HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Missing the Old Pronger

Old
11-27-2009, 01:46 PM
Mike Richards 18

vCash: 50
Missing the Old Pronger

i miss seeing Pronger rock someone or make a huge punishing hit. lately he supposively manages his energy for when it is best needed but its been a long while since a huge hit as been delievered. Richards the only guy who actually lands them. is he saving it for the post season or whats the deal? if we are the broad street bullies everyone says we are trying to be by bring Pronger in why isnt playing like it atleast some of the time?

he is a solid dman im not saying he isnt playing well or anything just my thoughts that id like to see some of the Pronger hits of old that flashed threw my mind when he first traded for him.

what are everyone elses thoughts??

Mike Richards 18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2009, 01:50 PM
IrishSniper87

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Richards 18 View Post
i miss seeing Pronger rock someone or make a huge punishing hit. lately he supposively manages his energy for when it is best needed but its been a long while since a huge hit as been delievered. Richards the only guy who actually lands them. is he saving it for the post season or whats the deal? if we are the broad street bullies everyone says we are trying to be by bring Pronger in why isnt playing like it atleast some of the time?

he is a solid dman im not saying he isnt playing well or anything just my thoughts that id like to see some of the Pronger hits of old that flashed threw my mind when he first traded for him.

what are everyone elses thoughts??
He isn't making huge hits all the time, but if you watch him carefully, he is downright nasty up close and on the boards. He is easily our best defenseman, but is playing smart and making sure not to get too many PIMS early.

I am more then happy with him, and truly believe he is one of the top d-men in the NHL right now.

IrishSniper87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2009, 01:55 PM
Opus

I'd like to see some more nastiness myself, but he's a very smart player who does conserve his energy. It's why he's capable of logging huge minutes and being relatively injury free his career.

As the season grows old, and the playoffs near...we'll see Pronger play with more of an edge.

As of right now, he's been a solid addition and I'm more than happy with his play thus far.

A+

Opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2009, 01:57 PM
supa scoop

I think some expect the wrong thing of Pronger. He's smart enough to know that he's gotta start conserving his energy more as the years go by. I'm glad he realizes this, I'd rather him rely on his smarts, size and reach in order to not get burnt out playing 25+ minutes a night. He has enough of an impact without even laying a single hit on anyone. It's like having an extra coach out there on the ice.

That being said, wait till the games start to increase in importance, the nasty, physically dominating Pronger will definitely show up.

supa scoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2009, 02:07 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Definitely can't complain about Pronger. His shot blocking alone makes him worth every penny.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2009, 02:08 PM
zbryne

Send a message via Skype™ to zbryne
solid D work is more valuable than a big hit

zbryne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2009, 02:14 PM
Ex Storm
Dig out your soul...

Pronger's never been known for consistently throwing big hits. He's mean with his elbows and stick in tight...that's where most of his rep comes from. People see him get suspended for throwing a hit in the playoffs and just assume he plays that way all the time.

Ex Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2009, 02:23 PM
Toonces
The beer kitty

It's the same Pronger, he always has picked his spots.

Wait until playoff time.

Toonces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2009, 02:32 PM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

vCash: 955
Pronger plays as advertised. 'Big hits' often take the hitter out of the play. There are few, if any, better positional players in the league than Chris Pronger.

Without him, the Flyers' defense is one of the worst cores in the conference instead of one of the best.

CanadianFlyer88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2009, 02:46 PM
ArmchairGM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianFlyer88 View Post

Without him, the Flyers' defense is one of the worst cores in the conference instead of one of the best.
I wouldn't go that far

ArmchairGM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2009, 02:46 PM
Valhoun*

Send a message via AIM to Valhoun*
Pronger: Leading candidate for the Norris.

HFboards' response: He's lost a step.

Valhoun* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2009, 02:48 PM
IrishSniper87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valhoun View Post
Pronger: Leading candidate for the Norris.

HFboards' response: He's lost a step.
Pretty much, haha.

IrishSniper87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2009, 02:55 PM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmchairGM View Post
I wouldn't go that far
Timonen-Coburn
Carle-Jones
Parent-OKT

That's not a poor defensive unit? That's what the Flyers would likely have on the ice, had they not acquired Pronger.

Carle has been afforded the freedom to join the rush with Pronger holding the fort; Carle would be much more reserved and not nearly as affective without Pronger.

Old
11-27-2009, 03:07 PM
claude boivin lives
flat out spectacular

If there's any 6 million dollar defenseman this team should be worried about, it's not Pronger.

While Timonen hasn't been bad, he just quite frankly hasn't been himself for virtually the entire season so far. There's been a lot of talk about how Coburn has struggled, and he has...but Kimmo has unquestionably contributed to their struggles as a pairing as well. The expectations for Timonen have come to be very high...he has shown that he can be very, very good on a consistent basis, and it's what you come to expect. But on the whole, he just hasn't quite been himself. Normally, there are a lot of plays that more average defenseman usually don't make, but Kimmo does. But so far this year, he has often looked like the more average guys who do or don't do certain things.

