HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Opinions as Oiler fans

View Poll Results: Your opinions, pick one in each category.
Mac T is a good coach, good thing we got him. 41 42.71%
MacT is not the best option available for the Oilers. 45 46.88%
Lowe is a brilliant GM, I believe he will bring us the cup. 72 75.00%
Lowe's an idiot, get him outta here. 3 3.13%
#1 need is keep Nedved 41 42.71%
#1 need is to deal for a top line center 26 27.08%
#1 need is to deal for a good starter 11 11.46%
#1 need is move up in draft to land a franchise player 17 17.71%
I think Hemsky will have 60 or more points next season 33 34.38%
I think Hemsky will have less than 60 points next season 52 54.17%
60 points for Hemsky? He'll be lucky if he hits 30! 4 4.17%
Oilers make the playoffs next season 54 56.25%
Oilers barely make playoffs next season 25 26.04%
Oilers get home ice for first round next season 13 13.54%
Oilers are in contention for a lottery pick next season 3 3.13%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 96. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
04-15-2004, 01:27 PM
Obsessed

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizral
You do remember that Ulanov is becoming a UFA this offseason, right?

Brewer, Smith, Staios, Cross, Semenov, Bergeron is likely the top 6 right now. The way I see it, unless Lowe adds a top 3 guy, Cross or Semenov are probobly not good enough to eat up #4 defenseman minutes for next season. I'm not sold on Bergeron just yet either, though he had a nice stretch there.

I beleive Ully has an option year for 600G. Also, Ully loves it here. He made the mistake of leaving once. He wont make that mistake again.

Old
04-15-2004, 01:34 PM
HotToddy

MacT - fine coach, his record over the past 4 years is stellar. Considering he lost Comrie, Marchant and Reasoner (most of the year) and had sieve goaltending he put together a pretty decent season. I have to admit that the last two years the Oil have been the hardest working team I've seen.

K-Lowe - average GM which isn't good enough on a small market team.

Strengths
- Realizes drafting is the cornerstone and has put in a good scouting system (although only a monkey chucking darts could do worse than the Fraser era)

- Has gotten excellent value from FA signings. Yeah Oates was a bust but Bergeron, Staois, Ulanov and Conklin. That's outstanding for a penny-pinching organization like the Oil.
- Competitive, Accountable, Feerless, Available, first class person who give the organization alot of respectability

Weaknesses
- Is subpar at asset management. Has let players go for nothing. He was given a decent core of talent from the Sather era and for financial, personal or stragetic reasons he has traded that core away for lesser talent IMO. While we have a cheaper harder working team, we lack serious frontline talent.
- Trades Defensive players away for offensive depth, which is never a good strategy IMO
- takes to long to act at times, 01/02 season he waited to the deadline to pitch Poti and shakeup a flailing team. Waited to long this year to address our goaltending weakness and our center depth.
- To emotional, might just be personal but I don't like former players as GM's

Hemsky - Needs to bulks up which I can't see any reason why he won't. If he can't find away to get stronger and attack the net more though, he'll be a second coming of Nikolai Boreshevsky. Bright light that gets wore down by other teams and slinks back to Europe.

Old
04-16-2004, 02:38 AM
Jamie

So lets see here....
Mac T, in a tight vote, is the peoples choice as of now, but considering how close it is, if he starts nest season slowly, I could see that change quickly around here, and vice versa as well.

Only 2 people voted against Lowe, and one of them was Outkast So I guess people are happy with Lowe and not much disagreement there.

Nedved won as the Oilers top need. Now I don't agree with this one as I think people are judging him completely on how he played for just us last year. Nedved's always been streaky, and I do not feel he's worth the risk, but that's just me.

As for Hemsky, he actually got more 60+ season votes than I thought he would. I certainly think he has the talent, and even the consistancy for that matter to make 60. My problem is, he will hit the odd slump, it happens to the best, and when it happens, we'll get thrown onto the fourth line rather than be pushed to break the slump.

Old
04-16-2004, 02:56 AM
HOZ

MacTavish: He is an excellent coach. His record speaks for itself. This year the team suffered because the #1 goalie went south on him and his #1 centre decided that Edmonton wasn't for him. That is 2 huge parts of any team.

Kevin Lowe: I didn't like to options given. He is a good GM. He deals have been good and bad. More good than bad and that means he can do the job. Want a bad Gm? Check out Button's tenure in Cowville. He could have handled the Comrie situation better IMO but I don't feel he was the one to be blamed for it. He did his best fixing the #1 centre problem. Unfortunately this was a piece of work done on the run. Oates turned out to be no better than a 2-3rd lineguy and no one in the organisation stepped up or could step up. Nedved was pure luck. The NYR huge sale was a Godsend. Lowe took advantage of it and saved Edmonton's bacon...almost. Too bad that sale couldn't have happened 1 month earlier!!

1) He needs to get the Oilers a #1 centre. If not Nedved then who?
2) He needs to get Hemsky a dietition and a personal trainer. Those ten pounds Hemsky bragged about losing over the summer killed him by December. Lowe has to make sure Hemsky gets all 10 back and the 10 more he NEEDS. This has to be done without losing any foot speed.
3) He need to make sure the main core of his players play in Europe when there is a lockout. Keep those young legs moving and the Oilers will be off to a running start when play resumes

(BTW; When Winter, papa and Jones started with the woe-is-me stuff just before Comrie's return settled it for me who was the ass in that soap opera.)

Old
04-16-2004, 01:35 PM
Mizral

I didn't know about the team option, but that still means he is a UFA unless it's taken.

I do hope he is brought back though. I think that'd solidify the bottom 3 (#4/5/6) a bit more.

Old
04-16-2004, 02:31 PM
Slats432

Honestly, I think that the jury is out on both MacT and Klo.

I don't think that MacT is the best coach for a young team that needs it's young skilled players to be skilled players. I also think that he doesn't really understand line chemistry and the ability for players to know the guys they are playing with.

On the other hand, his hockey knowledge, energy, passion are things that you love to see. Craig MacTavish is a smart man. I think that if he would have vaulted to the Rangers, they would have made the playoffs.

I do believe that if there is no lockout and the team is struggling by Christmas, K-Lo might have to make a tough choice.

As far as our loved leader, I like him. I think he is intelligent, articulate, has a good understanding of running a franchise and decent evaluator of talent. On the downside that passion with the Comrie fiasco that hung around and hung around did cost the team no matter what anyone says. The situation should have been handled swiftly, and the same with Tommy Salo. He did hedge his bet with Salo and it cost him, when he should have just phoned Matts for his advice and traded him early. Obviously some of the deals that came at the deadline weren't there earlier, but we don't know what deals were there so we can't comment.

I think the deals will get better with time and K-Lo has been the GM for 4 years and it may take longer than that to be a great GM as opposed to a good young GM. I would like to see him become bolder. I would like to see that extra thrown in to get that really good player. I want to see players that make me want to jump off my chair. He has realized it and I hope he addresses it.

I rate MacT as a C+ for a coach and Kevin Lowe as a B- as a GM.

I didn't vote on the poll because it was too convoluted. This could have been a series of polls...lol

Closed Thread