HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Will Tambellini blow the ship this season?

Old
11-27-2009, 03:08 AM
jumptheshark
Give the dog a bone

vCash: 500
The problem with moving some of the 4mill+ contracts is the fact that the teams that would want them would need to send big money contracts back and that does the oilers no good as well.

jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2009, 03:53 AM
Soundwave

What would we do with cap room even if we had it?

Sign Kovalchuk?

He's not signing here.

Fill out the roster with checking line centers and adding a physical d-man ... ok ... but that still doesn't get to the root of the problem -- no top line game breaking forward.

We need that through the draft. Once that is acquired the other pieces will fall into place.

Soundwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2009, 04:04 AM
hfboardsuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
What would we do with cap room even if we had it?

Sign Kovalchuk?

He's not signing here.

Fill out the roster with checking line centers and adding a physical d-man ... ok ... but that still doesn't get to the root of the problem -- no top line game breaking forward.

We need that through the draft. Once that is acquired the other pieces will fall into place.
Bingo. Did anyone want to play in Atlanta? No, but they do now- especially young Russians, a hard demographic to cater to.

The same goes for Columbus. Rick Nash's star power is a huge draw for not only fans, but free agents.

Players love this city once they get here. We just one to kick-start the process, and that starts when you get them young.

hfboardsuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2009, 04:28 AM
hemsky88

I doubt he will, we have a lot of good prospect on their way. I am excited we will have a very good lineup in the next few years along with maybe a new arena around the same time. Thats what im looking forward to.

hemsky88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2009, 04:36 AM
JohnAlexander

Quote:
Originally Posted by jt780 View Post
I've grown really tired of this argument. You (and others) say you want to obtain a franchise player through the draft, but yet fail to see that teams with franchise players other than the Detroit Red Wings (ie. Pittsburgh, Washington, Chicago and LA are good examples) hardly tanked seasons out of strategy. These franchises were literally run to the ground through bad management, pathetic fan support and general on-ice incompetence, and "lucked" into a series of top picks as a result of complete and utter failure.

Another example against this theory would be Atlanta, who as an expansion team had no worse than a #2 overall pick for their first four years as a franchise. Their picks were Patrik Stefan, Dany Heatley, Alexei Kovalchuk and Kari Lehtonen. Solid picks, but have they taken off, despite having four years in a row with no worse than a #2 overall pick? The next year, they took Braydon Coburn with the 8th overall pick.

This isn't so simple, people! It's not so easy as tanking a year. It's tanking multiple years, running the franchise into the ground and hoping for some luck that obviously some teams like Atlanta haven't had. Or, do what other contending teams have done: build a solid core and complement with free agents as they come up.
And yet the counter can't help but jump out and beat you over the head. If all those teams have done so well "lucking" into years of suckage, just how much better might a team be able to do with a rebuild template that it implemented consciously?

You're also right that Atlanta is a great example, although I see it quite a bit different than you. You already provided part of their first round draft picture but here's the full deal:

1999 - 1. Stefan
2000 - 2. Heatley
2001 - 1. Kovalchuk
2002 - 2. Lehtonen
2002 - 30. Slater
2003 - 8. Coburn
2004 - 10. Valabik
2005 - 16. Bourret
2006 - 12. Little
2008 - 3. Bogosian
2008 - 29. Leveille
2009 - 4. Kane

Now looking at that picture...where exactly do things go wrong?

To set the stage for Atlanta it's folly to not acknowledge that as an expansion franchise in 1999 they had no one. I mean not a single decent prospect in the entire organization.

And who do you happen to run into your first time out of the gate? The man that nhl.com lists as "the worst first overall pick of all-time". That's not bad luck. It's apocalyptically ****** luck. Now would logic state that this is the exception or the rule?

So you're brand new to the league and you've already sustained a kick to the nuts that no other franchise has had to endure. But hey, no biggie, you knock it out of the park your next two times up to the plate. Except wait, just as your new superstar duo is hitting their stride one half of said duo makes a critical error and kills his best friend in a car wreck. Is there something hanging over this franchise or what? The fallout from this is a forced trade netting Marian Hossa, seemingly a decent enough return, but perhaps not so fortuitous on second glance.

I'm going to divert for a moment here just to add that it's my opinion if the Thrashers had only had to sustain either one of these monumental debacles i.e., Heatley or Stefan, they would still be a competitive team today. And as I continue it should become apparent that that's saying something.

