HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Notices

The Journey To Taylor Hall & Tyler Seguin

Old
11-27-2009, 10:58 PM
Guerzy
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
The Journey To Taylor Hall & Tyler Seguin

" There is a reward for losing... Let the journey begin... "

#4 - Taylor Hall
Junior Team: The Windsor Spitfires
Date of birth: November 14, 1991
Place of birth: Kingston, Ontario
Position: LW
Shoots: Left
Height: 6'0
Weight: 185

#9 - Tyler Seguin
Junior Team: The Plymouth Whalers
Date of birth: January 31, 1992
Place of birth: Brampton, Ontario
Position: Center
Shoots: Right
Height: 6'1
Weight: 186

::::::::::::: Following The Teams In The Quest :::::::::::::

' The Bottom 5 '

Updated: December 9th, 2009

1. - 30GP: 7 Wins : 18 Losses : 5 OT - 19 PTS

2. - 30GP: 10 Wins : 13 Losses : 7 OT - 27 PTS

3. - 30GP : 11 Wins : 13 Losses : 6 OT - 28 PTS

4. - 30GP: 11 Wins : 13 Losses : 6 OT - 28 PTS

5. - 30GP: 11 Wins : 12 Losses : 7 OT - 29 PTS

2460 Regular Season Games Will Be In The Record Books... A Glorious 16 Playoff Wins Complete... Another Champion Crowned... Let The Lottery Begin... Have Faith That All Does Not Become Lost, We Will Have Made It This Far... One Fan Base, Together, United... If Successful... We Will Be Rewarded... For A Tough, Emotional, Unfortunate Season... The NHL Draft Will Be Upon Us... Ladies & Gentleman, Caniacs... Embrace The Suck, It Will Be Rough, It Won't Be Fun... But It Is Here... And So May Be A Franchise Player in Taylor Hall & Tyler Seguin...

Last edited by Guerzy: 12-10-2009 at 09:04 AM.
Guerzy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2009, 11:12 PM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Vagrant
Count me in the Taylor Hall camp for what its worth. I don't even consider the two to be as close as the statistics hash out. I just think that much like John Tavares last season, Taylor Hall has been dominant for so long that people have nit picked and scouted his game to death and it will ultimately mean nothing when it comes to when the competition starts to pick up.

I am untrusting of players that immediately leap to the forefront of their draft class in the final months of eligibility. Despite the connections to Plymouth, if Carolina is on the clock and Hall is available then they'd be stupid to not take him.

Give me the kid that scored 45 (!!!!) goals as as a 16 year old in the OHL.

Vagrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2009, 05:21 AM
imayagainknowanson
Jailbait

Another great post by Vagrant .

But if we don't take Hall or Seguin, i'm for Brandon Gormley or Mikael Granlund. Potential franchise D or another finland son.

imayagainknowanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2009, 12:46 PM
Joe McGrath

I guess I have to go with Hall because he's from Kingston. All the best players come from Kingston according to Don Cherry.

Joe McGrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2009, 11:41 PM
Gotta Catch Em Staal
All Aboard

We are 4 points clear and the Leafs have 2 games in hand. Wrap this thing up by Christmas???

11-29-2009, 12:26 AM
bishop12
Ovyously

Edmonton is now pushing hard....

bishop12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2009, 12:31 AM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

We have a 9 point "lead" on Edmonton with only 1 less game played. We're as close to losing last overall to Edmonton as the Capitals are to losing 1st in the East to the Islanders.

Old
11-29-2009, 12:43 AM
bishop12
Ovyously

Not sure if anyone heard, but tonight on CBC's hot stove they were talking about how the 'Canes are soon putting all the dead wood on waivers.

bishop12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2009, 12:45 AM
vwg*
Scoring Not Allowed

Hall is our precious; no one must come between us.

vwg* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2009, 12:53 AM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mind_the_gap View Post
Not sure if anyone heard, but tonight on CBC's hot stove they were talking about how the 'Canes are soon putting all the dead wood on waivers.
I really hope they mean that. I swear I do. However, I think their definition of dead weight and our definition probably differ.

Erik Cole, Chad Larose, Aaron Ward, Tom Kostopoulos, and Niclas Wallin are probably safe.

FML.

They probably mean Leighton or Yelle again.

Old
11-29-2009, 12:55 AM
vwg*
Scoring Not Allowed

Yeah I doubt it. They are going to waive all these bums and replace them with who? More bums from the AHL or rookies who aren't ready for the NHL?

vwg* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2009, 04:01 AM
JawandaPuck
Lost Art of Dynasty

trade Staal at the draft and get them both. any takers?

JawandaPuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2009, 10:42 AM
GIN ANTONIC

I'm torn. We lack an elite scorer other than Staal but with the almost certain departures of Whitney and Cullen we don't have much in the way of playmaking either. It's still too early to call for me, but here's a look at some possible line combos.

