HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Cats Have Shot at Sweet Swedes

Closed Thread

Old
06-17-2011, 09:34 AM
Doyle

vCash: 500
Cats Have Shot at Sweet Swedes

Florida Panthers credentialed reporter Bill Whitehead continues to believe the Cats will take Gabriel Landeskog but with the revolving stock of the top picks he now believes they could even reach for Adam Larsson.

Here is a snippet of the article...

Gabriel Landeskog, LW, Kitchener Rangers (OHL)

While Ryan Nugent-Hopkins, the media favorite, has been the likely No. 1 pick of the Edmonton Oilers for some time now and Jonathan Huberdeau has been increasing his stock with a standout showing in the Memorial Cup, Landeskog has been going about his business as “The Character Guy” of the draft. The Swedish winger, along with fellow countryman and forward Mika Zibanejad, was profiled by NHL.com while traveling around the city during the combine. The overall impression? He is “The Character Guy.”

His impeccable English belies his European background, and he’s well-spoken and comfortable talking to NHL players like Daniel and Henrik Sedin — no doubt heroes of his — and Tyler Seguin, a Stanley Cup-winning rookie he would surely like to emulate. Landeskog put up stout numbers (36 goals, 30 assists in 53 games) for Kitchener, whether it was working in front of the goal or in the corners. Check out video of Landeskog here where Kitchener teammate Brandon Maxwell calls him “the perfect human being, I guess.” http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JtVG7KMhjxc

Probability of being drafted by Florida: Possibly

http://nhlhotstove.com/cats-have-shot-at-sweet-swedes/

Old
06-17-2011, 09:48 AM
RainingRats

Unless we trade Gudbranson I will be pretty upset if we don't take a forward.

Old
06-17-2011, 10:01 AM
pb1300
BLEED RED

Send a message via Yahoo to pb1300
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainingRats View Post
Unless we trade Gudbranson I will be pretty upset if we don't take a forward.
I wouldnt be upset if Tallon had another deal in place to add a top six forward to the group. Larsson is arguably the top player in this draft, and would certainly be the BPA available if he was there when the Panthers picked. Sure, we have Guds and Kuli already, but adding Larsson to the defensive core gives us amazing stability on the blueline. I still want a forward more than I would want Larsson, but its not the end of the world if Tallon did in fact choose him.

And for the sake of salaries, we wouldnt have to deal with that for a few seasons afterwards. On top of that, the way the cap seems to be, the Panthers will be in good position to get all three of them signed to long term deals, at rates that are beneficial to the team. We see it done with young players all over the league, with multiple ones on the same team, so why couldnt it happen here as well?

Old
06-17-2011, 10:14 AM
RainingRats

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb1300 View Post
I wouldnt be upset if Tallon had another deal in place to add a top six forward to the group. Larsson is arguably the top player in this draft, and would certainly be the BPA available if he was there when the Panthers picked. Sure, we have Guds and Kuli already, but adding Larsson to the defensive core gives us amazing stability on the blueline. I still want a forward more than I would want Larsson, but its not the end of the world if Tallon did in fact choose him.

And for the sake of salaries, we wouldnt have to deal with that for a few seasons afterwards. On top of that, the way the cap seems to be, the Panthers will be in good position to get all three of them signed to long term deals, at rates that are beneficial to the team. We see it done with young players all over the league, with multiple ones on the same team, so why couldnt it happen here as well?
Yeah, I don't disagree with Larsson being a stud. My philosophy is that you need high end forwards to be competitive and the best way to get them is through the draft. I'm really high on Gudbranson and Kulikov so I see it as a bit redundant to add another stud young d-man. I think Garrisson is overlooked by many of us as a part of our D-core who will be here for a long time.

Old
06-17-2011, 11:03 AM
Dread Clawz
Markstrom Rules

That guy doesn't really say he thinks we will take Landeskog though. Here is his main thoughts on who we will take...

Quote:
If he’s chosen, I would expect to see Landeskog on Florida’s roster next season and a team leader in a couple of years. Much talk of late, however, has been of Tallon perhaps taking a center instead, so Landeskog gets downgraded slightly from “Likely” chosen to “Possibly.”
Quote:
Of the sweet Swedes, Landeskog and his intangible-filled, all-around game — often compared to that of Flyers captain Mike Richards — fits the bill and would look perfect in a throwback red Panther sweater next year, but Tallon may have different plans and opt for more scoring from a high-profile center instead.
He seems to think we will be choosing Huberdeau or Couturier, although he wants to see Landeskog and thinks it's the best fit for us.

Old
06-17-2011, 11:19 AM
Coolburn

Send a message via AIM to Coolburn Send a message via MSN to Coolburn Send a message via Yahoo to Coolburn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markstrom Rules View Post
That guy doesn't really say he thinks we will take Landeskog though. Here is his main thoughts on who we will take...

He seems to think we will be choosing Huberdeau or Couturier, although he wants to see Landeskog and thinks it's the best fit for us.
Yup and I agree with him. I'll be pretty upset if we take Huberdeau TBH. I'd be fine with Couturier but prefer Landeskog. And as much as I'd prefer a forward, I'd be okay with Larsson as he's really the most likely best player in the draft, better than any of the forwards IMO.

