men got beat to the front of the net twice or how about a 3on2 and Jones gets beat to the front of the net some how(I'll tell you how Jones is slower than Ratman), or even better the empty netter was his fault.

KingLB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2009, 05:48 AM
JT Dutch*
Cult of Personality

... OK, just saw a replay of the game since I couldn't see it live.

I think those that have said it was merely a back-to-back on the road against a good goaltender are right-on. Obviously it's disappointing to lose, but realistically the Kings are in a state of flux right now and this sort of thing is going to happen.

Kopitar's usually poor on the draw -- but last night he was abused, losing 15 of 22.

Doughty wasn't too bad last night, but he's directly responsible for Burrows' goal. He just got physically overmatched.

Brown I thought had a fine game and didn't deserve the -4. He was putting pucks on net all night, and he had a few takeaways to boot. Too bad he couldn't finish off a couple of those chances.

Quick was good, but he was outplayed by Luongo. No shame in that at all. Gave up too big of a rebound on the Sedin goal.

You know who I thought had a good game? Richardson. He made the most of his 13 minutes.

I said on another BB that Simmonds looks like a 25-goal scorer RIGHT NOW. There is nothing this man cannot do.

I think Drewiske played poorly, as did Williams. How Williams got almost 20 minutes in that game is a mystery.

Johnson played another fine game. Handzus should have been out there more, too, as he was playing well.

Purcell continues to be snake-bit.

Jones made a great play on the Kings' goal, and a lousy play on the goal by Glass. Overall he played OK I suppose.

Schenn threw his body around, got involved. He was worked in the face-off circle but that's to be expected.

I don't see what the big deal is about Raitis, he played about 7 1/2 minutes in the game total.

JT Dutch* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2009, 06:20 AM
aegwillnotwinthecup*

Since we won the Stanley Cup in early November, er, I mean beat a depleted Pens team, here are some interesting stats:

Games Played: 10
Record: 4-6-0
Goals scored: 19, or 1.9 a game, which would put us dead last in the league
Goals surrendered: 33, or 3.3 a game, which would put us bottom ten in the league
Kopitar: 10 games played, 1 goal, 7 assists, -5, currently riding an eight game goal scoring drought
Quick: 3 wins, 6 losses, 6 games under .900 save percentage
Power Play: 6 for 40, or 15%

aegwillnotwinthecup* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2009, 06:38 AM
BigKing
Spot Picker

Quote:
Originally Posted by aegwillnotwinthecup View Post
Since we won the Stanley Cup in early November, er, I mean beat a depleted Pens team, here are some interesting stats:

Games Played: 10
Record: 4-6-0
Goals scored: 19, or 1.9 a game, which would put us dead last in the league
Goals surrendered: 33, or 3.3 a game, which would put us bottom ten in the league
Kopitar: 10 games played, 1 goal, 7 assists, -5, currently riding an eight game goal scoring drought
Quick: 3 wins, 6 losses, 6 games under .900 save percentage
Power Play: 6 for 40, or 15%
Yeah...they've been **** for the most part. 8 points in 10 games with the majority on the road is not bad considering the injuries.

The biggest need this team had in the off-season, according to the players, was a legit 1st line LW. He's gone and so is the other off-season acquisition so it's very much like last years team except a smidge better. They are not an elite team as the drop in play after losing Smyth is something an elite team would be able to overcome. They are pretty good when healthy though so let's hope they can stay in the Top 8 until healthy again.

Kopitar is a worry though. Kid hasn't drove the net since Smyth went out and he looks average when he does get the puck.

BigKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2009, 10:54 AM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Kings fans are fundamentally insane. Go on a long enough losing streak and we pick sides and start making up reasons why players we all love really suck. Have at it boys, I'm over it.

Reaper45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2009, 11:29 AM
Johnny Utah

Whoever said we need a guy like Tanner Glass...that was dead on.

Johnny Utah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2009, 11:31 AM
The Judge

Observation & Opinions:

Simmonds - great game. Will be a solid player for years to come in LA.
Quick - played one of his best game.We need more of these types of games from him.

Williams - ok game.
Brown - ok to good game
Doughty - ggod game except for the Burrows goal
JJ - ok game
Frolov - just seems like he is playing to be traded. He has been playing that way almost all year. Russian poutting?
Purcell - I really believe he does not have a future on this club. My patience has run out with him. I don't know about you guys.

Kopitar - ok overall game. This year shows that he is an All Star player but not a Superstar YET like a Malkin, Ovechin... where they can carry a line by themselves. Kopitar needs a another good player like a Ryan Smyth or another All star player to dominate games and make a Big difference when needed.

