HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Opinions as Oiler fans

View Poll Results: Your opinions, pick one in each category.
Mac T is a good coach, good thing we got him. 41 42.71%
MacT is not the best option available for the Oilers. 45 46.88%
Lowe is a brilliant GM, I believe he will bring us the cup. 72 75.00%
Lowe's an idiot, get him outta here. 3 3.13%
#1 need is keep Nedved 41 42.71%
#1 need is to deal for a top line center 26 27.08%
#1 need is to deal for a good starter 11 11.46%
#1 need is move up in draft to land a franchise player 17 17.71%
I think Hemsky will have 60 or more points next season 33 34.38%
I think Hemsky will have less than 60 points next season 52 54.17%
60 points for Hemsky? He'll be lucky if he hits 30! 4 4.17%
Oilers make the playoffs next season 54 56.25%
Oilers barely make playoffs next season 25 26.04%
Oilers get home ice for first round next season 13 13.54%
Oilers are in contention for a lottery pick next season 3 3.13%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 96. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
04-14-2004, 06:27 PM
Jamie

vCash: 500
Opinions as Oiler fans

Ok, there's been lots of discussion over the season about most of these issues, so I decided to start a poll for most of them where we can see exactly where people stand.

First issue I'll ask is MacT. Some here seem to love him, some seem to hate him. I'm somewhere in the middle personally, but with the options available, I'd rather have him than not at this point.

Secondly, Lowe. Same scenario as MacT. My stance is he's done an outstanding job bringing the organization together.

Thirdly, THE main issue for the Oilers this offseason is... Some say try and move up in draft to land a potential superstar, others say keep Nedved, others say deal for a top line center, and the only other big one I can think of is goalie, to live by what we got, or bring someone in.

And the final issue I'll poll up in this thread, just for fun, not that it's been talked about, but Hemsky, 60+ points or less than?

Edit: Added a part about how you feel Oilers will fare(is that the right 'fare'??) next season as well.

Last edited by Jamie: 04-14-2004 at 06:34 PM.
Old
04-14-2004, 06:29 PM
outKast*

MAC T - Great coach. Big supporter

Lowe - Slow to react. Wait till the Oilers hit rock bottom before he make a move. Tries to keep his cool but it gets very irritating.

Nedved - We can't pay for him at 5, and if he's a UFA there will be 10+ other teams jumping at him giving him contracts over 5 million tryingf to out bid us. Plus Veronika would never live here.

Hemsky is a 60+ point player if he learned to shoot if not..then he's a 50 point 2nd liner ala Dvorak.

Old
04-14-2004, 06:35 PM
Oilers Hockey

MacT - I don't know WHAT to think about this guy. Some nights his big blunders get me mad enough to call for his head, then the Oilers go on a big run and almost make the playoffs - and for 80% of the season the playoffs seemed like an impossibility, but took the Oilers that close. His biggest challenge is to keep the team inspired and playing like that consistently throughout the season. I cannot stress the word CONSISTENCY any more! LOL.

Lowe - His decisions are contreversial, like the Nedved, but always have a way of working, and most of his trades and aquisitions had some positive (like despite losing a workhorse in Niinimaa we got Torres who is a stud and hopefully Isbister finally 'evolves') - the ONLY Lowe mistake was Jiri Dopita imo.

Nedved - I want him to stay so badly if I had $5 mil I'd shell it out!

Old
04-14-2004, 06:38 PM
Jamie

Oops, typo, the second playoffs one is miss the playoffs... and I don't know how to alter the poll so that part might get messed up.

Old
04-14-2004, 06:41 PM
outKast*

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemskyfan
MacT - I don't know WHAT to think about this guy. Some nights his big blunders get me mad enough to call for his head, then the Oilers go on a big run and almost make the playoffs - and for 80% of the season the playoffs seemed like an impossibility, but took the Oilers that close. His biggest challenge is to keep the team inspired and playing like that consistently throughout the season. I cannot stress the word CONSISTENCY any more! LOL.

Lowe - His decisions are contreversial, like the Nedved, but always have a way of working, and most of his trades and aquisitions had some positive (like despite losing a workhorse in Niinimaa we got Torres who is a stud and hopefully Isbister finally 'evolves') - the ONLY Lowe mistake was Jiri Dopita imo.