What's also happened at essentially this time is the team has taken on the dominant view point of what seems to be most fans, "hey enough with this sucking business, let's make some smart moves and win", and so the team has traded for Slava Kozlov and Marc Savard. Not exactly earth shattering moves at the time, but certainly moves borne out the win-now mindset.

And the result? Instead of continuing to pick in the 1-2 range for a couple more years, the team is "good enough" to pick in the 8-10 range. And while players like Ovehkin, Malkin, Staal, Horton, Bouwmeester and Fleury pass them by, they pick up Coburn and Valabik.

At this point it should be clear what I'm getting at...for a franchise that wanted (perhaps needed) to win as soon as possible, they flubbed the crap out of their "build" and have found themselves back at square one (albeit with some assets actually in the cupboard this time).

And just to complete the picture of how that happened, as fallout from the Heatley deal they received a player who was a couple key years older, prime years that saw him want to be in win-now mode. So instead of having two home grown talents for the long term they had one marquee player who became a merc at the earliest opportunity. And a large contributing factor in that decision? The Thrashers aren't a cap team. They operate with serious restrictions. They couldn't re-sign Savard. They traded away a bunch of futures (most notably a first that became Mikael Backlund) for Tkachuk only to see him walk in the offseason. They didn't have the means to sustain their success. Imagine that team over the last few years and now if only they'd been able to retain Hossa, Savard and Tkachuk.

But instead they're drafting in the premium picks again. And premium they are. Imagine if Kane and Bogosian had been picked up instead of Coburn and Valabik. Or better yet Bouwmeester and Malkin. The only thing wrong with the Thrashers build was that they completely botched it. They tried to launch pre-maturely at a time when they were still in league swaddling clothes. As soon as they started picking outside of the top 5 the talent level coming in decreased. Dramatically.

Now you might argue that it's a moot point seeing now as they wouldn't be able to retain any of these potential players, but ultimately the whole point of this is to see how the case study of the Thrashers relates to the Oilers. If the Oilers were to theoretically pick up a few superstars over the next few years, they could afford to keep them.

The Thrashers had to endure the worst pick in draft history at the worst possible time in franchise history, their inception, and despite that would have only needed another 5 years starting with Heatley to have a team that could have competed for the cup in perpetuity.

Well the Oilers aren't at their inception point. And they've got some damn good talent in the pipes already. And they've got the resources to support that perpetual contender. What they need for all of this to come to fruition is their Kane and their Toews. Their Heatley and their Kovalchuk. Their Hall and their Larsson (2011)? The glue that brings the whole show together. And that doesn't take 5 years to come up with. Especially not in this day and age.

Perhaps the very best lesson the Thrashers have to share is that if you're going to rebuild, do it with both eyes wide open. The Oilers do that and make no mistake, this team is a cup contender. In perpetuity.

JohnAlexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2009, 08:48 AM
hemskysuncle

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAlexander View Post
And yet the counter can't help but jump out and beat you over the head. If all those teams have done so well "lucking" into years of suckage, just how much better might a team be able to do with a rebuild template that it implemented consciously?

You're also right that Atlanta is a great example, although I see it quite a bit different than you. You already provided part of their first round draft picture but here's the full deal:

1999 - 1. Stefan
2000 - 2. Heatley
2001 - 1. Kovalchuk
2002 - 2. Lehtonen
2002 - 30. Slater
2003 - 8. Coburn
2004 - 10. Valabik
2005 - 16. Bourret
2006 - 12. Little
2008 - 3. Bogosian
2008 - 29. Leveille
2009 - 4. Kane

Now looking at that picture...where exactly do things go wrong?

To set the stage for Atlanta it's folly to not acknowledge that as an expansion franchise in 1999 they had no one. I mean not a single decent prospect in the entire organization.

And who do you happen to run into your first time out of the gate? The man that nhl.com lists as "the worst first overall pick of all-time". That's not bad luck. It's apocalyptically ****** luck. Now would logic state that this is the exception or the rule?

So you're brand new to the league and you've already sustained a kick to the nuts that no other franchise has had to endure. But hey, no biggie, you knock it out of the park your next two times up to the plate. Except wait, just as your new superstar duo is hitting their stride one half of said duo makes a critical error and kills his best friend in a car wreck. Is there something hanging over this franchise or what? The fallout from this is a forced trade netting Marian Hossa, seemingly a decent enough return, but perhaps not so fortuitous on second glance.

