HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sulzer and Scatchard to NAS, Thuresson to MIL

Old
11-26-2009, 02:41 PM
Seth Lake

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Sulzer and Scatchard to NAS, Thuresson to MIL

Quote:
Nashville Predators President of Hockey Operations/General Manager David Poile announced today that the club has recalled defenseman Alexander Sulzer (al-ehx-AN-duhr SUHLT-suhr) and forward Dave Scatchard (DAYV SKAT-chuhrd) from Milwaukee (AHL), in addition to reassigning forward forward Andreas Thuresson (an-DRAY-uhs THUHR-eh-suhn) to the Admirals.
http://predators.nhl.com/club/news.h...id=DL|NSH|home

Move was actually expected for Sulzer, but Thuresson I think knocked his confidence a little the past two games and that fourth line simply isn't clicking right now with essentially three rookies...

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2009, 02:50 PM
OpenWheel

I like it. I thought Scatchard kick-started our toughness in front of the net when things looked grimmest. And we've maintained more of that style.

Sulzer needs to get in some games. Franson hasn't done badly, but I can't see recently that he's done well enough he's immune from platooning.

I don't get why it was important to have Sulzer travel to play a game and then travel right back. Maybe I don't understand the intricacies of conditioning. Maybe those rides are a form of isometrics.

OpenWheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2009, 02:52 PM
Jonesey
KCCO

get's his game legs back under him, without him having to play for the preds. I like the move, and I fully expect to see Franson sit this next game out.

Jonesey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2009, 02:57 PM
OpenWheel

You really think one game mixed with two trips, gets his game legs under him? I don't. In fact I think it's probably worse then a couple hard workouts without the travel. Not a big deal, he's young. And I'm sure it was fine to get a game in with some of his future teammates.

Edit: I guess it was two games. That's better I guess.

Last edited by OpenWheel: 11-26-2009 at 04:44 PM.
Old
11-27-2009, 12:39 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

I'm not sure I like this move. Why mess with what's working?

I fully expected to see Sulzer in the next game, after Franson didn't have a great one in Colorado, but all in all I don't think this is a wise decision.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2009, 01:10 PM
utmfisher19

Send a message via AIM to utmfisher19 Send a message via MSN to utmfisher19 Send a message via Yahoo to utmfisher19
Quote:
Originally Posted by barrytrotzsneck View Post
I'm not sure I like this move. Why mess with what's working?

I fully expected to see Sulzer in the next game, after Franson didn't have a great one in Colorado, but all in all I don't think this is a wise decision.
1.) because it WAS NOT working. The Thursson-Santorelli-Hornqvist line was looking awful together.

2.) Sulzer will not be in there... Franson is a #6 dman. He played like it too.... Plus, we are using him to our PP QB on the 2nd line and to create a little offense on the blueline when Weber/Suter are not out there. Sulzer does not bring this to the table.

utmfisher19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2009, 02:47 PM
nine_inch_fang

Send a message via Yahoo to nine_inch_fang
Fish I agree the forth line wasn't working but I think we'll see Sulzer in the game and I think he'll win his spot back.

Franson's mistake on that goal was HUGE. There is no way Trotz will let that go unchecked, and I don't believe he should. That was a major mental break down. Fishing for the puck with two men coming at you with speed and another breaking in down the middle on your D-partner. That's something I'm trying to fix at the Squirt level....

Edit: Just saw Glennon's blog so I might be very wrong about what Trotz is planning but it's what I'd do.

Last edited by nine_inch_fang: 11-27-2009 at 03:20 PM.
nine_inch_fang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2009, 03:58 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by nine_inch_fang View Post
Fish I agree the forth line wasn't working but I think we'll see Sulzer in the game and I think he'll win his spot back.

Franson's mistake on that goal was HUGE. There is no way Trotz will let that go unchecked, and I don't believe he should. That was a major mental break down. Fishing for the puck with two men coming at you with speed and another breaking in down the middle on your D-partner. That's something I'm trying to fix at the Squirt level....

Edit: Just saw Glennon's blog so I might be very wrong about what Trotz is planning but it's what I'd do.
It was never his spot in anything but principle, though. Sulzer has done NOTHING at the NHL level. Ever. He looked, in his best moments, okay. Nothing more.

Franson makes mistakes, but he's going to. Not only is he a rookie, he's an offense-first defenseman. Our fanbase has a long history of not understanding that these o-minded d-men are going to bring the bad with the good, it's just something you take in stride and hope doesn't happen that often. In large, I think Franson has been excellent, and I don't think he's taking the rightful spot of Sulzer or anyone. If you take Franson out, who takes his spot on the power play? How do you justify going right back to two units that were the worst in the league BY FAR?

And yes, Franson went fishing...but it's no different than what Hamhuis did in the very same period, or what Mark Eaton was notorious for in his time here. You address the issue and hope he learns...not bench him in favor of an even greener player who hasn't even done enough to justify getting such a shot.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2009, 05:40 PM
OpenWheel

No different that what Mark Eaton would do just sent cold shivers up and down my spine...

You may say it's us fans not understanding, but I see some not saying that Franson should be benched for one big mistake, but that Trotz seems to have a bit of a history of that with the younger guys. He's not the worst coach as far as that goes, but he has done it. Klein used to be the go-to doghouse defender, now it needs to be someone else. Why not Franson?

I haven't seen several of these games. Radio and vid highlights. Has Franson been playing really well on the powerplay?

Old
11-30-2009, 10:35 AM
utmfisher19

Send a message via AIM to utmfisher19 Send a message via MSN to utmfisher19 Send a message via Yahoo to utmfisher19
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenWheel View Post
Klein used to be the go-to doghouse defender, now it needs to be someone else. Why not Franson?

I haven't seen several of these games. Radio and vid highlights. Has Franson been playing really well on the powerplay?
Most of Klein's doghouse plays came because he was lazy or he would have a mental lapse. Klein, IMO, is the best skater on the team... but is SOO lazy to show it most nights. Franson, while it is not terrible, needs to keep his feet moving because of he is slow at foot (not as bad as DeVries though, lol).

Yes, Franson has really helped out the 2nd PP unit. You can tell he knows how to QB a PP and has some very nice keep-ins with his long reach and also made a few very nice "through the box" type passes that we tend to not try outside of him.

utmfisher19 is offline   Reply With Quote