So far this year here's what we need going on forward:

- A true 2nd line center
- Another solid defenseman a top 4 preferably
- Improve on faceoffs
- Their spacing especially on breakouts
- This is the time leaders or captains lead.

The Judge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2009, 11:59 AM
not tellin*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zad View Post
Tony, I'm starting to think your avatar may be partly responsible for Brown's woes. Go back to Stewie or something else for a couple of weeks and let's see what happens.
this.

not tellin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2009, 12:09 PM
JBernierFan
Drink up!

This is what I posted on Hammond's blog, but I'll also add to it:

Brown was the Kings best player last night and I haven’t been able to say that too often this year. I think it was Brown’s best game of the year and if any goalie was in net besides Luongo he would have had at least 1 goal. Most of his chances it seemed were despite his linemates, not because of them.

The Parse-Richardson-Simmonds line was the hardest working line. They’ve played two great games in a row and I think until our injured players come back, they need to stick together. All players work hard and that creates chances.

Frolov…I don’t know what to say. He and Purcell have done nothing for this team recently. Everyone says Frolov needs to be with “scorers”, but shouldn’t a good player make those around him better? When you put him on scoring lines, he drags them down. As each game passes, I lose a little more respect for Fro. When Fro was on a line with Simmonds, people said Simmonds was dragging him down, but it looks like just the opposite. Simmonds has been scoring in every situation he has been put in without Frolov. Coincidence?

Quick was good tonight. This has been one of the first games in a few that I've seen Quick stand on his head to keep the Kings in it. At the end, for him, it came down to being let down by teammates (wow, our centers sucked last night at taking faceoffs) and fatigue. Speaking of Quick, did he get his mask repainted? It used to have a black background behind the crown and now it's purple. Also, the Kings 3rd jersey logo is on his backplate where I thought it used to be the crown logo. And, why has he been wearing his 3rd jersey pads this roadtrip? Weird.

Schenn. The kid made some mistakes. I believe he was out there for 2 of the 3 goals by the Canucks and though he wasn't directly involved...he looked lost. He wasn't taking a man but was floating in between the circles. It looked like he didn't know what to do. He was chasing the puck instead of staying with his guy. I saw a few good moves toward the end of the game in the dying minutes that looked pretty creative. He'll be good in a year or two, but is not ready for the big show just yet. Nice to see him up for a cup of coffee though. He tried hard.

Speaking of trying hard, only a handful did tonight. Sad.

JBernierFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2009, 12:36 PM
TonySCV
One More Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zad View Post
If that's what it takes... so be it.

Last edited by TonySCV: 11-27-2009 at 12:43 PM.
TonySCV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2009, 12:59 PM
The Jumping Shrimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Judge View Post
Observation & Opinions:

Simmonds - great game. Will be a solid player for years to come in LA.
Quick - played one of his best game.We need more of these types of games from him.

Williams - ok game.
Brown - ok to good game
Doughty - ggod game except for the Burrows goal
JJ - ok game
Frolov - just seems like he is playing to be traded. He has been playing that way almost all year. Russian poutting?
Purcell - I really believe he does not have a future on this club. My patience has run out with him. I don't know about you guys.

Kopitar - ok overall game. This year shows that he is an All Star player but not a Superstar YET like a Malkin, Ovechin... where they can carry a line by themselves. Kopitar needs a another good player like a Ryan Smyth or another All star player to dominate games and make a Big difference when needed.

So far this year here's what we need going on forward:

- A true 2nd line center
- Another solid defenseman a top 4 preferably
- Improve on faceoffs
- Their spacing especially on breakouts
- This is the time leaders or captains lead.
Are you serious? So, are you trying to tell me that you actually watched the game and had a problem with Purcell's play but said Kopitar had an OK game.

Purcell was the best player on that line while Kopitar was the weakest.

I'm with Reaper. Have at it.

The Jumping Shrimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2009, 01:10 PM
Ollie Weeks

I generally leave my Kings jersey hanging on my wall in my room. The day after the win against the Penguins, I wore it. Is this all my fault? Will I fix this by wearing it again?

Ollie Weeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2009, 01:26 PM
imissgretzky

Haven't seen anyone bring up the three offensive zone penalties we took in this game. Frolov's at the end of the 2nd period being the worst.

imissgretzky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2009, 03:00 PM
Cutty Sarkn3ss*
I bet u trade me

Send a message via AIM to Cutty Sarkn3ss*
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jumping Shrimp View Post
Purcell was the best player on that line.

Cutty Sarkn3ss* is offline   Reply With Quote