I'm going to divert for a moment here just to add that it's my opinion if the Thrashers had only had to sustain either one of these monumental debacles i.e., Heatley or Stefan, they would still be a competitive team today. And as I continue it should become apparent that that's saying something.

What's also happened at essentially this time is the team has taken on the dominant view point of what seems to be most fans, "hey enough with this sucking business, let's make some smart moves and win", and so the team has traded for Slava Kozlov and Marc Savard. Not exactly earth shattering moves at the time, but certainly moves borne out the win-now mindset.

And the result? Instead of continuing to pick in the 1-2 range for a couple more years, the team is "good enough" to pick in the 8-10 range. And while players like Ovehkin, Malkin, Staal, Horton, Bouwmeester and Fleury pass them by, they pick up Coburn and Valabik.

At this point it should be clear what I'm getting at...for a franchise that wanted (perhaps needed) to win as soon as possible, they flubbed the crap out of their "build" and have found themselves back at square one (albeit with some assets actually in the cupboard this time).

And just to complete the picture of how that happened, as fallout from the Heatley deal they received a player who was a couple key years older, prime years that saw him want to be in win-now mode. So instead of having two home grown talents for the long term they had one marquee player who became a merc at the earliest opportunity. And a large contributing factor in that decision? The Thrashers aren't a cap team. They operate with serious restrictions. They couldn't re-sign Savard. They traded away a bunch of futures (most notably a first that became Mikael Backlund) for Tkachuk only to see him walk in the offseason. They didn't have the means to sustain their success. Imagine that team over the last few years and now if only they'd been able to retain Hossa, Savard and Tkachuk.

But instead they're drafting in the premium picks again. And premium they are. Imagine if Kane and Bogosian had been picked up instead of Coburn and Valabik. Or better yet Bouwmeester and Malkin. The only thing wrong with the Thrashers build was that they completely botched it. They tried to launch pre-maturely at a time when they were still in league swaddling clothes. As soon as they started picking outside of the top 5 the talent level coming in decreased. Dramatically.

Now you might argue that it's a moot point seeing now as they wouldn't be able to retain any of these potential players, but ultimately the whole point of this is to see how the case study of the Thrashers relates to the Oilers. If the Oilers were to theoretically pick up a few superstars over the next few years, they could afford to keep them.

The Thrashers had to endure the worst pick in draft history at the worst possible time in franchise history, their inception, and despite that would have only needed another 5 years starting with Heatley to have a team that could have competed for the cup in perpetuity.

Well the Oilers aren't at their inception point. And they've got some damn good talent in the pipes already. And they've got the resources to support that perpetual contender. What they need for all of this to come to fruition is their Kane and their Toews. Their Heatley and their Kovalchuk. Their Hall and their Larsson (2011)? The glue that brings the whole show together. And that doesn't take 5 years to come up with. Especially not in this day and age.

Perhaps the very best lesson the Thrashers have to share is that if you're going to rebuild, do it with both eyes wide open. The Oilers do that and make no mistake, this team is a cup contender. In perpetuity.
That sort of caught my eye. "the only thing wrong with their build is that they..." did it all wrong...

People use examples of Pitt, Atl, or whichever team...but what about teams like Boston? They took a dive, but not a huge one (their highest draft pick in the last 10 years was Kessel at number 5), but have several high performers from their drafting, including Lucic (#50), Sobotka (#106), Krejci (#63), Alberts (#179) and Bergeron (#45), as well as Marchand in his rookie year doing respectably at draft position 71.

You know the key to their successful turnaround from their dismal situation of perpetual failure? A combination of greaet signings, and great development.

Oilers are in the same position to pull this off in the next 2 to 3 years IF they don't blow things up. There are problems that need to be dealt with (all of which concern bad contracts), but as the Oilers slowly shed them like last year's skin, they could create something very dynamic and competitive.

There are two ways to build...at this point, I like Boston's way better than Pittsburgh's.

sidenote to this is IMO, it would require the signing, or acquisition of ONE more impact player, by which I mean a player that can change the game themselves, and a player that influences all those around him to play better. The Bruins have one on othe back end in Chara, and one on the front end in Savard. The Oilers have this locked on the back end in Souray...the question is who will be the front end member. Do we have it in Penner? Or are we still in search mode?

hemskysuncle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2009, 09:12 AM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 4000
Great post J.A.! One just has to look at the Thrasher list of picks to see the drop-off after third. Unfortunately for us, ownership and management have done everything they can to win now and seem opposed to a rebuild.