2010-2011
Hall/Seguin - Staal - Cole
Bowman - Boychuk - Ruutu
Samsonov - Sutter - Jokinen
Larose - Brind'amour - Kostopoulos

The Future
Hall/Seguin - Staal - FA
Bowman - Boychuk - Ruutu
Jokinen - Sutter - FA
Terry - Chaput - Dodge

Question. Where does Dalpe and Paradis fit into the grand scheme of this. Unless we convert one of our centers over to wing it doesn't seem that there's space for them. Dalpe projects to be a 3rd liner at worst. He would be wasted on the 4th line and he doesn't play that role anyway. And while Paradis is younger and a few years away we just won't have space for him down the middle. From what I've heard, I think he might be a prime candidate to convert to wing. But I dunno, I'm not as up to date with the junior stuff as a lot of you.

GIN ANTONIC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2009, 10:54 AM
WWAD

According to Sportsclubstats.com we now have an 82% chance of coming in dead last in the league. If we continue to play at our current winning percentage, our chance of coming in dead last goes to nearly 100%. That gives us at least a 50% shot at getting the no. 1 pick, and nearly 100% chance of getting one of the top two.

I'm in the Taylor Hall camp as well. He sounds about as close to a no-brainer pick as can be.

WWAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2009, 12:21 PM
imayagainknowanson
Jailbait

Not gonna happen Bowman to play on top 6. Jussi will be there before Drayson for sure. We will add some players via trade on deadline imo (i think JR will ask Hawks for Ladd ).

And what means "The Future"? If we want to be contender in next few season, JR will add some veterans in team.

The Future
Hall/Seguin - Staal - FA
Bowman - Boychuk - Ruutu
Jokinen - Sutter - FA
Terry - Chaput - Dodge

This not happen too. I bet my money seriously.

imayagainknowanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2009, 12:41 PM
Guerzy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mind_the_gap View Post
I didn't see last nights, but Pierre LeBrun (As credible of a source in this league as there is in my opinion) said a couple weeks ago that if this play were to keep up, we would be placing some of the guys on waivers to start the process.

I fully expect to ride this thing out until a later date in the season when we and other teams are in a better position to make moves. Unless of course 2 teams (one obviously being us) with needs/wants, etc.. come together and form some sort of trade. Until then, I expect to sit tight here. You'd think something would have to happen... something... only time will tell.

Forslund also said a few nights ago he believes if we go the route of 'win one, lose one' for the next week or two.. moves have to be made.

As unrealistic as moves seem at this point, it just seems that SOMETHING has to give, a shoe has to fall here...

Last edited by Guerzy: 11-29-2009 at 01:00 PM.
Old
11-29-2009, 01:00 PM
Anton Skinner
DAT PASS

but if something happens, that means we are trying to go back to winning......right? we dont want that, we want Hall!

Anton Skinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2009, 01:11 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
RIP Kev

vCash: 2498
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanSoldier15U View Post
but if something happens, that means we are trying to go back to winning......right? we dont want that, we want Hall!
Depends on what said something is. Waiving Aaron Ward and keeping Rodney on the roster full time doesn't indicate anything other then simply clearing salary.

Trading Cullen (as well as he has played at times) and Corvo for Barker and a pick indicates that the team is going young. Not necessarily a bad thing but it won't result in more wins. Only difference between what we have now and what we would have with guys like Bowman, Boychuk, Chaput, Dodge and Samson on the roster instead is that while they would still look like 3rd liners out there they have more upside then what we have now.

DaveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2009, 01:41 PM
Guerzy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanSoldier15U View Post

And that is the tough thing to. At this point, and by JR's nature, he likes making trades that benefit both teams' needs either now, in the future, or both in some sort of fashion. Would JR trade off Cullen for a decent prospect and/or pick right now? Probably if the return was good enough. We'd likely have to call up a kid who isn't ready for prime time... we'll likely be worse off or relatively the same... there will likely be no more wins than we're seeing now... fans will still be calling for heads (Likely Maurice, among others - Brind'Amour & his captaincy, although like Forslund said, that is an issue to be dealt with in the offseason, but will it is the question?)... it's a tough ride really no matter which direction we go. Can we find a special 'Cullen/Corvo for Barker + trade'? Who knows. It all depends on the market I suppose. If we can find a good deal then absolutely go for it, obviously. Cullen will likely be attractive now and at the deadline, so we'll likely fetch something decent for him, same goes for Corvo. Today based on contracts it would have to be the right deal and situation for both teams to make fit.