Nedved - I want him to stay so badly if I had $5 mil I'd shell it out!
if you had 5 million you would use it to pay for one night with veronika.

Old
04-14-2004, 06:41 PM
MrMackey

MacT - Glad we've got him, he's a great coach... but not the best option for this past year's team. Maybe with everyone a year older and if they can keep Nedved he'll be perfect for the team. Who knows?

Lowe - definitely made some blunders, but overall great. There's only 2 or 3 GMs in the entire league that I'd rather have (Lamarello, Burke being the only 2 I can think of off the top of my head).

Gotta get a starter - but signing Nedved would be number 2 on the list.

Hemsky won't hit 60 next year, but could hit 90 the year after. I say year 4 is the breakout year for him.

We will be close to home ice if we get a legitimate starter and keep Nedved. We'll make the playoffs if we only keep Nedved & don't get the starter... we'll barely make it if we don't get Nedved or a starter.

Old
04-14-2004, 07:03 PM
Lowetide

MacT is a good coach for a more veteran team, and I suspect he'll end up with one in the not too distant future.

Lowe has improved, but imo this season is a crossroads. JDD, Mikhnov and others need to be signed, and he needs to address the center situation.

The Oilers under Lowe/MacT are a hard working bunch, but they don't have a game breaker. That's their achilles heel.

Old
04-14-2004, 07:16 PM
The Rage

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowetide
The Oilers under Lowe/MacT are a hard working bunch, but they don't have a game breaker. That's their achilles heel.
The good think about Lowe is, he seems to understand his failings and he's willing to learn. I think with that type of mind set, he's going to be one of the top GMs some day.

Old
04-14-2004, 08:02 PM
Loweball

Hemsky needs to gain 50...give or take a few. 60 points? You guys are on serious drugs.

Old
04-14-2004, 08:11 PM
The Rage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edmund Oiler
Hemsky needs to gain 50...give or take a few. 60 points? You guys are on serious drugs.
He probably would've had 40 if he didn't ride the press box at the end. He has the skills to make a big jump, that's for sure. At the end of last year, and the beginning of this year, he had a 20 to 30 game stretch where he was scoring a point per game. If he adds some weight and some consistency he could easily hit 60.

Old
04-14-2004, 08:53 PM
USC Trojans
I have a plan.

Jamie, is there an option that votes your avatar as the ugliest one in all of hfboards?
:lol

Who's that supposed to be anyways?

Old
04-14-2004, 09:01 PM
Seachd

I agree with Hemskyfan on MacTavish... I have no idea whether I like him or not. Maybe that's not actually a good thing. I certainly wouldn't complain if he was replaced some time down the road with a good decent young coach, but I'm not as quick to get rid of him as some are.

I'm still a massive Lowe fan. I don't know what else to say. I think he's done most things right. Hell, I didn't even really have a problem with the way he handled the Comrie situation. I probably would have done the same thing. I'm not going to say he's a brilliant GM and he'll lead this team to the Cup (so I didn't vote that way), but I'm sure glad we have him.

Old
04-14-2004, 09:03 PM
mrush

Oilers organization should emphasis to hemsky that he needs to gain weight and be 210 if he wants to be successful in this league. If the organization works closely with hemsky in the offseason and puts him to some great weight training and i can see him easily put up 50 if he has a bigger body.

Old
04-14-2004, 09:21 PM
Mizral

My votes:

MacT is not the best option.

I didn't vote on the Kevin Lowe thing, since I'm somewhere in between. He's okay. Average GM. Not bad though. Maybe he's getting better lately.

#1 importance is getting a good starting goaltender. If it doesn't happen, Oilers won't make the playoffs.

Hemsky will have less than 60 points. I'll say he has about 45 - 55, depending on if Nedved or a guy like him is kept around. With more forwards, Hemsky's icetime will only go down.