There has been talk about Kimmo dealing with back spasms, and I really hope that's the case, as I'd hope that what I've been seeing has to do with that and not with deterioration in his play as he gets older.

claude boivin lives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2009, 03:14 PM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

Quote:
Originally Posted by claude boivin lives View Post
If there's any 6 million dollar defenseman this team should be worried about, it's not Pronger.

While Timonen hasn't been bad, he just quite frankly hasn't been himself for virtually the entire season so far. There's been a lot of talk about how Coburn has struggled, and he has...but Kimmo has unquestionably contributed to their struggles as a pairing as well. The expectations for Timonen have come to be very high...he has shown that he can be very, very good on a consistent basis, and it's what you come to expect. But on the whole, he just hasn't quite been himself. Normally, there are a lot of plays that more average defenseman usually don't make, but Kimmo does. But so far this year, he has often looked like the more average guys who do or don't do certain things.

There has been talk about Kimmo dealing with back spasms, and I really hope that's the case, as I'd hope that what I've been seeing has to do with that and not with deterioration in his play as he gets older.
Agreed. Kimmo's start to the season has been below the level of what we have seen from him in the past. I actually would rather hear that he does have a small, nagging injury, instead of an alternative like he's become uninspired.

Old
11-27-2009, 03:18 PM
ArmchairGM

Quote:
Timonen-Coburn
Carle-Jones
Parent-OKT

That's not a poor defensive unit? That's what the Flyers would likely have on the ice, had they not acquired Pronger.

Carle has been afforded the freedom to join the rush with Pronger holding the fort; Carle would be much more reserved and not nearly as affective without Pronger.
Timonen-Parent
Coburn-Carle
Jones-OKT (6 points in 8 games)

While not ideal, it certainly isn't bad

Old
11-27-2009, 03:29 PM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

Quote:
Timonen-Parent
Coburn-Carle

That's not the defensive roster of a contender and it would likely be one of the weakest, if not the weakest, roster of the playoff teams in the conference.

There's a reason the Flyers acquired Pronger and paid a heafty fee to get him. The Flyers aren't competing for a Cup with the defense they had before Pronger.

Old
11-27-2009, 04:30 PM
Ex Storm
Dig out your soul...

Quote:
Timonen-Parent
Coburn-Carle

It's pretty bad when you consider that Carle is probably still pretty terrible if he's not paired with Pronger, Jones sucks, OKT is slightly better than Jones, and Parent is barely not a rookie anymore.

Is it the worst? No. But I'm so grateful for the upgrade to our defense, because last year's wasn't getting it done.

Old
11-27-2009, 04:36 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5792
He has to conserve his energy, he has to play 27 minutes a night. Part of it doesn't need to be because of fights and penalties.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2009, 04:36 PM
ArmchairGM

Quote:
That's not the defensive roster of a contender and it would likely be one of the weakest, if not the weakest, roster of the playoff teams in the conference.

There's a reason the Flyers acquired Pronger and paid a heafty fee to get him. The Flyers aren't competing for a Cup with the defense they had before Pronger.
Yes, but it wasn't like we needed to add such a big piece. While adding Pronger gives us one of the best defenses in the league, adding a smaller piece would have also significantly helped are team. All in all, I'm very happy to have Pronger, but I feel like he is more the piece to take us over the top, and not necessarily needed to have a good team.

Old
11-27-2009, 04:41 PM
Ex Storm
Dig out your soul...

Quote:
Yes, but it wasn't like we needed to add such a big piece. While adding Pronger gives us one of the best defenses in the league, adding a smaller piece would have also significantly helped are team. All in all, I'm very happy to have Pronger, but I feel like he is more the piece to take us over the top, and not necessarily needed to have a good team.
So...what you're saying is you don't think it's a good idea to have one of the best defenses in the league?

Old
11-27-2009, 05:10 PM
ArmchairGM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dig Out Your Soul View Post
So...what you're saying is you don't think it's a good idea to have one of the best defenses in the league?
I think it's great, but to say he single handedly made the Flyers good is a bit of an overstatement. He makes our defense great and our team that much better, but its not like he came to a bottom feeder.

Old
11-27-2009, 06:04 PM
Clown Baby

If Hatcher was a wrecking ball on ice, then Pronger's a surgical steel. Either one will hurt you beyond repair.
Quote:
I think it's great, but to say he single handedly made the Flyers good is a bit of an overstatement. He makes our defense great and our team that much better, but its not like he came to a bottom feeder.
I don't think you appreciate how much talent this team has lost over the past three seasons.

Clown Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2009, 06:05 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5792
If you look at how Timonen and Coburn started the season, and how playing with Pronger made Carle a capable NHL defenseman, whereas otherwise he'd be stuck with Jones, or playing with Parent as a 2nd pair (and with Parent being hurt a lot), without Pronger, there's a very good possibility makes us a playoff team and without him we may not be.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2009, 06:10 PM
Mike Richards 18

sounds like everyone agree with what i was thinking as him as a player. i just like the big game changing hits from time to time like Richards lands. im not saying i want Pronger to change anything i just want to see the Big Hits like Hatcher would seem to pick the perfect time for. not every shift or even every game. just one hit like that would make the opposing team look over their shoulder when they have the puck.

Mike Richards 18 is offline   Reply With Quote