As far as waivers go, I have a hard time seeing JR place anybody on waivers here other than spare parts who aren't attractive anyway --- Yelle, maybe Samsonov, MAYBE A. Ward if JR see's what many fans see. I highly doubt any of LaRose, Cullen, Walker, Whitney, Kostopoulos, Jokinen, Cole, Brind'Amour, Corvo, Wallin, Alberts will be placed on waivers. We can likely fetch something for some of them down the road (deadline), waivers leaves us empty handed. As far as Staal, Ruutu, Pitkanen, Gleason, C. Ward go... they're likely not going anywhere.

We're not a team built to scrap guys off on waivers in my opinion & our youngsters need more time. If that's the case, hold your cards and deal them at the deadline or close to it, if we can't find a good deal now. Also giving the kids more time in Albany. I'd bet any playoff team would give something for a lot of what we would want to rid ourselves of come the deadline or close to it. Whether it be a 2nd round pick, decent prospect, 4-5th round pick... something. Better than nothing. Unless of course we could scrap a contract that is on the books for next season --- Samsonov is someone who pops in my mind, but he is likely not attractive.

Like I said, I really believe this is a tough ride. JR needs to be smart yet creative in what he does from here on in. If we're going to suck, we're going to suck... no need to make panic moves and let someone go on waivers with an expiring contract when we could get something in some sort of fashion in return for them in 2 months or so. Still have to manage our assets.

Last edited by Guerzy: 11-29-2009 at 04:55 PM.
Old
11-29-2009, 01:41 PM
Anton Skinner
DAT PASS

yeah that is a toughie on cullen. he has looked pretty damn good lately, and corvo looked great last night (save for the 3rd period where everyone looked like poo). but barker and a pick....sounds tempting. but i see the point you are making. we could make moves towards us getting younger, and dumping salaries, while still not necessarily getting better to make a push this year. and anything to get a. ward off the roster is a win in my book.

to Guerzy: The situation with Samsonov is a toughie, because he came in here from teams that put him in the basement and looked great for us. For a while. now he is not doing those things again. It seems to be what happens with the reclamation projects we pick up. The shine right out of the gate and make JR look like a genious. eventually they go right back to looking like their old selves.

About jokinen though, i see him as untouchable. if not for him we have 2 less wins this season that came on shootouts. Then again, 1 of those and our only other SO win came on the stick of Ruutu, so take that as you will. Jokinen seems to be in a bit of a slump right now, getting chances and not burrying them. But he is one of the hardest working guys out there every night.

And as far as yelle getting waived again, i dont see it. waiving him the first time obviously sent the right message, as he has been playing very well and closer to the role we picked him up for since the waiving.

Last edited by Anton Skinner: 11-29-2009 at 01:49 PM.
Anton Skinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2009, 01:54 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
RIP Kev

vCash: 2498
You have to think, though, that if the team goes into sell mode the fans will back off on the calling for heads a bit. When you know the team is rebuilding you're willing to cut them a bit of slack since there's no way Drayson Bowman or Stefan Chaput is going to come right in and light up the league. Brandon Sutter doing his thing right now is an abberation for almost any 20 year old hockey player, and he at least has a full pro season under his belt to start with.

But the fanbase is smart enough to understand that. In 2002-03 we weren't quite yet there collectively but we have learned a LOT since then.

But with the roster we have now, with literally EVERY analyst saying that the team was a virtual lock for a top 6 spot in the East and could do some real damage in the playoffs, for them to be playing like this. Heads HAVE to roll and soon.

DaveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2009, 02:32 PM
Sasha Cares
28 mph!!!!!!!

The good thing is we are going to have last place locked up soon, so it doesn't matter how much we improve, we'll still get one of the top 3 guys...

Sasha Cares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2009, 08:34 PM
Gotta Catch Em Staal
All Aboard

The race for Hall/Seguin/Fowler:

Code:
TEAM			GP	W	L	OT	PTS
Carolina 		30 	7 	18 	5 	19
Toronto 		30 	10 	13 	7 	27
Anaheim 		30 	11 	13 	6 	28
Florida 		30 	11 	13 	6 	28
NY Islanders 	31 	11 	13 	7 	29
St. Louis 		28 	12 	11 	5 	29
Minnesota 		29 	13 	13 	3 	29
NY Rangers 	29 	14 	14 	1 	29
Philadelphia 	28 	14 	13 	1 	29
Tampa Bay 		29 	11 	10 	8 	30
Edmonton 		30 	13 	13 	4 	30

Gotta Catch Em Staal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2009, 08:40 PM
Wolfpuck
5/5 Compete Level

I just hope to God this team doesn't get hot and finish 9th in the East, making this season all for nothing.

Wolfpuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2009, 08:42 PM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

I like that we are, at minimum, 4 unanswered wins combined with 4 unanswered losses by Toronto to TYING for dead last. The comfort of the standings keeps improving.