I still have Oilers not making the playoffs - but a lot could change between now and September. If Lowe does a move or two, I'd have 'em in. They are in the 6 - 12 kind of area. If they can keep Nedved, sign a goalie, and get another depth defenseman, I'd have them in 6 - 8. If they just keep Nedved, I'd put them around 8th or 9th. If they don't get a goalie, don't keep Nedved, and don't get another depth defenseman, I'd say they're more around the 10 - 12 spot.

Old
04-14-2004, 10:49 PM
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid

vCash: 160
Well here is how I see it....

MacT - The jury is still out. I would really like to see how he does as the team
matures. I would have picked the "give him one more year" option but seeing as that was not available I gave him the benefit of the doubt and picked the "he is a good coach option".

Klo - Well, he is not afraid to make a move! IMO he has made more good moves than bad, pretty good considering the budget he has to work with. My 2 main concerns is the obvious #1 center issue and goaltending. I still don't believe the Oil have a "game stealer" for a goalie, and the depth after JDD ( and he is not even signed yet ) is very questionable.

Old
04-15-2004, 12:12 AM
Jamie

Quote:
Originally Posted by USC Trojans
Jamie, is there an option that votes your avatar as the ugliest one in all of hfboards?
:lol

Who's that supposed to be anyways?
Hey man that's mean... that's me

j/k, don't know who it is, just saw it and started laughing so decided to use it as my avatar.

Old
04-15-2004, 12:46 AM
The Rage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizral
get another depth defenseman.
Why the heck do we need another depth defenseman? We finished the year with 8 decent or above defenseman, and we had 3 more decent defenseman on the farm (Woywitka, Lynch, and Allen). Why don't you just suggest adding left wing depth as well? Because we all know we need that too . Our defense lacks upper echelon talent, but we got depth in spades.

(Isn't great that Mizral allows us to bash him as much as we want? )

Old
04-15-2004, 08:48 AM
dawgbone

Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
I think Mac-T is a great coach. Once again, he took a team that had a huge turnover from the year before, had a bunch of injuries to key guys and pulled out another 90 point season (okay, 89, but you get the idea.

For the Lowe one, I am in the middle, but on the positive side. I think he has the right idea for the team (stay competetive and build for a new CBA). The one thing missing from the team is that top flight player, and it would be nice to see that kind of guy in Edmonton again. I really want to see him stick with the same group of guys for more than a season, because it's hard for the team to grow when you give up your top scorer from each of the last 4 seasons.

The Oilers really need to get a centre. Whether they keep Nedved, or go for someone of a similar ilk, either way we need that guy. Our goaltending is adequate enough, and if we can get a guy who actually can play on the power play (i.e. like Nedved did in his 16 games here), we should be okay.

I think our goaltending is fine. Our penalty killing ruined us in the first half of last year, and hopefully it's performance in the 2nd half carries itself over to next season. A PK that plays like it did in the 2nd half (actually, even last 2/3rds of the season), and a PP that can be 3 or 4% points better should get us into the playoffs.

If the Oilers can go with relatively little turnover in the top 3 lines, we will really find out what kind of coach Mac-T is. If the team has another very inconsistant year, maybe coaching is it. If the team comes out and plays to a level similar to the final 16 games, I would hope Mac-T would get a little more credit around here.

Old
04-15-2004, 08:51 AM
Obsessed

Mac-T for all intents and purposes has been a solid coach. However, I dont see him as the guy that motivates this team into the second or third round. He hasnt done it yet and I dont think he will. It may be time to look outside the organization for a coach. Its a scary concept I know but it could work. I like the idea of getting a Joel Quenville or Paul Maurice.

K-Lowe is a community minded GM. I think he is aware of what we want and is working his best to provide us with that. My only complaint is he tends to draw from the same well over and over. He loves his alumni and NYR's. Thats getting a bit old to me. Look outside the bubble every now and then. I like that he is taking care of his pals but... Could Adam Oates be interested in coming back to our team in a suit?

Hemmer needs to watch old highlights of Bret Hull, Steve Yzerman and Jari Kurri Clockwork Orange style until it is ingrained in the fabric of his brain to shoot the puck!! Only then will he get 60 points.

SIGN NEDVED!! His wrister is a weapon that few teams have. Its lethal. The first game Neddy played with us we went into OT... Against? anyways. He dropped down on the point to block a shot and then limped to the bench. From that point on I liked him. He payed the price for a team he just met. Unlike another NYR that was dealt at the same time..coughKovalevcoughchoke.