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2009, 09:16 AM
dashingsilverfox*

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemskysuncle View Post
That sort of caught my eye. "the only thing wrong with their build is that they..." did it all wrong...

People use examples of Pitt, Atl, or whichever team...but what about teams like Boston? They took a dive, but not a huge one (their highest draft pick in the last 10 years was Kessel at number 5), but have several high performers from their drafting, including Lucic (#50), Sobotka (#106), Krejci (#63), Alberts (#179) and Bergeron (#45), as well as Marchand in his rookie year doing respectably at draft position 71.

You know the key to their successful turnaround from their dismal situation of perpetual failure? A combination of greaet signings, and great development.

Oilers are in the same position to pull this off in the next 2 to 3 years IF they don't blow things up. There are problems that need to be dealt with (all of which concern bad contracts), but as the Oilers slowly shed them like last year's skin, they could create something very dynamic and competitive.

There are two ways to build...at this point, I like Boston's way better than Pittsburgh's.

sidenote to this is IMO, it would require the signing, or acquisition of ONE more impact player, by which I mean a player that can change the game themselves, and a player that influences all those around him to play better. The Bruins have one on othe back end in Chara, and one on the front end in Savard. The Oilers have this locked on the back end in Souray...the question is who will be the front end member. Do we have it in Penner? Or are we still in search mode?
The only problem with your approach is that it would have to bear fruit rather quickly as the Oilers "impact" players are much older and the supporting cast is weaker.

Unless you're planning on making noise in the next 2-3 years, Souray, Vinsovsky, Khabibulin et al will be at the age where you can expect a decline in performance.

And banking on Penner to become Savard, while not impossible, is still up in the air.

dashingsilverfox* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2009, 10:46 AM
Homesick
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Re: Will Tambellini blow the ship this season?

Who's "the ship"?

Homesick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2009, 11:18 AM
bone

vCash: 705
If only Edmonton loses that game to Calgary in 2007 which would have ended picking #5 instead of #6 (Chicago's spot which ultimately won the lottery) you would have Patrick Kane instead of Gagner. That may have been kick start to a proper rebuild. Hopefully, Gagner can become a franchise player, but Kane is already one.

bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2009, 11:22 AM
I am the Liquor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homesick View Post
Who's "the ship"?
I think it's yiddish for Daryl.

Old
11-27-2009, 11:25 AM
hfboardsuser

Quote:
Who's "the ship"?
Don't worry. I'm pretty sure Tambo would rather put roses on your piano than tulips on your organ.

hfboardsuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2009, 11:28 AM
Beerfish

At the very least management has to get our cap under control. Even if they don't 'blow it up' so to speak they just have to get rid of some underachieving contracts. Whether it is via buyouts, long term injury, trades, send to minors whatever the means Tambellini has to at a minimum give us some cap room so we can actually make a deal in which we don't have to give up equal cap dollars the other way.

Beerfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2009, 11:42 AM
OilerzFRLife

i think the oilers indecisiveness is worse than deciding to rebuild and losing for the next 5 years. it just eats away at a fan when a team supplies mediocre at best talent to just fill a roster spot to get by. in big hockey markets there is even more pressure to have a good team now which is why montreal has attempted to 'rebuild' in one summer. this team will not be a contender until hte politics have been removed from upper management and we have finished at the bottom for a few years oh... and also that our deadweight is removed.

tambo IMO needs to make a decision by the end of this season about what path he wants to go. the only way this team can have success is by drafting great players because we cant sign them or trade for them (see heatley). our defensive core is great but we need to move 1 or 2 of them simply because theres so much of 1 player.

souray visnovsky could each be probably traded for a 1st rounder (15-30) range.

another note is what do we have to lose by playing guys from the farm over crappy vets like moreau? on the one hand those ahl'ers could develop into solid checkers who could be bottom 6 type and if they dont pan out??? we get a trip for 2 to hall or seguin.

what is stopping tambo from being decisive??? i dont know but i dont think you can point the finger at lowe. we dont really know his role in the decision making via trades signigns etc. so im going to cut him some slack.

OilerzFRLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2009, 11:42 AM
Mentallydull

Quote:
Originally Posted by dashingsilverfox View Post
Horcoff
Pisani
Moreau
Souray
Visnovsky
Staios
Strudwick
Khabibulin

All over 30

Hemsky
Penner
Gilbert
Grebs
Comrie

All over 25

The team does not lack veterans. What it lacks is impact players.
Exactly.