Old
06-17-2011, 11:23 AM
Dread Clawz
Markstrom Rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolburn View Post
Yup and I agree with him. I'll be pretty upset if we take Huberdeau TBH. I'd be fine with Couturier but prefer Landeskog. And as much as I'd prefer a forward, I'd be okay with Larsson as he's really the most likely best player in the draft, better than any of the forwards IMO.
Pretty upset with Huberdeau? Seriously? I don't understand the people who say that. What is it about the kid that seems to disgust some people? It seems people either love him or hate him. It seems like I'm the only one who's in between.

Old
06-17-2011, 11:27 AM
Coolburn

Send a message via AIM to Coolburn Send a message via MSN to Coolburn Send a message via Yahoo to Coolburn
Quote:
Pretty upset with Huberdeau? Seriously? I don't understand the people who say that. What is it about the kid that seems to disgust some people? It seems people either love him or hate him. It seems like I'm the only one who's in between.
I dont love him or hate him either actually. Just dont prefer him over Landeskog or Couturier so yeah I would be upset if picked over those 2. I dont think Huberdeau plays center in the NHL so if we're gonna take a winger, I like Lando more. If we're going after a center, I feel that Couturier is a better option than Huberdeau as well. Heck I'd actually be more approving if we traded down a few spots and pick up some other assets while hopefully still taking Couturier or even Strome. I could see Strome & Huberdeau being equivalent in terms of scoring pts at the NHL level.

And if we took Larsson, I'd be more in favor of trading Kulikov for scoring help than trading Gudbranson. I like a top pairing of Larsson-Gudbranson waaay more than one like Kulikov-Gudbranson TBH. And I think we could get better value for Kulikov over Gudbranson.

Old
06-17-2011, 11:36 AM
Blad Meaning Gud
Yu - Behr - Doe

Quote:
Yep.. IMO he's most similar to RNH, who everybody is drooling over

Old
06-17-2011, 11:56 AM
Brian Fogarty
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Boil it down for a minute:

At 3rd overall, the Panthers will get one of either RNH, Larsson, Landeskog, Huberdeau or Couturier. All of those players would help the Panthers, and likely become the best player at their position (or close to it) on Florida's roster.

So, while there is merit to trying to find the best fit, best potential, highest value choice, in this year of many very good players but not any truly great talent at the top of the draft, the Panthers will do just fine at 3rd, regardless of who they take.

06-17-2011, 11:59 AM
Jaysfanatic*
BJ Elitist/Hipster

You BACK off, evening news team. If RNH/Huber go one-two. Do me a favor and take Larsson.

Old
06-17-2011, 12:18 PM
KittysGotClaws
We See Red

I'm definitely not a prospect expert, but I've been in the position of doing research on them for a couple of months now and I'm really starting to like the possibility of grabbing Landeskog. At first, I was a little concerned that his high end scoring ceiling was a risk we couldn't afford at this point. However, the guy is huge; so physically mature. I think he's the same height as RNH, but over 40 pounds heavier.

When looking at some tape of Huberdeau, a lot of what he did seemed to be aided by the fact that he had so much room in the minors. He won't have that room in the NHL (which isn't saying I don't think he'll be successful, he just doesn't seem as sure a thing at this level). Landeskog got a lot of his goals by going to the net, which is how they're scored here.

Plus, with a young core starting up of Gudbranson and Landeskog, think we'll ever be pushed around again? I like the idea of building a talented but tough as nails, high character team.

Old
06-17-2011, 01:33 PM
Beezer
I'm Da Better Goalie

I can see Tallon drafting Larsson at #3 if he is there but could probably trade with whoever gets Couturier and get another prospect+pick out of it. I can see the islanders as good trading partners and would love to get a guy like Okposso!

Old
06-17-2011, 02:09 PM
panthertod

I love these articles that say the Panthers are going to draft this guy, well... maybe they are... Possibly... well, no, they won't.... unless, well, they could... yup they will.

You can never be wrong when you end it with: Possibly.

Old
06-17-2011, 03:00 PM
ShootIt

We could possibly rival Nashville's corps if we draft Larsson.

Gudbranson
Larsson
Petrovic
Robak

And then Established players in
Kulikov
Ellerby
Weaver
Garrison

Who needs scoring forwards when you have a D-Corps like that?

Old
06-17-2011, 04:22 PM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devilsfanatic View Post
You BACK off, evening news team. If RNH/Huber go one-two. Do me a favor and take Larsson.
Evening news team??

Hoping we get Lando, love everything about this kid!

06-17-2011, 10:42 PM
Jaysfanatic*
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laus723 View Post
Evening news team??

Hoping we get Lando, love everything about this kid!
So do I, that's why I want him, so BACK OFF, evening news team!

Which would be

Old
06-18-2011, 09:02 AM
ShootIt

como estas *****es

Old
06-22-2011, 08:40 AM
Jaysfanatic*
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boooooth10 View Post
^^^ Let's dance, dickweed!
You wanna dance? I wanna polka! Gimme my Landeskog

Old
06-22-2011, 09:23 AM
BabyJagrov

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devilsfanatic View Post
So do I, that's why I want him, so BACK OFF, evening news team!

Which would be
It's Mike Santos on the left !

Old
06-22-2011, 09:56 AM
jessebelanger

this sucks man
I want larsson too but I also think we need a forward.

Closed Thread