Old
04-15-2004, 11:22 AM
hmminvisiblecola1279
I just hope we can

i would like to see the oilers resign nedved, but alas the chances do seem remote. im hoping with dvorak here, he might actually sign for less but that also seems very remote.
im somewhere in the middle regarding mact and lowe.

Old
04-15-2004, 11:32 AM
Mizral

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rage
Why the heck do we need another depth defenseman? We finished the year with 8 decent or above defenseman, and we had 3 more decent defenseman on the farm (Woywitka, Lynch, and Allen). Why don't you just suggest adding left wing depth as well? Because we all know we need that too . Our defense lacks upper echelon talent, but we got depth in spades.

(Isn't great that Mizral allows us to bash him as much as we want? )
You do remember that Ulanov is becoming a UFA this offseason, right?

Brewer, Smith, Staios, Cross, Semenov, Bergeron is likely the top 6 right now. The way I see it, unless Lowe adds a top 3 guy, Cross or Semenov are probobly not good enough to eat up #4 defenseman minutes for next season. I'm not sold on Bergeron just yet either, though he had a nice stretch there.

Old
04-15-2004, 12:11 PM
Master Lok

LOL, good one Obsessed. How glad are we Oiler fans that Slats traded us Nedved instead of Kovalev for the remainder of the season?

Old
04-15-2004, 12:13 PM
windowlicker

Quote:

The Oilers have an option for Igor for next season, something in the 550,000-750,000$ range [dont recall the exact figure]

Old
04-15-2004, 12:15 PM
dawgbone

Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Quote:
I don't remember that Mizral...

I remember Lowe signing Ulanov to a 1 year deal (this past season) + a team option.

Old
04-15-2004, 12:20 PM
copperandblue

MacT - I think MacT has done a fine job with the team. There are some obvious critisisms that can be directed at him but for myself, when I look back at the season as a whole, I see a guy that guided his team to 7 games above .500 and he did it with a tonne of diversity in his line up. I look at his overall record and I think that considering this team has been going through a huge transformation period under Lowe's tenure, to see him coach a team that is consistantly made up of new faces to 38 games over .500 for his 4 year tenure should speak volumes for him.

For all the calls that were out there for new blood behind the bench, I wonder who would actually be better for this organization? Quenville is intriguing but he has also had a powerhouse to break in with, would it translate? Maurice coached in Carolina for 6 years and was only 4 games over .500 for his efforts. I used to think Hartley was one of the best but even he was 4 games under .500 this year and by all accounts Atlanta has a pretty damn good young hockey club.

Lowe - I like the job he has done and will judge him more critically after next season. I believe that from the day he took the job as GM, he had a clear vision of how this team would be made up. I think the frustration that is sometimes evident amongst us fans about how "patient" he may be a times can also be a testiment to how he won't compromise his overall plan.

I figure there are two ways to judge a GM. First is solely on what he has done, in which case you can argue that he missed some deals that could have benefited the team this year or last year. The Second is based on what he is doing. I think Lowe is building for a sustainable, competitive team and that team took some huge strides this year. Since I would rather see the team take some time and actually build something that I can be excited about for more than one season, I employ the second way to judge.

I think it would be extremely hollow to go through the same thing Carolina, Washington or Anaheim did. Get lucky on on run and simply fall back to earth the next year.

#1 center - I simply picked #1 center. I think Nedved is a good fit here, I don't think he would be a point per game player over the course of the year but he did demonstrate that the type of talent he brings can pay huge dividends for a team of this make up. It doesn't need to be Nedved but it better be a guy that has the same strengths in his game.

Goaltending I am comfortable with. I think the team simply needs consistent goaltending at this point in their development and these two guys can provide it. In two years, unless Conklin really emerges, they will need to address the position.

Hemsky less than 60 pts - I think he will ultimately become a plus 60 point guy but I think his learning curve is less than hoped. The same thing he was apparently critisized for in his draft year, seems to have popped up and that is he doesn't always give 100%. Once he takes a few messages to heart he will be something special.

Closed Thread