Mentallydull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2009, 11:55 AM
deanmoriarty

Unfortunately I think it's going to take a Pat Quinn heart attack/ulcer for Tambellini to realize he needs to make some big changes.

deanmoriarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2009, 11:56 AM
Oiler Crude
3rd rate fan

vCash: 50
I have just read Robert Tichkowski's piece today in the Edm Sun. It was about Heatley but it also points to the Oilers as being the reason No stars will play here. They are a bad team period. Who would you rather play for, the NY Yankeys or the KC Royals? Untill we do a proper rebuild we stand about as much of a chance of winning the World Series as we do the Stanely cup.

Oiler Crude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2009, 12:40 PM
Little Fury

I'm starting to come around to the blow it up mentality and the next two-three years will present a golden opportunity. Guys like Moreau, Staios and Pisani (if healthy) are on expiring contracts in that timeframe and will have some value to playoff teams at the deadline. Souray's NTC expires, which means he's a commodity as well (though I'm not sure who'd take his contract in the face of a declining cap). Younger players like Gilbert/Grebs and Cogliano would be easy enough to deal if need be. Hell, just having to play JDD or DD for 25 games should guarantee at least a top 10 pick for the next four years. Yadda yadda yadda.

Trouble is, there's no way in hell management would do it. As long there's enough "casual" hockey fans in this market to fill the rink, what's the motivation to take the painful but necessary steps improve the product? As long the building's full, Katz will be content to count his money and listen Lowe's stories from the glory days. In other words: we're hooped.

Little Fury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2009, 01:23 PM
Roof Daddy

Quote:
Who's "the ship"?
It was Brendan Burke's hockey nickname.

Roof Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2009, 01:30 PM
I am the Liquor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oiler Crude View Post
I have just read Robert Tichkowski's piece today in the Edm Sun. It was about Heatley but it also points to the Oilers as being the reason No stars will play here. They are a bad team period. Who would you rather play for, the NY Yankeys or the KC Royals? Untill we do a proper rebuild we stand about as much of a chance of winning the World Series as we do the Stanely cup.
Pretty good BBQ joints in KC. That's a tough one.

Old
11-27-2009, 01:32 PM
I am the Liquor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Fury View Post
I'm starting to come around to the blow it up mentality and the next two-three years will present a golden opportunity. Guys like Moreau, Staios and Pisani (if healthy) are on expiring contracts in that timeframe and will have some value to playoff teams at the deadline. Souray's NTC expires, which means he's a commodity as well (though I'm not sure who'd take his contract in the face of a declining cap). Younger players like Gilbert/Grebs and Cogliano would be easy enough to deal if need be. Hell, just having to play JDD or DD for 25 games should guarantee at least a top 10 pick for the next four years. Yadda yadda yadda.

Trouble is, there's no way in hell management would do it. As long there's enough "casual" hockey fans in this market to fill the rink, what's the motivation to take the painful but necessary steps improve the product? As long the building's full, Katz will be content to count his money and listen Lowe's stories from the glory days. In other words: we're hooped.
I dont disagree. But I think Katz wants to win. We will see if he is able to figure it out.

Old
11-27-2009, 01:33 PM
I am the Liquor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof Daddy View Post
It was Brendan Burke's hockey nickname.
That could be suspension worthy.

Old
11-27-2009, 01:35 PM
Soundwave

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
I dont disagree. But I think Katz wants to win. We will see if he is able to figure it out.
Playoffs make a lot of money too, remember that. There's a strong incentive to have a winning franchise outside of the fact that I think Katz wants that regardless.

Soundwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2009, 01:37 PM
Petro Points

vCash: 885
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger_80 View Post
So with hopes of making the play-offs rapidly dwindling, the question is will the management blow this team and start a re-build this season?

Souray, Visnovsky, Staios, Moreau, Pisani are some of the players that could be interesting to potential cup contenders.

Thoughts?
The real question is : Will Tambellini do anything this season?

How can he justify making the money he is getting? He has basically been sitting on his ass ever since he got here.. He was rumored to be against the only move we made (signing Comrie)... I know behind the scenes he must be doing things but looking at results he can be replaced by a blind monkey and no one would notice the difference..

Petro Points is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2009, 01:38 PM
I am the Liquor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
Playoffs make a lot of money too, remember that. There's a strong incentive to have a winning franchise outside of the fact that I think Katz wants that regardless.
Yes, but maybe he believes or is being told the way to do that is sign a Hossa, or a Heatley, or heaven forbid a Jagr.